What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Edible Mushroom Hunters/Gatherers...

OP HERE... Thanks for keeping this thread going...@@

Moving to Maine, will be enjoying all the myriad mushroom picking opp'tys there.

Found ONE Morel on the property I live on. Same as last year, one. haha.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Better guard that patch, lol. I remember one time on an early forage I found 1 black morel. A bit disappointed but it was better than nothing. What do you do with 1 morel? Chop it up and fry it in with some scrambled eggs.

k-s-p

Veteran
ever fish below the Lay Lake/Mitchell Lake dams? biggest crappies i have ever seen/caught in my life...

Damn sorry I missed this AOH, but no never have hit those places. Specks are one of my faves.

As for mushrooms, I picked a small basket of Chanterelle this evening. Rain again Friday so hoping for a good flush following that.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
(Mittensmitten is ME) It's been awesome Downeast Maine. In the yard of the house I am in, there was a huge flush of Boletes and Suillus mushrooms. Most were edible. Yummy goodness. Hoping for another flush after the next bunch of rains. But, prob will get a few good freezes after that negating and ending the season until Spring. Cheers..!!!

stasis

Veteran
No more flushes... A few oddballs. No boletes. But, ONE LARGE CHANTERELLE>..!

It was a great few weeks.. I love it, and must have built up my immune system with all those great shrooms. !

Cheers.

meizzwang

Some Craterellus tubaeformis in Alaska, found in some Sphagnum bogs growing with wild cranberries, blueberries, carnivorous plants!
31293963144_a33c11b53f_c.jpg

Cranberries-these were so sour, they make your A hole pucker, haha:
32016421151_57b92c8da2_c.jpg

The Haul. Nice thing is, bog grown mushrooms were dirt free and very easy to clean, requiring no wiping or washing, which made them easy to cook since they were relatively dry (it hadn't rained in a while up there when we visited). If you can't get them to "scream" in the pan, they'll taste like dirty socks, but keep them frying rather than boiling, and wow, the flavor is out of this world! My friend's step dad said it was the best mushrooms he's ever had in his life, and dude's eaten a lot of mushrooms!
32016414061_ed4fca442c_c.jpg

Habitat shot, who would have thought edible mushrooms grew in bogs like this?
31293863484_68ce06a92f_c.jpg

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Great pictures of the Craterellus. It should be noted that in the pacific northwest these go by the common name yellow foot and are around in winter even after the golden chanterelle has stopped fruiting.

stasis

Veteran
Oh yeah, Yellowfoot. We used to find sometimes a place with a lot of em, in Mendocino Coastal. Cheers. Looks like Maine, Washington County is done for the year.. Spring will be so exciting for Me, my first one here

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Ive been getting about a lb of shiitakes off my logs every couple days for the last week or so.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
last day of turkey season tomorrow. gonna go early, look for morels when turkeys blow me off, and come home early. too damn hot today...:moon:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I'm not finding any good mushrooms here despite some heavy rains and cool nights.
I did just finish up a basket of oysters I grew on pasteurized straw though.