What's new

DIY - Build a Carbon Scrubber For Dummies!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
If the lamp has separate cooling that will help but, a $20 bathroom fan is designed to work with no resistance. A scrubber like this is high resistance. My temps climbed 10-15º F when I attached the scrubber to a 100 CFM S&P mixed vent which handles pressure much better than a $20 bathroom fan. My options are to ramp the fan up to 135 CFM (meaning more noise) or cut the filter depth in half which will be my first choice.

An Odorsock is carbon material over a tubular screen http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2041492&postcount=196 Look for Treetop link at the top for better instructions. Suitable for small grows only.

KolorBlind

Hi guys. Ive read through this thread and Im trying to figure out exactly how to build one of these for my fan without wasting time & money (aka doing it right the first time). I have already tried numerous filter ideas and all have failed. I have since learned from my mistakes and I am ready to give it a real go.

I have an 80CFM NuTone bathroom fan I bought brand new from Home Depot. I will have to add the scrubber after the exhaust for various reasons, all of which would take up too much space to type for now. From the chart on page 1 I figured my can should be about 4.8" long, this seems very short. My outlet is 4" round, and Im thinking I should make a 90 degree bent out the back of the fridge then have the can horizontal, fixed to the back of the fridge, but how much ducting should I use? Oh and the fan is a blower style and rwally moves a lot of air, with no filter on it my temps are actually too low if I run it all day lol.

Any help is very much appreciated, I really cant afford to waste any more money on this project, and if I can get a solid design that I know will work I have no problem spending the money on it. Thanks in advance guys!

KB

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Use as little as you can get away with. The filter will add considerable resistance and ducting will only add to it.

So, where's your diary? I wanna see your fridge.

KolorBlind

Hehe, I was kinda trying to avoid the grow journal subject but since ya asked. Its over on RIU *cringe* haha! I was a big OG fan back in the day and when it went under I just stopped reading about growing in general. A friend turned me on to RIU recently and that has been my main site, although I must say this one has a much higher population. I love both really.

Anyways, here is a link to the journal, I suppose I could make a copy of it here but thats so much work :p

In fact FreezerBoy Ive been reading through your threads & seen you post in MANY others regarding frigde grows since about a month before I got my fridge. You among others have been a great inspiration to me and my partners in crime (best bud & the wife). So a big thanks goes to you for helpin me get as far as I am! My fridge setup is pretty rough at the moment, although it has made quite the transformation since Day 1 when I first put the lights in. Not near as clean as your setup but I am slowly working my way that direction.

KB

I made one of these 3 months ago and am now in my 7th week of flower with an unknown purple strain...possibly diesel because it smells like gasoline. The carbon was from the blue quart-sized container at PetsMart, around $13. It worked great up until 2 days ago but it's now letting some of the odors out...gonna have to replace the carbon. But I gotta tell you, when I open up my cab it WREAKS in there, so the carbon has been doing a great job. Still not a bad deal though since the carbon is cheap and easy to replace.

RadaRada

lol

lol

heres mine lol its mad ghetto. i just need to put on the carbon filter, my setup cost me not even :2cents:. i just used stuff i had laying around my house... works just as good and i built my fan right in

tools:
-hotglue gun
-scissors

materials:
-wire mesh
-duct tape
-noxema facecream cap
-gatorade bottle (cut off 3" from top)
-cardboard

KolorBlind

So did ya ever get to check out my fridge journal FreezerBoy? Im curious to see what you think, and if you think that a 5" can filter would be enough. Right now my small filter inside he cab seems to be working, but I just flipped the lights to 12/12 today, so let the real stinkfest begin! haha.

KB

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Looks good. I'm stunned you can use a single 3" intake. I could survive on a single 4" with a 150 but, with a 250, ol' Shed turned into an easy bake oven. I've got duals now and still have to troubles in summer.

So is your filter on the NuTone not working? Looked tre chic in a MacGuyver kinda' way.

KolorBlind

Yeah actually last weekend I drilled another 3" hole in the bottom, the difference has been amazing. With all 8 CFLs, the 175MH and the 150HPS on the highest temp Ive seen so far is 80 after being on all day, with an avg temp of like 76-77, low is about 69. I also just switched to 12/12 so the lights will be on for an even shorter time period.

