What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drainage Wastes

G

Ghosts

I think I have a fairly standard watering procedure.

I wait til their dry, then saturate... and drain into drain pans.

Because I don't want to just leave them in standing water (+/-1 qt per 5 gal pot), I lift the pots to empty the drain pans.

What a PITB!!!!
Surely, no one else is breaking their back like this!

Am I the only one using drain pans?

Please, someone tell me something I missed!!!

Storm Crow

Veteran
I found just the thing at the Dollar store. It looks like a giant hypodermic syringe. It's a pool toy. I just suck up the excess and squirt it into a bucket. Still a PITA, but less so. I only have three 19 gallon tubs, so it's not too bad.

Or how about a wet/dry shop vac? Maybe add a narrow attachment on the end?

- Granny

G

Ghosts

Storm Crow said:
I found just the thing at the Dollar store. It looks like a giant hypodermic syringe. It's a pool toy. I just suck up the excess and squirt it into a bucket. Still a PITA, but less so. I only have three 19 gallon tubs, so it's not too bad.

Or how about a wet/dry shop vac? Maybe add a narrow attachment on the end?

- Granny

Hey Granny,
Thanks for the help.

I went to looking for a big syringe not long ago.
Didn't find one...yet...

The shop vac may be an option.

G

Ghosts

I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel.
I'm just wondering what the general consensus is.

Is any one else watering to the point of getting drainage?
If you are, do you just let them sit in the flooded drain pan until the water gets used, or evaporates?

Or is everyone really lifting all their pots just like me???

Anyone using anything besides drain pans?

I've searched, but can't find anything. It dosent seem to be something people talk about much.

Maybe I should STFU and just flower more plants in smaller / lighter pots?

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
turkey baster is what i use works just peachy

i water untill drainage is achieved then i go smoke a cig come back an use the turkey baster to remove the acess water from pans. what little water left in bottom of drain pan evaporates in few hrs never had a problem. no i dont lift the plant i just suck the acess water up with the baster.

Last edited:
G

Ghosts

Maj.PotHead said:

i water untill drainage is achieved then i go smoke a cig come back an use the turkey baster to remove the acess water from pans. what little water left in bottom of drain pan evaporates in few hrs never had a problem. no i dont lift the plant i just suck the acess water up with the baster.

Maj.PotHead said:

Thanks Maj. PotHead for the methodology!
(Although, I'll replace the cig with a J or abowl, LOL) :joint:

So I'm off to find a turkey baster or a giant cow syringe...

I like my big fat girls!
But, I don't think they like being lifted any more than I like lifting them.

Thanks again to yourself and to Granny!
My grow life just got a lot easier!!!

fumancu

I had the same problem but mine was running on floor.Not sure how big you are.What I did was get some of those roof panels.the wavy ones.There 2 foot wide made of pvc.Up to 12 foot long.Cut to fit your table.Can over lap for wider.They have mounting brackets to.Cut a slot in a 2 inch pvc pipe.Slide over end of panel.run tubing to drain or put bucket under end and reuse runoff.Workes great for me no more wet floors.Pots on wavy surface.Had trouble with bugs before hiding under wet pots dry under pots now. I use coco,soil 50/50 .I pour water in top its running out bottom.Now I can soak good everyday just recycle runoff.If you dont have tables just make small elivated floor with the roofing.

Last edited:
G

Ghosts

fumancu said:
I had the same problem but mine was running on floor.Not sure how big you are.What I did was get some of those roof panels.the wavy ones.There 2 foot wide made of pvc.Up to 12 foot long.Cut to fit your table.Can over lap for wider.They have mounting brackets to.Cut a slot in a 2 inch pvc pipe.Slide over end of panel.run tubing to drain or put bucket under end and reuse runoff.Workes great for me no more wet floors.Pots on wavy surface.Had trouble with bugs before hiding under wet pots dry under pots now. I use coco,soil 50/50 .I pour water in top its running out bottom.Now I can soak good everyday just recycle runoff.If you dont have tables just make small elivated floor with the roofing.

Hey fumanchu, great info!

A big ? for me is consistant saturation per watering.
In the drain trays, the soil can soak for a while.
Not so on the roof panels.
But with coco and daily waterings, I'm sure you're good...

I hear you about damp drain pans attracting bugs...

By recycling your runoff, do you mean recirculate to the plants on the next irrigation cycle?

How are you applying your water?

fumancu

I can get up some pics if you want.I have a trash can with pump hose and wand, top water.plants dont need to soak .With this set up you water when you want and as much as you want.No drain pans water runs out pots to panels then into pvc pipe then in to bucket or small cup.pour runoff back in trash can.I used just soil for a long time with this worked great.But you should try the 50/50 .My plants are just loving it.Sorry I ment how big is your room my bad.I water everyday my plant suck up water like crazy.If i let go 2 days they would be bone dry.

Last edited:
G

Ghosts

fumancu said:
I can get up some pics if you want.I have a trash can with pump hose and wand, top water.plants dont need to soak .With this set up you water when you want and as much as you want.No drain pans water runs out pots to panels then into pvc pipe then in to bucket or small cup.pour runoff back in trash can.I used just soil for a long time with this worked great.But you should try the 50/50 .My plants are just loving it.Sorry I ment how big is your room my bad.I water everyday my plant suck up water like crazy.If i let go 2 days they would be bone dry.

fumancu, pics say 1,000 words bro!
Please post em up!
Do you have a thread?

It's good to know you've done this with just soil.

G

Ghosts

Very nice set up fumancu.

When you mentioned you water every 2 days, I thought maybe you had small pots.
But those pots look to be the same size as that 5 gal bucket sitting next to them.
How tall do those girls get?

