What's new

Dry Ice Hash

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
I jus' gotta call shenanigans on dis one

I jus' gotta call shenanigans on dis one

yeah the math seems a bit fuzzy unless the hash is full of water. how would 14g of trim turn into 19g of hash otherwise? i mean normally speaking you have to be happy with 5% give or take. sure is interesting as an idea though, just a bit confused about the net yield of hash.

Say what?!

Au contraire mon frere!

I'd be happy to he'p you double dat yield.
:)

I get 10% bubble easily with plain old ice water, and have done 11.5% from Thai buds.

But dis guy claims he gets 136% return!

If the laws of physics and logic are trumped by dry ice though,

I'm sellin' da house and buying stock in dry ice suppliers.

Um lemme see, if I start with a 8 ounces of trim I'll yield 10.8 ounces of chilly hash

Such a deal!!

Maybe he shoulda dusted dat table before he started.:)

Aloha, Y'all

Weezard

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Tuned in and locked on.

Tuned in and locked on.

i have a harvest coming up late next week. since all this is so unbelievable to some people, ill document everything. so for all of you who "call bullshit"........... be sure to tune in :comfort:

Woohoo!
For somethin' from nothin'?:jump:
I am so glued to this thread.

Perpetual motion, anti-gravity, and now THIS!?

Document in fine detail, my friend, for you have solved world hunger and destroyed the pharmaceutical industry in one swell foop!

You are truly special.:thank you:

Aloha on ya.
Weeze

Sour Deez

Dude, its not physically possible to get out more then you put in, even if you use the purest product, the best return you can get is 100%, not over 100 which you are claiming.

And you used plant material, that would be the bulk of your starting weight right there.

Maybe that 19 is suppose to be 1.9?

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
The same exact thoughts

The same exact thoughts

No need to get hostile man. People were just asking if it was a half lb because you said you ended up with 19 grams of finished product. If you only used a 1/2 oz which is 14 grams and you ended up with 19 grams, where did the other 5 grams come from? Thats whats confusing to me, you ended up with more weight in hash than the trim you started with. Interesting idea anyway

My question is...is it safe to smoke?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i have a harvest coming up late next week. since all this is so unbelievable to some people, ill document everything. so for all of you who "call bullshit"........... be sure to tune in :comfort:

you have to admit that the mathematics of your claim make no sense.

how can you get more hash then you had trim to start with? if your numbers are correct it must be moisture, but even that wouldn't add so much weight.

budbasket

And what were your shake times? I did a 2 min and 5 min run and even the 2 min burned, not bubbled. The only way the yield claim is possible would be to pulverize the trim that was used into hashish sized particles, by the dry ice, while at the same time adding 5gs in water weight from water particles evaporated in the surrounding air(humidity). Then shaking until there was nothing left, but dry ice in the bag. 14gs of starting material +5gs of water weight= 19 gram total return...the only process which actually adds more weight than the starting material would be the acetalization/isomerization, of THC-9 to THC-6, I believe the return is ~125%. I have not performed this refinement personally however so cannot verify myself....-basket

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Say what?!

Au contraire mon frere!

I'd be happy to he'p you double dat yield.:)

I get 10% bubble easily with plain old ice water, and have done 11.5% from Thai buds.

But dis guy claims he gets 136% return!

If the laws of physics and logic are trumped by dry ice though,
I'm sellin' da house and buying stock in dry ice suppliers.

Um lemme see, if I start with a 8 ounces of trim I'll yield 10.8 ounces of chilly hash
Such a deal!!

Maybe he shoulda dusted dat table before he started.:)

Aloha, Y'all

Weezard

I thinking sleeeeeping of decimal point. I typically get about 10% yield before extracting the rest by other means.

136% is clearly impossible, but 13.6% would not be if it was either damn good material, or the hash was a little on the green side.

PS: I mention that as a possibility, after learning of the actual 6% THC lab results on some obviously burned reflux exctracted oil, claimed to be 60% THC.

