What's new

Dyr and Tanska outdoors 2010

MkkDdd

I hope i`m not treading on anyones toes here but i like to follow this thread coz i like to follow N Lat grows .
MkkDdd , your best bet would be another PH meter because you are just guessing wether you need lime . If you decide to use it add just a good handfull to a 30ltr hole and mix well . There used to be this guy on Overgrow (forgotten his handle) growing guerilla in pine forests in the USA & he had some terrific crops & all he used to use is a cold water tea made with Cow manure (not horse) . He was able to collect plenty from fields near him & used it all the time . I don`t know what it was about cow manure but it seemed to do something to the acidic soil & raise the PH . If you decide to try this dilute the tea 10-1 .
Nice plants .

Stay green .
Yes, Badger, I couldn't agree more with you about getting a new pH meter, but, believe it or not, they're not available where I live. The obvious solution would seem to be to order one online and get it posted, but there are reasons why I can't do that, either. In short, I haven't got a (reliable) pH meter, but I'll probably get one when I go back to the UK in a couple of weeks. (Too late!) Any suggestions you might like to make about which one and where to get it would be greatly appreciated.

There is actually one more thing I can do (and probably should have done already - certainly before starting these posts): I'll go (right now - as soon as I've finished this) and get a soil sample from the next site just to see what my meter says about it. The thing is, though, this damn meter has been used in a dozen or so soils and never given any reading except pH 6.5, which is why I've assumed it doesn't work. I suppose it's possible there was no pH discrepancy in any of the soils I'd tried to test, although that seems highly unlikely to me. Still, if I get a reading of anything other than pH 6.5 with this soil, I'll know I'd misjudged it and take its reading into account.

Otherwise, I think I'll just follow the directions on the bag and add 1kg to the soil mix going back into the 1m square by 1m deep hole. According to the instructions, that should raise pH by about 1/2 a unit. It seems highly unlikely to me the soil under the pine trees is any more than pH 6 and even if it is 6.5 another half a unit should be about right. If it's 5.5, 1/2 a unit would be essential and if it's any less than that, I'm fucked whatever I do (unless I bung a couple of kilos in).

What I'll probably do, which is what I always try to do in situations like these, is get there on the day, have a look and think about it, sit down on the ground, spark up a joint and let it come to me.

Last edited:

dyr

ICMag Donor
You don't need to dig a meter down, such a big hole is not necessary at all. one way whould be if the soil on the spot is somewhere around okay to dig 20-50 liter holes and put 4-5 plants in each hole, let the holes be 50 centimeters apart. If you dig a bed 1 shovel deep or more you quickly get a lot of liters, if you dig one m2 30 centimeters down, that should be plenty for 30 plants ;)
If you want to spread them on a bigger area, then holes are just easier I think.

MjBadger thanks for your help

MkkDdd

You don't need to dig a meter down, such a big hole is not necessary at all. one way whould be if the soil on the spot is somewhere around okay to dig 20-50 liter holes and put 4-5 plants in each hole, let the holes be 50 centimeters apart. If you dig a bed 1 shovel deep or more you quickly get a lot of liters, if you dig one m2 30 centimeters down, that should be plenty for 30 plants ;)
If you want to spread them on a bigger area, then holes are just easier I think.

MjBadger thanks for your help
Yes, that occurred to me while struggling up one of the big hills on the way home from the site on my bike yesterday evening: I can cut down on a lot of work by not digging so deep. The lime should be nearer the surface, in any case, because it's the pine needles which lower the topsoil's pH. I suppose it should be added proportionally with the least at the bottom gradually increasing until most of it is added in the top twenty to thirty cm.

There is another reason for digging a bit deeper, though: the roots of a 1m plant may go as deep as 1.8m in search of water. I always dig as deep as I can without sweating too much and break up the soil underneath, removing larger stones, to make it easier for the tap roots to get down deeper. I don't think there's any point in actually taking the soil out of the ground. I've put turf at the bottom of the holes I've made so far, hoping to increase water retention while I'm away on holiday for the hottest three weeks of July.

I think I'll add some sand to the turf at the bottom, as well now, then gradually increase the amount of lime added as the soil is built up around the transplanted bucket of seedlings.

Thank you, all of you - Dyr, Tanska and Badger, for your time, attention and helpful advice.

dyr

ICMag Donor
Sounds and looks like you'll figure it out ;)

The old small Thyphoon spot, today, only 1 plant without purple stem:

IMG_5173.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

3 males found:

IMG_5183.jpg

IMG_5184.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

MGC

Hi !

Those purple males are truely beautiful with that deep purple almost black color. Are you going to keep them for breeding ? Congrats for the pics !

dyr

ICMag Donor
Thanks fellas

Yes we are gonna keep them for breeding, we are making seeds everywhere ;)

dyr

ICMag Donor

Eirdbei spot B today, they are not looking as good here as on the other spot beacause of snail damage mainly and also lack of light, but we still hope for a small harvest:

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5264.jpg

E

elmanito

Lovely plants especially the big Typhoon grow.Love the purple tones, reminds me of the Oaxacans but more females.:D Most Danish varieties produce more males than females how come!!!

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis: