What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dwc vs flood and drain. Og, cookies, cheese, amnesia and more...

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dr i encourage you to look through this whole thread. Look at the differences in the same strain. Its hard evidence.

DrFever

Veteran
Dr i encourage you to look through this whole thread. Look at the differences in the same strain. Its hard evidence.

I am not going to disagree with your results but from my readings DWC Ebbn flow / flood drain pretty much yield the same ???? its making sure everyting is dialed in
Skill and strain is the main factor
When we take up a notch and study the root zone to upper part of the roots take in the nutrients the bottom part of root system takes in the water
with the style i am going an ebb and flow rigged on an auto siphon so it flows continuous with an inch of water in the bed that is being pulsed oxygen so it does not become stagnant in between flood cycles
This is not the 19 percent oxygen we breath or most growers having a air pump circulate
it will be medical oxygen tank which is a minimum 90 percent pure pulsing my perched water table in medium as well as main res hoping the extra 02 will benefit the plants root zone specially being pulsed in the root zone
My guess is it will flood and drain 1 - 2 times in 24 hrs period when I want it to (to ensure the bacterial population is damp and fed) gives the best of both worlds.

It's an almost idiot proof system with no moving parts. Once I've started my thread I'll post more.
so with using DWC - Flood n drain aquaponics adding them all sorta into one haahaha well stole the auto siphon from Aquaponic here is sorta what she will look like but add another pail on top so each plant has its on res as well then all going back to main res second pic is what she will look like each plant will have 20 gallons plans are 10 week veg 3 - 4 pound per plant 80 - 110 watts per sq foot imprint
plasma gavita 2 - 4 k per plant
doing trees

Continuous flow in auto siphon ebb and flow beds
-Flow rate enough to engage siphon but it doesn't 'burp' and stop when empty just keeps running. - Done!

Attachments

• user411304_pic1292050_1406316456 (1).jpg
    user411304_pic1292050_1406316456 (1).jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG395.jpg
    IMG395.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 9699multi-pod1.jpg
    9699multi-pod1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 11

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yield has for sure increased with dwc vs flood and drain in the same environment and same nutes. Im tellin ya bro the dwc wins.

dutchmasters420

Awesome thread espicially for someone just starting their first flood and drain like me. Im starting from seed and using unislabs until i get some clones. Any advice you got for rockwool flood and drain?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tons bro. What nutes you run. I used to run uni slabs. I like them however bigger slabs have proven to do better. Dont listen to people who say rwool holds too much water. Hit them 6x a day. One flood for every 4 hours, otherwise roots tips dry too much and this slows growth. In veg and flower, 6x a day, every 4 hours. Keep nutes around 1.5-1.8 ec. Veg 5.8ph, flower weeks 1-3~5.8ph, 4-6~6.0 ph, 7-9~6.2 ph. Flush for 2-3 weeks. Defoliate from weeks 5-8 a little bit every other day. Use a scrog and weave your tops like grape vines for the first 2-3 weeks of flower.

GREAT thread !
I enjoyed the read.
I have 2 Amnesia Haze and 2 AK-47 in flower for 30 days now.
Those Amnesia buds are amazingly beautiful !
You are def doing SOMETHING right !
Keep the pics coming...:canabis:

dutchmasters420

Tons bro. What nutes you run. I used to run uni slabs. I like them however bigger slabs have proven to do better. Dont listen to people who say rwool holds too much water. Hit them 6x a day. One flood for every 4 hours, otherwise roots tips dry too much and slos growth. In veg and flower, 6x a day, every 4 hours. Keep nutes around 1.5-1.8 ec. Veg 5.8ph, flower weeks 1-3~5.8ph, 4-6~6.0 ph, 7-9~6.2 ph. Flush for 2-3 weeks. Defoliate from weeks 5-8 a little bit every other day. Use a scrog and weave your tops like grape vines for the first 2-3 weeks of flower.

hey man thanks for the response. I'm using GH nutes and starting from seed. First time hydro anything and first time using these nutes.
Do you set your ph levels at those and let them swing a little or are they kept in that range consistently? Do you flood with lights off?

