What's new

DIY Reverse Osmosis - For Scale Grower - Cheap, Portable, & Effective

G

shroom dr. -what piece are you using at the other end of the clear tubing? is it the factory female piece for an outdoor hose?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
ShroomDr said:
I finally took the thing apart. I recommend everyone do this. The only pieces you need to keep are the initial hose adapter, the on/off switch, and the filter cartridge bracket/holder. You dont need the on/off switch, but it makes fitting all the pieces together simpler.
:wave:

It seems cliche to compliment you on this one...but I must! I am definitely a budget minded (read as "broke-ass") individual looking to start up my first serious grow (read as "not bag seed and with the help of great books and forums").

Thank you for this. it should suit the needs of my set up just fine. Just got the apartment to do it...perhaps I'll start a thread on it. I am a little paranoid to upload photo's though. thoughts?

inflorescence

Veteran
I was reading the Mr. Clean manufactuers web site here: http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/tips.shtml#autodry (scroll down to the very bottom of the page) and this is what it said about more uses for the Mr. Clean.

Here's a tip: Find a new hobby to occupy the free time you have from never drying your car again. See how you can give your car a spot-free finish with no hand drying.
:joint:

I kid you not. lol :)

Last edited:

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Gee, you think if I submit some pic's of my mod and the plants they'll print it?

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Pipedream

Veteran
Dude, chill a bit. The comment was a joke in regards to the post inflorescence made right before mine. It had nothing to do with you at all. Why would anyone jab what you did?

Killer thread

Killer thread

Thanks for this thread pipedream. I have exactly 6 different water filter doodads laying around that i have tried in the last two weeks. they all suck. my tap ppm is a whopping 1000 ppm. i had to take a water sample to the growshop here to have it tested. 1000ppm. i run a bubbler not as elaborate or nice as your cabinet. but it will suffice for now. It takes 14 gallons of r/o water every two weeks with an extra gallon on hand for top off. 15 gallons every two weeks at 40 cents a gallon. now six bucks may not be much to some but i have 6 kids ages 7 months to 14 years. 12 bucks a month i could be using for other things. definetly going to be trying this out thanks again.

If the results of this cheap filter are a low ppm but potentially a pH swing, is it possible that those experiencing the pH swing are getting bad readings? Even if there is a pH swing, with practically no buffering solids in the water, it should not take much if any pH up/down to achieve the desired starting pH.

KillerWeed

salgjkhaf

this is ****ing brilliant!!! just came over from the city and i mainly used that site for grow info but never have i seen some of the shit pipedream is coming up with!!! damn!! I'm ordering this right now. :headbange

Pipedream

Veteran
salgjhaf - Welcome aboard. Enjoy, I hope it works out for you and saves you a bit of cash and lugging.

PD

hurricane

I'm tempted to try this out as well. I've been lugging 2x6G jugs up the stairs, and its just not fun. This water will still be clorinated so needs a good days bubbling. I'm sold on the speed of this unit, it wont have to run forever. Getting 10G out of a 50gpd RO unit means almost 5 hours . . for an apartment grower it might sound odd to have the water running for 5 hours straight, i dont mind replacing the filter i'm already paying .25 a gallon, plus my labor which has gotta be worth at least another .50 a gallon :) If i can get a fairly clean 20G res from a $5 cartridge i'll be back at .25 a gallon anyways. Gotta go find me one of these :)

Hurricane

i may havee overlooked this, is it necesary to take apart the unit and reconstruct it other then for looks? I am interested in this, but really dont understand on how to build it. it was said that it can be used right out of the box, im not sure if thats true. and if so what is the ppm for straight tap, and right after the autodry was used?
thanks

hurricane

piffffalici0us said:
i may havee overlooked this, is it necesary to take apart the unit and reconstruct it other then for looks? I am interested in this, but really dont understand on how to build it. it was said that it can be used right out of the box, im not sure if thats true. and if so what is the ppm for straight tap, and right after the autodry was used?
thanks

IIRC multiple people stated they got faster fills with the unit disasembled. Also easier to see the color of the cartridge. In general i dont remember any reason it cant be used as is. Havn't found me one yet, guess its the wrong time of year with all the rain outside. Anyone know a good online source of cartidges by the case perhaps? best price i'm finding is about $7ea.

Hurrricane

thanks hurricane for the quick answer, does anyone use this method anymore? it seems so much better then r/o. We dont have to worry about wasting a ton of water, expensive parts to change, expensive system to buy. So many positives. :rasta:
As long as it keeps me under 75 ppm ill be happy.
If ANYONE uses this method, please let me know how much ur ppm is before and after using, and also, beside the fact of faster fills, and easier to see the color, is there any reason to disassemble it?
Thanks.
I will wait for an answer until my tds pen arrives, then i guess ill give it a try myself lol.
I LOVE THIS METHOD IF IT WORKS. <3 :wave:

Last edited:

SoEx

I love DIY threads!

I read this through and may pick up some of these in the future if I ever need to change to RO for some reason, but the tap here isn't that bad from what I can see. Man, though, this is really sweet and could be a cheap/easy solution to the home user.

Pipedream

Veteran
:rasta:

The simple answer is "yes" you can use it exactly as it comes with no mods at all. As far as the resulting PPM's go... its a function of the condition of the water you are starting with and how old the cartridge is.

I've been able to buy the replacement filters in bulk online for just under 4 bucks each. Check out eBay for one good source.

:wave:

Last edited:
I FINALLY DID IT!

I FINALLY DID IT!

OK SO I DID IT! :jawdrop:
At first i was confused, cuz i didn't read the box.
I figured it out, and easier then the original diy!!
On the Unit, Three nozzles that come out are: Soap water, Rinse water, and filtered water.
All I did was get a 1/2 inch diameter flex tube (from home depot, 3 dollars) put it over the "filtered water" nozzle(it fit so perfectly, no need for loctite or aquarium silicon to hold it on the nozzle), set the dial to filter, then turn on the water.
I was so skeptical at first.
BUT OMG! :woohoo:

I went from 240 ppm, to 11 ppm :) :jawdrop:
for only 21 dollars!!!(Start up kit, and the flex tube) :jump:
and for 7 dollars for replacement, this saved me over 100 bucks on an r/o unit, thank you so much for this idea!!!

Now my idea to complete the process for drinking water, I am going to get a brita water filter pitcher and add the De Ionized water (from the autodry). I will have pure drinking water as well :).

The Advantages: :joint:
Cost...(compared to over 150 for the cheap level r/o, this is amazing at only 21 dollars).
Ease of replacing filters( At 7 bucks a piece, and it takes 2 seconds to change)
NO WASTE WATER (I feel its a sin to waste so much water in an r/o unit, now i feel as i wont go to hell for running water all day!!!) :asskick:
SPEED (FILLED MY GALLON IN UNDER A MINUTE) :rasta:

Cons:
None so far, will let u guys kno if i do see any.

Hope this helps everyone. :wave:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts