What's new

do old farts still smoke old strains?

H

heavy dank nugg

I wanted to comment before I read this whole thread. I am a bit high right now and on a mini vacation in Florida and reading this was fun. I really like Motaco and some of the others in here. Redrider.. he was growing in Colombia and loving it to death, then one day says, "I have to leave the country". He never went into a lot of detail why, but said to me in PM is was kind of work related. Have not heard from or about him since.

Marijuana Memories. The stuff you smoked one hit of and didn't really know what it was, but it set you off. That kind of stuff. And, the places you were and the people you were with. Good weed is like Champange.

Watching what has happened to the MJ world in the 35 years since I started smoking it is a trip in it's own. Trying to find a weed that made me feel a certain way 35 years ago is probably as difficult at recreating the whole memory itself. I have to think that in my best weed experiences the people and the places that were involved are ever bit as important as the weed. Maybe that is just me.

I probably smoked every Sativa you ever heard of in the 70s, starting smoking the Skunk bud in the 80s, and now I feel like I am smoking a lesser weed most of the time. I do love what California has to offer and I always think California is where it has always been at in the weed world. The two go together hand and glove, in my mind at least. They are pretty good with the wines too, and there are some that I would match against anything Europe has to offer.

Keep searching brothers and sisters. Looking for the holy grail means you are still alive.

good post

I remember them good ol' days. We were about 500 miles from Humboldt, so that's where most of our skunk came from, but most of the time we smoked Columbian Gold, Acapulco Gold and this stuff called Red Bud...I think it was also Columbian. I remember my friend blew chunks one morning before school while listening to Whole Lotta Love after we smoked a bunch of red bud. That was some good shit. Smoked some Panama Red and Thai Stick wrapped around a stick with a thread. One time we had some Buddha Stick dipped in opium...4 hits and we felt like we were frying on acid for the next 4-6 hours.
I thought I saw a seed co. that was selling the original (or close to it) Columbian. I'll have to try and find that again. I see Sagarmatha Seeds sells Yumboldt...I wonder if that's anything like the original.
I also see that Sensi Seeds sells an Indica dominant Skunk #1 and Seedsman sells a Sativa dominant Skunk #1 also called "the Pure"...does anyone know which of these is closer to the original?

Almost forgot to mention some purple haired Sativa we used to get in South Lake Tahoe during the early 80's. This stuff actually had purple hairs...wish I could find that again.

Thanks

Purple Hair kush from 1983 I scored in Berkeley I have not seen since.

I smoked a boatload of Thai in the 80's but the last real Thai I smoked was in 1991 and it was a couple years old,I grew out the seeds from that sack ten years later and used the chocolate Thai male to cross with white widow in 2001.

Does anyone remember a strain called "GUMBY" I also smoked this in 1983 but could never get a sack of it. Gumby was truly one hit weed!

We used to get green bud at Christmas time from our Thai guy in SoCal.

It was called Christmas tree.and the buds looked like perfect little Christmas trees,bright green with deep red hairs, It was supposedly from Arizona.

Can't find any of these strains, let alone smokers who have heard of them .

Maybe my fellow oldsters remember or have a lead on any of these 3 strains.

cureious

Purple Hair kush from 1983 I scored in Berkeley I have not seen since.

I smoked a boatload of Thai in the 80's but the last real Thai I smoked was in 1991 and it was a couple years old,I grew out the seeds from that sack ten years later and used the chocolate Thai male to cross with white widow in 2001.

Does anyone remember a strain called "GUMBY" I also smoked this in 1983 but could never get a sack of it. Gumby was truly one hit weed!

We used to get green bud at Christmas time from our Thai guy in SoCal.

It was called Christmas tree.and the buds looked like perfect little Christmas trees,bright green with deep red hairs, It was supposedly from Arizona.

Can't find any of these strains, let alone smokers who have heard of them .

Maybe my fellow oldsters remember or have a lead on any of these 3 strains.

First off, Hello, I am a long time toker since 1978.

I had some weed called Christmas Tree 5 or 6 years ago, good strong weed with a taste and smell of Christmas trees.

H

hard rain

First off, Hello, I am a long time toker since 1978.

I had some weed called Christmas Tree 5 or 6 years ago, good strong weed with a taste and smell of Christmas trees.
Hello to you too. I wonder if you'll get a reply from 2009?

