What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ecsd...

~star~crash~

i was gifted a single SD cut this spring ...she kind of struggled all season long , but got pretty big w/ nice flowers, i really wanted to taste some real sour once again so i brought her inside for special treatment ,, she swelled up , but still does not look as swollen as i would have liked , also for some reason she attracted a lot of bud worm eggs & over the last 3 weeks the fuckers have made themselves known ...lol ... if you've had cattcaterpillarsing in your flowers then you understand what i mean ... i will get some good Sour , but damn ... the butterflies only wanted the Sour out of many different varieties!

Americangrower

Veteran
Last fall I got 3 diesel cuts from a friend --AJ's, Shroomy's Original Diesel (amish diesel) and Sour Diesel he'd kept since '06. He had the terp profiles analyzed at a lab and they all came back exactly the same. Also said they grew and smoked that same in his garden

I ran Shroomys and Aj's side by side and they were the same. Have't run the 06 yet. They came out just as I remember the ecsd/ chaco's.

Well I have never grown AJ but if the story he says is true. That they grave Chemdog a cut of sour d for MSS then how can there be any difference between them. Thats the way I always looked at it.

Blaze 12

Lol it doesn’t stop ...who knows if we will ever know what really happened but from the horses mouth (not AJ) there was more seeds and also more then 1 seed cracked

metracek

Veteran
ECSD trichome forest :)

picture.php

mack 10

Veteran
lovelly. that dhk cut is a great cut when you dial her in.
`11 weeks of love needed, but dam shes tastey.

Beautiful, West-EU!

I've recently received 5 parasite-free clones of "Sour Diesel" from a co-worker's friend. All 5 were very rootbound in 2 L pots and starving. I kept the two 'greenest' ones as mother's and are vegging the other three in 3 gals.

Long story short, I want to know if this is ECSD, an S1(Dr. GT's presumably, as I'm in Canada or a another seedline.

Disclaimer: Pictures will be taken and posted.

As I've read through this thread I have a question for any and all sour aficionados: When ECSD's leaf margins curl upwards like a canoe or a tunnel, is that because its Mg hungry?
To clarify, hybrids of ECSD, documented in this thread have that trait, but I guess to rephrase the question, is that trait visible when she's dialed in and happy?

beta

Veteran
When ECSD's leaf margins curl upwards like a canoe or a tunnel, is that because its Mg hungry?
To clarify, hybrids of ECSD, documented in this thread have that trait, but I guess to rephrase the question, is that trait visible when she's dialed in and happy?

I've grown LOTS of SD, all of the well known cuts. Taco leaf is not a Sour Diesel trait. It *is* sensitive to heat, and taco leaf is a symptom of overheating. It's also a symptom of Hemp Russet Mites. If it's not hot (78F+), I'd scope for them.

Potted these up last week.

There in a 5x5 room with a 600w eyehortilux HPS. Temps are 74ºF(23ºC) and RH is 45-50%, probably could be a little higher. I don't think temp. is the issue. The last three pics are all the same plant and to my eye's are only suffering from N-deficiency. The first one is really showing the taco curl, maybe too close to the light? Their at least 16" away.

beta

Veteran

There in a 5x5 room with a 600w eyehortilux HPS. Temps are 74ºF(23ºC) and RH is 45-50%, probably could be a little higher. I don't think temp. is the issue. The last three pics are all the same plant and to my eye's are only suffering from N-deficiency. The first one is really showing the taco curl, maybe too close to the light? Their at least 16" away.
[/url]

These look like they're suffering some kind of deficiency / lockout to me. SD is a picky bitch and she'll always be the first to show any problems. I get Diesels that look a lot like this when the coco dries out at all. Dry coco = concentrated salts and wildly swinging pH.

If your medium is coco I'd suggest watering / feeding more frequently. If your medium is soil make sure you have something like dolemite lime amended in to buffer the pH.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
By chance did you cut top her , up pot, and put her under a 600 the same day??? Also what did you water with n what brand coco?

They're in 3+ year old ROLS. There's really no problem, guys. My initial inquiry was from a genetic standpoint.
They are probably a seedline derivative, which is fine. They also came from somebody who doesn't have mothers, so they're far from the original. Excited none the less as I know there was a clone of SD floating around. I also know that ECSD is in NS, as well. We'll see.

I won't post anymore pics until I've flowered out clones from these mothers once they've fully recovered, which are actually rebounding nicely. They're under a 200w cfl with a couple T5's.

And yes stoney917, I didn't have the space in my veg areas for all 5 so the 3 worst off ones are in my 5x5 flower room to be flowered in a couple weeks as that's where I had space. I don't expect much as the other two are worse off then the one pictured above.