As far as the filter goes, I dont think I have a pic of the "new" one, but the pic on the first page shows my first design, which is pretty much what my new design is only the whole filter is only like .5" thick with framework, carbon & all. Its working decent now, not much of a smell really, but the plants arent really that stinky...yet. I just wanted to go ahead and make a can filter so that if it gets out of control I have it ready. I want to keep this one as long as possible because it restricts very little airflow, another reason why my temps have been nice & low. Once it gets up to 90F+ outside I dont knwo wtf Im gonna do, just use my cab I guess, and grow as many of my new Diesel Ryders as possible haha.

Thanks for lookin man, and sorry OP not tryin to hijack the thread here. Oh btw, what fan are you currently using for exhaust? Still the 14+ year old one? Do you use a scrubber on Shed? If what it takes is a new fan, I am willing to spend about $100 on one, I hear bathroom exhaust fans arent the best with scrubbers, especially when pushing through one.

KB

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Had to lose the axial when the diy odorsock was overpowered by my Mandala 8 Mile at 3 weeks. Hadn't even flowered yet and it stunk me out. The Durban Scrubber was more than the axial could handle so I got the S&P 100X. Scrubber causes a real temp jump at 100 cfm (trying to avoid the 135 cfm setting for noise purposes) so I'm going to rebuild it with a 1/2 inch core. These scrubbers really work. (see how I got us back on topic there? Neat, huh.)

KolorBlind

Hey Freezer

What length is the scrubber you made for that TD-100x? I just ordered one for myself for my new mini fridge project. If my math is correct it should be 6.02" long for the 100CFM setting or 8.13" long for the 135CFM setting. Is the 135CFM setting so loud that it doesnt just sound like a fridge?

Ill be tossing a 150wHPS in a 34" tall 100% gutted mini fridge, and Im trying my best to get everything right this time from the beginning and not try to skimp out. I sure appreciate all your help.

KB

FreezerBoy

Veteran
My core was in the 12-14 inch range (it's "night" in the cab so I can't look) I'm trying to avoid the 135 cfm option. It's just too much air to pass off as a freezer compressor. I'd think the 100 setting should handle a 150 HPS. I cooled mine with a 76 CFM axial but, that was before coming here and my grow stinking to high heaven.

KolorBlind

OK awesome, I will probably make two 12" long ones then, one for the fridge and one for the new mini fridge. If I make them longer than the math specifies, does that hurt it at all? I mean obviously if its too short there will be too much resistance, but what if I make it a tad too long?

Gonna have to house these suckers outside my fridge's thats for sure lol. Hope the air coming out of them isnt too loud.

KB

FreezerBoy

Veteran
My guess would be as long as the surface of the core has a larger area than the exhaust port, resistance should be minimised. I'd think the "too long" option would last longer, spreading smell over a larger area. Can't think of any problems but, I'm guessing here, big time.

I'd try over here Ventilation 101

I just made one of these tonight for my cab.. I went the 8" exterior, 6" interior route.. 14" long, but ran outta carbon.. going out to buy more tomorrow, then I get to hook her up and try her out.. btw, so far I've used 1600g of Activated Carbon, and still gonna need probably another 400-600g more :(

KolorBlind

OK I had (hopefully) just one more question. Lets say I decided I would rather pull through the filter that I will make for my mini fridge. Does the same math apply or can I make it short & stubby? Ive seen a lot of people using the smaller CAN scrubbers and pulling through them. This will be an option in my smaller fridge, but not my big one unfortunately. Anyone pull through one of these style filters instead of push?

Here is a rendered image from a RIU user that is going to pull through a can style filter, I would love to do this so that I dont have a 12" long can filter behind the fridge totally ruining the stealth aspect.
355558d1237185525-help-stealth-cab-design-advice-6_vent_x_ray.jpg

KB

I just made one of these tonight for my cab.. I went the 8" exterior, 6" interior route.. 14" long, but ran outta carbon.. going out to buy more tomorrow, then I get to hook her up and try her out.. btw, so far I've used 1600g of Activated Carbon, and still gonna need probably another 400-600g more :(

Took another 400g to fill it (upto 2000g to fill JESUS), but she is up and running atop my cabinet, and working beautifully! The true test will be the next time I'm out all day and come home, if I can smell anything LOL Though with a scrubber the size of the one I made, I better not!

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I pull through mine.

I think your only problem would be longevity. Less carbon=less surface area=less adsorption=more replacing of carbon.

Cyber9

Wow I went to buy one of these today, to my shock and dismay I found out they sell for $320 at the grow shop... Can we say highway robbery??? Ill be hitting up homedepot tommorow.. I figure I can put this together for under a $100 bucks... will update with over all cost tommorow.

Latest posts

Latest posts