What's new

dr. greenthumb

be careful with dr. greenthumbs ecsd we had one from seed go hermy ape shit, its nothing special, i also wanted to point out the recent interview in skunk mag with dr. greenthumb it a hoot! he claims all the og "cuts" out there are from his seeds lol! and goes on to say hes not in it for the money but charges so little becouse trheres so much competition he has to, but if he really could charge what his gear is worth it would be a considerable amount more he stated, i highly recomend the read , we grew sour 13, endless sky more like no high! i will admit the dope is a good fruity decent yielding strain, my associate called him to inform about the hermy issuse and he blamed my partner that has 35yrs of indoor growing, we didnt take photos my partner pulled it before i could he was scared of pollen, we didnt want anything we just wanted to let him know there is an issue he didnt give a fuck and says in his inteview that hes never had a hermy from his fem seeds l HA!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I've grown the bubba og and the g13. I acquired both as clones. The bubba og was great smoke, not as good as bubba or og imo. It did have a very nice chocolate part to the flavor. The g13 is a beast of a plant, only OK smoke that's great for bedtime or pain relief. Kinda piney and thick smoke, not horrible but not my thing. Those beans are stupid priced so I hit the with pollen from my 3 most potent g13 widow males from an 18 pack. I'm hoping someday I'll get around to testing a decent population of those and finding a great g13. Way yummier things to work on first.

thegambler

be careful with dr. greenthumbs ecsd we had one from seed go hermy ape shit, its nothing special, i also wanted to point out the recent interview in skunk mag with dr. greenthumb it a hoot! he claims all the og "cuts" out there are from his seeds lol! and goes on to say hes not in it for the money but charges so little becouse trheres so much competition he has to, but if he really could charge what his gear is worth it would be a considerable amount more he stated, i highly recomend the read , we grew sour 13, endless sky more like no high! i will admit the dope is a good fruity decent yielding strain, my associate called him to inform about the hermy issuse and he blamed my partner that has 35yrs of indoor growing, we didnt take photos my partner pulled it before i could he was scared of pollen, we didnt want anything we just wanted to let him know there is an issue he didnt give a fuck and says in his inteview that hes never had a hermy from his fem seeds l HA!

I've been saying his Endless Sky has been terrible for a few years now......and this is just another affirmation that the strain sucks now. The name should be changed to "NO HIGH"........just so u know, it wasn't you!! It's the current genetics.

AND, yes, if you call him out on anything, he always claims grower error and then gets nasty and hangs up on you. I've been growing since 1988 and he also claimed I was a beginner. Don't send any money to this jerkoff.....or you'll just be plain unhappy in the end.

hes a joker for sure, he thinks becouse he pays outrageous amounts for " elite " cuts that in turn he can sell seeds made from said cuts for crazy $ i dont know if he realizes but those "elite cuts " are sold at most collectives for 20-30$ like blue dream and others and these cuts have been verified through terpene tests hes been duped so thinks he can dupe others, i find it hard to believe all the OG "cuts" out there are from his seeds

912greenskell

Hello gentlemen...I found this thread and wanted to put in my 2 cents, so I joined up to share my experience. I bought G-13 from greenthumb for the extreme price of $200 for 3 seeds. Figured sometime if you want the best you need to pay for the best...so much for that theory! Both plants I grew out were very, very different. One had no decent taste or smell and potency was not what you would expect from a legendary strain. Yield was good though on this one.
The other plant was the lowest yield of the year, but it actually had a nice taste. Again potency wasn't very impressive

Worst part? Greenthumb is further south than I am a couple of hours, and yet the plants were weeks from being finished when we cut them down on oct 20th.(trichs still clear) Total misrepresentation of finish date.

