What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY - Build a Carbon Scrubber For Dummies!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
No, no, no, don't feel bad. Actually, I should have said the fan works more efficiently pulling than pushing. However, that's not always the best choice for the garden as a whole. For stealth reasons, I push. I have my filter outside where it serves double duty as a muffler.

While the filter must go at the end of the run, which end is "best" is up to you.

DaftBud

Ah, I understand. Thanks again, Freezer. I'd rep you again just for being so amiable, but apparently I have to spread the love around some more.

Good folks around these forums.

iwstdp

I just made one of these. I'm about 3 and a half weeks into flowering and I had made a version of another DIY carbon filter before. Smell was leaking all over the house during the light period :eek: For this Carbon filter I made a 4" core and 12" height. One modification I also made was to use a Honeywell Activated Carbon Prefilter ($9 from Walmart) instead of the nylons on the outer shell. Here's a picture of my setup:

attachment.php

The Carbon filter barely fits inside the tent (2x2x5). But it's been about an hour since I've installed it and the smell seems to have gone away. Yay. I also read in an earlier post that you're supposed to use granules but the pet store near me charged way too much for them, so I ended up using the pellets instead. Next time I'll buy granules in bulk, but the pellets with the activated carbon prefilter seem to be working fine so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 23

iwstdp

delete, sorry. tried to edit previous post to show a better image and ended up submitting a new post somehow instead

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 24
Quick question for anyone here in the know....

I built one of these per what I though was correct math, but maybe I'm not understanding the formula.

My specs: 131 CFM Dayton blower, 4" inner core. The numbers point to about 7.5" inner core, so I made it 8" to be safe. I am pushing the air at the end of my exhaust outside of the room, as opposed to pulling it.

My result: A less than pleasing odor. It actually made the smell worse. In less than 24 hrs. I have bad "sulfur" smell...is the only way I can describe it. Did I create the back draft that Durban was speaking of???? If so, where did I go wrong in the formula.

Thx in advance

GT

diamondmine

Does this formula work for a flat filter, basically I want to use just a flat screen for a scrubber. I'm using a stanley blower(some say around 150cfm) what size screen should I use? I was going to go with 12 inch by 12 inch for 144 square inch filter but not sure???

slowandeasy

Veteran
Quick question for anyone here in the know....

I built one of these per what I though was correct math, but maybe I'm not understanding the formula.

My specs: 131 CFM Dayton blower, 4" inner core. The numbers point to about 7.5" inner core, so I made it 8" to be safe. I am pushing the air at the end of my exhaust outside of the room, as opposed to pulling it.

My result: A less than pleasing odor. It actually made the smell worse. In less than 24 hrs. I have bad "sulfur" smell...is the only way I can describe it. Did I create the back draft that Durban was speaking of???? If so, where did I go wrong in the formula.

Thx in advance

GT

Your problem is the same I had with the Dayton Blower. The motor part sucks air in also...so it is bypassing your filter. Either get the fan out of the grow area or get a new fan.

SmilinBob

I have a 100 cfm axial ac fan. Would a 4" inner core/ 10 inch height/ 5" outer core be big enough for this fan? I'm only exhausting about 4.5 cubic feet. Any info anyone could give would be great.

Bobs_my_brother

howzit durban, ive got a 215cfm fan with a 4 inch core, if ive done my math right i need it to be about 13'' tall? does that sound about right? i just divided the 215 by 16.6 = 12.95etc so about 13'', let me know...peace bobs bro

Spiritu

Hey guys, i've been thinking about building one of these for awhile, but I have a few qustions first. I'm trying to figure out how to fit it into a basic cab design before i build it.

Is it correct to assume you would need a separate fan for exhaust, while the scrubber being built is intended mostly for filtering rather than as a filter/exhaust combo?

If this is true, how do you know how powerful a fan you would need on the scrubber (if the exhaust fan takes care of the heat? Would i then need 2 x 165cfm fans for the cab?

Could the scrubber be effectively used as part of the exhaust?

I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible...the scrubber and exhaust system are the only complicated part of the setup.

that was easy to understand w/ great photos and attention to detail. thanks. i can't wait to hit up lowes and try my hand at building one of these

BobbySparkle

This is a pretty good scrubber, it works! Of course, I did spend about 40 bucks on carbon

from the pet shop and an additional 20 or so on parts. I would do it again though, good

diy.

Latest posts

Latest posts