What's new

Duggy's Super Stealth Desk

G

Very nice! You're making good progress putting it together. That's the first time I've seen someone remote ballasting CFL's. Can you put up the link to the Growroom design thread that you mentioned? Can you pull the ballast out of a standard CFL?

duggy

thanks for the interest, kevvie (can i call ya that?).

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=32507

these were desk lamps with the ballasts already separate from the the tubes. that junk was in the base of the lamp and the tubes were up top.

i will begin seed germination on exactly august 19. yaar. smokin' around x-mas time. hoo. i'm cool with dat. :smoke:

boogie boogie,
duggy

G

Hey Duggy, I've been outed already so I don't care. Do you have any pics of your old growbox?

I pulled apart a 15W CFL ballast yesterday to take a peek. Once you break the glue holding the plastic base together, it comes right apart. The board is easy to get at and the lamp is wired to the board with 4 wires. It wouldn't be a big deal to remote the wiring. That could be a future project for me.

I see you are making a variation of the NGB box. The original design has the intakes undersized so the box runs hot. The intakes should be sized to twice the area of the fan exhaust so the flow is unrestricted. I see you have separate intakes for both chambers. That's a good improvement cause the NGB design has a second air restriction by passing all the air from veg to the flower chamber.

Here's some numbers if you want to check out your design.
CFM for 150HPS = 1 CFM/Watt * 150 Watt = 150 CFM
CFM for Cooltube = 0.2 CFM/Watt * 150 Watt = 30 CFM
CFM for Grow w cooltube = 0.3 CFM/watt = 45 CFM

I'd be trying to implement a cooltube design to knock the overall airflow down as much as possible.

Last edited:

Trev

im really diggin that 70 hps hood you have there, very creative. even if you arent gunna use it haha

duggy

Hi y'all! long time no post!

yar, Red Greenery, I wish I did have some pics of the old cab. it was f'ckin genius stealth--built into an existing weird jog in the wall so that it now looks stranger that it's gone. OG ever comes back, maybe I got my pics back. . .

Well, finally got a new hood set up for the veg chamber. here it is:

81 watts in a pretty small space. look at this, you guys!

It's running now with the doors off, and it's fkin hot! Well, for winter grows it'll be fine, summer, i'll probably have to pop a tube out. that's okay. i'm overbuilding intentionally.

wait till i add up the home store receipts. this fker ain't going to be cheap. however, for the price of weed here, 10 bucks says its paid for once it's produced less than an ounce of. . . an ounce of. . . of. . .

what am i growing again?

duggy :smoker:

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
very nice, duggz :D

glad it's all coming together so well.

when did you say you're getting your HPS again?

oh and i think it'll be NL that you're growing.. :yummy:

duggy

Zat's right! the Northern Lights, as long as those old seeds take, they'll be the ones!

I've also got some accidental crosses between the NL and Skunk #11 that could prove okay.

honestly, guys, all my seeds are a bit old (1-2yrs old). . .i may be ordering again. . .

in which case--what does anyone recommend?

edit: oh, and the hps (150W :woohoo: ) should be intalled next month soon.

Last edited:

duggy

going stealthy. . .

going stealthy. . .

okay, now for the shallow drawers that will set into the face. i was going to hinge them onto the front, but i couldn't figure out a way to do this steathily. then one day, after i bought some hinges, day dreaming during a meeting at work, it hit me to do it this way: the drawers slide right into the face. this ought to really cut light leaks, and look real unobtrusive.

so i built this guy:

which slips right in like this:

i'll make little drawers for it as well, so that it's not initially obvious how shallow they are. some pins or screws on the inside will prevent someone from accidentally tugging it out, but actually, it's a pretty snug fit. (ooh. i think i sprained my elbow patting me own back there. . .)

painting and laquerig tonight!

duggy

Okay, here's another shot of the slide in drawer face:

and i've just slapped 4 coats of laquer on the desk top and painted the other stuff white. i think the lovely desktop is instrumental in the stealth. . .you lose yourself in that golden finish and really don't think this could be anything but a lovely place to write a letter to your mom. . .

the insides still need a bit of tweeking. for one, my utility chamber is really small. it's been a bitch getting everything in there. i do think the NGB box is improved by by ventilating each chamber seperately. . . However, I'm using 12cm muffins on each chamber and have about a 1:1 intake:eek:uttake openings (contraty to Red G's advice to go 2:1). Have yet to test, but we'll see, and looking forward to feedback (you NGB copy boys, self included).

Last edited:

SmokingGreen

this cabinet is really taking shape like no other ive seen before. :) Your quite a handy person.

Now almost time for the part that rounds of this cool stealth grow.. the seeds and sounds like some nice genetics too..

G

hi there duggy, very nice diy skills you have there.
btw, i love to pull cfl's apart

duggy

Thanks for the pats on the back, everyone!

i totaled up my reciepts and figured i paid exactly 39,842 yen for this. granted this includes some tools i needed and some stuff i didn't end up using. let's put the cost at 30,000 yen even, if it were planned out properly and not built in a frenzied rush. (about 300 us dollars). of course, material costs are also super high here, and i think this could be done for at least a hundred bucks less in the states.

any rate, it'll pay for itself (and the tools) in two or three grows.

ooh. forgot to add in the 150W hps that hasn't been bought yet. . .

let's say paid for in three or four grows.

duggy

thanks for the link, hotsie--i WILL GET ONE!

worried about the suitcase steath to get one back home, but. . .

gyu,

Jah-Jah

Hey Duggy :wave:

You setups look really neat and well done :yes:

Stealth is the hardest part but you've done that nicely too.
Great work, I get inspiration to build me a new stealth box, just looking at your work, the new slide in drawer face is genious! :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts