What's new

Do buds gain much weight after 100% amber?

l33t

Veteran
sure...

If I chop with say 10% amber , after its dried and cured I will have more like 15-20% amber on the buds. The slower the drying I think the more will turn amber..

Heat will also play a role , if you dry and cure in a room with high temps you ll get more ambers.

blackone

Veteran
Actually I rarely use trics as a guide. I do check them in a microscope but in reality I decide to cut when the swelling of the calyxes, bud density and decline of white pistils tell me it's time.
My swt barely have any amber trichs when she's ready but other strains have a lot.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Your atttude is ridiculous too... Blasting other people for "being clueless about the plant they grow" and running your mouth about "supposedly experienced growers" being wrong.

Hey Bongjangles, you may have missed it, but not having had time to check your link, I already responded to another poster that I used a bit of hyperbole, or exaggeration, or whatever you want to call it when I posted 0%. The actual decrease in the amount of THC by letting all your trichs go amber is between 90-95%. That doesn't leave much!
I've done considerable research on this, and am confident in those numbers. The study you posted is interesting, and basically supports my assertion, ie, that after total amber or "senescence" as they call it, the amount of THC diminishes massively. I think it's important to note that that particular study is probably pretty old, as the herb they were testing was only 6% THC to start. I don't think any of us are smoking 6% THC herb. Most of the top strains are in the 20% range now, and more for some. So why is everyone looking for herb with high % THC, only to let it oxidise? Also, keep in mind that, if you do go all amber, the THC continues to diminish as time goes on. The remaining small amount of THC oxidises with time, and so, after awhile, you will be approaching 0%THC!
As far as my comments about "clueless growers", I was referring to the OP, who's initial question bugs me.
He's coming on a weed board where the overwhelming majority of folks are trying to grow the best weed they can, and you can see they take a lot of pride in their grows.
But he expresses contempt for his customers and doesn't give a crap about the quality of the herb.
So, yes, no respect for him, but no offense to anyone else, yourself included.

Here's a cool chart that shows just what what in cannabis:

The Active Ingredients Of Cannabis

Cannabis products include marijuana, hashish, and hashish oil.

THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) gets a user high, a larger THC content will produce a stronger high. Without THC you don't get high.

CBD (Cannabidiol) increases some of the effects of THC and decreases other effects of THC. High levels of THC and low levels of CBD contribute to a strong, clear headed, more energetic high.

Cannabis that has a high level of both THC and CBD will produce a strong head-stone that feels almost dreamlike. Cannabis that has low levels of THC and high levels of CBD produces more of a stoned feeling. The mind feels dull and the body feels tired.

CBN (Cannabinol) is produced as THC ages and breaks down, this process is known as oxidization. High levels of CBN tend to make the user feel messed up rather than high.

CBN levels can be kept to a minimum by storing cannabis products in a dark, cool, airtight environment. marijuana should be dry prior to storage, and may have to be dried again after being stored somewhere that is humid.

THCV (Tetrahydrocannabivarin) is found primarily in strains of African and Asian cannabis. THCV increases the speed and intensity of THC effects, but also causes the high to end sooner. Weed that smells strong (prior to smoking) might indicate a high level of THCV.

CBC (Cannabichromene) is probably not psychoactive in pure form but is thought to interact with THC to enhance the high.

CBL (Cannabicyclol) is a degradative product like CBN. Light converts CBC to CBL.

If you are a grower, you can experiment with different strains of cannabis to produce the various qualities you seek. A medical user looking for something with sleep inducing properties might want to produce a crop that has high levels of CBD.

Another user looking for a more energetic high will want to grow a strain that has high levels of THC and low levels of CBD. In general, Cannabis sativa has lower levels of CBD and higher levels of THC. Cannabis indica has higher amounts of CBD and lower amounts of THC than sativa.

By the way, in my research, I found that many growers like to pick for maximum potency at between 50% clear & 50% cloudy. They consider that maximum potency. Surprised me, as I usually go with mostly cloudy, and cut when I see a bit of amber to achieve ripeness throughout the whole plant.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I don't see why you guys are flaming him. The OP is not doing anything wrong and in fact, he IS thinking of the market instead of targeting the very very small number of connoisseurs who are willing to pay top dollar for bud just for taste/potency. Most people who drink beer will spend their entire lives drinking Supermarket beer because they don't give a shit about quality, and most smokers smoke mids. It's a huge market and any weed sells, seeds or not, let alone sinsemilla of even mediocre shit.

When pot is legalized, the majority of users will smoke mids, just like tobacco smokers and wine drinkers who don't spend a fortune on these products. Yes the OP can charge more for higher quality bud but then demand is reduced greatly. Here in NYC good shit is $25-30 for 0.7-0.8g and people do buy it, but you can sell more volume of mids and low-potency dank (pushing the genetics as far as they can go.)

