What's new

Do people REALLY think growing marijuana is easy?

freeganja

Bush Doctor
Veteran
Growing is alot like playing guitar. Takes a little time to learn how to do it , and a lifetime to perfect it.

Cat Jockey

For those saying it is easy, keep in mind that people that hang out on this site are very motivated and geeky about it. I'm not saying it is hard, but look at the entire spectrum of smokers and how it would work, how many failed crops there would be , if everyone that smoked grew their own.

I personally have seen more than one person's grow in real life that looked like shit. Alot of people try and don't do so good at it. It might not make sense to you or me, but that is the way it is. It is not as easy for alot of people as for others.

Further, I am not speaking to anyone in particular in this thread, but not every grower, including those growing some good genes, have truly smoked the diggity dank and actually know what a true dialed in grow is.

Easy? Kinda. But it does take knowledge and you have to be open to receiving that knowledge and applying it. I do agree that anyone with a green thumb and ambition to learn can pull off a damn good grow their first time, especially in the last decade with the net, but that is not always the way it works.

You ought to see Colorado right know, every stoner with a closet thinks they are going to become a professional MJ farmer. There will be alot of failures and alot of people who gave grow stores alot of money, only to grow crappy weed that nobody wants.

Why? Because, apparently, it isn't as easy as many think.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
You ought to see Colorado right know, every stoner with a closet thinks they are going to become a professional MJ farmer. There will be alot of failures and alot of people who gave grow stores alot of money, only to grow crappy weed that nobody wants.

I hear you there, I have a few friends that grow, and every one of them truly believes how great their weed is. And how good of a grower they are. Its a bit annoying. I look at their pest problems or cola size... And think quietly to myself.. I thought you said you were good?.

I wish I could grow outside.. it would make things alot easier.

I hear you there, I have a few friends that grow, and every one of them truly believes how great their weed is. And how good of a grower they are. Its a bit annoying. I look at their pest problems or cola size... And think quietly to myself.. I thought you said you were good?.

There is an important lesson to be learned here ladies and gentleman and GGW couldn't have said it better.

H

HappyDog

Originally Posted by GrowerGoneWild.

Every environment has its ups and downs. Outdoor grow would be nice until you get 10 days of rain to ruin the prime colas. Of course not having to worry about a ballast fire in my home while my wife and I enjoy a night out would be nice to.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
I don't look at it as easy or hard, but a art you strive to perfect.

Ask a Artist if he thinks painting is easy.

For those that are passionate about growing, it is a constant struggle to do better. At least that is how it is for me.

H

HappyDog

True grace is making hard work look easy. God Bless all those who raise the bar and allow others to benefit from their struggle.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Originally Posted by GrowerGoneWild.

Every environment has its ups and downs. Outdoor grow would be nice until you get 10 days of rain to ruin the prime colas. Of course not having to worry about a ballast fire in my home while my wife and I enjoy a night out would be nice to.

Very true.. Mother nature can be a meanie...

I think it would be a nice change of pace from the bubble of the pumps and the unnatural glare of the lights to just concentrate on the plant, and simply tend to a plant in a more natural way. I dont have the luxury of enjoying the simplicity of using natures growlight. And using completely natural methods.

I do grow little patches of strawberries that I make and mark on my GPS, that I go and visit from time to time.. Its just very cool to watch them slowly spread :)

Those of you that can grow outside.. I'm jealous..

LOL.. I was at Napa valley not too long ago, and I was dreaming what if those were MJ bushes instead of grapes..

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I don't look at it as easy or hard, but a art you strive to perfect.

Ask a Artist if he thinks painting is easy.

For those that are passionate about growing, it is a constant struggle to do better. At least that is how it is for me.

Wise words..

I started out at as a dirt farmer, using miracle grow, with shoplights.

I have evolved.

Once upon a time, I too, was a noob grower.

For as long as I had been smoking, I always found great connects for weed so I never really gave it much of a thought of "where does this actually come from" until about 4 years into me being a smoker.

Before I attempted my first grow, (actually signing a lease, buying equipment, and paying for everything myself "grow") I watched other people who were cool enough to let me check out their operation and how it all comes together.

