What's new

Does Colorado want me? You tell me

x357rq

I have been growing for about 5 years now in a state in the midwest where I face both state and federal penalties if caught. No med marijuana program here. A lot of you guys are in the same boat I am, growin stealth and having to be super secretive at all times, and STILL worrying about the consequences. I just lost my job and am looking to move and was really looking into the Ft.Collins area in Colorado. Obviously life would still be cautious, but very different in the state of Colorado.

I would be looking into being a caretaker for around 8 people, I feel this would allow me to keep garden size and support myself well even if I provided people with meds for say $50 a 1/4....and yes I know that no profit is supposed to be made, but if I undersell the dispencaries then who is making the profit?

My questions for you, Colorado, are:

Is looking and asking around for people who need a caretaker the right way? Or do dispencaries sub out there patients to keep everyone legal? I want to help the system not hurt it.

Are there too many growers already and you want to close the doors? I realize some of you might say yes automatically, but I've been researching and it seems that patient numbers are growing fast and everyone must provide their own meds or dedicate a caregiver...surely people are in need.

I read one forum that states that the fed crackdown is relatively non existent for people that comply with state law, but then read elsewhere (same month, september 09) that feds are bustin everything up and numerous dispensaries.

If anyone can help me out, with losing my job my life is a mess right now and any bit of guidance would be much appreciated. I'm not trying to steal turf or hurt an area that I am new to learning about. Thank you for your time and continue fighting for our rights.

no profit is pointless

no profit is pointless

I have been growing for about 5 years now in a state in the midwest where I face both state and federal penalties if caught. No med marijuana program here. A lot of you guys are in the same boat I am, growin stealth and having to be super secretive at all times, and STILL worrying about the consequences. I just lost my job and am looking to move and was really looking into the Ft.Collins area in Colorado. Obviously life would still be cautious, but very different in the state of Colorado.

I would be looking into being a caretaker for around 8 people, I feel this would allow me to keep garden size and support myself well even if I provided people with meds for say $50 a 1/4....and yes I know that no profit is supposed to be made, but if I undersell the dispencaries then who is making the profit?

My questions for you, Colorado, are:

Is looking and asking around for people who need a caretaker the right way? Or do dispencaries sub out there patients to keep everyone legal? I want to help the system not hurt it.

Are there too many growers already and you want to close the doors? I realize some of you might say yes automatically, but I've been researching and it seems that patient numbers are growing fast and everyone must provide their own meds or dedicate a caregiver...surely people are in need.

I read one forum that states that the fed crackdown is relatively non existent for people that comply with state law, but then read elsewhere (same month, september 09) that feds are bustin everything up and numerous dispensaries.

If anyone can help me out, with losing my job my life is a mess right now and any bit of guidance would be much appreciated. I'm not trying to steal turf or hurt an area that I am new to learning about. Thank you for your time and continue fighting for our rights.

tell that to big pharma.....:2cents:

K

KermitTheHermit

but then read elsewhere (same month, september 09) that feds are bustin everything up and numerous dispensaries.

That was an FBI bust of a dispensary operation that had some kind of link to credit card fraud. The bust was due to the credit card scam, not the dispensaries. Obama's DEA has been directed not to go after operations that are not in violation of state law.

Marshmello

This is Amerrrika!

You can go wherever the fuck you feel like.

Plenty of available real estate in Colorado...if you hurry, you'll make Halloween.

pikes peak 69

Actually there is a need for quality caregivers. Nothing wrong with asking to be a Cg for someone. Go to support groups or hand out flyers at the clinics. Disp do farm out their patients, that's another route to go as well. Hell start a support group in your area and advertise in the newspaper about a group.
There all literally a hundred ways to find patients.

