What's new

EarthQuake in Haiti

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Omg that place is cursed..nothing but bad decisions and bad events from Haiti..What a downer..Poor, overpopulated, ecosystem destroyed, natural resources depleted, catasrophy after catastrophy, dictatorships and bad policies in general.

And now this...The sad part its..even if they deal with these earthquake damages they are still fucked. All this in the middle of what once was a paradise..Sad sad stuff..

Btw i actually dreamed i was at Miami airport taking a plane to Haiti last night. :D

Sabudda

Anyon hear Pat Robertson's take? How has he been allowed to stay on tv?

"It may be a blessing in disguise. ... Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. Haitians were originally under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon the third, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal. Ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other." –Pat Robertson, on the earthquake in Haiti that destroyed the capital and killed tens of thousands of people, Jan. 13, 2010

9Lives

Veteran

"It may be a blessing in disguise. ... Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. Haitians were originally under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon the third, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal. Ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other." –Pat Robertson, on the earthquake in Haiti that destroyed the capital and killed tens of thousands of people, Jan. 13, 2010

^^That's some sound reasoning right there lol...America..gotta love it :D

Justa6655321

Veteran
Both of my friends are ok. One of them has been all around the world working with the worst of the worst medical situations and he said this is the most horrible thing he has ever seen and it's just beginning to get worse. They cant get the medical supplies to most of the places because the roads are so bad.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran

What they didn't tell you is how much money, people and supplies Pat Robertson's group is responsible for getting into Haiti. I'm no fan of Christianity, but if you are going to get your news from the corrupt liberal media, you are only going to hear and see what you want to hear and see and not what is - and that is where the wheels always come off the bus.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Yeah very very sad ... Whyte Cliff Jean is from there and he has gone back to help and says it's like a war flattened the whole place.. These guys need help peace out Headband707

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
All of my family is Haitian. Most of the people I grew up with are Haitian.
There is a strong Haitian presence in the industry I work in as well.
There has been nothing but bad news coming in since last nite. Many friends and family, including my grandmother, have lost their homes and spent the nite on the street. Others have paid the ultimate price.

Haiti is not a nation that can see itself through a situation like this, and will rely heavily on the support that is coming.

Haitians are a strong community, and we will overcome this with time. My condolences to anyone that has been affected by this disaster.

Some good news would be priceless right now.

MARLO

My prayers go out to you and your family hope all is well peace out Headband707

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
my prayers go to haiti this is a horrible event and no one deserves this.
we need to start a seed bank that 100% of the $ goes to haiti
maybe the name could be No(haiti)ng seeds

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
Dr. Dank you maybe on to something here

I think it would be great for cannabizness's and organisations to get into charity/relief in such events like this. it would be good publicity.. you hear on the news of so and so donating money/food/supplies. helping others while helping our image. its a win win

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Dr. Dank you maybe on to something here

I think it would be great for cannabizness's and organisations to get into charity/relief in such events like this. it would be good publicity.. you hear on the news of so and so donating money/food/supplies. helping others while helping our image. its a win win

I been thinking about this all day since i woke up,not only to clean the cannabis image but to help those poor people with everything they need

Dr.dank

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I wonder if a fuel ethanol would make a good export business for Haiti? Its already been established that they can grow sugar cane, Brazil produces tons of fuel alcohol this way, why not Haiti?

After all the survivors are found/rescued, and the dead are buried, Haiti will need money to build a infrastructure so they can be ready for next time, Sugar cane to Ethanol may be the way?

TBL420uk

Been watching the news this morning the the whole place has gone to shit. In this mornings paper it has a photo of people beating a naked man who had his hands & feet bound cos he had been looting, then they set fire to him. You can really see what people are like in times of crisis. I can understand to looting thats going on, but the violence some people are inflicting on each other shows that some people are not much more than animals. The russian`s have pulled out their rescue workers due to safety concerns, this could lead to people, who could of been saved by the Russian crew, loosing their life due to the acts of others.
This might sound harsh, but in some cases it would be better off if more had died instantly than have to die trapped under a building for a few days.

9Lives

Veteran
I wonder if a fuel ethanol would make a good export business for Haiti? Its already been established that they can grow sugar cane, Brazil produces tons of fuel alcohol this way, why not Haiti?

After all the survivors are found/rescued, and the dead are buried, Haiti will need money to build a infrastructure so they can be ready for next time, Sugar cane to Ethanol may be the way?

There are tons of smart things you could do in Haiti. But the people are uneducated and the govermnent is corrupt. This is a disaster and aid is a good thing. BUT if there is no disaster. All international aid should be cut off..They will never take responsibility that way.

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
President Preval is an agronomist by training, but the US govt views him as a technocrat free of the political ideologies that have divided Haiti for decades... So to be truthful, the current govt in Haiti is the best they've ever had!