Thanks for your input, beta. I understand this will probably be the most difficult plant to grow. It's the only 'cut' I've ever wanted, so I'm going to work at it.

I have some x4 Headbangers in veg now, so at least I'll have a legitimate sour line to compare it to.

Americangrower

Veteran

Americangrower

Veteran
Nice read...LOL I never believed their story of breeding to Nl and DNL and this and that. They were cash cropping at 5 bills a zip who would waste time and space making seeds back then.

I will stick to my original opinion which has always been hermi made seeds. I think either selfed Chem/Diesel or MSS but what do I know.

Burt

Veteran
The trick with sour diesel is to be on top of the cal/ mag fiasco right from the start
I always amend my coco right off the bat with a handful of dolomitic lime and keep on top of things with ORGANIC molasses
Organic molasses has almost twice the calcium as regular molasses
Also, the heat sensitivity was not my finding
Due to demand, I had to expand and toss some trees in a room with no environmental controls-temps often exceeded 110! No problems mon

Burt

Veteran

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75786&pictureid=1817255&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75786&pictureid=1817258&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75786&pictureid=1817262&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75786&pictureid=1817263&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

C/mag deficiency all the way, combined with underfeeding in general-the first pic shows only new leaves tacoing
That’s cause calcium is immobile, meaning new leaves cannot sequester it from older ones. You’ll be fine if you amend with cal/mag
If your really cheap, just use outgassed tap water-it usually has plenty of cal and mag
Don’t give up though-when you get the hang of her and run her to 10 full weeks, you’ll have the best smoke on the block and many new friends

Scrappy-doo

Here is probably the most important piece of info I gathered from the comments. This is the guy who actually popped the seed, responding to Weasel and his version of the story:

growmoremids @kloppglass: I’m beginning to think that you are talking about a completely different plant than the Sour that I know. Now, I can’t really say what exactly transpired after I left NY in the fall of 96, but I certainly know what went down before. It seems that the upstate side of the story has been largely omitted from the general narrative — so here I am to try and shed some light. First. This was a series of happy accidents coupled with an equal number of unfortunate events. Sour was not intentionally bred. Secondly, Sour is not the daughter of Chem, she is the grand-daughter. Let me explain...

growmoremids:This all started in the early 90’s... Chem made her way to NYC. There was a group of us who were all brought together because of a shared love of the Grateful Dead, glass and good weed. Around this time the Chem started making her rounds... no one liked the name “Chem” and we collectively began referring to her as the Diesel. Diesel started of as a descriptive for anything we would pay $500+ an ounce for, to which the Chem/Diesel became the defacto standard. I was fortunate to have access and was lucky to collect a bean here and there when they would mysteriously end up at the bottom of a jar. Even though I wasn’t gardening at the time, I had the foresight to collect the beans. By the time it came to put the seeds in the dirt, whose to say how many different Chem crops my small purse of seeds came from. So whose the daddy? That is the million dollar question. And one I believe to be unanswerable without the help of science.

growmoremids:It wasn’t until the winter of 94-95 that these seeds were germinated. Swell and I got a place in upstate NY to start our first garden. I was supposed to get a Chem cut after I brought back a bunch of seeds from Amsterdam for my friend with the Chem; but you can guess how that went. No cut for you! Instead he gave me some RFK beans and some Kyle Kushman’s PK beans. Thank you!!!Fortunately, we had collected those Chem bag seeds. Out of the dozen or so seeds, only 3-4 made it to finish to which the #2 was selected as the keeper and revegged. The others were either hermed the f out or meh. But not the #2, she was a beaut. And what would you know— more happy accidents, seeds in the #2! So whose the daddy here? We can limit this to only a handful of potential donors. The RFK’s were banana factories. If I saw that shit today, it would get culled with a quickness... back then we didn’t know any better. The Chem seeds all showed hermed tendencies too... not quite like the RFK banana factories, but enough to notice. There were herm tendencies noticed in the #2 as well... so maybe these beans were selfed? It is certainly within the realm of possibility. Personally, I feel like the RFK is the responsible party...

growmoremids:The seeds from #2 were put away until winter of 95-96 when one of the homies came back to the east coast wanting to start a garden. I helped get his garden set up, gave him some cuts and a bag of beans labeled, “Our Diesel”, to which he added the “S” in front of the “our”for all the sour folks out there! Nothing to do with the smell, and everything to do with the play on words.
This is how THE Sour Diesel came to be. All others are just a lights ;)