What's new

Do (some, many) Icmag Members Have A Science Problem?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
know what is best

both science and religion would have it that we come from the same source and would imply that we are all in essence "family"

remove the hyperbole, they can be used to achieve the same understanding that's why only small minds ridicule and hate

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Devilgoob is your post bullshit or divine understanding? Anyways it made for good reading and making me think a bit.

My take is anyone 'worshiping' anything is taking a risk of becoming a non thinking dummy.

Religion is the worst for this turning off the mind stuff, but have seen plenty of other ideology, people worship, etc. that is just as bad.

Hitler, Stalin to name 2 were treated like gods and their ideas were embraced with a fanatical zeal equal to any modern day Muslim terrorist or the like.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Science, ultimately, is the search for truth. It does this by employing the scientific method, the best tool for expanding knowledge that we human's have ever devised. As we use the scientific method over time we learn new information, and discard the older (formerly true) information. Sometimes the scientists involved become enamored of their own life's work and cling to it in the face of new evidence. Of course this is wrong...but it's one of the many human deficiencies. It's not the individual scientists that are important...it's the process of the scientific method and each new piece of information that is learned by using it.

To those not familiar with the scientific method (and it seems there are many on this board who aren't), you have no hope of understanding science. These are the people who don't trust science...because the products of the scientific method are always changing. Well, that's just part of the process of learning. This process requires that we value truth, and learning, and are willing to invest the extra mental energy that expanding our knowledge takes. That extra mental energy spent is well worth it for those who really care about what makes our world tick. Quite similar to spending a bit of extra effort in doing some exercise....if we don't exercise in our later years look what happens....our health deteriorates and life becomes painful.

In my opinion, SCIENCE is the search for the ultimate truth(s). As such, it is also the search for God, because God is, if anything, the final word. Faith based religions are a human construct, and are perfect for controlling it's adherents lives. Don't use your God given intellect to understand your world....just have faith that your religion (and it's human controllers) have your best intentions at heart.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
religions are dogmatic and are humanitarian principles founded on a belief sometimes in the "supernatural" sometimes not. science is blended into many dogmas some to fantastic effect.

science can be used to further humanitarian principles but it can also be used to harm humanity

science does not have a bias it is purely the unfolding understanding of the universal reality we all work within

we do not need science to define our humanity or work within its parameters

understand that science is born of us and because of that the motivation in it's use is subjective to the desires outcome we desire and it just like religion is not evil or good

it is the applied use of human beings that turns either into + or - , heaven or hell, uniting or dividing factor.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
science, being born from the same race from which the various dogmas and philosophies were born from are still , like us, evolving

when science is no longer diluted by subjective beings then ill "cancel my subscription to the resurrection*"

http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...ve-been-unable-reproduce-studies-survey-finds

Number Of Published Cancer Studies That Can't Be Reproduced Is Shockingly High
Half of cancer scientists have failed to reproduce the findings of other researchers, according to an anonymous survey.

* little doors plagiarism in honor of r.kreiger

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
science, being born from the same race from which the various dogmas and philosophies were born from are still , like us, evolving

when science is no longer diluted by subjective beings then ill "cancel my subscription to the resurrection*"

Of the various dogmas and philosophies born of humans, good science is unique in that it is centered upon methodologies of self correction (note; the Dalai Lama has argued that portions of Bhuddism involving observation, and science, are the same). There is nothing that we are involved in that isn't the product of "subjective beings".

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Of the various dogmas and philosophies born of humans, good science is unique in that it is centered upon methodologies of self correction (note; the Dalai Lama has argued that portions of Bhuddism involving observation, and science, are the same). There is nothing that we are involved in that isn't the product of "subjective beings".

