What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Electronic ballast RF interference status

G

600W switchable HPS/MH ballast from HTG Supply

600W switchable HPS/MH ballast from HTG Supply

The brand name is Digital Greenhouse. It is made in China and is clearly marked as such on one end of the housing. I couldn't find a model number - it does have a number on one end 2006-04-061 but that sounds too much like a production date to me to be a model number. It is the ballast that came with my 600W HPS/MH switchable, 120v/240v from HTG Supply. It is identical to the picture here and both cords are non-removable. I'm happy with my purchase and after having spoken to a young man with HTG Supply, I'm also pleased with the attitude of their employees.

No interference noted in any electronics.

FM radio: OK
Cordless phone: OK
Cell phone: OK
Wireless network: OK
Satellite TV: OK
Computer (4ft away): OK

As far as I can tell, this ballast is interference free.

Note: When this light is running, both ISOBAR surge protectors in my home office sound like a very distant gang of cricketts chirping. Beats me. No other circuits in the house were affected so I have to assume that when I install the new breakers I plan to install tomorrow, putting this ballast on a new circuit will take care of that problem.

Last edited:

icough2getoff

^^^^ I have the exact same ballast as mojo. Also have a similar report

FM radio: OK
Cell phone: OK
Wireless network: OK
Cable Internet:OK
Analog & Digital Cable TV: OK
Computer: OK

Notes: I've used this ballast for about 4 months and I've been happy with it so far. Nothing weird and no apparent interference.

Last edited:
G

I've been watching and reading all the reports and post. I don't know if other's have noticed, but the Electronic Ballast are running cheaper then the old styles units. I've been searching around and compairing prices and it seems. These units are prices lower then the old magnet units. To me, that's a great value. Personally, I can't use the Electonic unit. I'll be setting up a grow using a generator and the generator will fry all the ballast. It kind of sucks, but atleast i know what ballast to buy from my use of the older ones. Take care all and alot of great info being posted. Sounds like this old RF problem has been solved with most of the units.
Later,
BG

clowntown

Veteran
So I have a Sylvania GroLux bulb as a backup to my EYE Hortilux. No problems firing it whatsoever on my blue Lumatek. Didn't look like it was having any trouble at all.

I do understand that the Lumateks have had trouble firing them reliably, however, and that they can sometimes fire while sometimes not. So what troubles have you guys had with GroLux's and Lumatek's, and which version of the Lumatek's?

ElDust

After 3 weeks of the guy taking forever to ship, I finally received my 250 watt HPS digital ballast (http://hidhut.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46_21_35&products_id=52). It works real good, extremely quiet (I didn't even think it was on), does heat up but not a lot, you can still hold it and what not. Anyways, my cell phone works great around it, everything seems to work fine, except one problem. When I turn on my tv that is in the same room, there are tons of lines all over, and when I unplug the ballast they go away. It's really not that big of a deal to me, but it might be to someone else.

Last edited:

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
ElDust said:
After 3 weeks of the guy taking forever to ship, I finally received my 250 watt HPS digital ballast (http://hidhut.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46_21_35&products_id=52). It works real good, extremely quiet (I didn't even think it was on), does heat up but not a lot, you can still hold it and what not. Anyways, my cell phone works great around it, everything seems to work fine, except one problem. When I turn on my tv that is in the same room, there are tons of lines all over, and when I unplug the ballast they go away. It's really not that big of a deal to me, but it might be to someone else.

The same thing happens when I plug my radio into the same outlet as my drill's battery charger. I think that if you were to put it on another circuit, the problem would go away. You'll get that with a lot of appliances.

Last edited:

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Oops - forgot.

What's all the excitement with the Lumatek ballasts and digital green houses? Prices seem a bit higher than some of the sellers on ebay. From what I've seen - everything seems basically the same, a lot of people seem to have all the same stuff as the next guy. Different cases from seller to seller in some cases.

GoldDustWomen said:
Personally, I can't use the Electonic unit. I'll be setting up a grow using a generator and the generator will fry all the ballast.

The ones that are self adjusting to the input power usually run from 90 - 260 volts and supposedly keep the output current steady when the input fluxuates. May be a solution to your problem. Good luck.

