What's new

Do Amino Acids have a roll in organics?

C

CT Guy

CT Guy & Microbeman

Speaking of 'nice looking' -
th_NEW_System10_0808buy.jpg

I was 'this close' to buying one of these units until I spoke to some folks and then read the review on this model over at Soil Food Web.

They definitely look nice!

LOL

CC

They were on the Martha Stewart show and also appeared in a scene in the movie "Twilight."

It sure does look nice and pretty though!

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well I have to say I have a KIS brewer as everyone knows, and it gets the job done

^ I do admit some things look prettier then others, and I was having a discussion on how people think if something is cheap it's crap, thank all the advertising companies and the billionaires that like there fat stacks of cash next time your trying to sell a product for "cheap"

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
For the money, the KIS tea brewer is THE best value that you can find. It works and works well.

At $140.00 for their 5-gallon brewer you would have to spend 6x that amount to come close to a comparable product, IMHO

CC

maryjohn

Veteran
with all do respect, in the real world it's the martha stewarts that move product and disseminate new techniques, in every field of commerce (and to be fair, she had Niles from Frasier on her show once to introduce her audience to vermiculture). Rather than complain, why not study her? There should be a KIS Deluxe with an attractive outside to go with the utilitarian inside, with a high price to make sure the customer feels the product is valuable. That would mean more people brewing tea and showing their neighbors the wonders of the ACT treated yard. That would be good for the planet and for people. Just keep the "value" model going for the rest of us.

Crap in a nice package sells well. Quality in a nice package sells out.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
with all do respect, in the real world it's the martha stewarts that move product and disseminate new techniques, in every field of commerce (and to be fair, she had Niles from Frasier on her show once to introduce her audience to vermiculture). Rather than complain, why not study her? There should be a KIS Deluxe with an attractive outside to go with the utilitarian inside, with a high price to make sure the customer feels the product is valuable. That would mean more people brewing tea and showing their neighbors the wonders of the ACT treated yard. That would be good for the planet and for people. Just keep the "value" model going for the rest of us.

Just one correction. The KIS brewer is a pretty package, it is the Microbulator 50 (my brewer) which is ugly but efficient and proudly so. All the lazy dum North Americans who don't wish to see (know) how things work are the losers. How much air do you think that pretty Martha Stewart brewer blocks with that lid? I did not design my brewer for that crowd but if they open their eyes they are welcome to get one.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
with all do respect, in the real world it's the martha stewarts that move product and disseminate new techniques, in every field of commerce
I wanted to type the word 'delusional' but this statement is well beyond the conventional meaning of that term.

To say the least.

maryjohn

Veteran
you say I'm delusional (and in many cases you would be right), but what I see is just another type of snobbery. Is the point to stay pure or is the point to get as many people as possible to brew ACT and use it?

Personally, I like to see how things work, just like you guys. But when I got married I had to learn that being a pure just means being alone.

what I'm advocating is not the Martha Stewart brewer. I'm advocating adding good looks to the good brewers to find a wider audience. it's just like cooking or cars. presentation has a big effect on the consumer's experience, and can be an impediment to something becoming mainstream. Spoonful of sugar, and all that. that's reality, not a delusion.

Complaining about martha is a bit silly and i think reflexive. think about it - has she brought more people over to organic gardening than you? Sure, she doesn't always advocate the best method, but who can be right all the time? When I look at the bottom line, your criticism seems hollow. She's shown a million people how to make a worm bin. how many have you shown?

Think about it: every person brewing tea incorrectly is a better opportunity than a person completely ignorant of the practice. Engineers not understanding marketing or caring about it is an old cliché, but if you want a product to take off you must take heed. Don't fight human nature, work with it to accomplish your goal. In short, apply your gardening philosophy to the present quandary.

C

CT Guy

Maybe we'll make our next production line in pink! :laughing:

The problem with Soil Soup, Vermicrop, and Growing Solutions, is that they dumped all their money into advertising and marketing, rather than on testing. Also, when you hide the parts, you make them harder to clean. My concern is that they're pushing forward the paradigm with products that aren't going to get the optimal results.

I do agree with you though...I look at the brewer daily and have the same thoughts in regards to the appearance on it. Of course, our name is "Keep It Simple"

maryjohn

Veteran
CT guy, a KIS brewer in pink would actually get you some sales if it were put before the right eyes. Keep it simple. and pink.

my point is, the smart thing to do is not to let the marketing side take over, but to strike a good balance without compromising functionality.

C

CT Guy

I know....the problem is I have no background in marketing, and very little motivation (beyond financial) to really learn. But you're right. :)

maryjohn

Veteran
well, good motivation to team up with someone is the desire to spread the message. plus you could have an unadorned version partially subsidized by the flashy version so those with less cash to spare can get in on the action.