From Aeroponics, to fill and drain, I watched people stress about their P.H (I didn't even know what P.H was) and how they controlled their room temps, and I was a little intimidated but I attempted and overcame. At the cost of my first initial grow and all other bills paid, $10,000.

So by seeing it firsthand, it taught me much more than I could have ever learned by reading online. Online suggestions just perfected my technique but I still am open to suggestions to this day and still seek advice from those that are better than me. You can't close your mind off to this kind of business.

The people that think its all glamorous and try to attempt a commercial grow for their first time, or ESPECIALLY risk everything they have on a first time attempt to move to a new location and think they are automatically gonna make money by "growing" have a hard lesson coming to them.

And the people that DO grow, and think they are the shit, I see them all the time too. LOL. They harvest and now they are the King of the world. You can't talk any sense into these people, they are not trying to hear it anyway.

LOL

Cat Jockey

I have a few friends that grow, and every one of them truly believes how great their weed is. And how good of a grower they are. Its a bit annoying.

Bingo. Nail on the head. More annoying is their refusal to accept help.

Joe Hawkins

If you get the theory down alright there is no reason you shouldnt succeed first go, I did, so have many others.
Seems to be this formula on the internet playing out where noobs have to fail a few times before a successful harvest.
In saying all that though, no its not as easy to make a living off and you wont get rich with 2 lights

JimBeamKush

"Seems to be this formula on the internet playing out where noobs have to fail a few times before a successful harvest."

That is forumla of life Joe.
I am a very young, but VERY experinced electrcian, trust me, people don't think you are good at something unless you have been doing it forever.

Why on earth would I wanna be a old and gray but skilled electrcian when I can be a young and happy skilled electrcian?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
If you're a new person, and you're reading this thread, wondering, "Can I grow on a small personal scale and make it worth my while?", then you should know the answer is yes.

If you keep it simple, look for answers to questions on icmag forums, and devote the proper amount of time and attention and thought, it's not hard as it might look if you've never done it.

You can get everything you need without ever going to a hydroponics store, or spending a ton of dough. Go Read the Hempy bucket thread and the and CFL's threads, and it's pretty easy.

If you're going to try to do it commercial, or growing gourmet dank, I don't know, but I wouldn't want to do it large scale, or try to grow $200 beans until I had grown some plants successfully first.

Just like I wouldn't buy the most expensive fishing rig in the world before I ever caught a fish.

The name of this thread is Do People REALLY think growing marijuana is Easy?

The name of the thread isn't, Do People REALLY think growing sick dank marijuana is easy, or Do People REALLY think growing SIX ROOMS the first time I EVER grew is easy, now is it?

:pie:

OVERMAN

Alot of people i know make it extremely difficult for themselves. They will set up 3 lights, find the most complicated nute regiment on the internet and then slowly handwater coco pots and vacum out the evaporator trays after. Buy 80 dollar bulbs but not change them for a year. Then they will way overdo the pruning all while having spidermites they cant get rid of because they dont want to use "chemicals" Harvest comes and its less then .5 g per watt and popcorn. Although that is still alot of money for them. I think grows are all about the prep (like painting a house) Set up the plants, trellises, check the rez every few days(5minutes) lollipop; do this for 2-3 months then harvest. It should only be alot of labor in the beginning and end really.

Joe Hawkins

"Seems to be this formula on the internet playing out where noobs have to fail a few times before a successful harvest."

That is forumla of life Joe.
I am a very young, but VERY experinced electrcian, trust me, people don't think you are good at something unless you have been doing it forever.

Why on earth would I wanna be a old and gray but skilled electrcian when I can be a young and happy skilled electrcian?

haha its amazing what a copy of robert c clarkes book and reading up on how to mix ferts for tomatoes can do for a 14 year olds wallet! now we have the internet and a "1 gram per watt internet god syndrome" ;) haha nah its good and raises the bar, if you grow a plant and it yields buds you have succeeded, always room for improvement, which is 98% of the time genetic anyway.

Latest posts

Latest posts