What's new

DIY Vertical Cooler System

G

Ok, sorry everyone. I've got everything just about. Going out and getting the rest. So, by this afternoon. I should have some updates with some nice pictures, so stay tuned. Oh, and by the way. Found a new pump at the same store on sale today for 32 bucks. WOW. Stay tune and this afternoon will be some more info. Thanks for everyone that has been following my thread and all the support.
Take care,
BG

G

Ok, finely got things going again. Here's the new updated pump i switched to. Picked it up on sale at Harbor Freight for $32.00 bucks out the door.

1/2HP CLEAR WATER PUMP WITH FLOAT

Perfect for draining, floods, cellars, pond kits, pools and pool covers.

* ABS housing prevents rust

120V, 400 Watts; Flow rate: 1855 GPH; Maximum submersion depth: 26.6 ft.; Minimum water level 2.5"; Discharge size: 1-1/2"; Supplied fittings: 1" and 1-1/2"; UL Listed
ITEM 94648

I'm in the middle of uploading pictures, so stay tune for more.
Later,
BG

G

Ok, since we got a new pump. Now we got new problems. Nothing major, just have to reduce the elbow size coming out of the pump down to the 1/2" we need. Well, of course the fittings i need are out of stock at home depot, so i had to jimmy rig something. Here's what i'm going to use for now and then later on. I'll buy the 1 1/2" reducer 1/2" fitting when it's back instock. The threads coming out of the pump are 1 1/2" and the barbed fittings i've been using at 1/2" Here are some pictures of what's going on.
Take care,
BG

G

Well, I added another 8 sites for a total of 20 grow site's per this unit. I don't think i'm going to add another top row. They are getting top heavy and unless i add a stronger base ontop of the cooler lid. I think there might be a problem. I'll talk more tomorrow. IC has been acting up and i'll post more sometime tomorrow. Thanks for those following the thread.
Take care,
BG

KingRalph

great work señor! come so far with the idea it's nice to see it have taken form already, i've been slackin bad since the inception, but finally got drillin n testin. luckily i found a stash of those coolers at a store, the site says out of stock! but yeah goin with the cube here, had thought about doing an octagon of the smaller coolers with 3 columns with 1kws, but not enough space, so cube with 600s it is! i can fit 5 columns tightly so i'm goin for it, to the max :) a great surprise about the cooler was it's threaded drain plug... as i'm going with an external reservoir also (impossible to get into the cooler res once it's full) so that makes it so easy to not have to plumb the cooler. i'm also having the pump split to 1/4" feedlines to the top end caps and just rely on the recirculatin waterfall effect like waterfarms, much easier than individual feeder lines i think, much easier for a pump too so smaller pumps can be used. well i'm psyched, gonna try an finish this in the next couple weeks, it's actually rather simple once gotten crackin... just gonna take a while to saw those wye connector pieces! but hey, anything beats a $4000 retail price eh. well cheers bud, thanks for takin the initiative with this, ya've helped me refine the initial idea from one of those late chat eureka moments to an exact model thanks to your experimentation. well there's only one place for us to go from here, onward an UPward! :abduct: race ya to the finish! ;)

D

DJ_highst_

Looks great GDW and KIng Ralph

Hope all is well with you GDW, I know you said a while back you were going through a lot of stuff. I hope things are working out for you. Keep tincuring with your project to keep your mind right. peace_highst

G

Morning King Ralph and DJ highst,

Sorry everyone, it's been crazy as hell around here. Haven't had much time to work on the unit and get it tested and finished up. Plus, for some reason. My PVC glue has gone AWOL. Have to pickup another bottle. Anyways, this weekend the unit will be up and running and god willing. This will be the right pump for my setup.

King, glad to see you got your unit going. Very nice and your right about save or spending 4000 on a store bought. WOW. I think i'm going to make more changes to mine sometime later. Hopefully after work slows down some. The cooler idea is good. If your going to stay low, but i'm wanting to go alittle bit higher. Use almost the full height in a standard room. Roughly the 7-8 feet height, but will see. Glad to see you made your own changes to the idea. That's all i wanted to do here. I got the idea from some other members. Made my unit with my own changes and then other members do the same. Glad to see you found something to work for you. The drain on the bottom of the cooler is a plus. I think, i'm going to make another wooden stand for this larger unit and cut out the cooler. Just to damn hard to change out Rez with a full load. Plus, the lid can't handle the weight for the height i want to go. I also want to place a rubbermaid rez tank below each unit so i can run different strains per each unit. Makes life so much easier to keep PPM and PH just right. Going to also place the wooden table on wheels. This will allow me to move it around the room. If i need to clean or there is a problem with tops falling over. Any ways, just wanted to pop in and say thanks and killer unit you got there. Geat job King. Can't wait to see it loaded.
Take care all,
BG

G

More to come. Just been super busy with work and the family. Really haven't had time to get back to the project. Plus, i keep the unit at another location. Don't keep it at my home. Don't want any problems with anyone thinking anything funny. I'll make sure to get some updated pictures and results this weekend. I have been working on a new stand to replace the cooler for those wanting to go alittle bit higher with the tubes. I'll get some pictures this weekend and test that new pump.
Take care all,
BG

G

T.doT.Toker said:
Hows it coming??

