What's new

DIY LED FOR PC CASE/extreme micro box

Dion

hempgrowingnewb

Which Vero 13 Gen 7 leds should I get? I do not understand difference between B and C leds.

What I get from datasheet is that C ones run with lower voltages at 350mA. B ones are about 34v, but they currently cost only $5.5 where C ones are $7.7. B ones are little too much for the cheap fastech drivers. I am unsure if I should pay more for C ones or get other drivers. The big driver from digikey works with B and C leds.

Dion

Which Vero 13 Gen 7 leds should I get? I do not understand difference between B and C leds.

What I get from datasheet is that C ones run with lower voltages at 350mA. B ones are about 34v, but they currently cost only $5.5 where C ones are $7.7. B ones are little too much for the cheap fastech drivers. I am unsure if I should pay more for C ones or get other drivers. The big driver from digikey works with B and C leds.

http://www.bridgelux.com/sites/defa...1 Vero 13 Array Data Sheet Rev C 20160713.pdf

the C B ect are the voltages, basically this time they made each model designed for more watts

take whichever one u like man, just look at the 2nd part of the data sheet(common drive currents) and pay attention to lumens per watt

hempgrowingnewb

Thanks.

I guess I will get C variant. According to specs I would get almost 11k lumens with 6 COB's. Even with five that is almost 9k. Now I just need to figure out if I want to build this for PC case or small tent.

There isn't data how much heat these will generate. Could I get away with the heat with 6 COBS at 350mA inside PC case if I decide to move it from tent to case?

I guess I would make PC case so that the heatsinks are in different compartment than plants with 120mm fan blowing air out of that compartment.

Dion

Thanks.

I guess I will get C variant. According to specs I would get almost 11k lumens with 6 COB's. Even with five that is almost 9k. Now I just need to figure out if I want to build this for PC case or small tent.

There isn't data how much heat these will generate. Could I get away with the heat with 6 COBS at 350mA inside PC case if I decide to move it from tent to case?

I guess I would make PC case so that the heatsinks are in different compartment than plants with 120mm fan blowing air out of that compartment.

yeah thats a cool idea

smth like
http://www.heatsinkled.com/EtraLED-11020-Modular-Passive-LED-Star-Heat-Sink-Φ110mm-p09377407.html

or you could do even better just put the heatsinks into the lid so the fins stick out the top, if u need stealth put a box on top and cool tube style vent it

hempgrowingnewb

I decided to go with cheaper, smaller build for 1.12 square foot PC case.

LED will be in same compartment as plants so I won't have cooling tube kind of setup.

What would be the best option currently for about 6000 lumen setup?

M

Mr. Sparkle

I decided to go with cheaper, smaller build for 1.12 square foot PC case.

LED will be in same compartment as plants so I won't have cooling tube kind of setup.

What would be the best option currently for about 6000 lumen setup?

A small suggestion would be to spread it over a couple COB "3 to 4", even though you can easily just get one Bigger COB and run it at a higher amperage to get 6000 lumens but the issue is you will have dark spots and areas where you will get light bleaching, something i run into with my 2 led flowering box.

But saying that in my own cases i found that a more even light distribution works better than brighter singular sources, but say if you went with 4 latest generation Vero/V 18's that were run at 350ma, that would more that cover your light output, could even run two of them at 700ma at get around 8000 lumen, but you will run into the previous mentioned dark and hot spots.

There Pretty cheap too, i want to upgrade my flowering pc case to 4 of them at 350ma, but that's a want not a need at the moment, and im thinking of making a different box anyways.

Redoing some calculations you could easily just run 3 of the newer BXRE-50C4001-C-74 at around 350ma and get around 7750 lumens, and that could be run off a single 1A driver with the leds in parallel.

hempgrowingnewb

A small suggestion would be to spread it over a couple COB "3 to 4", even though you can easily just get one Bigger COB and run it at a higher amperage to get 6000 lumens but the issue is you will have dark spots and aread where you will get light bleaching.

In my own cases i found that a more even light distribution works better than brighter singular sources, but say if you went with 4 latest generation Vero/V 18's that were run at 350ma, that would more that cover your light output, could even run two of them at 700ma at get around 8000 lumen, but you will run into the previous mentioned dark and hot spots.

