What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do Men Assume Women Can't Grow?

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
My grandmother was president of her home owners association for like 45 years.....no kidding. She lives in Ohio and I don't think I ever saw a weed in her yard! She is now 91 and still does her own yard work....except mowing. She has a 5 way apple tree. It is on its decline now.....but about 30 years ago, they grafted 5 different apple trees together. It was very cool and the first time I had seen something like that.

I bet she could grow an amazing marijuana plant!! :canabis:

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
my aunty mary (yes i still call her aunty lol :biglaugh: ),
was born in italy and moved to boston as a little girl. she was gardening with her family at an early age. i remember summers visiting her just playing for hours in her gardens. i was always amazed at what she was able to do with such a small piece of land.
there was a large rock outcropping on the edge of her yard that she made into terraced gardens and every square inch of her yard was meticulously cared for. she grew all her own vegetables and fruit that her climate would allow. a beautiful flower garden that, to this day, is still one of my fondest memories of those childhood visits.

there i go getting off on a nostalgic ramble when i swear there was a point to all this relating to our fine herb.
this is a funny story. it's been told time and time again among my family. you see, my mother had 6 siblings (granpa was an italian catholic :biggrin: ). 2 brothers and 4 sisters. all of them smoked weed.

well, my aunty mary was at the dump one day when she noticed a lovely plant as she would later refer to it when someone would be telling the very story i'm telling you now. she had no idea that what she had found was in fact cannabis. she just thought it was a "lovely plant" ~imagine her italian accent~ lol

so, aunty digs up this plant, takes it home, gives it a nice new pot of fresh soil and some tlc, and then place is it where? in the bay window facing the street in the front of her house... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

but the story doesnt end there, oh no. as a matter of fact the funniest part is yet to come.
one of my uncles on my moms side has always been in and out of trouble with the law. well, he had been staying with my aunt.

well, one day my aunts' daughter was visiting her and she saw the plant. (she smokes as well)

"MA!!!" she said, "what the hell are you doing growing this!?!?!?!"

"what?, it's a lovely plant. i found it at the dump." my aunt asked, sounding rather puzzled.

"ma, do you have any idea what this is?" asked her daughter.

"no, what is it?", she replied, now sounding somewhat concerned.

so, my aunts daughter told her what it was but while she was doing so who should pull up in front of the house? of course, a black and white patrol car, come to see my uncle.

i wish i could have been around to see how the rest all went down. the way the story has been told to me it sounded like something out of a sitcom. alot of stumbling around before that knock at the door.

in the end, my aunts daughter and my uncle ended up taking the plant and growing it out somewhere else. they harvested and smoked her and to this day they tell this story with a fond look in thier eyes. the good ole days.

so to answer the original thread question, no i definately dont think that women cant grow. everything i learned about general plant growing i learned in my youth from the women in my life.

now, everything canabis specific on the other hand, i taught myself. :wink:

G

well that's a wonderful story beans, got a chuckle outta me for sure! Makes me think of one of my college days adventures.

I was living alone in my student apartment...I dabbled with growing for fun...hell with all the seeds to be found in the weed back then, why not? Never cared much for my plants, just planted the seeds to watch them grow. Around Christmas time I had a nice little plant, about a foot tall or so, even put her in a wooden planter to "decorate" the house some. Had the bright idea of turning her into my own very personal and particular "Christmas tree". I put her in the living room and strung the poor bugger with twinkly lights and hung tiny little glass balls on her and was feelin' like da big cheese about my original custom Christmas weed.

Being in college away from home, I used to drive home every weekend to see my friends, 5 hours up and 5 back...and 55mph was NOT my style. Kept getting speeding tickets and kept "forgetting" to pay them. Living in a small college town in the deep south I learned quickly that the worst kinda cop is a southern cop in a town with a population of thousands of potentially hell-raising students. Well one day I heard a knock on the door, which opened into my living room...plant in full view but I didn't care...only people ever came by my house were my friends. Christmas weed twinkling away and I go to answer the door. Open up and find the most porcine enormous slobbering redneck of a cop standing on my doorstep....I thought I was going to faint, die, get busted at the very least. So this nasty element decides to strike up a chat standing there...I was turning 10 shades of green and praying the divine trilogy he'd do his business and get the f*ù#@<+ hell off of my doorstep, the whole time trying to obscure the plant from his view by getting in his line of sight, only he was 6ft tall and I'm 5'4" (LOL)...moral of the story is he asked me kindly to hand over my driver's license, wished me Merry Christmas and left...but to this day I get the shakes when I think about it ;)

flyingBIMBO

why there aren't more women growers online?

I think I can answer that question. I know of one grower locally who will not even associate with me (nothing personal) because of security risks. I am what they call here in this little city 'high profile' which means I am very open about all of my activities, even illegal, because I have cancer and see no reason to hide just because the 'powers and gatekeepers' won't give me a signature without me having to travel miles and miles when I am too sick to even go out.
Most women don't like the idea of going to jail.
Then there is the social stigma.
On top of all of this, online is like the wild wild west for women (cyber stalkers)
Most women like to be very quiet about things of this nature.
I could go on and on, but I think you get the general idea...........at least this is my own opinion, not necessarily correct

G

flyingBIMBO said:
why there aren't more women growers online?