Hey TTT,

Sorry, i've been so busy with work and the family. I really haven't had time to get back to working on this project. I'll try to find time soon and finish it up. The only thing i'm needing to do. It make sure this newest pump is going to work for the amount of grow site's i'm using and also build a unit. That is a large wooden table to replace the cooler. I've got a different idea to use a wooden table like the small unit i've already built. It will make using four unit allot easier to change rez tanks and also harvest when it's time. I'll try to get back on this project soon, but i've got some other family things to get taken care of first. I'm really sorry, but I do promise to get back on this project and finish it up for everyone. I'm also going to do a thread on this unit and the total of four of them that i'm going to us to grow about 96 plants. I'll make sure to link it here. That will be in Dec.
Take care all,
BG

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hey there man...sorry to hear you been sick but glad ur ok mate.
Once i work out a sopace to put it...ill be building the vert diy ive got i mon...a modul;ar thing similar to you, wth 4 sides on seperate reservoirs if required so that different strains or harvest one side every 2 weeks or so would work, ill make sure to let you know when i do the thread-eventually....
Be lucky mate

G

Morning Harry,

I've been feeling better. Just working myself to death. I really don't have the time right now to finish up the project, but will try to make some time. Allot has been going on here. Been trying to line up as much as possible. Me moving out of here in Nov. Also, work is taking on new projects and they know i'm leaving but don't give a flying fuck. They have the idea. Let's work this fucker as much as possible before he leaves. Glad to hear you got something going. I'm planning on the same setup. Four units in total. Running a harvest, roughly every two weeks. Each unit with its own rez tank, so i can grow different strains per a unit. A different strain per each unit. Then i won't have those nasty PPM and PH problems with trying to make each strain happy. Let me know when you do a thread. Would love to see your unit. I'll try to finish up mine soon as possible. Once i got the unit to where i like her. I'm going to clean up tis thread and put all the info together. Well you take care and thanks for dropping by.
Later,
BG

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
GDdub
howzit brother.? I have to say i missed this but, Kralph and i were in chat and he the cage came up and BAM!!!! he links me to this thread read all 15 pages.. wow as soon as we move and settle in. This is project numero uno.. Ohh what do you think about this unit outside... Using block ice to keep temps cool in summer and ice will last its a cooler..
the sun and this cage = most huge fookn colas we have seen... anyhow ill bbl great thread brother.. peace..

sack

KingRalph

weeee havin fun for ya while ya endure through the workin. it'll be worth it man, just a lil longer, be strong man!

those are 4" pieces so there's more space than there looks, but i still might downscale the others to only 4 columns to make for more space, haven't decided yet. things are gonna be crowded no matter what lol :p

well i'll drop in again soon, take care bG i'll :joint: one for ya

G

Sackoweed: Nice to see you and thanks. I think one of these units outside should do well. I think you might want to watch out for a height issue with plants. Since they will be under the sun. They are going to want to go crazy and might get top heavy. I think the ice in the cool will help out, but are you willing to spend the money one ice cost verses the amount harvested? Its a good idea, but I think this unit is best used inside, but please. Prove me wrong. I'm open to anything.
Thanks

KingRalph: Glad to see you as well. Glad to see your unit is together. Are you running into the problem of a weak bass at the lower part of the tubes? The tubes going through the lid? Thanks for sharing your picture with us. Glad to see all is working out for you.
Thanks

As for me. I still don't have enough time to head over and work on my unit. Been working way to much, but i will finish up the unit and get her all tested. Just so much going on right now.
Take care,
BG

G

GoldDust... Love yer avatar!

Listen I just thought of somthing today that would/could modify this IF it's even needed.

I imagine that the tall tubes may be a little wobbly, so here's an idea.

Glue a cap to the floor of the res. just under each tube and connect with more tube. This would give more stability........ FUCK!

I guess, if you DID that you wouldnt be able to open the lid. LOL :bat:
:fsu:
Oh well. Maybe the thought will spawn other ideas... Fuck...

Edit: Just to finish the thought. You would needd to cut a chunk out of the side of the tube leaving enough to enter the cap... I thnk that you could still make it work, if stability is even a problem... :woohoo: youre a smart goat.

Last edited:

DrawoH

hey BG,, how you been my br0 ,,, getting back to what sack was asking " what do you think about this unit outside" I'd like to offer my opinion with a bit of vert system knowledge.... the cage is a round unit that holds 12 tubes X 6 sites each = 72 plants.. it sits in a 4' footprint... the cube is 4 x (6 tubes x 6 sites) = 144 sites and its in about a 6' - 7 1/2' footprint... each side of the cube has (6 tubes x 6 sites)= 36 plants,, this (6 tubes x 6 sites)= 36 plants unit is called the window garden and uses sun to grow when placed in a large housewindow....

if the cage was used outside,,, i would rotate the tubes 180deg so the plants would face outwards..... A diy cooler type unit it actually a window garden...so it will work good in both outdoors and indoors via a large window using the sun or placed in a cube set up with HID's in the middle...

Peace,
DrawoH

G

Hey DrawoH,

Thanks for stopping by. Glad to see your helping out also. You sure know plenty about vertical gardening. Thanks for a helping hand. Hope all is going well with you grow. You take care and pm me anytime.
Take care,
BG

PS, I know i've said this many times and it's getting alittle old. Allot has been going on and some major issues, but i will be back to this thread the weekend of this month 26,27. Got a large table and everything lined up for a update. Everyone should be very happy. Also got some MOD's to a water fall change. Someone was telling me about the idea and i thought i would give it a whirl. There will be updates and then everyone should have a good idea how to build one of these units or something like it.
Thanks,
BG

Latest posts

Latest posts