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
We would love to have more people with the views you have on mmj,
I think you would be a fine asset to the great state of Colorado.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
As pp69 said, there are MANY ways to find patients. It sounds to me like you're hurting for $$$, make sure you have both equipment and $$$ if/when you move out here, or at least $$$. Having your own genetics wouldn't hurt, but I'm sure you could find some once you got here. There is ALWAYS a need for quality people here, alot of people moved here with $$$ in their eyes, and are providing crappy meds and/or charging high dollar as a result. If you show up and provide a quality product for a competitive price, people will flock to you. :2cents:

Good luck, any more ?'s just ask! :wave:

Owl Mirror

Veteran
x357rq , since you do not currently have a job, are you looking to move and begin making money right away?
I'm just asking since, I'm certain most people would want to sample your experience, see your setup, etc... before signing on as a patient. As you know, that all takes many months.
I don't know your situation but, might it not be best to find employment first, get settled in and, then grow out a crop to show the prospective patients?

Good luck !

BudGood

Veteran
x357rq , since you do not currently have a job, are you looking to move and begin making money right away?
I'm just asking since, I'm certain most people would want to sample your experience, see your setup, etc... before signing on as a patient. As you know, that all takes many months.
I don't know your situation but, might it not be best to find employment first, get settled in and, then grow out a crop to show the prospective patients?

Good luck !

:yeahthats

Good advice! :respect:

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Hey 357, I was considering that move also, but after reading the laws it seems that it would be tough to be a caretaker and not ever break the law. If I invested in making the move, I would certainly want to be safe from prosecution at all times.

If I have misconceptions about the law, please inform me, I hope I'm wrong.

After reading the NC legislation on their proposed MMJ program, 100 sq. ft. grow canopy and 24 oz. dried product per rec., CO's 6 plant and 2 oz. per rec. is pyuny. NC MMJ is not law though, yet.

BudGood

Veteran
^^^It's only a guideline. Read the law, a patient is allowed whatever they deem necessary. Beyond that, a patient can either use the affirmative defense, or get a recommendation from their doctor for a higher plant count/dry amount. I'd never go over 100 plants personally, keeps the feds fingers out of the equation.

EDIT: Zenoonez, no there isn't. But as I said, for safeties sake, under 100 plants is the way to go.

x357rq

I have roughly $20k in the bank and more purchasing power with 0% finance credit cards if needed. I estimated on the high side of 10k to get established and be able to eat while waiting for product...the only part that scares me at the moment is how to start a garden since i'm sure it will be hard to get signed caregiver papers on people if they have to wait 3 months to see what they get...but i can't start until i get those papers...never ending circle. even though i really assume that people are signing over caregiver rights to more than one person since i dont believe there are enough checks and balances unless a bust goes down. i may depend on this to get started even though it's kind of sketch.

BudGood

Veteran
I have roughly $20k in the bank and more purchasing power with 0% finance credit cards if needed. I estimated on the high side of 10k to get established and be able to eat while waiting for product...the only part that scares me at the moment is how to start a garden since i'm sure it will be hard to get signed caregiver papers on people if they have to wait 3 months to see what they get...but i can't start until i get those papers...never ending circle. even though i really assume that people are signing over caregiver rights to more than one person since i dont believe there are enough checks and balances unless a bust goes down. i may depend on this to get started even though it's kind of sketch.

That'd probably be enough to start out, I dunno, maybe you just want to stay under the radar til you harvest, then go find some patients, OR, get a rec yourself, grow less than 100, stay lowkey til you harvest, then get more patients. Either way, stay under the radar, you're not just worried about cops, but rippers as well.

Ugh, I got no life, I got that purple leaf for activity award next to my name, lol!

pikes peak 69

It's not unrealistic to ask a patient to wait until you harvest. They could still go to others in the mean time. Also you could find them meds in the mean time.
Or hookup with a disp to get patients to start with.

Just some thoughts,
pp69

VAtransplant

I just moved to the place you're thinking about half way through August. I came out here with $2g lol- but I'm not trying to rely on any op for cash so I got a crap job and wala. Hope it works out for you, lovin d fort

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You may want to look around, housing in Ft. Collins isn't the best bargain, but it is a great town, especially if you dig college chicks in old town!

I don't know what the housing prices are like where you are coming from but there are other areas that are quite a bit cheaper along the front range. Good luck, Co is laid back, that's why I've stayed here my entire life, plus if you're into the outdoors it can't be beat.

Latest posts

Latest posts