The claimant's strongest suit wasn't math and the way they wrote the numbers in decimal form confused him.

Last edited:
My input with some real numbers...
16oz of Purple Kush trim.

I used No water and 4 bubble bags.

I got 4 oz (160u), and 1/2 oz (73u and 25u)

About 25% return and this stuff makes the best edibles!!! also makes a wonderful topping on any bowl!!!

DSC_0150.jpg

mtbazz

I just tried this.

I dont know what my starting weight really was, because I used some material that was rather wet, but judging by eye I'd say it was about 3 ounces of trim material, that included fan leaves, and some stems containing popcorn buds.

Using only the 73 u bag, I performed 3-4 passes over a table. Each pass was about one minute in length. Totally yield so far is is about 3.5 grams.

The first two passes yielded material that was really nice blonde color, Id say this accounted for almost 2 grams.

With the 3rd and 4th pass, the material started getting a little darker, resembling the material in the third bowl on the right in merlins photo.

Ive still got some dry ice left, so I am going to go back and do a few more passes and see what I get...

Pretty cool...I did think about trying a couple of different bags (160 73 and 25 also), but think Ill just stick with the 73..

Looks pretty promising, guess Ill eventually have to get a press though...anyone have a favorite press? How well does the pollen stay together once pressed ?

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
i think a hash press would be great w/ this stuff. have you guys smoked any yet? people i deal w/ are liking the dry ice hash better than the bubble hash. i think its way easier to work w/ than the sticky bubble hash as well

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
My input with some real numbers...
16oz of Purple Kush trim.

I used No water and 4 bubble bags.

I got 4 oz (160u), and 1/2 oz (73u and 25u)

About 25% return and this stuff makes the best edibles!!! also makes a wonderful topping on any bowl!!!

DSC_0150.jpg

thats a beautiful picture by the way. youve got urself a shit load of hash

Sour Deez

i think a hash press would be great w/ this stuff. have you guys smoked any yet? people i deal w/ are liking the dry ice hash better than the bubble hash. i think its way easier to work w/ than the sticky bubble hash as well

What are they saying, does it get them more medicated?

Isn't bubbling the sign of a pure product?

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
Is it safe to say that the 160µ is the best bag for this endeavor? Seems like many people go with the 73µ. Please explain this to me! Thanks.

Farmdalefurr... Thanks!

Is it safe to say that the 160µ is the best bag for this endeavor? Seems like many people go with the 73µ. Please explain this to me! Thanks.
It is all about trichome head size. I think most are between 25 to 220 microns and can vary alot. People seem to find there best product in the 73µ and 45µ bags.

Using more then one bag will insure you collect everything. I think 8 bags is a little much so I like to use 4 or 5.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

sheesh!, there is some misinformation in this thread!

Bionic was the first to pick it up!

a 73 micron bag (by itself) is the wrong bag to use for dry sifting (whether using dry ice, frozen material or any other way).......use a mesh with 120 ~ 150 micron.

A 125 micron mesh bag allows most of the trichomes to pass through the mesh, while most of the broken up plant matter stays above the mesh. As a majority of trichomes on most strains at maturity vary in size from 60 ~ 115 micron, a 73 micron mesh would only allow come smaller sized trichomes to pass through the mesh, while most of them remained above. But you can use a combination of 125 and 73 (and most of the trichomes will be caught in between the two meshes.

I hope the original poster re-sifts the starting material again using a 120 ~ 150 mesh to reap actual mature trichomes...and use a magnifying glass to check out the trichomes at all stages of sifting. The only time a 73 bag could be used is with early cut material that contains immature (small) trichomes...a magnifying glass will help let you know which meshes are right for the starting material....

Last edited:

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
This one is a dangerous thread.
The amount of undisputed wrong info is quite amazing.
I am not by any means a expert in hash making but i know enough to know that most plant material/end product ratios shown in here are not right.
In my humble opinion we need a couple of more educated ones to bring some light to this dark one. Otherwise less educated ones might follow some very wrong info :(
Sorry for the lack of positive input but is just a case of me not knowing enough.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

a 73 micron bag (by itself) is the wrong bag to use for dry sifting (whether using dry ice, frozen material or any other way).......use a mesh with 120 ~ 150 micron.

