What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Elvis vs the Beatles

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

and I think this just might settle the debate.

It's Halloween, your kid can either go as the undisputed King of Rock n' Roll Elvis Presley (.38 caliber snub nose revolver not included).......

aaff129.jpg

or he can be 25% of the Beatles, aka the Fab One.

aaff130.jpg

can't decide if that costume's geeky or creepy.

alii

I was at Graceland last.week making fun of westboro baptist church .
I was rocking out a very non Christian. Black tusk shirt and gave them a flyer for a metal show .

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Elvis was a DEA Agent!!

Elvis was a DEA Agent!!

Richard Nixon meets Elvis

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image[/FONT]

This is a very famous picture. According to the National Archives, this photo is the most requested item that they have. There are more requests for this photo than there are for the United States Constitution. In case you don't recognize the people in the photo, that is Richard Nixon (then President of the United States) and Elvis Presley (the king of rock-n-roll, then, now, and forever).

The picture was taken when Presley visited Nixon for the purpose of being made a "Federal Agent-at-Large" in the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. This was in December 1970. The irony of this is that Elvis had been a illegal drug user (drug abuser?) most of his adult life. Even at the time of the meeting, Elvis was doing a lot of drugs.

People have tried to reconcile Elvis' public behavior of being an outspoken critic of recreational drug use and his private behavior of being a heavy recreational drug user. One idea is that being appointed a federal drug agent was Elvis' way of arresting himself for his drug use. What was really on Elvis' mind, will never be known. But there are clues in the letter that he wrote to Nixon that indicate that there is nothing to reconcile. Let us look at the first paragraph of that letter.

First, I would like to introduce myself. I am Elvis Presley and admire you and have great respect for your office. I talked to Vice President Agnew in Palm Springs three weeks ago and expressed my concern for our country. The drug culture, the hippie elements, the SDS, Black Panthers, etc. do NOT consider me as their enemy or as they call it The Establishment. I call it America and I love it. Sir, I can and will be of any service that I can to help The Country out. I have no concern or Motives other than helping the country out. [The various typos and grammatical errors are in the original.]

There is a certain naivete in this quote that is endearing. It is easy to see why Elvis inspired such loyal fans. But mixed with this naivete is a strong dose of of gold ol' American intolerance. He seems more concerned about the fact that these groups do no love America than he is about their drug use. And his wish to become a narcotics agent seems more about punishing those who do not love America than it is about ridding the country of drugs. This is seen even more clearly later in the letter where he likens drug abuse to Communist brainwashing.

Most of the time when a drug is being publicly vilified, a certain group is being vilified along with the drug. At the turn of century, we saw opium vilified largely because it was smoked by Chinese immigrants. Harry Anslinger coined the term "marijuana" so that it would be easier to associate with Mexicans. Cocaine has long be associated with blacks. In the debate of the Harrison Narcotics Act in 1914, there were pointed racist attacks at southern blacks and these attacks were used to justify the need to control cocaine. Even today, crack cocaine--which is more associated with blacks--has higher criminal penalties than powder cocaine--which is more associated with middle class whites.

If people are not told who uses a particular drug, they have a hard time deciding whether the drug is good or bad. Test yourself, when you think of a drug, do you think of the effects of the drug or do you think of who uses the drug? For those using the drug in question, this may be hard to answer. For those with no first hand experience with the drug, the answer is the latter.
Crack Inner city blacks in a crack house
Heroin Skinny white thief
Marijuana Lazy teenager
Alcohol Various; mostly positive and based upon experience

This is not a problem that is peculiar to America. A look at world history will show that all cultures have accepted drugs and non-accepted drugs. Drug use is one important way that societies define themselves. Elvis is doing this in his letter to the president. His real problem is what the "hippie elements" stand for (whatever Elvis may have thought that was). And one of the most important things that defined hippies was their use of marijuana.

So Elvis' public and private behavior is not all that difficult to reconcile. Although 11 drugs where detected in his body at death, none of them were THC. The drugs that Elvis did were ones that people who loved America took.

link: http://www.heroinhelper.com/bored/celebrities/Elvis_and_Nixon.shtml

alii

If anyone here is planning a trip to Graceland i. Strongly recommend going to Graceland Too.