Midgrade stock and wayyyyyy overpriced. I've grown out peak seeds, Dutch passion, DNA and had vastly superior smoke for much cheaper.

thegambler

His G13 is usually used in breeding projects to increase yields in hybrids......the potency is hit and miss as some people report good potency. Outside, they take forever to finish. I'm guessing you would have had better luck growing them inside but either way, you learned a valuable lesson- Dr. Greenthumb equals average quality for expensive prices. By the way, there are other breeders working with the G13 in hybrids that are having some good success so check around and find them....you'll be happier.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Im starting to think G13 is as real as a unicorn. All of these breeders claim to have G13, but when do you ever see a picture of this g13? Magically only seed makers seem to have G13, I never see any growers showing off their G13 cuts. Growers seem to have everything else under the sun why not G13.

912greenskell

His G13 is usually used in breeding projects to increase yields in hybrids......the potency is hit and miss as some people report good potency. Outside, they take forever to finish. I'm guessing you would have had better luck growing them inside but either way, you learned a valuable lesson- Dr. Greenthumb equals average quality for expensive prices. By the way, there are other breeders working with the G13 in hybrids that are having some good success so check around and find them....you'll be happier.

Now don't get me wrong...even though they were not finished as advertised I still got 1.5lb off the lower yielding plant(though it was the lowest yielding plant of 4, 2 G's, 1 Dutch Passion BB, 1BCseedking Mango). The only reason I would even consider growing his strains out again is the G was pretty effective on my 70yr old buddies chronic pain.

if you are going to say it is not up to par, why not show some pics?
Jim ortega sent me seeds for the g13, and i assume that is what greenthumb offers.
the plants i got out of the 3 were all good plants, not easy to pick the keeper.
i saw two different phenos, would have kept each for different reasons.

i lost those g13s but have some fem F2's from them somewhere, waiting for the time and space.
i do have a nevilles haze x G13 that is dominant in the G13 side.
it takes 75-80 days where the NH mom took 120.
sometime next year i pan on breaking out the mns G13 haze and making some crosses.

912greenskell

if you are going to say it is not up to par, why not show some pics?
Jim ortega sent me seeds for the g13, and i assume that is what greenthumb offers.
the plants i got out of the 3 were all good plants, not easy to pick the keeper.
i saw two different phenos, would have kept each for different reasons.

i lost those g13s but have some fem F2's from them somewhere, waiting for the time and space.
i do have a nevilles haze x G13 that is dominant in the G13 side.
it takes 75-80 days where the NH mom took 120.
sometime next year i pan on breaking out the mns G13 haze and making some crosses.

I took pics of the plant and posted a detailed medical smoke and grow report on another site...hopefully its okay to link to external sites(if not happy to remove link)

Just realized that I only have one pic up..i could likely dig up another pic or two of the whole plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
cant see much of that small pic.

confused by your rating of it.
you say it has a strong indica buzz, decent-great crystal, one was close to largest yielder you had...and yet you didnt even get to grow it to its potential.
and thats midgrade to you?

i think they need around 70-77 days to flower.
that should be close to Oct 15 if they get triggered aug 1st where you are.
i understand if it doesnt fit your outdoor requirements, but cant really knock the plant because of that.

overpriced? maybe.
but if you take time and space into consideration, you may end up ahead by a far margin.
closest i could compare it too is sensi's mr nice.
spent more on those than the g13 would have cost. space/time/effort to bring 8 females to finish, only to find out none of them are good enough to keep...5,7,10 months later after giving them another shot i finally cut my losses.
all 3 g13 i saw were good enough to not discard without a little consideration first.

B

bruvio

his "iranian AF" crosses are real great for outdoors! can't speak about the rest...

my friends wants more Iranian Diesel from me, its a fact.

price is not low, but it worth.

thegambler

I grew indoors the "original" G13- actually it was labeled a hybrid of G13 X Hash Plant back in 1981-1982 from The Seed Bank, Nevils seed company many years ago. I think Dr. GreenThumb's looks pretty similar, although it's definitely not as potent but the yield is still there. I still have friends that talk about the strain as it was something special back then. A few friends still think it was some of the best around.........me, I just loved the incredible yields. Nevil's Northern Light hybrids were my favorite smoke back then.

