What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Electronic ballast RF interference status

pico

Veteran
I guess we should also ask if it was 120 or 240 or the new switchable unit?

I had the 240 model.

clowntown

Veteran
pico said:
Yeah that is strange because I could hold my hand to my hidhut 600 ballasts. Mine also didn't have a shielded cable.

Very strange.
Possibly a "bad" part, but probably just different components that behave differently.

(My 2x250w MH electronic ballast runs warm to the touch with one bulb output. Don't know about dual output, but I'd imagine it wouldn't more than double in heat produced.)

I'm sure HID Hut isn't designing and manufacturing these ballasts themselves; but instead buying unbranded, mass-produced ones wholesale from a Chinese assembly line who sell to many different companies, who then may or may not slap on their brand sticker / nameplate on it. Chances are there are other "brands" of ballasts that are identical to HID Hut's.

jcsmooth

Good insight Clowntown, and you're probably right. I believe those hidhut ballasts are made in China, and with the quantity that Jason (The fellow who owns hidhut or manages it) sells, their ballasts just might be an unmarked namebrand ballast. Which one? Who knows. If his ballasts are unique however, I wonder how much profit margin you can make on the things since they'd be produced at his request.

Anyways, my Lumatek will be in the mail shortly.
Hi HeadyPete! Things are good with the computer....today I decided it was best to put my OS on my 60 gig hard drive and use my 160 as data storage. I had it flipped initially.
I'm such a bastard that after installing all my programs I wanted to redo it all! Today I switched 'em up and everything is running great. I love that I built it! Thanks again.

G'luck with your ballast buddy,
JC

clowntown

Veteran
Nothing real conclusive data on the FB, but one report seems to show that there is some interference.

But on top of that, I've seen more than a couple unhappy customers. Mainly to do with the fuse blowing every so often, and horrible customer service / support on faulty units or problems.

JoeMomma

If money was no object.. what would be your recommended choice for a 1000w ballast/bulb combo? I'm leaning towards the silver star by hydrotek for the hood, I just need to get a good system for it. thanks man.

~Joe

clowntown

Veteran
I think the Hydrotek Silver Star is a very nice reflector especially for a 1k setup, and also comes in 8" as well.

I haven't seen any reports of 1k Lumatek's and RF EMI yet, but I'd be cautious if not dealing with a "new generation" of the 1k's as Lumatek has been known to have RF EMI issues in the past.

I believe Galaxy and LumenAce both make 1k versions as well, but I've not seen any reports of the RF EMI status on those except for the 600w LumenAce... doesn't sound good. I think BGHydro did a write-up on the newer Galaxy models and found them to have no RF EMI issues; but some people feel that BGHydro just got slipped a fat check for writing a positive review for the same product, which they previously rated lower than Lumatek's.

As for the 1k bulbs, my personal "default" would be the EYE Hortilux but people seem to like the AgroSun Gold's.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I just one of the new 400w Galaxy digital ballasts. Im waiting on a new bulb to arrive so I can test it. Ill be sure to post that information here regarding RF interference.

-Funk

GoldDustWomen said:
PS, for those thinking about using one of these unit with a generator. Don't do it. You will fire the unit within a amount of time. These units do not work well with a generator. They will work for awhile, but in the end. You will cook them and void the warranty.
Take care,
BG

Why couldn't you put a capasitor inbetween the generator and the ballast? Much like a (UPS) Uninterrupted Power Supply that are used on computers. It smooths out the power so there are no quick voltage spikes or drops?

Last edited:
G

Ordinary Joe said:
Why couldn't you put a capasitor inbetween the generator and the ballast? Much like a (UPS) Uninterrupted Power Supply that are used on computers. It smooths out the power so there are no quick voltage spikes or drops?

Afternoon, I truely have no real clue. I do know my father has delt with large generator's all his life and he's told me. That they don't put out the same power or something like power from a home. He told me that there are some top notch generator that are good, but in the end. A computer won't last the same amount of time as one ran on home power. I really don't know for sure, but trust his imput. Something about cycles going up and down. Even alittle is not good. It's so much easier to use the old style ballast and not worry about returning them to store.
Take care,
BG

billbob

maybe a power conditioner will do the fix. Can't remember the company but they had one. Anyone know? They also sold light timers but I am drawing a blank

GoldDustWomen said:
Afternoon, I truely have no real clue. I do know my father has delt with large generator's all his life and he's told me. That they don't put out the same power or something like power from a home. He told me that there are some top notch generator that are good, but in the end. A computer won't last the same amount of time as one ran on home power. I really don't know for sure, but trust his imput. Something about cycles going up and down. Even alittle is not good. It's so much easier to use the old style ballast and not worry about returning them to store.
Take care,
BG

If I recall rightly I think the problem is that a genny produces a modified sine wave and it can play havoc with most digital equipment which require a true sine wave to operate properly.

Sine wave comparison
waveforma.jpg

A power conditioner is a very workable solution to that problem and I do believe that some UPS come with power condition features also.

Peace
GG

przcvctm

I've heard recently that the problem with my first generation Lumatek is that it is not grounded, at all. It only came with a hot and a neutral lead. I've heard that the new generation (the blue ones, I think) are grounded to the socket which was the source of the RFI leak. I'm going to be contacting Lumatek to see if they can swap me generations because I'm telling you folks, if not for the RFI problem, these electronic ballast produce unbelievable performance, especially when your used to the standard ballasts as I am.

Thanks to Clowntown for his efforts.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
400 Watt Galaxy Digital Ballast by Sunlight Supply

Digital Cable/Internet: OK
Cell phone : OK
Radio: OK

Tested with Venture 400w MH lamp.

-Funk

Last edited:

Maddlights

LumenAce Digital Ballast w/Universal Socket

Light Manufacturing Co. is proud to introduce the top of the line LumenAce® Digital Ballast.

What’s so great about digital? When compared to a standard core & coil ballast, you will find the LumenAce® is smaller, lighter, and completely silent.

The built-in high-frequency microprocessor is able to recognize different lamp characteristics, giving the proper amount of power output and consistent color rendering. This not only reduces energy use by 20% but increases the life of the lamp by 3X.

The LumenAce® comes with a 15ft detachable and adjustable universal socket assembly and will burn both MH and HPS lamps. With a 4 year no-hassle replacement warranty, (2 years for 1000w) the LumenAce® offers one of the best warranties on the market.

This has all the appearance of a local brand however I've seen them outside of my local grow shop.
I have been running the 600watt 120v with an Agromax bulb for the last30 days.
I love it!
no RF issues
Cell Phone OK
Digital Cable TV & internet OK
Radio OK

clowntown

Veteran
Which radio band? What type of Internet connection? Which cell phone carrier (doubt it matters, it appears these don't cause any problems on any cell phone frequencies)? Do you have any other electronic equipment nearby, and if so, which and how far and in what type of configuration?

Maddlights

Clowntown- Cell phone tested with a motarola & Samsung on Cingular
Tons of electronics -my studio is nearby 10' away
For the radio I ran the full AM & FM bands and just a few minutes ago I check all 24 bands of my CB radio. I must also note that power to the house is fully surge surpressed and rewired (new panel & wire) 2 years ago.

We need more threads like this!

nUt_jOb

I have the 600 watt eLux ballast that is sold on wormsway and many other places. It has had zero interferance with anything (I have everything you have listed and more). It also incorporates the time delay when power is lost.. which is nice.

Sorry for the sucky pic.. I can do better if it matters

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts