What's new

Electricity Usage and "Cops"

Exactley...

Exactley...

GDB said:
I really do hope that bull$#!+ does not fly in court especially here in the states. Have they thrown this level of privacy out the door in Canada without a fight? It really goes against all good judgement to let these types of things happen. I have no problem when the powers that be use decisive means to affect terror plots, take down huge crime syndicates, or try to protect our borders from serious threat. However, when we start to throw all basic principals and freedoms out the door and subsequently infect our homes with paranoia SOMETHING has to give. Are you really worried about your electric? :bashhead: I'd be 100x more worried bout some pig with a FLIR and an itching to bust someone, usually anyone they can get their hands on. Hang with criminals much? Do you even think the combined wattage of every member on this site would amount to something remotely notable? Anyone else notice the amount of people on here constantly spreading propaganda and paranoia?

I'll repeat myself...Electrical usage(within limits) by itself is not means enough to warrant any precipitous fear or extreme paranoia so UFCK what you heard. Don't give into the frenzy, they truely want you to perceive it, remember it's a mental judgement. I 100% honestly do not feel what I do is illegal, my neighbors couldn't say shit to me if I got busted etc., or at any level would it ever mean any uber-harsh realities or insanely long prison sentences(never been busted for blowing up my own SPOT ya see?). Therefore some of you with all to lose and nothing to gain (commercial growers) might want to reconsider exactly why you do what you do. If you want to thrive in this country and make due you have to step outside the bounds and if you can't live with that then this is surely the last subject matter to concern you. Everyone grab those hoods and ballasts and get back to work, damned if you do damned if you dont! Now I'm gonna go smoke me a big effing fatty and inspect my buds and know that the cops AREN'T looking for ME, and one hundred million thousand percent likely won't be ANYTIME soon.

"Oh no just posted some pics of my grow oh the Internet to some servers in europe through some untraceable proxies and not one shred of evidence points back to me, maybe I should delete my account and tear down my grow."
:laughing:
Propaganda is every where all the time,i can't stand people all up in my ear talkin about high hydro bills and how much money they think they can make this year.STOP LISTENING TO THE NEWSPAPERS/THE T.V./PEOPLE THAT DONT GROW.This is what happens when you use alot of power > the hydro company will come to your house to check the accuracy of your meter and some of those will be grows and yes alot of growers are stupid and they don't use carbon filters or try to reduce noise ect but what it all comes down to is stupidity,always determine light numbers buy the size of the service for example 100amp=10k,200amp=20k and always run two rooms on a flip and a veg room at another location as this will reduce your kWh 20% or more.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
DIGITALHIPPY said:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid:561535

thats a badass article...
but that works for both parties involved..
im sure they also compare the records to previouse years useage... what a database...

anyways if you live in an area, say california, New York and other places where there are alot of indoor grows and the large useage spread out through the city turns the numbers in our favor.

For anyone curious to know, the judge denied the motion to suppress, ruling that LEO utility record fishing is NOT a violation of 4th amendment rights. Colby entered a guilty plea to one count of manufacturing in a plea agreement and is currently awaiting sentencing.

EDIT: Thought Id expand a bit so everyone understands what this means. The bad news is that now a sitting federal court district judge has ruled that LEO and the power companies can legally fish for high usage as basis for a search warrant with little to no other evidence in support of the warrant. The good news is that Colby does not appear to be appealing the denial so it will not be ruled on in federal appeals court. It would be VERY bad precedent if the appeals court upheld the district judge's ruling. If they did, it would then give his ruling the weight of law and could be cited as case law across the country in similar situations (giving nationwide LEO the green light to forget trash pulls and just focus on power bills). Since he's not appealing, the ruling means nothing to anyone except Colby himself. On the other hand, if it were appealed and the appeals court reversed the ruling then it would stand as case law that LEO can't just fish utility records as probable cause for a search warrant.