A 125 micron mesh bag allows most of the trichomes to pass through the mesh, while most of the broken up plant matter stays above the mesh. As a majority of trichomes on most strains at maturity vary in size from 60 ~ 115 micron, a 73 micron mesh would only allow come smaller sized trichomes to pass through the mesh, while most of them remained above. But you can use a combination of 125 and 73 (and most of the trichomes will be caught in between the two meshes.

I hope the original poster re-sifts the starting material again using a 120 ~ 150 mesh to reap actual mature trichomes...and use a magnifying glass to check out the trichomes at all stages of sifting. The only time a 73 bag could be used is with early cut material that contains immature (small) trichomes...a magnifying glass will help let you know which meshes are right for the starting material....

Good points!

bloyd

Veteran
Dry ice has turned my hash making into a breeze. I processed all of my outdoor trim and small buds using dry ice last fall.

I used an orbital shaker and strapped 8 inch scientific sieves to the shaker. Chamba is correct you want to start with a higher micron than 73. This is strain dependent but for most of my outdoor I started with 150 or 180 micron. I tried stacking several sieves 150-110-75-50 but found more success when I I sifted it first at 150-180 and then resifted gradually smaller one sieve at a time for whatever reason it worked better than stacked.

More advice: I find powdered dried ice to be most effective and gentle but also sublimates fastest so you use more. Preefreeze your material first with dry ice, dry ice freezes down so set the dry ice on top of your material. I usually set my orbital shaker at 300 rpm but have gone as high as 500 rpm (my orbitals max). My first run is for ~3 min. I then take the material up top that's been sifted of most of it's goodness through a colander to remove stems, seeds etc and get an even size, it crumbles easily through as it is super frozen. This second run with this crumbled material then usually get's 7-10 min with a 110 sieve and once again comes out very light in color (little contaminants).

Observations: I doesn't bubble at higher micron ratings, but it is really easy to handle, presses nicely if needed and maintains the terpenes much better than bubble. Often times I will just sift at 150 and turn the sift into oil using thermos soak method. My oil comes out very clean this way and uses very little tane which is pricy around here.

Thoughts: My goal this year is to flash freeze some fresh material and to sift that all while keeping it super frozen and then going to oil from there, should be extremely tasty and again not require the amounts of butane processing fresh material usually would.

Wheww, long winded I know but seriously beats slaving over bubblebags and all total my equipment like new at scientific auction (assortment of stainless scientific sieves, covers, catchpans, orbital shaker) cost less than a set of bubblebags.

P.S. I never did any weighing of material as that isn't really important to me. I will say the return is very good for the investment of starting materia. Much higher than I have ever seen using other methods

Last edited:

budbasket

"This one is a dangerous thread.
The amount of undisputed wrong info is quite amazing."

The only misinformation that has been spread was by the OP of the thread. Nearly every single post disputes their original yield claim. Not only that, there are many different offerings of how other individuals performed this technique and they even offer their numbers, some with pictures, and step by step instructions. I see absolutely no danger in any of this, I see this discussion as the point of this site.
In essence it is an online peer-review driven process. Just my opinion though, 3 pages of replies is quite a good start, especially when there are like 5 other threads on the exact same subject, some of which I would have posted in/ have already posted in before this one.- basket

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

this is interesting, as when you make bubble hash your best bag is normally the 73, but as you say the best trichs would not fit through that screen. as in bubble making you use it to catch the trich heads, ie they don't go through the 73 bag except for small unripe ones. so yeah there are a couple ofthings about this thread that don't seem to add up.

on the other hand this isn't the only thread talking about using a 73 with dry ice. having not tried it yet i can't say much, except that i won't be using the 73 when i try it, lol.