What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

brickweeder

I'd like to report that the lowers I have been spraying are all turning mostly male for absolute certainty...

Thumbs up.

...DC will the rest of the plant still be smokeable?

Given that silver is probably mobile, and that weed is cheap for growers, probably best to pass on sprayed weed. But if you do smoke it, I doubt it will have any harmful effects, but you may notice a bluish tint to your complexion...

Fitzera

Thumbs up.

Given that silver is probably mobile, and that weed is cheap for growers, probably best to pass on sprayed weed. But if you do smoke it, I doubt it will have any harmful effects, but you may notice a bluish tint to your complexion...

Is it actually mobile though? If it was, wouldnt the whole plant be affected from sts or cs when you only apply to selected areas?
Spraying, I would be hesitant to consume other buds due to overspray. But if you only hit selectively I think the other buds would be ok to consume.
Just assuming here though

Fitzera

This may be the answer and makes me glad I wasnt going to hit any plants I intended on consuming.

Screenshot_20200219-095848_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ps here is the rest of that section of the paper, I'm adding it as it may he useful information to add to this thread.

Screenshot_20200219-100353_Samsung Internet.jpg

If anyone has a hard time reading them and want to, let me know and I'll do better

Paper can be found here

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I have no idea on the toxicity or not of the plant, regardless of area of application. I'd suggest not, until research proves it's ok. Yeah? :)

brickweeder

Is it actually mobile though? If it was, wouldnt the whole plant be affected from sts or cs when you only apply to selected areas?...

Honestly, I don't know. But the prudent thing to do is assume that it is mobile and don't smoke any part of of a sprayed plant, even the unsprayed parts. That's why I said "given that silver is probably mobile"

Just because a particular section or branch of a plant doesn't reverse is not reason to conclude that there is no silver in that branch...it just means ethylene wasn't suppressed enough to produce male flowers.

On the one hand, silver is used as an antibacterial agent, even used to help cure leprosy. It's sulfur compounds are used on all sorts of burns to control infection. On the other hand, when you fume glass with silver, you have to have a good ventilation system to draw the fumes away from you. Maybe its OK to breath in silver fumes via fuming techniques of smoking silver-treated weed, but no way am I doing it if I don't have to.

hellfire

I wouldn't try to judge sts toxicity based on silver. It is a different chemical, sts, with different properties and the thiosulfate attached. That being said I wouldn't want to smoke a thiosulfate group or straight silver either. Best to just dispose of the reversals when done.

Now that I think about I'm fairly certain I inhaled CS'd weed back in the past..
D'oh

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Is it actually mobile though? If it was, wouldnt the whole plant be affected from sts or cs when you only apply to selected areas?
Spraying, I would be hesitant to consume other buds due to overspray. But if you only hit selectively I think the other buds would be ok to consume.
Just assuming here though
I think the selective inoculation was more in line with self-pollinating the female, doing it all in the same run. Regardless, I was taught, if it sees CS or STS, the plant is not comestible.

LostTribe

Premium user
I was just wondering about smoking it I have plenty so I if I get seeds going I will just giver er the chop quick dry and remove all seed.

They look to be going full on only at the lowers though plenty of pistils shooting out now! Cant wait just have to make sure I don't overdo it.

Fitzera

So...

I premixed my A and B solutions a little while back. Stored in eye dropper jars, wrapped in thick black tape in the fridge.

Today I mixed up the sts solution, but I noticed precipitates when I pulled the eye dropper from the A solution. What have I done wrong? I used ro water in place of distilled...could my ro filters need replacing? I dont have a reliable tds meter to check it. But is that the most likely cause?

Is it possible it will still work or should I revisit the recipe and start over?

I still mixed some up and diluted with ro water, and have applied that to the clones today.

brickweeder

So...I premixed my A and B solutions a little while back. Stored in eye dropper jars, wrapped in thick black tape in the fridge. Today I mixed up the sts solution, but I noticed precipitates when I pulled the eye dropper from the A solution. What have I done wrong? I used ro water in place of distilled...could my ro filters need replacing? ...Is it possible it will still work or should I revisit the recipe and start over?

I've gotten the black precipitate from the mixed solution (A+B), but with some dilution and a nice shake, it went back into solution, and was still effective. I haven't seen the precipitate in just the A solution though.

Maybe if that happens again, add distilled water to the A solution to double its volume and shake to see if it goes back into solution. If so, then add double of A to a single B to maintain your silver to TS molar ratio and dilute accordingly, keeping in mind the mixed solution would be diluted already from the extra water added to A.

Also, instead of replacing your RO filters, maybe pick up a $1 jug of distilled water for future STS use rather than using RO, which might have some residuals that react with the silver.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
So...

I premixed my A and B solutions a little while back. Stored in eye dropper jars, wrapped in thick black tape in the fridge.

Today I mixed up the sts solution, but I noticed precipitates when I pulled the eye dropper from the A solution. What have I done wrong? I used ro water in place of distilled...could my ro filters need replacing? I dont have a reliable tds meter to check it. But is that the most likely cause?

Is it possible it will still work or should I revisit the recipe and start over?

I still mixed some up and diluted with ro water, and have applied that to the clones today.
If the silver nitrate doesn't mix clear, it's probably because of minerals in the water. I'm just guessing though. Mine is always cloudy but like Brickweeder said, a good shake and you're good to go.

Fitzera

When I mixed it up originally, it was fully dissolved but of course having it sealed and put away I dont know when it started to precipitate.

I looked for distilled water at the grocery store and they didnt have any. Only spring water, though I have gotten distilled there in the past. Laziness is why I used ro instead of trying a different store.

After I mixed the sts solution and diluted it, I didnt notice any more black spots when I applied it. It did appear cloudy...so fingers crossed, all is well.

I used just a fraction of the chemicals I was gifted, only mixed up 25ml of solution A and 30 ml of solution B. From that, because I'm applying it with an eye dropper and dont need many drops, I only mixed up what became 75 drops worth (3 drops A, 12 drops B and 60 drops RO water with a dash of dawn soap). Went with the 1:4 ratio for my first attempt.

Thanks for the quick response guys! Really appreciate it

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Love the details and experiences with old solutions. Good luck Fitzera, sounds like you've modified things nicely for yourself. :)

teide

Veteran
Seal the mixed pollen in small containers, foil or plastic sealed pouches or (preferred) 1.5ml centrifuge tubes.

LABEL your containers carefully, using the specific plant name, date and any other information you believe you'll remember later. (Because there's a good chance you won't)

Seal the containers in a thermos and keep it in your freezer. The thermos acts as an additional thermal protection barrier, just in case you have a freezer issue years down the line. It also makes transferring pollen from one place to another a safe operation. Just be sure to keep the thermos at freezing temps, and to limit the amount of time outside the freezer

some great advice here, Douglas.Curtis!

farm3r

Anyone knows when are these balls suppose to be opening? I started seeing balls about 3 weeks ago and it seems like these balls are having a hard time opening up in order to release pollens. However, as of today, as seen in the pic, I can see bananas starting to protrude.

BTW, I sprayed 3 times with the schedule of: at flip, 5 days later, and then another at 5 days.

attachment.php

The pistils on the flowers are starting to turn brown. I was hoping that the pollen would be released before all the pistils turn brown so I could pollinate the same plant.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20200304_204719.jpg
    20200304_204719.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200304_204927.jpg
    20200304_204927.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Latest posts