What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY pro style carbon filter

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I made one of these a month ago. I reduce the diameters to 4" inner and 6" outer. It work like a champ. cost about 35 bucks as I recall.The pic is when I first installed it.:smoweed:

This is a pretty cool idea. But, why make one when you can buy one off ebay for $50 shipped?? Is there any difference between this one and the ones on there?? Just doesnt seem worth the effort to save a couple dollars if that.

This is a pretty cool idea. But, why make one when you can buy one off ebay for $50 shipped?? Is there any difference between this one and the ones on there?? Just doesnt seem worth the effort to save a couple dollars if that.

some people dont want a carbon filter shipped to their house. i for one definitely dont want something from a hydro shop sent to my grow, which is my home also. 1 plant could get me ten years if i were to be caught and then fucked up drug court somehow. the police here are like the gestapo. i wont have anything sent to my home that has anything to do with growing. if i had a shop or something out back, then maybe id order one, but i dont. so i MUST DIY no matter the cost. I live in the deep south, where most people still believe all the lies and propaganda of the drug war. not worth my freedom to save an hour of my time. ps. drug court is what you get offered if you want to have the drug charge expunged, and it lasts a minimum of 3 years, and they randomly test you all the time, and more than 85% of the people offered drug court screw it up somehow, the rules are very tuff, and it is pretty much set up so you fail, and if you do, you get the maximum penalty for the charge. so, no, its not worth ordering the filter. even if it was free.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
What exactly is that FB? I need to make one of these soon and looks just the kit.

Sorry lost track of this thread. The mesh was included with the bulk carbon. I wouldn't know where to replace it. However, plastic/fiberglass screening from the hardware store will do the same thing.

Finepointcanon

Veteran
This is the shit, it was an absolute breeze to assemble, and the end result looks & works just as good as the ones on display at the hydro shop.

As a side note, I've got it hooked to a 435 cfm fan, seems to be plenty strong,

Stalwart

That's the same design I based mine on . I used wood instead of duct work to connect the hardware cloth just because I'm so cheap.
Oh I how I wish OG's backup disks could be found! Also kudos on the access port for easy sort-of access for changing the activated carbon,I googled activated carbon and particle size is important but it seems to be a null point with no actual software to calculate it all!