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
SpacedCWBY said:
What's all the excitement with the Lumatek ballasts ...
The excitement, for me, on the Lumatek's is this quote (and I've seen it a few separate occasions from people who have been able to compare):

Tomatoesonly said:
I just want to add that this guy, at HIDHUT, does stand behind his ballasts. Even though they only have a 1 year warranty, he will stand behind that and not try to weasel out of it.

I would also like to add, that comparing the Lumatek, Lumenace ballasts to his 600 is night and day. His 600's have the same feel as my lumenace 400's. They are much smaller and lighter than a 600W Lumenace or Lumatek.
Plus the 5 year warranty, of course, which I'm hoping I'll never have to use. If I get 5 years of problem-free use out of it, I'll be more than happy. The Lumatek's sold by MD Hydro are only a little bit more expensive than the HID Hut's.

vodoochild

I bought two of the Lumatek (blue) 600w models from my regular hydro store on clearance as they were no longer going to carry them. Im not going to say what i paid for them cause id probably be stoned for not buying everyone here one :bat: but ive been running them for the past five weeks, going into six with the eye horti and have absolutly no trouble with them. Ive had a couple quick power outages that took them out but as soon as they cooled automaticly fired up again no troubles at all. LOVE THEM. Saved my ass im sure on couple occasions. I would buy a couple more at the price if they still had them. I bought a local brand 400 from the same place but it went out after four weeks. Right in the middle of flower. bummer. but they are cool guys there and got me fixed up within a couple days. My tomato harvest! lmao. So i was wary of buying digital again. But these have been beautiful to me so far and with the five year warrenty, how can you go wrong? Also, they do save in bills, and every little bit helps.

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Just a heads up. I am not sure if your digital ballasts do but mine used on my power compacts cause faulse readings or incorrect pH readings if near the ballast.

To check to see if yours fluctuates. Just turn it on your pH/ec/ppm or whatever digital pH device you use from about 15ft away then notice if the readings begin to change when you approach your ballast.

The new Hanna 98129 seems to alter slightly. I have noticed my cheaper pens are allover the place. Just something to be aware of.

clowntown

Veteran
Thanks! That's interesting... Hu$tle Tree$ also mentioned that same problem with his older model Lumatek's. I'll try mine in a little while, when I do the AM/FM testing along with testing on my 250w as well.

damakkus

West Coast ICer
I chased that one for about a month before I figured it out. I had my ballast hanging next to the plants but close enough to alter the readings.

Thought I should share the findings. My new meter the hanna 98129 seems to have good electronics inside or at least resiliant to the interference with microprocessor. It will drift maybe a tenth if I hold it next to the ballast.

ElDust

Disregard what I've said about the heat on the HIDHut.com ballasts. They get EXTREMELY hot after about 3 hours plugged in, the heat hurt even with gloves on, it was insane. And the thing that gets me is in the description, there is:
run much cooler

Made me think of how much hotter the other ones are.

Also
The ballasts are FCC tested and certified to produce NO RF interference, eliminating the need for shielded cables.

They still make lots of lines all over my TV even with a new shielded cable.

Last edited:

jcsmooth

Thanks ElDust for the review and update on the hidhut ballast.
Makes me glad I just purchased a new Lumatek 400 watt (blue model). The potential threat to security from these cheap ballasts is just not worth it to me or anyone.

I'll make sure to post my review of the Lumatek once I get it up and running.

JC

clowntown

Veteran
ElDust said:
Shielded cable on the ballast, or on the TV? Are you getting the interference through standard analog cable? Digital cable? UHF/VHF antenna?

pico

Veteran
Yeah that is strange because I could hold my hand to my hidhut 600 ballasts. Mine also didn't have a shielded cable.

Very strange.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran

unplug cable from TV and see if lines disappear. If so, then try cable isolator on your TV cable line.

If not try EMI/RFI filter either at ballast end or TV end. I bet the interference is coming from the ballast through the house AC ground system. If you filter at the ballast then that should stop interference from getting into the ground at all. Problem is the cost for a filter to handle the current of the ballast is pricey.

This http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...g=1&origkw=filter&kw=filter&parentPage=search may be better for the TV end but it is cheap so don't expect miracles with heavy interfence problems.

Thanks everyone for the research and info. I am following this thread with great interest.

Hey JC, how's the computer? I am considering that exact ballast you have so I am looking forward to the review.