I am now growing thai stick sativa and Lao sativa in my wardrobe. Hopefully this old fart will soon be smoking old strains again.:laughing:

geeker

what I would like to find from my youth is some good 'ol creeper, takes ~20 and then pow! right in the lazy spot. but for the most part nobody seems to enjoy creeper weed anymore, its all about fast & hard. I miss the slow build from light buzz to hit in the face with a good bake.

oh creeper, how i miss you.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I'd give my left nut for a few true beans of the MSS I grew in the cornfields of central Ma. during the mid. 70's-early eighties.
I remember buying 30 dollar oz. bags of stringy colorful imported weed called Rainbow that crept up and ambushed you right between the eyes. Trippy. That would be nice too.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I would love some old school skunk that was around in the northeast way way way back .. got it in Vermont and mass....wouldn't mind some good haze too .. want to try tom hills stuff and find that 5 % plant...yeehaw..other than that I have moved on .. got tired of mexi after many years growing it ...

cureious

Hello to you too. I wonder if you'll get a reply from 2009?

I am now growing thai stick sativa and Lao sativa in my wardrobe. Hopefully this old fart will soon be smoking old strains again.:laughing:

HAHA I was so baked I did nto realize the post was tat old hahaha oh well

I too am hoping to have my favorite Panama Red to enjoy for many years, we'll see

cureious

what I would like to find from my youth is some good 'ol creeper, takes ~20 and then pow! right in the lazy spot. but for the most part nobody seems to enjoy creeper weed anymore, its all about fast & hard. I miss the slow build from light buzz to hit in the face with a good bake.

I remember weed like that. The great disappointment after smoking a whole joint with a friend or 2 and nothing happening. Then as we walked to the park to find good weed BOOM time to sit down and enjoy the smack in the face!

cureious

I'd give my left nut for a few true beans of the MSS I grew in the cornfields of central Ma. during the mid. 70's-early eighties.
I remember buying 30 dollar oz. bags of stringy colorful imported weed called Rainbow that crept up and ambushed you right between the eyes. Trippy. That would be nice too.

High Captain, Masshole here too....in '78 joints were 50 cents for cigarette sized joints, then by early to mid summer went to $1 a joint. 30 is what I paid for a half ounce of Panama Red where regular weed and regular Columbian was 20 a half, where a half =3 fingers for friends, 2 for customers :D

What does MSS stand for?

cureious

I remember weed like that. The great disappointment after smoking a whole joint with a friend or 2 and nothing happening. Then as we walked to the park to find good weed BOOM time to sit down and enjoy the smack in the face!

cureious

Now that you mentioned it, I remember having Rainbow once, pretty close to Columbian Gold high if I remember correctly

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
MSS=Mass Super Skunk or Ma. Road kill skunk. We all know what we are talking about when the Ma.Skunk of old is mentioned.
Yes , that Rainbow was a lot like a good Colombian Gold but I remember it being "cleaner" with nice colors and a better high.
Yep, I remember those 80-120 dollar quarter lbs of primo Sativas. Oh yeah.

BCNeil

I started smoking in the early 90s. Started growing my own personal 12 years ago, and growing a little more than that for the last 4-5. I seem to be more interested in what's new out there.

One of the greatest things about todays strains is how easy some are to harvest.
Just did a small 40oz Kirkwood OG summer grow. I clip the buds onto racks, then manicure after dried. Took me a total of about 8 hours by myself, by hand including clean up. I remember back in the day harvests half that size taking me and a buddy all weekend.

Equipment has come a long way too. I remember my first ballast I had to wire and assemble myself. Most of my old hoods had to be hand wired to the ballast. Replacing igniters. I hated doing that. I am no electrician or even handyman.

ozza

Veteran
So Mass Super Skunk was Road Kill in the US in the 70's and 80's? Even though Super skunk only came out in 1990?

Homegro

If I wasn't growing, I'd be feeling like I'm smoking the same shitty mex brickweed that's been around forever. Enjoying some Sweet Tooth #3 right now.

ctg

Veteran
nam black has been the closest to the creeper of old.. not overly flavorful but ten minutes after smoking a pinner you get the pow, tunnel vision effect.. a bitch to grow though.. 16 weeks or more of flower to fully express her goodness..
-ctg-

Latest posts

Latest posts