It's a truly amazing place google it !

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran

and I think this just might settle the debate.

It's Halloween, your kid can either go as the undisputed King of Rock n' Roll Elvis Presley (.38 caliber snub nose revolver not included).......

View Image

or he can be 25% of the Beatles, aka the Fab One.

View Image

can't decide if that costume's geeky or creepy.

you have problems, funny problems

skullznroses

Veteran
This is a very famous picture. According to the National Archives, this photo is the most requested item that they have. There are more requests for this photo than there are for the United States Constitution. In case you don't recognize the people in the photo, that is Richard Nixon (then President of the United States) and Elvis Presley (the king of rock-n-roll, then, now, and forever).

The picture was taken when Presley visited Nixon for the purpose of being made a "Federal Agent-at-Large" in the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. This was in December 1970. The irony of this is that Elvis had been a illegal drug user (drug abuser?) most of his adult life. Even at the time of the meeting, Elvis was doing a lot of drugs.

People have tried to reconcile Elvis' public behavior of being an outspoken critic of recreational drug use and his private behavior of being a heavy recreational drug user. One idea is that being appointed a federal drug agent was Elvis' way of arresting himself for his drug use. What was really on Elvis' mind, will never be known. But there are clues in the letter that he wrote to Nixon that indicate that there is nothing to reconcile. Let us look at the first paragraph of that letter.

First, I would like to introduce myself. I am Elvis Presley and admire you and have great respect for your office. I talked to Vice President Agnew in Palm Springs three weeks ago and expressed my concern for our country. The drug culture, the hippie elements, the SDS, Black Panthers, etc. do NOT consider me as their enemy or as they call it The Establishment. I call it America and I love it. Sir, I can and will be of any service that I can to help The Country out. I have no concern or Motives other than helping the country out. [The various typos and grammatical errors are in the original.]

There is a certain naivete in this quote that is endearing. It is easy to see why Elvis inspired such loyal fans. But mixed with this naivete is a strong dose of of gold ol' American intolerance. He seems more concerned about the fact that these groups do no love America than he is about their drug use. And his wish to become a narcotics agent seems more about punishing those who do not love America than it is about ridding the country of drugs. This is seen even more clearly later in the letter where he likens drug abuse to Communist brainwashing.

Most of the time when a drug is being publicly vilified, a certain group is being vilified along with the drug. At the turn of century, we saw opium vilified largely because it was smoked by Chinese immigrants. Harry Anslinger coined the term "marijuana" so that it would be easier to associate with Mexicans. Cocaine has long be associated with blacks. In the debate of the Harrison Narcotics Act in 1914, there were pointed racist attacks at southern blacks and these attacks were used to justify the need to control cocaine. Even today, crack cocaine--which is more associated with blacks--has higher criminal penalties than powder cocaine--which is more associated with middle class whites.

If people are not told who uses a particular drug, they have a hard time deciding whether the drug is good or bad. Test yourself, when you think of a drug, do you think of the effects of the drug or do you think of who uses the drug? For those using the drug in question, this may be hard to answer. For those with no first hand experience with the drug, the answer is the latter.
Crack Inner city blacks in a crack house
Heroin Skinny white thief
Marijuana Lazy teenager
Alcohol Various; mostly positive and based upon experience

This is not a problem that is peculiar to America. A look at world history will show that all cultures have accepted drugs and non-accepted drugs. Drug use is one important way that societies define themselves. Elvis is doing this in his letter to the president. His real problem is what the "hippie elements" stand for (whatever Elvis may have thought that was). And one of the most important things that defined hippies was their use of marijuana.

So Elvis' public and private behavior is not all that difficult to reconcile. Although 11 drugs where detected in his body at death, none of them were THC. The drugs that Elvis did were ones that people who loved America took.

link: http://www.heroinhelper.com/bored/celebrities/Elvis_and_Nixon.shtml

to my expert eye Elvis is obviously borderline trashed, at the very least twasted, during his stint with the DEA

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Elvis quite obviously did not like cannabis..........but The Beatles quite obviously loved it.....

