What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
It's really uncharted terrain I belief.

A few ml's a gallon a soil sounds very little, but on the other hand as I observed in my current first experiments and you already know/experienced very well, it requires only a very little amount of apical applied STS on the correct moment to 'reverse' a female plant.
(I'll do a report about my other 'Single drop STS' experiment in a few days to a couple of weeks when the first F>M flowers dehiscence their pollen.)

So, for my input to your question: :dunno:

PS: I really wasn't kidding about using up to a liter to a gallon of soil. It's a test to known the reaction of the plant. Will it kill it, or show any deficiencies, or...?
Unless someone stops me, I'll water with a 1:8 ratio.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I was going to mention I was looking to reverse a female, to produce fem sedds. CVH beat me to it.

A 1:8 ratio = what exactly, more important how often will you water with the solution. I know all this will be experimental. I just need a "reasonable" starting point. I have no intention doing multiples, e.g one at a time. If it fails the 1st run< I'll try differently in the 2nd, based on what we find out. :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
1:8 STS solution once mixed and diluted with water. Read the first post in this thread about the ratio.

I will start watering at 3 months of age (this weekend) and once a week for 2 months or until I see something happening.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
1:8 STS solution once mixed and diluted with water. Read the first post in this thread about the ratio.

I will start watering at 3 months of age (this weekend) and once a week for 2 months or until I see something happening.
Thanks Tycho, I had Doug's recipe.

Wow! 3 months in (12 weeks). I veg for 7 weeks before flip (transition week = 8). Actually 10 because I don't count the seedling weeks. I flower between 8-10 weeks.

Next stupid Q...

Can you use the pollen created by reversal to impregnate one of your girls, during the same run? This is where the info is sketchy, or at least what I have come across.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Haven't you heard? There are no stupid Qs. lol

I start my seedlings March. If you flip to flower right away, you can absolutely self pollinate and even grow them the same year. That's called S1. F1 is when you pollinate a sibling (an aunt so to speak) of your reversed plant. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the S&F)

Auto's are easy to turn, but it's tricky to keep them alive long enough to have the seeds mature. They say seeds are mature after about 6 weeks, but that hasn't been my experience. At least with autos. They need an extra 3-4 weeks.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I plan on doing this with fem seeds. So what you are saying is start them off as 12/12?

Wrt to autos, I have heard the same thing.

My plan is to run my 4 plants. 1 will be STS'd and another will be impregnated. Yielding (fingers crossed) 2 smoking plants and 1 seed plant. The STS plant is discarded after doing its deed and collecting the pollen for future use.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I plan on doing this with fem seeds. So what you are saying is start them off as 12/12?

Wrt to autos, I have heard the same thing.

My plan is to run my 4 plants. 1 will be STS'd and another will be impregnated. Yielding (fingers crossed) 2 smoking plants and 1 seed plant. The STS plant is discarded after doing its deed and collecting the pollen for future use.

Yup. Some say to give the plant a week or two before flipping to 12/12, but I see no reason to do that.

Once you get your pollen, why not try to keep it alive? It will self pollinate.

Cvh

Supermod
Can you use the pollen created by reversal to impregnate one of your girls, during the same run? This is where the info is sketchy, or at least what I have come across.

Yes. But seeds need time to develop too. So don't wait to long or senescence might set in before the seeds are fully matured.

Read also back a couple of pages. I'm currently doing an experiment where I successfully 'reversed' a couple of flower sites on a female plant. I let then these F>M flowers pollinate/fertilize the untreated pistillate flowers on the same plant.

The current status of this project is that the seeds are developing.
If you are interested into this experiment, then follow along. I do regular (picture) updates in this thread when there are interesting developments to report.

Cvh

Supermod
Update:

Hi all, a quick update about my first experiment with STS to make S1 feminized seeds using only a single female plant.

Today I could confirm that the seeds are developing nicely. They are literally bursting their seams.

Strain: Power Plant
Current date: 10/06/2019
Start from seed: 10/04/2019 (broke the surface of the soil on this day)
12/12: 24/04/2019
STS (every 5-7 days): start from 04/05/2019 until 18/05/2019 (the branch shown in the picture posted below, other branches received different treatments).

Remarks: Today 10/06/2019 confirmation that seeds are developing.

Seed development evidence:

(A picture of a 'popcorn' sized fertilized flower cluster. This picture clearly shows that the seeds are developing nicely. The developing seeds inside the calyx have ruptured the sides of the calyxes.)

picture.php

Reversed branch:

(A couple of pictures of the STS treated and successfully female-to-male reversed branch following the write-up by Douglas.Curtis.)

picture.php

picture.php

Self fertilized female flower site:

(A picture of a random untreated fertilized female flower cluster.)

picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Valid female S1 seeds from the STS treatment.

1. Lightly sprayed 2 buds with STS twice.
2. Plant pollinated itself.
3. Boom. Female seeds.
Go fuck yourself.
:tiphat:

I pulled some seeds out of a bud, never dried them and just put them in between two wet paper towels on a warm source for 3 days and.... voila! (no pre soak, but I did rinse them out in 3% peroxide for about 2 minutes)

picture.php

So I'll have some female autos for this year. :)

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I have a screenshot saved from another forum of someone saying they harvested an auto, but left lower buds similarly to when trying to reveg. Pollinated them and the plant lived long enough to produce healthy seeds.

This is my collodal silver generator:

picture.php

Cvh

Supermod
STS Single drop F>M reversal experiment

STS Single drop F>M reversal experiment

Hi all,

As I posted earlier into this thread, I was also doing a side experiment to try to trigger male flowers on a female flower cluster using only a single (big) drop of STS applied only once.

As I also hinted earlier, the experiment was a success. Today I noticed that the first male flowers dehisced (opened and released pollen).

Below you can find my notes and photographic evidence of each step and also the final result. Date and observation remarks are also added.

STS Single drop F>M reversal experiment:
Experiment duration: Start: 20/05/2019, End: 16/06/2019.

Strain: Power Plant
Start from seed: 10/04/2019 (broke the surface of the soil on this day)
12/12: 24/04/2019

Date: 20/05/2019
Remarks: application day, a single (big) drop was applied only once using a pipet and carefully balanced on a female flower cluster.

picture.php

Date: 04/06/2019
Remarks: evidence of first signs of male flower formation.

picture.php

Date: 10/06/2019
Remarks: male flower formation, some are starting to open.

picture.php

Date: 16/06/2019
Remarks: male flowers opened and released pollen (dehiscence) evidence.

picture.php

picture.php

Final notes: The experiment definitely was a success. However I seem to notice that there are -as expected- less male flowers formed. Also the formation and release of pollen of the male flowers took a bit longer when compared to my main STS experiment following the write-up by Douglas.Curtis.

Latest posts

Latest posts