i didnt know that stuff was around that long ago.
also surprised to see you say this about the yield.
thats one thing everyone with experience with the old g13 has said, it was never such a good yeilder, and now all of a sudden its back and a big yielder. thats why many people doubt its original. although now i realise you are talking about the hybrid and not the pure g13...

thegambler

Let me be clearer......Nevil supposedly received a single clone of G13 around 1986-1987 from a pot research facility in Tennessee. It was supposedly a superior indica, heavy yield, and done in 60 days. A Holy Grail by most accounts. He selved it and started producing regular seeds of it for his seed catalog out of Amsterdam. That's what i grew for about 1 year, on a large scale and knew the plant very well. Personally I like his Northern Lights plants and N.L. hybrids more, but for shear potency, G13 was it. I was getting 4 oz per plant of the G13 and only 1.25 oz off the N.L.

Come years later, Nevil gets arrested and was looking at major prison time so he sold most everything he had (seed business and seeds/mother plants/clones) to Sensi Seed who took his G13 and mixed in their Hash Plant, thus G13 X Hash Plant. I grew this out twice, it was good but not the original. Nevil disappeared for a number of years before making a deal with the authorities and went home, did some minor time and was done with that.

Lastly, take it from me- it has always been a monster yielder. I went back and found some of Nevil's original catalogs and even he mention "great yield" in the description. Dr. GreenThumb, who supposely has a clone of the original G13, states people regularly get 2 lbs. off of 1 plant. I don't think, actually I'm pretty sure, that the potency isn't what is once was, but the yield sure is.

thegambler

Well. after posting the below (or above comment), I wasn't absolutely sure what I said was 100% correct so I went back and did more checking. Here is the original catalog posting for the strain:

"The Seed Bank - G-13 x Hash Plant F-1 Hybrid
One of the fastest-flowering indoor hybrids that we have yet produced. It has the marvellous potency and quick finish of Hash Plant, plus vigor and yield. In our lest test, all seedlings finished in less than 50 days of flowering, producing beautifully solid, heavy buds. Clones from the seedlings rooted very easily and should flower even more quickly. Powerful all-Indica high, but not brutal. This hybrid has perhaps the best balance of speed, yield and quality, destined for commercial success!

Indoor height at 100 days: 36-50 inches.
Indoor yield at 100 days: up to 100 grams.
Indoor flowering period at 12 hrs. darkness: 45-50 days."

As I suspected, Nevil did not self the strain, he just hybridized it with his Hash Plant, creating G13 X Hash Plant. He never sold just straight G13 seeds. Only hybrids made with it. Sensi Seeds just continued to work with the strain when they got the mothers/seeds from Nevil.

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
This is exactly what my G-13 cut I was given back in 94 looked like and I have not found anything that is like this for the past 5 years Ive been hunting through seeds and taking with people and I haven't found anything like it. I found this pic and it was labeled "Mota's G" but I asked him about it and head nothing to he could tell me. Which makes no sense but whatever...

I spent the $200 on DRGT and even talked to him on the phone. And I only popped one out of the two seeds he sent me. And after several runs. It was junk. Hemp quality I could not give the shit way.

This is G13 as I remember her.

Huge yields of amazing flowers that would knock down anyone who smoked her period. Sweet Pure Hash smell. Deadly potency and never any tolerance.

I searched the net for years and this picture is the best representation I could find. I had pics of her but they were Polaroid's and I do not on have them. They were thrown out years ago.

Now I do not know if she was this Hash plant hybrid your talking about. But all I know is she was called G-13 when she was gifted to me and everyone referred to her as the "G"

Anything like what you ran?

Damn. I was hoping to find this thread for some decent stuff on DR. Greenthumb. Im really only interested in the trainwreck and og kush. but if they aren't what they say they are, or are a huge hit and miss, its not seeming like its worth it.

has anyone elses documented greenthumb grows besides dr. gruber ?

foxylady

GreenThumb! He's a totally nice guy! 'Hello my name is Dr Greenthumb' :)
don't think too much of berner though, but he's a good dad :)

Peace,

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Based on Philthy's pics alone...........I would give the ghost s1's a shot. That budshot in the beginning of the thread is awesome!!