What's new

Do (some, many) Icmag Members Have A Science Problem?

Cannabologist

Veteran
Do you think so?

I do.

Lots of nonsense, backed by rampant distrust for science in general, cause you know, it's like, the government dude. And conspiracies. Remember JFK? I do. He got shot. By aliens.

Fine to rant and rave on a computer, built all by research done by the government, but remember, science can't be trusted especially because its funded by the government...

Come on now.

Of course one needs to be skeptical. Of course, there ARE problems in science, HUGE problems, and one could rightly label certain things that happen as conspiracies, but the way people just outright come off... The absolute insane nature...

And then. If it isn't bad enough, when it comes to science matters, I often see the people giving the science banned, and those who troll those people to oblivion not, and instead they get to offer their nonsense without any ill effect? Sad. Why is there need for intelligent questions, for smart people and smart posts? I know I have no need, when the equals and greaters are exiled or leave:tumbleweed:

b8man

Veteran
Decades of being told scientific "facts" which turned out to be completely wrong make you a bit cynical.

So coffee causes cancer this week? Alcohol is good for you? Sunlight is bad for you? It almost feels like the studies are just commissioned to sell products.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
People that see conspiracy in most everything are over represented because they post about it more than those who do not. They feel it is their duty to warn us. They are not that numerous.

You are the exception that will call them nuts and kinda complain about it.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
We can bounce lasers off the mirrors we left on the moon, yet apparently we've never been to the moon ..... god bless conspiracy theorists and their little cotton socks, funny little pricks aren't they :)

Last edited:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
The reason that there are so many conspiracy theories is because:

there are so many conspiracies.

If you don't think there are any...then you will be very surprised when the rug is pulled out from underneath you.

The truth is out there....waaaay out there man. :)

Last edited:

MIway

Veteran
From what i learned in cartoons, man and dinosaurs used to work a rock quary together. Now science comes along and tells me thats not the case? Well, if u look to the good book and mans history, the number support the flintstones, so...??? Boo on science and all their revisionist history, i tell ya... And dont let me get started on what i learned from wile e coyote

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I often see the people giving the science banned, and those who troll those people to oblivion not,

......sometimes the posters dishing out the science are really just 1 person who has been banned but comes back repeatedly under a new handle playing the same tired old games.

Scientists can be just as arrogant and obnoxious as anyone else, sometimes even more so because they can have big egos and they use science to back themselves up.

..... sometimes they also use science as a tool for trolling and after awhile it just becomes all too obvious!:biggrin:

offthehook

Veteran
The science of what...? Pfff.

I mean, often times things are so large, and science just a piece of the jigsaw puzzle to help understand things.

As we've seen before in the grand scheme of things, when science was token out of the larger context of matters, things usually became very dangerous.

Sure I listen to what they have to say, but never on a way that I would be willing to detach it from my own intuition.

Who is Supreme...? Science? the law? Our collective conscience? My individual conscience? A combination of afore mentioned? None of the above?

PS. FLMAO @ Skulls'n roses. Right on man! We're all in denial of our own substance abuse if we allow political science to tell us so, lol

WelderDan

Veteran
Some people are just assholes.

Science isn't always correct, but that's the good thing about science. If the facts change, or if new info is available, science allows for that and the correct answer is eventually found. Science learns from its mistakes.

Can't say that about some of our resident conspiracy theorists.

O

OrganicOzarks

I love science. I live by science. That being said, science get's proven wrong every single day. What seems like the correct answer today could be completely wrong tomorrow.

I do a shit ton of tests, and research into my own products. The one thing I have learned is that studies are not something to live your life by. They can provide some good info, and they can point you in a direction, but MOST of the time they are not definitive.

The actual situation in which the study was done will MOST likely not be replicated in the real world. Thus making the study impractical in the real world.

What I have learned about these forums is that everyone wants to point out this study, or that study, and hold it up like it is God's words. These people need to not read as much, and get out there and do there own research. I spent 4 hours yesterday mixing, testing properties, adjusting consistency, and killing insects. No studies necessary. :)

But yah Scientific studies are always right, and we also landed on the moon 50 years ago, but we can't do it now. Even though our technology is far superior. :)

Question everything, believe nothing.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Science was used to justify the dangers of marijuana and make it illegal in the first place. Science can be used to paint any picture you like.

This is the grey area marking men love to manipulate, let me give you an example.

Look at the plant nutrient market, all science is doing is reverse engineering all the elements, microbiology, hormones, enzymes, amino, etc that exist naturally in various environments, determining the causation behind them and bottling them for ease of use and application.

The same means can be achieved with organics without verbose scientific understanding. But they certainly sell it like they invented something that would grow a plant to a greater potential than nature could otherwise.

All over the forums there are GROSS misrepresentations of all kinds of information, and not because it is necessarily wrong, but relative and only applicable in certain situations.

in MMJ most of the cultivars we have today were not developed scientifically and the best examples are not grown in laboratories by scientists.

why not have all the people who preach science like it is religion show us their degrees?
Gross majority of people who "talk" science here are people who learned "science" informally well after the fact.

How many of the "breeders" here started off as counter culture heads and learned the science later on? A real scientist has no problem giving credentials and apply scientific technique in a such a way the results can be qualified. If not they are simply science "hacks". Not that "hacking" (or working outside the box) doesn't have benefits or is even inappropriate in these scenarios , but it doesn't mean you understand scientific protocol such as presenting science with theory, application and presentation of results that can be reviewed by peers and others.

Funny, the last time a "high end" kinda science guy here threatened to spank me because he disagreed with me and would use science to, I told him it's all good Ill call some of the PHd's at the Cornell Cooperative and get them to do my talking for me.

Shut them right the fuck up in a hurry.

Its ok you want to talk to scientists ill give you the numbers to call. Almost every state has a university system with PHds accessible to assist especially in regards to agriculture or life science.

IF YOU NEED IT to get the same results good for you, really, but to judge those who don't

Now that touches on the other part of your post OP, that growing and smoking make many people paranoid, inflates their egos, makes them distrustful and polarized to others.

This is important because anyone like that, IMHE hasn't found the right "medicine" and are marginalizing their lives and the lives of others instead of making life complete through the use of the right medicine.

Most people simply find a means to and end, sell others pot, reach a degree of success and appreciation, egos inflate, and it becomes their sole value.

I found weeds that balanced my person a long time ago and live a richer life because of it (as do those I share it with). When the folks talking shit about science can tell me they did the same then and can tell us how science helped them, great. In the end it still doesn't negate the fact that others didn't need it to get the same result. It just illustrates the rift in their being(the fragile nature of their ego) to have to try to actualize their beliefs in others.

IMHO If you can't find psychological balance with weed you doing it wrong. It is no longer a healing medicine but a drug that has some benefit but also some detriment.

BudToaster

Veteran
great post.

the problem i have in wrapping my head around science is understanding when a new discovery/concept/approach changes from anecdotal to science. a lot of cover-their-ass gets in the way of pursuing new ideas.

and, further:

PhenoMenal said:
and their little cotton socks

ouch! i love my cotton socks ... i wear ONLY cotton ... but i'm an engineer so it's okay.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
tumblr_m7xil8oNsK1qkdrw1o1_500.jpg

no problem with science here.

however, scientism, can't tolerate it nor anyone espousing it.

Latest posts

Latest posts