Last edited:
G

ItsGrowTime said:
For anyone curious to know, the judge denied the motion to suppress, ruling that LEO utility record fishing is NOT a violation of 4th amendment rights.

EDIT: It would be VERY bad precedent if the appeals court upheld the district judge's ruling. If they did, it would then give his ruling the weight of law and could be cited as case law across the country in similar situations (giving nationwide LEO the green light to forget trash pulls and just focus on power bills).
Jebus...

C

cway

If you are going to be using that much power.. Get a Generator.. Unless your running over 30 lights, you can find some pretty cheap... 25000KWH capacity.. Shit load of power and whisper quiet.. .. Stay Invisbible,dont give them piggies anything to make them suspicious. WE are not free in this counrty anymore, and any information can be used against you at will.. The Patriot Act have given away the few rights that we had left. damn this goverment pisses me off.. I swear that when my kids are older I am retiring in mexico, they are about to legalize pot cultivation on all scales.. :jump:

twojoints

cway said:
If you are going to be using that much power.. Get a Generator.. Unless your running over 30 lights, you can find some pretty cheap... 25000KWH capacity.. Shit load of power and whisper quiet.. .. Stay Invisbible,dont give them piggies anything to make them suspicious. WE are not free in this counrty anymore, and any information can be used against you at will.. The Patriot Act have given away the few rights that we had left. damn this goverment pisses me off.. I swear that when my kids are older I am retiring in mexico, they are about to legalize pot cultivation on all scales.. :jump:

theyre always saying they will legalize shit down there, but then they always admit the US government wouldnt let them. :fsu: youre right, this isnt a free country. honestly the people of america need to protest on the 4th of july. dont go to the fireworks, EVERYONE should go out and buy their OWN. and light them in their OWN yards. the hell with collectively celebrating a "freedom" we had 200 years ago. i dont want to see fireworks inside this cage called america.

C

cway

I agree.. No 4th of JUly.. None should vote on the upcoming elections either, or pay taxes.. I bet if it was enough people doing this what are they gonna do? Put everyone in jail? if you refuse to pay taxes then they cant fund the jail.. if its enough people it might work.. Just dreaming though..

Pot Cultivation is really split in two parts in Mexico.. You have three major political parties in Mexico the PAN and the PRI and PRD.. Most PAN and PRD politicians are the "Good Guys that Tap Dance for the US goverment" Wink Wink type thing... The PRI mostly is loaded with politicians on the payroll of the biggest Mexican Drug Cartels for decades and they have been in office for a while, until Recenty the last two Presidents have tried to clean it up.. Its Still damn near legal.. Only way the Government raids your fields over there is because your dont have the politicians on your payroll, and if you do have them in your pockets they even supply you with Mexican Army to protect your crops.. If you go the ranches and hills with pueblos pot cultivation is very common on small scales in Backyard and gardens.. If a cop comes by and sees it just give him couple bucks and a spliff and he on his way..

twojoints

well you sound like you know lots more about mexico then i do. although as white as i am i would likely be going to canada if anywhere!

who would have ever thought it would be a good choice to flee america when there wasnt even a draft going on?

The local cops have a local tv show the air once a week. One show the had to find where someone lived. So the cop looked up the electric records at his office and found the guys house. The stated on the show the have access to electric bills.

G

A generator is a great idea. But in the city, not so much. Run it on natural gas and you are still burning up the utility. Diesel? Too many deliveries with no discernable "need" and you can get popped. Exhausting it is also a problem in the suburbs. Shite.

Ajunta Pall

If you have a secure yard, whether in the city, suburbs, or country, than you can use a generator. Put the thing outside -because of the carbon monoxide emissions- build a cover for it so that it is not easily seen, and it will cut down on the noise it makes. Now mind you, I'm talking about one of those portable deals, not one of the bigger ones that cost thousands of $$$. Those can be subject to local codes and ordinances which means someone from city hall could pop by at anytime to inspect it or whatever.