There Pretty cheap too, i want to upgrade my flowering pc case to 4 of them at 350ma, but that's a want not a need at the moment, and im thinking of making a different box anyways.

Redoing some calculations you could easily just run 3 of the newer BXRE-50C4001-C-74 at around 350ma and get around 7750 lumens, and that could be run off a single 1A driver with the leds in parallel.

I was writing message that I will go with 2 x Vero 13 @ 600ma which would give me around 6000 lumens, but now that you mentioned dark spots it makes sense to take more leds.

My first choice has been 4x Vero 13 @300-350ma for a long time, but I haven't been able to find suitable driver/drivers that could power them.

3x Vero 18 seems also like a good idea too. Any tips what kind driver I should get? I tried to search fastech and ebay for drivers but I couldn't find 1A one.

My main problem building this has been the drivers whole time. I just can't seem to find suitable ones. I could go for 3-4x these drivers from Fastech, but then I have 3-4 seperate drivers taking up space.

Also, I am from EU and my only heatsink option seems to be the one Dion has from fastech and I am unsure how much heat one of these can handle.

M

Mr. Sparkle

I was writing message that I will go with 2 x Vero 13 @ 600ma which would give me around 6000 lumens, but now that you mentioned dark spots it makes sense to take more leds.

My first choice has been 4x Vero 13 @300-350ma for a long time, but I haven't been able to find suitable driver/drivers that could power them.

3x Vero 18 seems also like a good idea too. Any tips what kind driver I should get? I tried to search fastech and ebay for drivers but I couldn't find 1A one.

My main problem building this has been the drivers whole time. I just can't seem to find suitable ones. I could go for 3-4x these drivers from Fastech, but then I have 3-4 seperate drivers taking up space.

Also, I am from EU and my only heatsink option seems to be the one Dion has from fastech and I am unsure how much heat one of these can handle.

A suggestion for the heat sinks even with being in the EU, is you can usually find some stock desktop cpu heat sinks for cheap with even an attached fan if desired, an example that ive used is the Intel lga 115x CPU heatsinks "1150,1155,1156", which you can usually find used on pretty much any classifed place with a wanted add or just searching, but most computer shops that build pc's will have some kicking around, as most people who build there own computers typically ditch the stock heat sink for other options, leaving a bran new heasink to hide in closets or cupboards everywhere, saying that they are typically designed to disapate heat for cpu's that can run in the 35-100w range and will put any generic "cheap" chinese heatsink to shame. Last time i picked up some it was about $20 for 3, and i actually ended up using the fans for internal air circulation in my current pc grow cases. But if your not pickey and looking or exactly the same heatsinks, you can usally find any cpu stock heatsinks for pretty much free by just asking around for old cpu heatsinks, most people will just give them away, i have quite a few im not using ive aquired that way.

As for drivers go to an electronic supplier, i dont know what source would be popular over in eu, but over here some examples would be Mouser.com or Digikey.com, And then go on a hunt for drivers, i currently use some Constant Currrent Meanwell APC-35-700 but i use them to run in my one case single leds at 700ma and my other case strings of two leds in parallel at 700ma.

But they have many options for different constant current drivers, but you just need to see what easy to get locally

Ans sorry Dion for jumping in, figured i could help

Dion

go to any computer repair store and they will have suitable pc coolers in a box you can have for a few beers, they r big enough to run without the fans for our application

bonus free fans for using in the pc

good luck

mrvaperino

damn... this thread is priceless Dion! thanks!!

still collecting material to start my first pcbox, and i'm thinking of doing the El Cheapo way
is it still a good cheap option?

my concern is basically the security of those drivers (heh... specially as i'm not the most handy guy with wires)

and since my lack of talent, is there any suggestion for another cheap driver that could handle the 24 leds?

(btw, the el cheapo would work for veg and flowering some autoflowering, right?)

mrvaperino

Hi guys,

I have finally received the Cree's, heatsinks and drivers from fasttech.
But i'm still strugglin on how to connect the whole thing.

Ok, so, 8 cree's per heatsink, no problem... but only 2 drivers? Should I connect two heatsinks (16 cree's) in series and the 8 left to the second driver?