What's new

do you think there is a market for a stealthy auto darkining greenhouse?

Kenny Lingus

I poste this answer in the wrong thread for some reason, but here it is again...

Use a regular shed, solartubes and you can have internal hid-lights and bloom year round wo anyone seeing nothing...

What do you mean
"Use a regular shed, solartubes and you can have internal hid-lights and bloom year round wo anyone seeing nothing..."
Uhhhhh how will it SELF DARKEN? .......yep didnt think so Next contestant please!!!
Again does anyone have any Pix of homemeade or store bought automatic blackout greenhouses/covers?

Slapstick

Hey River-rat,

I have thought of this idea as well. It would seriously be perfect for us northern growers. Our problem is often that by the time that good sativa strains starts to flower its winter, and well they die.
By having an auto shader, the flowering proces could be jump stated a few months earlier. Also, the type of greenhouse, should be insulated, and have plugins for electricity (for artificial lights, ofc. so that one could give a boost in vinter times, and also do a veg crop at that time). that way one would be able to take full advantage of the sun all year round.
Preferably there should be two seperate rooms in the auto-greener/auto shader so that it would be able to have a vege room and a bloom room. I would seriously pay for such a thing... one day when i have money i have plans to build one, but a professional kit, would seriously be a winner!!!!!!

Last edited:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Kenny Lingus said:
I poste this answer in the wrong thread for some reason, but here it is again...

Use a regular shed, solartubes and you can have internal hid-lights and bloom year round wo anyone seeing nothing...

Sad247summer said:
What do you mean
"Use a regular shed, solartubes and you can have internal hid-lights and bloom year round wo anyone seeing nothing..."
Uhhhhh how will it SELF DARKEN? .......yep didnt think so Next contestant please!!!
Again does anyone have any Pix of homemeade or store bought automatic blackout greenhouses/covers?

I think you are on the right path Kenny, Solar Tubes look very interesting, with a solar panel it could run very well "off grid".

Sad, it is far easier to build a mechanism that shuts a 12" or 18" tube than a whole greenhouse.

Kenny Lingus

Sad247summer said:
What do you mean

Solar tubes can be set up with light-baffles running from 30mA control currents, so it can even be fitted with dimmable filters or whatever you'd like, so I assume it can darken when ever you'd like to....can't it?!?

Some models can have implemented light, filters/dimmers and even venting... (I'm a bit unsure on their mere output, but it can be brilliant as free support light of natural specter.

I have seen the solar tube baffles and some light gets thru, the ones that offer dimming I have not seen.
No I dont think it would be easier to build a DIY baffle for 12in/18in Round that is as light tight as needed to properly flowered. The idea of automated is to NOT HAVE TO MESS WITH IT TO MAKE IT DARK!!!!

Last edited:

Kenny Lingus

Ok! Guess solar tubes are out of the question then...

(Seem hard to accept that they can capture the sun all day through, but flipping a mirror to shut it all of is impossible.)

I'm hanging more towards Catalunyas idea... Probably would be much easier to darken a 12inch hole than a complete roof, but I guess the costs will elevate beyond sky high just with the tubes and technicalities needed. (Sadly my area cannot grow very much without manipulation of lightcycle, so I guess I'll have to fiddle a bit more.)

Thanks for pointing out issues of solar-tubes (I've just read a bit about them and never seen one IRL.)
I get the ense that you really don't wan't to hear about them anymore so off I go...

-But how much are those poly-plates you where considering per square meter? (I consider building an overly dimentioned coldframe.)

Last edited:
Yah where I live we are getting 16/20hrs of light a day when it is warm enough to put plants outside. So to do an outdoor thing covering is absolutley necesary.
The solar tubes are sweet "sory to come down so hard but the Automated part is what everyone is after." I have seen them in action and they get the job done, but I have never seen an automated Blackout option for them. However I am looking @ "Electric Glass" its like a giant LCD the when I gets a current it goes black, but I think it blocks almost all the UV...

Kenny Lingus

The hi-tech glass is a really cool idea. Seen some glass stuff that can do all incredible stuff... (like heat-exchange as long as some daylight hit it, and also glass that can be controlled by electricity to protrude as mirror or whatever is wanted.)

Problem with most commercial greenhouse rigs I've seen are size and light pollution. (at least those in use here in the outdated Scandinavian production houses. (They basically use heavy fabric drapes/curtains to cover roof and walls SO THERE IS A CUBED DARK AREA INSIDE, but this allow for proper air circulation as they aren't all sealed up) guess other crops aren't to sensitive to light leaks either, and some of the reason for blacking out these houses are to avvoid external pollution during dark periods (winter time).

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Interesting stuff about glass guys, but remember, night time for our plants does not have to be total pitch darkness, walking around on a cloudless night under full moon is amazingly light.

This is not an option for me cause @ 7pm when they get covered the sun is still @ its brightest, so any light polution will cause problems. There is a link somewhere that says how many lumens the moon reflcets @ us.
The best part about the way the light cycle is, you can just place 2 12v fans(the battery ones from wally world) hook them up to a solar cell and the brighter the sun is the more the boxes ventilate and they provide just enought air flow on cold rainy overcast days to avoid mold WO sulfur.

Ok here is what I need a high torque(2500lb) winch with And this is the MOST important it needs to be 12/24/(36 this is a bit high)V with a DIRECT Power Take Off connection basicly a shaft off the cable spindle I can conect the drive assembly from my DIY unit. I keep snapping chains, stripping/jumping belts so direct shaft is whe next atempt.
Any links would be Great and remember cheap is better!!!!!!!

robbiedublu

I think it will be difficult or at least cost prohibitive to get a totally light tight automatic covering. My indoor plants will hermie with almost any light leak at all. May be strain dependent though.

Latest posts

Latest posts