What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY - Build a Carbon Scrubber For Dummies!

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Really well done. Excellent tut. Nice pics. Easy explanation.

Let's see what are judges say:

9.8, 9.8, 9.7, 9.8 and a 9.6 from the East German judge!

Where in home depot, or any other store, can i find this hard steel mesh, or any steel mesh for that matter? I keep asking the employees for steel mesh and steel hardware cloth but no one has any idea.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Try the fencing section, it's where I got my plastic ScrOG mesh, too. I think the official term is machine cloth.

bmwCali

if i have a 9 m2 (97sqft) room filled with 3-4 m2 (30-50sqft) of plants, how many scrubbers do i need?
and what should be the measurements for the fans?
is it true i would need something like 2100 cfm total?
how long and wide should each of the scrubbers be?

i really suck at math and constructing stuff :/

MapleLeaf

CFM D H I
150 4 9 113
200 4 12 151
275 6 12 226
375 6 16 302
400 6 24 603
550 8 24 603
650 10 24 754

I have a 6" inline fan with 400cfm but I have It on a speed dial on medium and the power is noticably less, probably around 200cfm. So thats a 6" inner core with around 150 cfm. Since the lowest this list goes is a 6" with 275cfm has a 12" height, should I reduce the height of my scrubber to 10"? or keep a 12" height?

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
So..... mine doesn't work. I built this thing like a month ago and have only just got around to testing it with some incense (there are no plants in this room yet, 2 weeks away) and it did not work. I guess it kind of worked, the smell certainly wasn't as strong coming out the exhaust on the roof as it was in the room, but I would have definetely know that someone was burning incense in there. Not a good thing. I have to try to dig up my exact specs again and I will post them, but this thing was large.

I asked before and didn't get a response.... was this meant for large rooms or only cabinets? I used a TD 200 fan... anyone have success with the same or similar?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I had carbon slip between machine cloth and the outer panty hose. It had to come from somewhere, meaning there was now a thin spot, if not clear hole, through the carbon.

I replaced the hose outside the core with a plastic mesh sleeve inside the core. With no chance of carbon pushing out, I could tamp carbon extra tight. My mesh came with the bulk carbon so I don't know where to buy more but, window screening or silk screen are two alternatives that spring to mind.

Make the sleeve 3-4 inches longer than the machine cloth core. An inch or two at the bottom to get secured by the batting and a couple at the top to hold as you tamp the carbon as the tamping action tries to push the mesh down too.

Last edited:

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
this scrubber works cherry as pie... great great thread... peace..

sack

nuke

Hey guys I'm having trouble finding a 4 inch duct cap. Cant find it at hd or lows. Is there anything I can sub with or somewhere else I can find a cap?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
4" is a standard size. I'd have to imagine they're simply out until the next delivery day.

When I rebuilt mine with a 5" outer core, I could find a 4-5 reducer but no 5" cap. I went to the grocery store and measured various products till I found a container with a 5" diameter. There was some high end baby food but, that was $30-$40. I think it was handy wipes I finally settled on for $2.99 and simply cut the bottom off the container to use as a cap. See pic above.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
You might try the supermarket as I did. I have some protein powder that's in a 7.75" dia container.

Maybe a kitchen supply? My plastic flour canister is 6", I'm sure they have larger diameters.

L

lid

another thing about carbon. need to grt it from locatin a to be? put a ziplock bag of ur stuff in a can of carbon fromt the fish store. zero oders. damn im faded!!lol
no back pain. feels so good not to have that on my mind rt now cosidering i have have 2 dislocated vertibra. yea it sucks. thank my lord for this wonderful herb he has gifted us all. share the wealrh to help others.