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Elvis quite obviously did not like cannabis..........but The Beatles quite obviously loved it.....

Ding, Ding, Ding! the winner!

Elvis was really a 'straight' guy while the Beatles were Hip - parents were worried about Elvis's swivel hips
but they had no idea what they were in for - BIG cultural changes SEX, DRUGS and Rock 'n Roll, what a dynamite combination!:laughing:

skullznroses

Veteran
Okay Okay Sure Lennon liked to get high, Elvis liked fried food. Jerry Garcia loved fried chicken too.

Heres the kicker- Would Elvis have been bigger or better if perhaps he had gotten down with Mary Jane?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Heres the kicker- Would Elvis have been bigger or better if perhaps he had gotten down with Mary Jane?

No! Elvis was already very set in his ways, too old to change and let's face it - too far gone - his time was up.:headbange

Can you Imagine Elvis on Windowpane????:bigeye:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya,,,for me,,elvis the one and only king and take john lennon out of the beatles,just another merseybeat sound band,
i remember from the goldman book that elvis was a fiend for most other drugs in the latter years,,as for the beatles,,cannabis use like having a "cup of tea",, but only one king=elvis presley,,,,,peace and regards s2

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Sorry Gypsy you don't get it. If you have a script it isn't drugs it's from the Doctor. Well it's what they tell themselves.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The Kurgan said it best, though not first.

It's better to burn out than to fade away,
aaff140.jpeg

and The King went just that way.......

Kush70

If anyone here is planning a trip to Graceland i. Strongly recommend going to Graceland Too.

It's a truly amazing place google it !
i went about 3 years ago when i was living in Atlanta

loved it !

wow what a place

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Look y'all, the Elvis did uppers and downers. Speed in the AM's and 'ludes in the evening. All prescribed by a pill happy Dr. Elvis didn't think he did drugs, his MD after all gave them to him. Look at the other people around him at the time Cash, Lewis and all the other choir boys that made up rockibilly at the time.

kaochiu

Veteran
Sorry, but i can't believe there is such a discussion. Elvis or who? You mean you're comparing the actual King with those flatmate lookalikes? Some are still alive at 70! So much for rock'n'roll stars. And so much for marijuana warriors, Macca just gave up on grass alleging he had to be responsible on his new parenthood, the mummified git. Maybe if he would think about quitting before, the world would be spared of Stella's designs and all those duets with Jacko and Lionel Ritchie, bringing mall-busking to paying venues with those Wings just to please the wife. And Ringo. That guy belongs actually to the top ten. Not the pop-charts, i mean the FBI's top ten. All that beard and glasses and tacky suits, he's the real Carlos, bet your ass on it. George Harrison, he almost could be spared, but man... don't put him next to Elvis in a scenario, you wouldn't find good old George with the Hubble. Say Macca and Lennon songwriters, and as much as we can appreciate the effort in finding rhymes for composing profounds thoughts such "obladi oblada", that's not the job of a King, and Leiber&Stoller covered that end, anyway. When Elvis was already the best, he ate himself, making two Elvises into one SuperElvis matrioska style. He filled the scenario... and the first seven rows. If you see someone who looks like Lennon, you can remind yourself Lennon didn't have a dog nor played the flute, whereas if you see someone like Elvis, is probable Elvis himself. C'mon, guys, Elvis! He didn't smoke dope 'cos he was surrounded of crazy people, and maybe he had a willy strike with Priscilla Parker, but didn't stop him shagging nearly 10% of his female fans, which amounts to maybe 1billion. You can argue he was friends of Nixon and wanted to put everybody in jail, including Black Panthers, and patrolled voluntarily with his car to help the local sheriff, and sang in german and spanish, but Henry the VIII was far worst, to name just another fat king, and I'm sure if he'd tried some proper haze his hip shaking would have lasted longer than Jagger's. Bad friends he had.
As for the Beatles...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hrSL5UgjGo