What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Edible Mushroom Hunters/Gatherers...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i only got to hunt morels one morning this spring because of @#$%^%$ work. found eleven though. delicious...:biggrin:

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Soon - Soon, it will be time to get in the woods again. It is not entirely about the mushrooms at all. But how nice to find some tasty morels. ... .... ! How was this winter in Rural Coastal Norcal..? My home of 10+ years. Used to bring home Candy Caps, Hedgehogs, Boletes, and eat Jelly (tongue-shaped gel like) Mushrooms raw if I found em. (Cancer fighters from HELL, not super tasty good or bad)

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
I am going to attempt to find some mushrooms this spring....know for a fact we have chicken in the woods here....wish we has morels but since nobody I talk to recognizes them they must not grow here in the SouthEast

Betterhaff

Veteran
Dinner plate...

Attachments

• 5.15.jpg
    5.15.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I used to be able to find liberty caps all over town where I grew up. Where I live now I have no luck. 8 years here and not a single one found. Ahh the good ole days

stasis

Veteran
I am going to attempt to find some mushrooms this spring....know for a fact we have chicken in the woods here....wish we has morels but since nobody I talk to recognizes them they must not grow here in the SouthEast

They're there right now, according to Chris Matherly (in georgia)

stasis

Veteran
I wouldnt know what to look for. I have eaten poisonous mushrooms before.

It is not impossible to learn which ones to stay away from.

A couple rules that will keep ya safe.

1 - Any doubt, throw it out

2- THose mushrooms with poisonous lookalikes are to be avoided unless positive, due to further training -

spore prints, scratching stems, cap, or gills, etc., and noting any bleeding colors, as well as what it means. Generally, most say to avoid blue-staining mushrooms. But, there are a couple exceptions.

Rule #1 again.

churtmunk

Greetings folks,

I'm new to ICmag, but think I'll be right at home here. I love me some foraging. I'm here in the mitten state and bounties can be a plentiful. Here are a couple shots from a morel harvest after a burn. This was an incredible harvest and we didn't even scratch the surface. Full harvest not pictured.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
morels being reported here now. finally got a few showers to go with the warm spring we are having. gonna have to get out there lookin' for morels & listening for turkeys. season opens next Saturday...:woohoo:

stasis

Veteran
I found ONE meaty black morel on my lawn. Ate it. Marked the spot.

After the next rains, maybe it will kick in a good flush.

Mesick Mushroom Festival May 6-8. S of TC. Always a cool event.

Thanks for stopping by, Y'all..!!

Tynehead Tom

mushrooms! just found this thread
I have a killer spot on the BC west coast, high up in the mountains. Depending on the season, along with hunting the black tail deer, I generally do quite well for morels, chantrells and Pine mushrooms. Pines are worth good money but I never sell them. You haven't eaten a mushroom until you have pan fried 1/2" thick slices of pine mushroom in a pan of garlic butter and olive oil, along side a couple of venison chops. Food of the fricken gods LOL

Betterhaff

Veteran
Mesick Mushroom Festival May 6-8. S of TC. Always a cool event.
With Mother's Day early this year they're going to need a break in the weather. On a roller coaster here a bit south. We had warm early but it was dry, then got some rain but now it's quite cool. Any reports of any finds yet? I've been tempted to do some foraging but don't think it's quite right yet, if anything maybe some blacks.

Tynehead Tom

with the recent forest fires over last couple years in the BC coastal range.... it's gonna be a kickass mushroom season come fall ;)
I'll try and check back in with this thread during the mushroom season here and post some pics. I'll probably be spending some time over on Haida Gwaii as well (formerly Queen charlotte Islands) and the mushroom picking their is world famous.... especially for the magical kinds LOL

Betterhaff

Veteran
Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo

Sautee one chopped morel in a pat of butter for a few minutes, crack in an egg and scramble. No salt. No pepper. Delicious!

Attachments

• Cinco de Mayo.jpg
    Cinco de Mayo.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 34