Unfortunately rife poverty abounds in Haiti, so in moments of great despair, the looting and subsequent beating of said looters is to be expected... Emotions are high, and for good reason... Peoples entire lives have been displaced, and these are folks who didn't have much to begin with....

TBL420uk, I see what you're trying to say... But let me counter your ideas with a question of my own... Are you a sports fan? Well "some people" act like "animals" when people win sports games, rioting, looting, etc... Sports games! Sports games?!?! I guess you're right though, tragic events bring out the "animal" in man as you so gracefully put it....

But so do dumbass things like sports games! So what's your point fool?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Fuel ethanol just seemed to make sense to me since Sugar cane is one of the best crops in the world for making it, and because Sugar cane has always been Haiti's biggest industry. It could be a start towards a stable economy, and stable government.

The news reports are both sad and beautiful, all the death and despair is mixed with the good will and hope of many nations and people trying to help. It is too bad that natural disasters are required to bring peoples together, but it does my heart good to see it.

This creates a difficult decision for those of you who want to help. I watched this yesterday on the news and it made me look at things in a whole different perspective....

The news suggested that if you want to help victims of Haiti, that your best bet is to SEND MONEY AND ONLY MONEY. During the previous international tsunami's and devastations, Americans opened their hearts to send out canned foods, clothing, toys, medicine, and although it was a noble thing to do, they did not have enough manpower to sort out all the thousands and thousands of boxes and deliver them to the needy specifically.

There was no air conditioned warehouses to store the boxes in, so perishable foods expired. People were sending medicine that become months and months old (or already was old) and although the clothing helped, they suggest you donate to reputable agencies who can use your money in a direct way where they are ON THE FRONTLINE and know exactly WHO to give WHAT to.

Of course, the next issue is finding a reputable agency but there are a few of them out there. Just make sure the administrative costs are less than 13%-15% as alot of "good name" groups (I won't say any names) are also profiting from disasters. Bastards.

Well that's my $.02 guys. Make sure to find only RESPECTABLE and established agencies as scam companies and scam artists are running rampant right now also! Imagine everything and every person who asks you for victim relief to be tied to a scam (Wyclef Jean) unless you've heard of or dealt with the agency directly!

Wyclef Jean is a whole nother post!

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran

That is actually a good idea they are having a hard time right now with fuel . They really need ppl that know what to do .. peace out Headband707

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran

Brazil has surface, lots of it. Available growing surface in Haïti most probably doesn't make it a viable production for export.

Another example about why a global legalization is needed. Haïti would greatly benefit from it.

This creates a difficult decision for those of you who want to help. I watched this yesterday on the news and it made me look at things in a whole different perspective....

The news suggested that if you want to help victims of Haiti, that your best bet is to SEND MONEY AND ONLY MONEY. During the previous international tsunami's and devastations, Americans opened their hearts to send out canned foods, clothing, toys, medicine, and although it was a noble thing to do, they did not have enough manpower to sort out all the thousands and thousands of boxes and deliver them to the needy specifically.

There was no air conditioned warehouses to store the boxes in, so perishable foods expired. People were sending medicine that become months and months old (or already was old) and although the clothing helped, they suggest you donate to reputable agencies who can use your money in a direct way where they are ON THE FRONTLINE and know exactly WHO to give WHAT to.

Of course, the next issue is finding a reputable agency but there are a few of them out there. Just make sure the administrative costs are less than 13%-15% as alot of "good name" groups (I won't say any names) are also profiting from disasters. Bastards.

Well that's my $.02 guys. Make sure to find only RESPECTABLE and established agencies as scam companies and scam artists are running rampant right now also! Imagine everything and every person who asks you for victim relief to be tied to a scam (Wyclef Jean) unless you've heard of or dealt with the agency directly!

Wyclef Jean is a whole nother post!

Indeed, send money & nothing else ! Red Cross & Doctor without Borders are my first choices.

Good idea, but who cares about helping our images. Do it for the sufferers first, and let your karma work, period. I remember that I had sold a few packs of seeds for the 2004 Tsunami (that was on OG then). Wish I had some new landraces at hand so I could do it again, but nothing prevents all the breeders to do something indeed.

Maybe something could bet set up at the Boo with a special Haïti fundraiser and breeders to offer some packs for this cause ?

Irie !

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Brazil has surface, lots of it. Available growing surface in Haïti most probably doesn't make it a viable production for export.

Yeah, 936 people per square mile, and the 31st most densely populated country in the world. Currently, Mangoes and Coffee are the only real exports, most people scratch out a living growing the food they need to barely survive.

I guess from reading their history, I assumed that Sugar cane was still their primary export, but I guess that is no longer so..............

One thing is for sure, there are no easy answers for Haiti.