They did a study on heroin addicts and found that the majority would buy a bigger bag knowing it was 50% strength versus a tiny bag of 100% pure heroin. It's ridiculous but humans are not rational beings. The market wins and I applaud the OP for giving customers what they want. It's people that grow commercially that help satisfy the demand for weed, and this growing demand is pushing legalization forward. Just don't grow shit that gives you a headache.

T

tokinafaty420

I don't see why you guys are flaming him. The OP is not doing anything wrong and in fact, he IS thinking of the market instead of targeting the very very small number of connoisseurs who are willing to pay top dollar for bud just for taste/potency. Most people who drink beer will spend their entire lives drinking Supermarket beer because they don't give a shit about quality, and most smokers smoke mids. It's a huge market and any weed sells, seeds or not, let alone sinsemilla of even mediocre shit.

When pot is legalized, the majority of users will smoke mids, just like tobacco smokers and wine drinkers who don't spend a fortune on these products. Yes the OP can charge more for higher quality bud but then demand is reduced greatly. Here in NYC good shit is $25-30 for 0.7-0.8g and people do buy it, but you can sell more volume of mids and low-potency dank (pushing the genetics as far as they can go.)

They did a study on heroin addicts and found that the majority would buy a bigger bag knowing it was 50% strength versus a tiny bag of 100% pure heroin. It's ridiculous but humans are not rational beings. The market wins and I applaud the OP for giving customers what they want. It's people that grow commercially that help satisfy the demand for weed, and this growing demand is pushing legalization forward. Just don't grow shit that gives you a headache.

You didn't read anything he said... he doesn't care what the people want. He wants to maximize his yield regardless of what people may think of the bud. He is under the impression they will buy anything he has to offer, therefore there is no consequences to sacrificing everything else for a few extra grams. Hes only interested in his bottom line. Sorta how mexican cartels don't give a fuck if the weed has mold, so they compress it and wrap it wet. People still buy that shit... but should it be condoned or even in your case appauled?

Messed up little community this place is turning into. Its no longer a hang out for people who have a passion for marijuana, but rather its a destination for people who are seeking out experienced growers to help them make a quick buck by turning out massive amounts of medoicre shit. It is a vicious circle we're in, people only accept that dirt weed b/c theres nothing else out there and the damn growers/dealers continue to push it b/c people are buying it. I know damn well when I take a spliff of some AAA quality buds over to people who have been smoking on "mids" their eyes light up and wish they had continuous access to stuff like that. Regardless of the price.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Light and heat degrade THC. Once a trichome turns amber it is a dying gland, and will lose potency every minute its next to those bright lights in that warm room. After two weeks it will be closer to hemp than the buds they used to be. They will also be more prone to bugs and nute problems due to the geriatric ages of the flowers. It is not a growing plant that will add weight, it is a dying plant that is rotting on the stalk.

in short, don't do it.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran

Nah, he's only hurting himself. The sack won't be any fatter, but will waste weeks of nutes and electricity, and further delay his next flower by that much. It will also be sub-par weed.

Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose. Start the next crop if you want more weed. It's all about total pounds produced per YEAR, not per harvest.

allouez

Everyone who is saying that there is more CBD as it turns amber... is there any actual evidence of this? I always hear people say this but I've only read evidence that THC degrades into CBN, not CBD.

Dimebagg

Im not going to read this whole thread as it seems its more talk about quality than the original inquiry,

But, has anyone touched on the fact that a new crop could be nearly halfway finished flowering in the "extra 3 weeks" the OP is wanting to keep growing through?

I think you'll have more luck sticking to the age old system. Chop em when they are supposed to be chopped, and get your new crop in the cycle. Thats why commercial growers want fast-flowering, high-yield strains; so that they can throw them in 12/12, have a nice harvest in less than 2 months, and get the next set of ladies in ASAP. Waiting around for a little extra weight wont amount to the time lost on a fresh crop.

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran

We dont agree about the O.P.....Which is neither here no there..lols :tiphat:

But I just had to comment on this last part.Although I dont doubt you did read a study that said this,because we all know there are a helluva lot of studys that arent right.What I disagree with is the content of what you told us about this so-called study.Although this study would be true for some drugs and marijuana might be at the top of that list..it isnt correct when it comes to heroin.In fact it is way off base.

Alot of heroin dealers will let drugs go out super strong so somebody will O.D...They do this on purpose beacuse it is like advertisement for them.It is a well known fact among heroin addicts,dealers,and alot of people who have dealing with these groups that they do this.They say when someone dies everybody will want their dope because it is seen as the strongest.Once everbody starts coming to them then they start throwing all the bullshit on the dope to cut it.

