What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Reverse Osmosis - For Scale Grower - Cheap, Portable, & Effective

king_taco

First off, thank you pipedream for this thread.

....i put one of these together and got a couple of shots of the insides that i thought would be helpful for others....

~~Grow Free~~
king_taco

sleepyrz

i too concur mr. spock

my tap water is 320 from the cold side and 440 from the hot side
you cant use that shit for anything
i dont even want to drink it...but i do w/e

ive seen someone with 800 ppm

:fsu:

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
King Taco - Thanks for posting the pic's. In my haste to fininsh my project, I totally forgot to take any "before" pictures. I do think these will help others understand how easy it is, and exactly what I cut down on the green piece.

Throw up some after pic's when you're done and readings too if you have a meter.

V

vonforne

Good post Pipedream! Standing in your garage and the idea hit you. Your mind is working good....you are into your grow.

Good job.

V

G

Rush Limbong said:
I love it!!

Makes me want to go buy one just to convert it!

RUSH

i was in wally world the other day thinking the same thing :joint:

M

mikeraach

And I was at wally world the other day looking, but I couldn't find it. I was in the car section up and down several times :/

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
mikeraach said:
And I was at wally world the other day looking, but I couldn't find it. I was in the car section up and down several times :/

I did the same thing, and ended up finding it on the top shelf, about 7.5' off the ground, and the box was all torn apart. I'm gonna see if I can find it somewhere else :confused:

this blows homemade air cooled hoods and carbon filters out of the water for sheer bang for the buck chutzpah.

i'm still believin, sometimes, when i see others thinking along these lines, pipedream.

it's all in the thought process, shit goes in, magic in the middle, and sometimes gold comes out.

sometimes reconfigured shit, but if you can't enjoy a chuckle...

Cyclonite

I bet it uses resin beads for a DI system....the length of time they stay good seems about right.

You can probley make a cheap effective DI system and just buy resin which is cheap to reload it.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
BUMP

I would just like to add, that the filter seemed to die after 15 gallons.

It had my water down too .004ec, but for $15 i only got 15 gallons.

That's is the same price i pay at the store, for distilled water.

Pipedream

Veteran
Was that on the Starter Filter? I had a short run on the one that came with the unit too. However, when I bought replacements, they lasted way longer. Additionally, they're available for under 4 bucks each when bought in quantity. My cost per gallon is coming in well under 10 cents each.

G

A very nice thing, to be able to just have one of these around for those refills of small reservoirs etc. I don't have one yet, but i am going to. Thank you.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
thought ii was a special packaging of the 10wash filter. and gun.

I got it at wallymart.

my water normally is at .28ec and 7.80pH

G

I purchased one yesterday...wallyworld had them on sale for $15. I'm wondering why so many want to take it apart? I just hooked a garden hose up to it...and it worked great. I just didn't add the soap.

Anyways...it dropped my ppm's from 247 to 23. But my ph rose from 7.5 to 9.1. I let the samples sit overnight and rechecked both samples today...and the ppm's of both the regular tap water and the filtered water rose by 30 points. Yet the ph remained the same. 9.1 is really high. Any ideas why this is happening? Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers,
SH

Pipedream

Veteran
I think there may be issues with your testing method.

The total amount of dissolved solids in tap water, or any water for that matter, should not change by just letting it sit over night. That is assuming the container is covered so that no foreign matter enters it and no water is allowed to evaporate. When water evaporates, all that is lost is H20, solids can not evaporate. As a result, if your sample is reduced by the vaporization of the H2O the solids become more concentrated in the remaining solution. This would show up in a TDS test as an increased reading.

Just basic chemistry. BTW, this also works very well in the kitchen when reducing sauces to concentrate flavors. Mmmmm.

Edit: One more thought....be careful using water that comes thru an outdoor garden hose. They are known to be ideal breeding grounds for all sorts of pathogens. Many of which the filter won't remove and your plants will hate.

PD

Last edited:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
^^
Im no chemist... but leaving my tap water out at night always drops TDS of my water... water left over night tastes stale... always thought the chlorine evaporates off.

bartender187

G

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pipedream again.

The water may of evaporated a bit to cause the higher ppm reading...my concern is the high ph reading in the water that ran through the filter. Almost 2 whole points higher.

I have my garden hoses indoor( if that makes a difference), but I think there is enough chlorine in my water to comabat any pathogens that may of nestled in my hose.

Cheers,
SH