I think I can answer that question. I know of one grower locally who will not even associate with me (nothing personal) because of security risks. I am what they call here in this little city 'high profile' which means I am very open about all of my activities, even illegal, because I have cancer and see no reason to hide just because the 'powers and gatekeepers' won't give me a signature without me having to travel miles and miles when I am too sick to even go out.
Most women don't like the idea of going to jail.
Then there is the social stigma.
On top of all of this, online is like the wild wild west for women (cyber stalkers)
Most women like to be very quiet about things of this nature.
I could go on and on, but I think you get the general idea...........at least this is my own opinion, not necessarily correct

no no, that is a very interesting perspective on this...
could it also be that if you are a woman and perhaps a parent? there is a HUGE risk to lose your child...
Oh and the Total Social Stigma!! I think also is a huge factor... Most of the women I know, and have known do NOT like people to know that they smoke (might even be guilty a lil' of that myself) and most (gosh don't get me for that one guys) men, that I have known really don't care if people know... SO, I think you may be on to something there.... Are women just more Low Key about cannbis in general?? I dunno....
And really Bimbo, I don't blame you one damn bit for being out and the open about it... I wish we all could be that way, but to some, I guess, it's all in What you have to lose..??

flyingBIMBO

Yes, if I had a child I would not be so open. I had to quit fostering because of taking up marijuanna use.
However, I do have lots to lose for myself personally. Let's see...freedom, loss of affordable housing FOREVER for examples. Things could be worse. I could be homeless.
I do risk this, but only for myself. I understand someone not wanting to lose their children.
The only thing I regret is not being allowed to see my granddaughter.

G

ya gotta calculate risk for sure...
(if the worse were to happen) being first offense Ever for anything!.. I don't think they would put me under the jail or even take my kid.. Probably probation... But that is one of the reason that I want to move to more marijuana friendly land, like No.CA or even Canada.. Aren't they pretty relaxed about it up there? I don't know, never been...
I am concerned of how we as parents will handle the explaining of cannabis to our child when the time comes.. which i have posted before about....
risk and loss -?-
calculate = hope you make good choices

why are you not allowed to see your granddaughter? Do you go to jail where you are at for growing?

flyingBIMBO

It is because I smoke weed for my cancer and I am very vocal about it. (never been to jail as an inmate, only in my old job lol)
As for relaxed, I haven't been arrested yet.

fiendish

my wife loves a challenge. always trying to out do me.. I have to buy her packs also.. She loves to trim the finished product though, will stay upall night doin it

G

I think women are better grower's than us guy's , they pay attention to the plant's more , they have obviously a better connection with plant's , since in my opinion God's greatest creations are , women & cannabis ...

peace :smoweed:

I am a guitar player. 99% of guitar players are women, even though there is no reason a women can't be just as good as her male counterpart. That's just the culture, and I dont like it either way. I lover women guitar players, AND growers. Never met one in real life. Doesn't make me sexist if someone with a non gender specific username post about either subject and I assume it's a guy. Sadly, it almost always is.

The only way to avoid that is to use a really girly typoe of Username, like "George Bush".

hahah

G

pseudochile said:
Doesn't make me sexist if someone with a non gender specific username post about either subject and I assume it's a guy. Sadly, it almost always is.

The only way to avoid that is to use a really girly typoe of Username, like "George Bush".
hahah

or to add a signature like mine :wink:

considering the ratio of males to ladies on an MJ Cultivation board, perhaps many wish to keep their gender somewhat non-specific. How many PM's would you want that asked "what color are your panties..."? Ha ha ha

IMHO it isnt about what gender one is... its about how "in touch" one is with the plants themselves. Maybe more guys need to get "in touch with their female" inner self. Hee hee hee *waves bye* Akiko

I've been referred to as M8, dude, man... I don't take it personal even though my name is "MsHerbalivation". I can honestly say that prior to my "drought season" I was a hardcore smoker. So much so, that I out vaped a room full of guys. They all dubbed me Queen Smokee because they had never seen a girl smoke so much. They all admitted that I was able to out smoke them and I was shocked. My husband was even intimidated to smoke with me. I decided to grow my own fruit for numerous reasons. The most important reason for me right now is that it gives me something enjoyable to do with my time. I'm a stay at home mom who needed something to do during the day. My plants are like my children. I look in on them, make sure they have everything they need, talk to them, I baby them.... I think it's just another way of expressing myself. I can only pray that the TLC I show them shows in the harvest. I think its realistic to think that there are more men who grow than women, because we just don't "seem" to be the type. I like it when someone compliments me on being a female grower. It makes me feel like I'm special. And we as women all know how we like being "special".
:smile: