What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

beta

Veteran
eliteXelite's instructions say to spray once on the day of flip. They even capitalize ONCE to emphasize it.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Each time I've tried I've ended up with 1000s of male flowers all over the buds but none ever open up or have anything inside. I even tried collecting a bunch and grinding them up but there was nothing viable in there.
This is a sign of too little ethylene production. Any pollen you do find would likely be sterile anyway. With that same product you might try a couple clones at once, spraying one at 2 weeks before flower, and one at one week before flower.

If it "Is" STS, the additional time should allow the plant to begin producing small amounts of ethylene again during pollen production. Best case scenario is you see a few pistils here and there begin forming alongside the male pods. This is a great indication the pollen will be viable and healthy. :)

It's all about the ethylene. :) With large amounts the flowers are female. With small amounts the flowers are male and drop pollen. With almost none the pods and pollen have issues forming properly.

Other options I might personally consider would be diluting the product or making my own STS. Either way I wish you the best of success in your projects. :D

NEED 4 SEED

I don't know where I have read this, maybe here somewhere but has anyone ever tried to force the buds that are unwilling to open to elongate by spraying a solution of gibberellic acid? The theory behind this is, that the buds in some phenotypes don't open because they are so cramped into each other and gibberellic acid could change that kind of growth into something more loose.
I tried it but couldn't see any difference in growth. Could be my solution was too weak. I will try a second time this year but would be glad if someone else has some further knowledge.

LostTribe

Premium user
This is a sign of too little ethylene production. Any pollen you do find would likely be sterile anyway. With that same product you might try a couple clones at once, spraying one at 2 weeks before flower, and one at one week before flower.

If it "Is" STS, the additional time should allow the plant to begin producing small amounts of ethylene again during pollen production. Best case scenario is you see a few pistils here and there begin forming alongside the male pods. This is a great indication the pollen will be viable and healthy. :)

It's all about the ethylene. :) With large amounts the flowers are female. With small amounts the flowers are male and drop pollen. With almost none the pods and pollen have issues forming properly.

Other options I might personally consider would be diluting the product or making my own STS. Either way I wish you the best of success in your projects. :D
DC does the ethylene production stop due to spraying? Meaning sometimes it may be necessary to spray earlier or wait a few weeks longer for pollen production?

I recall first time with the C99 that I was spraying too much and had to stop for them to finally drop. They were massive male stamen production from multiple sprayings. After 2 weeks of no spraying they finally produced pollen.

A good friend gave me a snip of old sour I want to try and reverse to back up for personal keeping. I have read it is hard to reverse but not tried it myself.

Douglas.Curtis

Ethylene production by the plant requires copper being present. The silver binds copper, making it unavailable to the plant.

When the pods will not open it means too much of the copper is being locked out.

Over time the fresh influx of copper from the root system will bind all the available silver, and then proper pods will begin forming again. Unfortunately many males are nearly dead by this time.

NEED 4 SEED

Ethylene production by the plant requires copper being present. The silver binds copper, making it unavailable to the plant.

When the pods will not open it means too much of the copper is being locked out.

Over time the fresh influx of copper from the root system will bind all the available silver, and then proper pods will begin forming again. Unfortunately many males are nearly dead by this time.
Do you think it's advisable to use copper as a supplement at a certain point?

awwc

There is one part I feel like gets forgotten. When you get your plants to drop the reversed pollen, do not inhale it! It can be quite easy to inhale pollen when working with it, I do actually advice to wear a mask when working with reversed pollen because of the traces of the spray, which, the spray is definitely (mildly) toxic.

Stay safe everyone!

Douglas.Curtis

You'd have to inhale quite a bit of pollen to come anywhere close to a mildly toxic dose, but for those who deal with that kind of volume the warning is likely useful. ;)

HalfArsedFarmer

God bless the Postal service....Now like a kid at Christmas I can see my toys but have to wait.

IMG_20230221_165517_HDR.jpg

NEED 4 SEED

Hi N4S. The supplier has given the formula with the package designed on a 300ml bottle of 0.18g of STP with 0.030 of Ag-n.
Or I can mix it at once to make 15,000ml In one go.
You mean 15 Liters? Of course you can prepare such an amount of sts, but for what? I don't know if I am getting it right, you want to mix the salts and the water in one go? No, that is wrong...Please search for the recipe, its in the very first post of this thread.

midwestkid

Veteran
I've followed this thread, recipe and application rates and had several successful reversals.
I believe my mix came out 1:8 based on the bottle size I used.
I spray 1 time while in veg under 24 hours light schedule. Wait one week spray and flip. Wait one week spray again. And that's all.
Gotta have your reversed girl about 3 or 4 weeks ahead of your target girls.

HalfArsedFarmer

You mean 15 Liters? Of course you can prepare such an amount of sts, but for what? I don't know if I am getting it right, you want to mix the salts and the water in one go? No, that is wrong...Please search for the recipe, its in the very first post of this thread.
Thanks for you concern N4S, I was merely sharing what I was instructed to by the seller. You can guarantee I'll be following the formula as laid out by DC.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I sprayed these every 5 days for the past 30 days or so. This was the instructions that came with the STS. I did not mix my own.

The first pic is an Amnesia Haze and the second is Original Trainwreck.

The Haze has had those sacs for almost a week and nothing has opened yet. From reading the past few posts, I am not going to spray any more and let the ethylene build back up.

The Trainwreck is not turning very well so I may put the last few drops of STS that are in the bottle on that bud.

I started late on these (they are autos) and it's my first attempt so it's more a learning experiment than a real need for the pollen. If this works, I have some nice Afghan I want to seed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 68