What's new

DIY pro style carbon filter

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I don't get it. The point of twin cores is to place the carbon between them. If all the carbon goes in the inner core, why have an outer one?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
who said it goes in the inner core...

This, from page one. The hole goes to the inner core
i know what you're saying, "but RM, how are we gonna get the carbon in there".

well. i'm pretty sure that SiS put the carbon in right before he installed the 7" cap, but seems to me that it would be a PITA to change the carbon at a later time, so i drilled a 3" hole (with a hole saw) in the cap before installation.

If the carbons in the outer core as it should be, the hole is useless. If the carbon's in the inner core, the only part the hole accesses, why bother with an outer core?

NightFire

The carbon does not go in the center, the center is for the fan to either suck or blow air through. The carbon is in the outer section.

mjcuresall

Thought I'd add this tidbit...

There was a diy tut on OG that used a plastic laundry hamper as the outer core. In that post, the author noted that a 26mm (about 1 inch) layer of carbon was optimal for odor removal.

Still a great thread!

J-Blunt

This, from page one. The hole goes to the inner core

If the carbons in the outer core as it should be, the hole is useless. If the carbon's in the inner core, the only part the hole accesses, why bother with an outer core?

behind that hole is the 6 in duct cap so it wont go in the inner core. i think somewhere it was said he put it through that hole than shook it a little so the carbon would go on the sides of the inner core. not necessarily the best way imo. holes in the 7in cap

Todd P

Hey everyone, bieng my first post and all just wanna say hi...

Anyways im currently growing some C99 in a SCRoG setup under a 400W HPS in a cab. I've grown one time before with this setup however the circumstances were much different and smell never really became a huge problem. However its my 2nd grow with this setup and everythings going real good. As im here to take care of them this time and not leaving for an extended period all the plants are doing very good, and now at 4 weeks into flowering starting to get pretty smelly. Due to the cabs location noise was a huge consideration so we went with 3 high flow 120mm computer fans to pull air through the cab. I really need to do something for odor control and was gonna build a nice little carbon scrubber. However I don't think the computer fans will be able to create enough back pressure or whatever it is to pull enough air through the scrubber to make it effective. Anyone have any experience in using computer fans and a carbon scrubber? I can use 2 of them for the scrubber (other ones used for cooltube). Im not opposed to buying a decent inline fan however as I said noise is a huge concern, and as it currently is the only thing you can hear when standing right next to it is the faint noise of the bubblers, but with a fish tank right next to it thats not a problem.

Any help with getting odor in check would be greatly appreciated.

this works, get a plastic container some water and some pine sol mix together and drop an airstone in the container it covers up anything. just adjust your water pine sol mix to level of smell. just a few bucks air pump is most expensive part.:joint:

LifeLess

Veteran
This is the best investment ive made. This thing works great. I didnt put a hole in the end i remove the outter end cap and fill with a small funnel and replace the end cap when done. Total cost with carbon 45 bucks. Peace LL

re

re

how much carbon should i purchase for a scrubber for an 8 inch vortex??

I'd say no more than 10-15 lbs should do the trick for you. You'll probably have some left over. It is also dependent upon whether you decide to use the 2'' gap between the inner and outer area, or 1'', which is probably what I'll due. Someone mentioned it a few posts back, and I think 1'' would be more conducive to proper air flow.

JQP

Question

Question

I am going to rebuild my small basement closet this spring (right after harvest). It's been in operation now just one year, and some changes need to be made.

While I live out in the boondocks, there are times in the summer when utility guys (i.e., propane or fuel oil) or straight neighbors might be near by and the skunk odor is very noticeable. I have a 4" passive air intake near the floor in my closet, and a high cfm fan in the ceiling that exhausts through 4" aluminum hose to a dryer vent I cut into the wall of the house and attached.

My question is: where do I install a carbon filter in this system to eliminate the odor venting to the outside? Before the high cfm fan?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JQ

iSmokeTrees

I'm building one and it is 6" inner and 8" outer but I can't seem to find panty hose big enough to fit over it. Ecoplus fan so my core is 27" long.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I am going to rebuild my small basement closet this spring (right after harvest). It's been in operation now just one year, and some changes need to be made.

While I live out in the boondocks, there are times in the summer when utility guys (i.e., propane or fuel oil) or straight neighbors might be near by and the skunk odor is very noticeable. I have a 4" passive air intake near the floor in my closet, and a high cfm fan in the ceiling that exhausts through 4" aluminum hose to a dryer vent I cut into the wall of the house and attached.

My question is: where do I install a carbon filter in this system to eliminate the odor venting to the outside? Before the high cfm fan?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JQ

You can put it on either end, intake or exhaust, mounted directly to the filter.

Intake would be in the room, pulling through the filter and out to the attic.

Exhaust side, you'd put the filter in the attic, and pull from the grow into the filter.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I'm building one and it is 6" inner and 8" outer but I can't seem to find panty hose big enough to fit over it. Ecoplus fan so my core is 27" long.

I stopped using panty hose a long time ago. Pick up some mesh tape from the hardware store, and you can thank me later :D