I think you really are on to something with the pink idea... just leave it like it is and make it pink.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't fight human nature, work with it to accomplish your goal. In short, apply your gardening philosophy to the present quandary

If you are describing this 'human nature' as a quandary then you have a point. If you believe this to be true human nature then you need to look outside of America. IMO, I have a lesson to bring to bring to North America and it may go no further than a few people but I do not intend to polute it with the very isolationist, lofty attitude which has destroyed the environment and wiped out (almost) an entire race of people. We had the Martha Stewart type people walking past our display of live microbes on the TV screen at the trade show. The usual response was 'ewww gross'

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I seriously doubt if the Martha Stewart-types in America are all that interested/curious in anything that their hired workers apply to their lawn and flowers. I'm having a hard time picturing this crowd of bored cougars slurping up drinks at their husband's club in the afternoon before rushing home to make sure that Maria got the kids fed and dinner is ready for the dim-witted man-of-the-house to arrive home to eat and settle in for an exciting evening of 'soon to be frigid' spending too much time pondering the levels of microbes under the azaleas.

The variances in the 'look' of this compost tea brewer vs. another isn't even on their radar. Being bored, mindless and stupid takes up a considerable amount of time.

Pink compost tea brewers? How about a manly camouflage version? Or a throw-back to the 1980's with a Miami Vice version in pink & turquoise? No earth tones needed or wanted.

I remember Martha Stewart's comments about the 1992 riots in Los Angeles: "Could someone please drive me to the revolution? My BMW is in the shop!"

CC

maryjohn

Veteran
Pink compost tea brewers? How about a manly camouflage version? Or a throw-back to the 1980's with a Miami Vice version in pink & turquoise? No earth tones needed or wanted.

CC

Also ideas to consider, but I think the "man" version should emphasize more power and somehow remind us of a phallus. and it should have something like "gx" or "st" or "x-5" in the name.

I think I've made my point, that if you want someone to look you have to catch their attention and reinforce their self-image. Seems to me the counter-point is we don't like people with different values and we won't compromise for them. Which is understandable, but not productive in so far as it does not further the goal of disseminating this technology.

In order to be subversive, you have to make your target feel like they are being served, not the other way around. Sneak in to their lives and incrementally infect their thinking. The trick is to take small steps and always make them feel they are in their element, not yours.

My mom, by the way, is more along the lines of a typical martha stewart consumer. She has gone from using chemicals all over the yard to using very little and trying to stay organic. Much of that had to do with Martha pushing organic gardening as the more socially acceptable option. Really I had to rethink my completely uninformed judgement of Martha after seeing a clip of her introducing al those "cougars" to worm bins. Don't write either of them off. Everyone is valuable.

C

CT Guy

well, good motivation to team up with someone is the desire to spread the message. plus you could have an unadorned version partially subsidized by the flashy version so those with less cash to spare can get in on the action.

I think you really are on to something with the pink idea... just leave it like it is and make it pink.

Why don't we just make it the breast cancer model have it be pink with a little ribbon and donate some profits to the charity? :)

You guys crack me up!

OperationIvy

I accidentally purchased this product to use as a supplement to my organic soil grow. I meant, and have since corrected, to buy the organic grow and bloom from Humboldt Nutrients. Below is the information listed about the product in question:

Master A
4-0-3

Humboldt Nutrients Master A&B is a premium two-part fertilizer program designed for all plants made with non-toxic, high quality ingredients.

Humboldt Nutrients has formulated this vigorous 2-part nutrient solution for use on any plant, in any growing medium and contains no EDTA’s.

The Humboldt Nutrients team of chemists and agronomists emphasize balance and consistency with all our formulas. Master A&B is formulated to provide your favorite plants with higher absorption of nutrients, vitamins, minerals and trace elements.

The Master A&B series stands apart from your standard base nutrient line by making macro and micro nutrients more available to your plant.

Used in conjunction with Humboldt Nutrients powerful additives we assure that your yields and quality will increase so dramatically, that your friends will call you simply, “The Master.”

DIRECTIONS:
Use 1:1 Ratio with Master A&B as a two-part Base Bloom Nutrient. Adjust PPM higher in later stages of the bloom cycle to desired strength.

DERIVED FROM:

Derived From: Ammonium Nitrate, Potassium Nitrate, Calcium Nitrate, , Sodium Molybdate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Borate, Iron, Zinc, Manganese, Boron and Molybendum.

MY QUESTION is should i leave the Master A and B on the shelf or can I still use a little bit of it along with my other nutrients as a booster. My concern is that the ingredients in the MASTER line could cause harm to the micro-biology that I will be developing in my soil. THANKS!

maryjohn

Veteran
CAn't help you in the short term, but for your next round, there are cheAper better and easier ways to grow. Generally if mutes are marketed to mj growers stay away.

See the stickies.