What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY - Build a Carbon Scrubber For Dummies!

Oh yeah Filters are expensive as hell.. for the price of the can 50 I was gonna get.. I hit Home Hardware and got all the stuff to make my Filter, my Stanley fan mod, AND a cooltube and still came out saving $25 canadian lol

Cyber9

Yah i really gotta stop going to the growshop for supplies, they tend to add on 200%.. plus carbon filters, really what use are they other then growing weed? Growshops know this and charge and arm and a leg :yoinks:

Im planning on building a 24" long filter with a 6" core, anyone know how much carbon I'm gonna need to fill this up?

I'd imagine ALOT lol.. for my 6"x14" core with a 8" external dimension, I needed 2kg. unfortunately for me, I bought it all locally in those little 200g pouches at the pet stores.. PRO TIP: BUY IN BULK SOMEWHERE! lol I'm getting my next bunch from ebay in a 10+ LBS bag

KolorBlind

FreezerBoy
Awesome thanks for the pics they were very helpful!! How loud is the whooshing air coming out the back of your fridge? Or do you silence it somehow? Louder than the fan?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
While the scrubber provides some muffling, at the 100 cfm setting, it's still a bit louder than I'd like. Why would a freezer push that much air? An unanticipated problem is the S&P's whoosh is, audibly, highly directional. The axial's sound seemed to come from behind the freezer ... somewhere. The S&P comes from the upper left hand corner. uhhh ... there's no "compressor" there ... so I ran some duct outside the box to exhaust underneath the freezer.

KolorBlind

haha quick thinking on re routing the exhaust. It must stay fairly cold where you are because I have a hard enough time keeping temps down as is, let alone venting hot air under my fridge :p

All parts are ordered and I will be building 2 of these filters this weekend hopefully. Thanks for all the help!!!

KB

Cyber9

Hey guys, Im having problems finding a 8" end cap as well as a 8" to 6" reducer collar.. checked home depot, rona, totem.. and suggestions?

NOKUY

Veteran
Hey guys, Im having problems finding a 8" end cap as well as a 8" to 6" reducer collar.. checked home depot, rona, totem.. and suggestions?

yeah if u have probs getting those parts....grab the yellow pages and call an hvac contractor.....i had to do that to get 6'' to 4'' reducer...and met dude at the jobsite....no biggie.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
While Harbor Freight has some cheap ass tools, sometimes that's enough. Rather than spend $10 for hose clamps and tape, I spent $3.50 for a rivet gun. They have snips for about the same price. Some sheet metal from HD and you can make your own caps.

....... time passes...............
ehhh, maybe not caps. I wanted to cut the outer core to 5". Not a 5" cap to be found at Home Depot. I built one. Not too shabby but, too great a chance of slicing fingers or, especially, hosiery. I found a plastic "jar" of baby wipes at the supermarket that was 5" exactly. Cut off the bottom and voilà, a 5" cap.

Last edited:

KolorBlind

Hey guys, got one of my filters all done and I must say Im very pleased with the appearance. I will hook it up and test it tonight.

I used a 4" inner core and 6" outer core. I measured my wire mesh 10" long so with the caps & the reducer its about 14-15" from end to end.

I used 3 9oz jars of activated carbon from walmart and I used every last grain to fill it up. Just to give people an idea of how much carbon is required. I took FreezerBoys advice and ordered some in bulk off eBay for $1.99 per pound!! Definitely the way to go!

Anyways, heres my filter
picture.php

Peace
KB

irieeyes808

Pretty damn smart, growers have great heads . Why do manufacturers charge so damn much for something so simple, seems like they might reduce pricing sell more? I would prefer to make one like this as apposed to spending 300 bucks every year, on a store bought unit.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
That will provide temporary relief but full reactivation takes 1400º F.

sneaky_g

about 450 cfm fan through an aircooled light to our DIY carbon scrub. im terrible at math,

trying to figure what i should make the core height?
6" ducting

sneaky_g

Is their anywhere you can buy active carbon in lbs .. i found petsmart and petco to not hold any bulk on it.. I dont trust ebay

stoneroad

Is their anywhere you can buy active carbon in lbs .. i found petsmart and petco to not hold any bulk on it.. I dont trust ebay
dude i got 3 gallons of this stuff 18lbs roughly on ebay and it was here in no time works like a charm my man! my scrubber is like 3 feet long and 6" around and i have plunty left!

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Was the activated carbon more powder or pellet form?

Avoid both. You want granules. Powder is dust and is useless. Pellets work but, being smooth, pack looser and lack the adsorption power of granules. Check Ebay for a guy named thirdmillenium $1.99 lb+shipping. The fish store will charge $4-$5 lb

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
DurbanPoison said:
D = Diamter of Filter Inner Core (Inches)
H = Filter's Height (Inches)
I = Inner Core Surface Area Square Inch

CFM D H I
150 4 9 113
200 4 12 151
275 6 12 226
375 6 16 302
400 6 24 603
550 8 24 603
650 10 24 754

If I have a Dayton style blower, and its 465CFM, how long should my 6" core be??

The guide here when I do the math they say, does not come up right for me, :dueling:

I don't wana make it to short, im thinking prolly about 25-26" but just lookin' for some ideas.

Thanx much,
TOm