But here within lies the crux of it all

if we were all to become subject to the humanity within ourselves and others; religious dogmas, philosophies and the sciences would all simply be tools used by us all to further the same means

the evil that exists in the world, the proverbial devils and demons are the part of our ego that would have us believe that we are different on the inside because of our color of our outside or the vehicles we use to understand the same humanity that lies within us all. And of course those that recognize these dynamics and exploit them for their own means regardless

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
So all humans have within them the capacity for both good and evil. Knowledge can be applied to achieve both ends. Science is a methodology to acquire and verify knowledge. So science can be applied to achieve both good or evil. Requires very little verbiage to state this.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
So all humans have within them the capacity for both good and evil. Knowledge can be applied to achieve both ends. Science is a methodology to acquire and verify knowledge. So science can be applied to achieve both good or evil. Requires very little verbiage to state this.

the capacity to understand good and evil relative to humanity exists within us regardless of science or the need for it

science is nothing more than a tool and tools can be used for good or evil including defining it and in regards to developing a deeper understanding of humanity science and religion are not mutually exclusive in the fact they are both tools that can achieve the same means to the same end in regards to consciousness and humanity

Dilbert Do

http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...ve-been-unable-reproduce-studies-survey-finds

Number Of Published Cancer Studies That Can't Be Reproduced Is Shockingly High
Half of cancer scientists have failed to reproduce the findings of other researchers, according to an anonymous survey.

* little doors plagiarism in honor of r.kreiger

That's science working. By carefully documenting the original procedure, other people were able to attempt it independently to determine the credibility of the original result.

They found out that the original claims were bullshit. That's worth knowing.

The mistake lies in people putting too much stock in one off experiments. As I said earlier in the thread, reproducing an experiment is science. I would argue that without reproduction, the science isn't actually complete. It's a shame there's not more funding for or attention to this critical step.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
we do not need science to define our humanity or work within its parameters

the capacity to understand good and evil relative to humanity exists within us regardless of science or the need for it

did science create humanity?

I don't think it's possible to know totally what is in someone's head. And I sure don't claim to know the workings of your mind. But your statements indicate to me that you're reading something into this discussion that no one else sees.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wouldnt be surprised if weird doesnt have some resentment due to "science crusaders" who think they know literally everything because they adhere to science {my apologies CR ~just using the term 'crusader' not a ref to U} these guys have applied their confirmation bias to whatever their data pool is and are harshly critical ~citing "science" as the defense for their noble position

i dont blame him

there is evidence that science created humanity ~such as the 'aliens-cloned-workers' thinkings or; maybe 'god' used "science" to form man from dust {atoms?}

science as a field of study is pretty fun and interesting ~i defo enjoyed the 'science' classes over like math or english in school {i m using these terms like how the classes are named}

One member felt it necessary to inform me that he built a solar panel today. Thus refuting my argument, right? Except it didn't, because nobody said science isn't useful. It's useful the same way that a sledgehammer or a 12mm wrench is useful. It's a tool, not a guiding philosophy.

The Nazis were science worshippers too. They brought us Zyklon B (another tool), and built highly efficient death factories to use it against their enemies. They performed horrific scientific experiments upon their fellow man. In fact, everything that "science" knows today about how cold affects the human body comes to us from Nazi scientists. They would put people in freezing cold rooms, then sit there with a stopwatch and time how long it took the poor, helpless person to succumb to hypothermia and death. All that information was taken and used by the American scientific establishment after WW2.

Science is not a religion. Many people need to stop worshipping it. The first step to stop doing something is to recognize that you are doing it. If you are not worshipping God (Nature, and to a much lesser extent Society), then you are by default worshipping Mammon (Self). America today worships itself. That's why we have idiots who scoff at the idea of God i.e. an entity greater than themselves. It bruises their ego to think that they themselves are not the highest power in the Universe. The irony of being a tiny, pitiful speck on a backwater planet, while laughably thinking itself king of the Universe, is lost on them.

One important step to recognizing one's place in the Universe is to realize that the Bible, Quran, etc etc are not bullshit; these folk stories contain important lesson learned through millenia of hard experience, many of which are true today and which will ALWAYS remain true, even if the dead language it was written in thousands of years ago is itself obsolete. Brushing it all aside as nonsense is the height of foolishness, arrogance, and SELFISHNESS.

Many who do not believe in the divinity of Jesus (such as myself) still contend that the man's philosophy contains much wisdom and importance that transcends time and applies equally well today.

Science is orthogonal to all of that. It's just a tool. Trying to compare science and spirituality is foolish. They are two different things. If your life is missing one of the two, you're already dead and don't even know it.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Not all of the human experience can be directly and repeatably observed, and quantified. That is pretty much a requirement to be classified as science. Portions of the human experience therefore remain outside the realm of science. Anyone who thinks that science explains everything is mistaken.

I've dealt with the people you speak of xmobotx. I think they're assholes.