I understand what you are saying about supporting the panels and giving them the correct slope.
I like how you use PVC pipe for "gutters".

Thanks for sharing those bro!

Here's my irrig system
250 GPH Pump
25' Coil Hose
Spray Wand

...recycled an old 10 gal cooler...

fumancu

I like just the straight wand.I run a perpetual harvest.Got differnt kinds going all the time. they can be any where from a foot tall to 6 foot.I have stadium seating.I can move plants as I like.Not tied to anything.Get a couple 4or 5 plants everyweek or two .In the one pic you can see my veg room door.I Open doors it to big room for 12 hr.6 hour on its own.I like 3 gallon pots.Ounce they get buds on them they suck up water like a sponge.I water everyday if I waited 2 they would be to dry. With the 50/50 mix you cant overwater .Most of the plants in pics are 5 weeks old total.3weeks 18hr.2 weeks 12hr.

Last edited:
G

Ghosts

Hey fumancu,
Thanks for staying with me!

I think I'm going to try an elevated floor.

(I may even have to rig another one up for my veg...)

What did you use to cut slots in the pipe?

What diameter of pipe are you using?

I'm thinking I'll drain into an "oil change drain pan".
I want something low profile (so I don't have to elevate the floor so much) that has decent capacity, and is easy to dump out.

It's getting late for me. I'll check back by tomorrow.

Last edited:

casualtoker

I keep all my 3 gal square buckets in botanicare tables that drain in to a 50 gal garbage can. The tables are about 2 ft off the ground.

G

Ghosts

casualtoker said:
I keep all my 3 gal square buckets in botanicare tables that drain in to a 50 gal garbage can. The tables are about 2 ft off the ground.

Hey casualtoker!
Yea man, I like those tables.

I wish you had pics, cause I'm a bit perplexed...
Since you are draining into a 50 gal garbage can, I assume you are not doing a gravity fed drain. Especially since your tables are only 2' off the ground.

How are you getting the drainage into your garbage can?

fumancu

I used 1 1/2 inch pipe.I cut the pipe with a jig saw. that was the tricky part.Table saw would work best.I didnt have one though.Have one in my veg to.Hope it works for you.

Last edited:

zolar

re cutting pipe guide jig/rig -- 4 -2x4s put 2 on either side of pipe and use a regular circular saw with paneling blade

be sure to do it all on a plywood or wood surface so you can anchor against lateral movement by putting nail or screw at each end of both pipe and 2x4s and set the blade depth only about 1/2 inch farther than is needed to cut one side of the pipe [at most some folks set to just clear pipe this prevents binding up the blade and burning up the saw] you turn the pipe to make your second cut

this enables more pipe options ie half arc vs quarter arc

re floor elevation used the freight pallets they ship stuff on
to be ,move around with a forklift there is enough room for drain fittings in the middle but they need to be put in first before going on the floor [you can cover with plywood put in shallow sides caulk seams and paint with oilbase enamel or epoxy paint and install a bulkhead fitting with and elbow underneath with drain hose ebough to get out from under and VOILA custom drain pan with pump or remote drainage compatability]]

if your'e serious about water waste you should lookup greywater [ recycling non sewage waste water ie bathtub washing machine etc]

G

Ghosts

fumancu said:
I used 1 1/2 inch pipe.I cut the pipe with a jig saw. that was the tricky part.Table saw would work best.I didnt have one though.Have one in my veg to.Hope it works for you.
I was close!
I just got in from a quick run to the store.
I got roof panels and 1 1/4" PVC pipe (Maybe I won't need to bump up a 1/4" in size. But, if so, no biggie.)

I'm gonna give it a try!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm planning a 4'x4' under a 1kW in flower.

And later, maybe a 3'x3' (or so) under a 430W in veg.

zolar said:
re cutting pipe guide jig/rig -- 4 -2x4s put 2 on either side of pipe and use a regular circular saw with paneling blade
be sure to do it all on a plywood or wood surface so you can anchor against lateral movement by putting nail or screw at each end of both pipe and 2x4s and set the blade depth only about 1/2 inch farther than is needed to cut one side of the pipe [at most some folks set to just clear pipe this prevents binding up the blade and burning up the saw] you turn the pipe to make your second cut

this enables more pipe options ie half arc vs quarter arc
Hey Zolar!
I may have to rig this jig...very handy, thanks for the n-fo!

re floor elevation used the freight pallets they ship stuff on
to be ,move around with a forklift
Nice heads up on the pallets. I was wondering how to support the roof panels...and I can get 'em for free!

there is enough room for drain fittings in the middle but they need to be put in first before going on the floor [you can cover with plywood put in shallow sides caulk seams and paint with oilbase enamel or epoxy paint and install a bulkhead fitting with and elbow underneath with drain hose ebough to get out from under and VOILA custom drain pan with pump or remote drainage compatability
I appreciate that design, but I think I'm going to keep the fabrication to a minimum, this time.

if your'e serious about water waste you should lookup greywater [ recycling non sewage waste water ie bathtub washing machine etc]
Hey, thanks man, but I'm not THAT serious.
And don't be too quick to label my old bathwater as "non sewage" wastes...LOL

I'm just looking for a way to collect the drainage from my plants without have to lift them...

Thanks for your help!

:joint:

casualtoker

Ghosts said:
Hey casualtoker! Especially since your tables are only 2' off the ground.

How are you getting the drainage into your garbage can?
I will go take some pics now... It is gravity fed, obviously the 50 gal trash can is an overkill since it won't fill more than 2', but it's what I had laying around.