What's new

Do you use a grinder?

C

Chamba

If you are not using a quality grinder then you are either wasting resin and or not getting a perfectly uniform grind.

Grinders don't actually "grind" but pull the bud apart and will definitely deliver the perfect grind with the minimum of resin loss and any resin that does stick to the pins is retrievable, ...if your bud is a little over dry then simply give it only two turns instead of three or four.

I've used the same wooden grinder for years now, it's a square shaped rosewood grinder, it cost twice as much as the others but it's quality that lasts....the stainless steel pins are semi-self cleaning and the resin build up on the two halves can be easily scraped off with the right blade, every few months or so you use sandpaper to remove hard to scrape of resin and your wood grinder will work like new. It's also worth mentioning that some people gunk up their grinders almost daily and get to hate them..while other hardly have to clean them weekly, the main reason is how to use them properly, so many people don't. Each grinder has a female and a male half, make sure that the bud is inside the male half and not hanging over the edge of the grinder and the female is on top when rotating it, this will definitely minimize resin build up and you'll only have to clean it a few times per month for heavy smokers.

Crushing bud with your fingers is fast and works too, but the problem is that you are smudging the best trichomes on your fingers, I'd rather smoke them instead of wasting them and as has been mentioned before, with many types of bud, your fingers can become very sticky and that makes rolling jays difficult.

Scissors are good when the bud is a little too damp than ideal...but the problem is that scissors crush and squash the bud as well as cut it (while grinders fluff up the bud when it's grinded) and if there are any small stems in the bud, these get cut up while with a herb grinder, these small stems are separated during grinding and then can easily be picked out from the ground up herb before rolling or packing in a bowl...if you carefully remove every single piece of stem (and leaf) before grinding, your smoke will taste better. If you are going to use scissors then get yourself some with very thin, fine, pointy sharp blades as big chunky blades tend to remove lots more resin that gets stuck to the blades and they crush and squash the bud. And whether you are using a grinder or scissors, make sure it has stainless steel pins or blades to minimize resin loss and build up. Many cheap grinders have brass pins which are not as smooth as stainless steel so get gunked up with resin much faster...most cheap grinders have crappy stiff action that just gets worse with use, a quality grinder should have a perfect, free turning action, to test it, hold one half and spin the top one, a quality made grinder will spin freely, a crappy one will not.

I usually remove the large stems before grinding and then grind up chunks of budettes for a perfect blend every time,

anyway, gotta go and get back to the grind!

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I have a four piece chromium crusher. I like how the ground herb burns quick and evenly. But I never use the kief sifting screen. I grind and then smoke it all. I'm not saving anything for later. I'd like to find a three piece (no screen) with a deeper bottom section to hold the finished product.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i remember Soma´s words in an interview; he said something like "no i don´t use grinders, i don´t like them. you don´t feel the weed you cannot touch it. i like to feel how hard it is, feel the resin, it´s structure..."
I can understand that, but I feel the weed when I'm breaking up the large buds out of my jar in order to put smaller buds in my high quality grinder.

A good grinders makes the bud smoke better IMO. I'll make love to my weed when I'm trimming it and initially breaking it up to go in the grinder. After all that I'll want my joint to burn perfectly smooth. But maybe I just suck at finger f$##@!?

I like pinching the tips off nice buds, as careful as possible, and putting them in the pipe though fo sho.

Last edited:

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
if you've never used a grinder, go get one of the cheap round wooden ones with the pins in em like a bunch of small finishing nails knocked in with no heads on em. they really do work nice, and a knock of is cheap, try it you'll like it! as long as you don't prefer your pot when it's really sticky.

L

longearedfriend

I like to use my plastic grinder, I get a couple of plastic shavings in my spliffs from time to time but I figure it's gonna get me more high.

shmalphy

Veteran
I use fiskars and cut it up on my kif screen.

fiskars.jpg

DropDropDrop

I prefer grinders over any other method for the simple fact that I dont have to touch the bud, im a bit allergic to cannabis plant and dont certainly want to rub it on my skin/eyes/wherever if it isn't necessary. Also if the weed is too dry and im breaking it with scissors there can be small particles floating in the air and my throat, lungs and nose dont like any kind of dusty materia around/in them.

Not that I have a grinder at the moment, though.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
'bout 1/2 the time....
i use a small "onie" bowl on my bong so i just pinch for that but, for rolling or large packs i grind with my mendo mulcher...
picked it up on a vacay to norcal.

fort bragg FTMFW!!!!

O

OrganicOzarks

If you knew what I did for a living this would be very ironic.

I don't use a grinder, and never plan on using one again. I have a rolling tray that I tear my shit up on with my fingers, and roll joints only. Look up butane toxicity on the googles. You young hipsters know about the googles there on the interwebs right?

No pipes for me either. Seriously people, if you knew, you would be laughing your asses off right now. :)

whodare

Veteran
Then enlighten us oh wise one.

What's wrong with smoking out of glass.

Butane is a safe extraction method. That's if your not a moron...

dddaver

Veteran
I have a hemp plastic grinder but never use it. I bought at more as a novelty item. I like to break up the buds with my fingers and nails. I like the smell on my fingers.

supermanlives

Veteran
hell no i aint breaking it up by hand . i used to use scissors but i use scissors enough trimming .fuck that and my stuff is sticky. grinders rule. i clean mine in a jar of alcohol. then evaporate it off and smoke. no waste

big twinn

Veteran
I've got both a Titanium space case and a Mendo Mulcher. The space case was supposed to have a life time warranty, but of corse the screen isn't covered, and it was started to wear apart. the mendo mulcher is in my opinion better quality, though a bit "clunky" and def. nicer priced, highly recommend it. If im packing, I grind it up no doubt!

O

OrganicOzarks

Then enlighten us oh wise one.

What's wrong with smoking out of glass.

Butane is a safe extraction method. That's if your not a moron...

I was talking about butane toxicity. I not once said anything about glass.

If I were to smoke out of a pipe I sure would not do it with a butane lighter, and continuously inhale butane fumes. I would use a hemp wick system like the ital hemp wick.

Thank you for calling me by my one and only true name

"Oh Wise One":)

I had a friend addicted to butane huffing. By what you say that should have been a safe habit. I think his lack of brain cells begs to differ.:)

dnabud

grinders are ok but i dont like all the stem pieces so i use a kitchen strainer , it breakes everything up to a consistant size and the stems and stuff can be removed

K

kauch

i dont like grinders..i usually work my buds with hands i love feel the resin on my fingers