Also how often do you change your res? I have a 4x4 starting with 10 unsexed seeds, if I end up with 5-7 females how big a res do you recommend? I have a 40 gallon set up now.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I change my res weekly. Ph fluctuates a bit but i use silica so that causes it to go up. Its stays in check though. I do flood with lights off as well. As far as res size for you, it depends what size tray you are flooding. 3x3 needs a minimum of 25 gals imo, 4x4 = 35-40 and 4x8 needs at least a 70. You doing buckets or a tray?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some cool shit going on in here
picture.php

Started a new NFT system with an air disc under each plant plus more air stones/tubes.
picture.php
picture.php

DWC tray 2 rocking
picture.php

DWC tray 1 all glue coming down in a couple weeks looks huge
picture.php

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO, both DWC and conventional F & D leave a lot to be desired

DWC is a PITA requiring significantly more nutes and is difficult to change nutes, which most DWC growers do not do often enough. It also requires massive oxygenation or cycling (Under Current) to avoid root rot

I figured out how to get the most from F & D

The keys are; the medium, tote volume and the grow pot

I am a small grower with 3 tents. 2 are 3 x 3 and one is 50 x 50

I grow 2 bushy plants per tent. But also have grown 3 cola types per tote too. My system is easily expandable and adaptable

Each plant is in it's own small 10g tote: each tote is 7" deep

I set the timer to flood/fill to ~ 5", which means the roots nearest the main stalk receive a full feeding every ~ 45 minutes

The small tote volume allows me to feed 2 totes from a 2.5g rez

I do not use any medium that holds nutrient salts

Instead, I use polished ornamental rock (Dollar Store) in mixed sizes. For larger growers similar rock can be purchased in bulk

The pots are either net pots or Air Pots, both of which allow fast draining

A small amount of nutes remains in the pockets between feedings, which helps build a strong lateral root system

High frequency feedings also allows for lower ppm/EC concentration

By having each plant in its' own net pot I can easily move plants around

If interested, drop by my DIY Mini-Me F & D for details

View attachment 294898

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks but my results blow my mind. Im sticking with what i have going on im not feeling left with less than stellar results. My work has been insanely good lately.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find it interesting that you came in here a while ago two pages back trying to boast your thread. Not liking what you see here? Or do you just like to toot your own mini grow horn? A "hey looking good in here" or "nice job" go a long way rather than just coming in my thread all "look how i do it" over and over.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not trying to 'sell' you anything, but I can see you're more than not interested, so

see ya

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No im not, i cruised through your thread. You have nute deficiency issues and your setup looks "dollar store" oriented. You are a closet type of grower trying to give advice to someone who supplies medicine to many in need of quality. Not many experienced growers will be delighted by your dropping in to give amatuer advice. No offense, but its kind of silly. See ya

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Lookin good bro. I like the air stone ideas right under the slabs is a cool idea fo sho. I always wondered about trying an oxygen generator. I know they have them for old people who have bad lungs and dont get enough oxygen from normal air. The generator takes in normal air and concentrates the oxygen and sends it out to the subject. I wonder if you do this with roots what would happen. Something in the future who knows. You can get one fairly cheap.

Anyway cool deal brother look forward to see how this round goes.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks twist i think it will make for some crazy growth rates. We shall see!!

Dark Helmet

love what im seeing that gg, as usual all the buds are just falling over themselves would last without that net at all :p

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I modified anothers technique. I altered the pumps and i added a resivoir and air stones. But using multiflow pumps between rockwool slabs was a buddies idea. His work is the densest best looking product ive ever seen regardless of strain. So i emulated him and changed the technique to make it my own. I use diff nutes, flood my tray higher and i found fittings to attach to the pumps that let me add an air inlet so as the pumps push water they pull air as well. Ill take some photos to show detail sometime soon. Really a fun and simple method that has made everything improve. Happiness :)