If you plan on buying one, you can get a 5000 to 6000 watt generator for under a grand that can run for 12-13 hrs at half capacity. The only draw back is that you're gonna have to refeul it after every use.

Grizz

Veteran
Recently being busted I can offer a little insight to this thread, The narc was pretty cool if a narc can be cool, and he askrd me how much my elect bill was a month. My bill in summer had been running around 450 a month and in winter 280 to 300 a month,I told him around 300 a month and he thought that was pretty high . I then ask him if they checked power bills and he said not as a rule , but if they had suspession they had ways of checking with the power copany to see if it was running high, MY recent bill was 120 dollors so I hooked up some old 400 w lights and started a veg garden just to keep my power usage up and see if they come knocking again.

wondering are there a large number of growers running split flower rooms to spread their power usage over 24 hours? i've currently got one flower room running from 6pm to 6am. and plan on expanding to another room for the day hours.

I imagine that the 1/2 the amount of power being used 24 hrs a day would look better than say 600/1000 watt lights clicking on for only 12 hours at a time.

G

patrick - I use a flipper with thousands and it does work well, but it's still a shitton of power. Whether they are looking for 12/12 or total kw - I don't know.

I'm tired of living in fear. I'm going outdoor.

jackjo

So last post on here was back in april of 08 I can offer a little bit of insigh I think as I am subcontracted by a power company and am friends with many of the lineman.

First those that say run your lights at night because thats when power companies have alot of power for you thats wrong actually the power company in my area has recently raised their rates because of people using electric baseboard heating at night.... it caused more of a nighttime draw which they weren't used to.

Second, it doesn't matter now if you have a digital or an old style meter... with the new rf technology they can and will be able to tell because with rf. its usually hooked up to your water heater/a.c. system so they can shut you off during peak loads... not all power comapnies have this but some do.

Third, saying that a meter read won't figure your bill is completely incorrect at power companies granted it does depend on their size the meter readers will do the data entry work and when he does it if theres a huge jump he will notice it flag it and you will get a call from the power company granted more than likely they will just ask you if its correct but none the less "ramping" up your power months before the grow and then letting that high power ride for a month is worth it in my opinion.

Fourth, a power company that has a meter installed at your residence acreage whatever has i say again has the permission to come on your land whenver they want its in the fine print when you get your power turned on... if you refuse they will shut off your power... and then come out with the sheriff to get their equipment off your land/house.

Hope that helps

Macster2

The only thing I'd like to add is if leo was data mining,grows would be falling like flies.My pattern of usage is very distinctive and I've been growing at least 2 yrs now. Power usage does come up in court cases but from what I've read only after leo was onto the grow for other reasons.In my area a court order has to be obtained to receive this info.

By the way I read that a BC court ruled that the RCMP were NOT allowed to enter a house with the electric co. safety inspectors. This was challenged by a grower who refused entry to the RCMP.

del...

but if you're living in mexico why even bother growing? it's so damn cheap to buy from others that having a large grow would be extremely wasteful because who are you going to sell the excess to? export it to the usa...? now that'll open up a whole new set of probs, including dealing with the cartels already well involved in smuggling and they don't care much for competition and then there's customs and leo over here...kind of a double whammy! maybe you could mail it back but i doubt if that would last long and wouldn't be good for larger amounts (5lbs+) on a single transaction.

small grows under 2.5K shouldn't worry about electrical use...

Del, where do you get 2.5k from?? just a guess im assuming... 2.5k in a 1 br apt is a lot diff then 2.5k in a 3000 squarefoot house

im of the opinion that if you pay your bill they wont bother you. and i think generators are a great idea for ppl using crazy amounts of power.

Macster2

I looked extensively at generators and not an option for most.First a gas one won't hold up for any length of time so you have to go diesel which are large,expensive,dirty and noisey.So unless you have acreage forget it.