I just want to let you know im not trying to be a smart ass or anything.This is just incorrect thats all.

paulkemp

its capitalist society buddy and what you call ripping people off i call being smart. is arbys ripping people off when they say they have a roast beef sandwich on the $1 menu then you get it and its half the size of a slider? and to the other guy... i dont do a perpetual. i only have 1 room to grow so your argument about getting more harvest in over me isnt relevant in this discussion. Hopefully we can get some more opinions on the original question. which is: how much weight can you add if you leave your plants to grow 2-3 weeks after they reach 50/50 trichs.

i don't want weed that makes me feel like arbys does

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
look at what this guy did... hes been long gone after making his rediculous posts.. and left us all here fighting between ourselves. i doubt hes comin back and think all of us growers should just move on. nobody left in this thread would ever consider doin this.

yeah im so rediculous for exploring an idea that could make me more money. I never said i planned on doing this it was simply a question. you drama queens in here need to get laid or something and lighten up.

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
He is Back.Calling us "Drama Queens" and trying to talk to us about sex.

The Saga Continues............

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
It cracks me up how new growers are always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Listen Zack, if there was a way to make more money growing weed, don't you think we'd all be doing it?

If you want more money, grow huge yielding strains, as many crops per year as you can with as many lights as you can manage. There are no tricks or magic secrets we're withholding from you, do what everyone else does, and MAYBE you can eventually do it better than your peers. There are no shortcuts to be taken though, trust me on this.

B

blancorasta

yeah im so rediculous for exploring an idea that could make me more money. I never said i planned on doing this it was simply a question. you drama queens in here need to get laid or something and lighten up.

hey bro,
dont mind all the hoopla, lots of folks here like to knock someone for doing or thinking something differently, or not already knowing things they do. once it gets started it all rolls down hill but amidst the drama, name calling, and slander you have been getting quality help and answers to your question. take the criticism cronstructively and you'll be on your way to growing, more, higher quality cannabis, that in your circumstance should equal a larger college fund for your kids! :tiphat: \/ \/ \/

amber = less thc, not 0% thc.

but yes pick at like 25% amber and start your next run.

think about it those extra 3 weeks by 3 runs is 9 weeks. you could get another whole run harvested in the amount of time you traded off for a few extra grams of less potent and less flavorful buds

hope that helps,
peace

Light and heat degrade THC. Once a trichome turns amber it is a dying gland, and will lose potency every minute its next to those bright lights in that warm room. After two weeks it will be closer to hemp than the buds they used to be. They will also be more prone to bugs and nute problems due to the geriatric ages of the flowers. It is not a growing plant that will add weight, it is a dying plant that is rotting on the stalk.

in short, don't do it.

Nah, he's only hurting himself. The sack won't be any fatter, but will waste weeks of nutes and electricity, and further delay his next flower by that much. It will also be sub-par weed.

Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose. Start the next crop if you want more weed. It's all about total pounds produced per YEAR, not per harvest.

ppy= pounds per year. pick your buds at peak potentcy and you'll sell it faster, likely for more money and you'll be able to start your next run sooner and get your PPY up.

if you really want to stream line it, and really up ur ppy. go perpetual. convert a closet or small room in to a veg room keep your 1 mom, your cloning machine, your clones and plants in veg under 18/6 or 20/4. and have your bud room 12/12 in an assembly line process 2 weeks apart, and get 26 harvests a year. every two weeks move an odd # of fully vegged plants into the bud room. so in the bud room there will be plants that are two weeks in, four weeks in, six weeks in, and ready to harvest. you harvets the 8 week plants and move the same amount of plants into the bud room from veg. shit if you can find a 6 week indica, there will be only three steps in the bud room and you can harvest more or larger plants every TWO WEEKS! 26 HARVESTS A YEAR!!!!

i hope this helps, listen to what people are sayin though an you'll be better for it. everyone has their way of doing things and with the nature of how things are done there is no standard; so after someone has accomplished any kind of successful grow its, FUCK YOU if your tellin me im not doin it right and your better than me... so dont take it personally most people do it

again, i hope you do whats best for you, and your customers,
peace

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
You didn't read anything he said... he doesn't care what the people want. He wants to maximize his yield regardless of what people may think of the bud. He is under the impression they will buy anything he has to offer, therefore there is no consequences to sacrificing everything else for a few extra grams. Hes only interested in his bottom line. Sorta how mexican cartels don't give a fuck if the weed has mold, so they compress it and wrap it wet. People still buy that shit... but should it be condoned or even in your case appauled?

I agree with everything you said but I was under the impression that he will be selling to a market that likes whatever he's doing to the bud (more amber, etc.) 80% of your profit will come from 20% of your customers, and you can't build that loyal 20% ripping people off. If this is the case then the OP can fuck himself, but when I bought from street dealers, if they gave me low quality stuff, I didn't buy from them again, and my friends and I lumped that dealer into a group of dealer selling regs.