What's new

DIY: Alternative to Smoking with Butane Lighters, No cash for a vaporizer? This might

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I've thought about it, but having to deal out of state with someone if there are any issues just isn't something I want to get into. If my ballast has a problem, I can find parts and stuff here locally. What do I do if my vape element goes out? Or there is some other issue?

Are you in a med state Pano? Because here it would be paraphernalia, and I don't order bubblers or pipes online either :D

I'm probably over thinking it. The only one I've gotten to try was a Vapor Bros, and I wasn't really impressed. The thought of paying $300+ for an item that I haven't even seen in use just kinda makes my sphincter tighten :biglaugh:

melvin2

$100 for a craftsman adjustable temp heat gun with ceramic element - find a 10% off coupon
buy a glass guitar finger slide, it's a hollow tube pretty cheap.
get some screen, cheap
a turkey oven bag and a rubber band, cheap

place one screen inside the tube, place herb on top, then place another screen over that to keep it from flying out. put the end of the turkey bag around one end of the glass tube and hold it on with a rubber band. Set the temperature to about 400 degrees and with a modified add-on piece (included with gun) blow hot air through tube and herb into empty turkey bag (bag material keeps from burning fingers). replace the glass tube with 1, 2, 3 or 4 lengths of 1/4 inch tubing and you and some friends can toke it.

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hate how easily threads on here get side tracked / hijacked.

The original poster in this thread made a decent how to do it yourself bee line. It's interesting. We all have our preferences.

To each their own....

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
I've thought about it, but having to deal out of state with someone if there are any issues just isn't something I want to get into. If my ballast has a problem, I can find parts and stuff here locally. What do I do if my vape element goes out? Or there is some other issue?

Are you in a med state Pano? Because here it would be paraphernalia, and I don't order bubblers or pipes online either :D

I'm probably over thinking it. The only one I've gotten to try was a Vapor Bros, and I wasn't really impressed. The thought of paying $300+ for an item that I haven't even seen in use just kinda makes my sphincter tighten :biglaugh:

I understand...

I don't see any reason to drop more than a bill on a vape. The first one I bought was a VapoRite (knock-off VaporBros model that was better than the original design) that cost a grand total of $50 after lucking out at a 50% off sale. It was a solid buy and never gave me any trouble: heating element, whip or otherwise.

On the other hand, if you aren't afraid of a Bic lighter, which so much of the smoking community around here seems to be, I'd say go with a VaporGenie. They're between $50-$60 depending on what model you go for. Their products are top notch and 100% guaranteed. I mean, they even go so far as to give you free screens, mouthpieces, and pipe cleaners after purchasing one of their pieces, as much as you need, no questions asked.

I'm sure the wax string idea works for someone, but I think it's ridiculous. It's like something a teen would do when high and bored, akin to building gatorade bottle bongs.

I personally don't see the issue with a lighter, especially when you are setting your bud on fire to smoke it in the first place, as one would do with this whole wax string business. If you're that concerned about your health and still want to experience the effects of bud, bake some brownies.

BTW, I couldn't be further from a med state and I've had no issues buying gear online.

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Agreed, digestion is the best ingestion :yes: I'm partial to my tincture, myself :D

But every once in a while, you just want to sit down and puff one, ya know :joint: If I could find one of the models you mentioned locally at those prices, I'd definitely give it a whirl.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats why I roll my tree up in a paper or a tobacco leaf... Yall spend more time light'n your shit then smokin it.
yo MO bro....... I tried to K+ you but after sending the rep it informed me that I'd 'DEDUCTED' from your rep, screw this new software cuz I've NEVER made an error like that before. Sorry to hit ya with the neg rep bro, I'll make it up in short order.......

:fsu:

WesleyPipes

Hmm, where to begin. Seems like half the people who posted didn't even bother to actually read the thread.

SouthernGuerila, I can taste the difference. If bee line has a taste I have not yet pin pointed it. It is much more subtle than butane. This really comes through at the end of the bowl when the weed tastes it's worst. Using the bee line and using a butane lighter you can really tell what the butane tastes like.

Cornflake, I have thought of this I assure you. Given the way it is clipped in the picture the flame would simply be extinguished once it reached the clamped part of the string. I really never let it get to this point anyways so its not much of an issue. I have not had a problem with this method thus far.

Bleezie, I spent about $15 bucks on materials. Ten for the beeswax, 5 for the string. I have made 6 batches of bee line so far and still have at least half my string left, and more than half the beeswax. I definitely think it's a better value than buying the Bee Line. Figuring out your own way to store it is also an interesting aspect.

Stoner4Life, it's really not a hassle. I didn't say it was unhealthy, just that it tasted like doodoo. You don't really notice until you aren't actually smoking with butane.

NiteTiger, I really wouldn't leave the string burning between uses. It's not much trouble picking it up and lighting it again. A good alternative if you are going to be chilling and smoking a bowl for a minute is to light a (preferably beeswax) candle and then use that to re-light the bee line. The bee line people actually suggest this method.

Thanks for the comments. :) Stoner bomb. lol

Paz, thanks. :smoke:

CaptainStoner, helloooo! Good to see you here. Thanks for the post.

MrBongjangles, I'm surprised you haven't noticed the lack of the taste of butane when you try smoking with bee line. I'm unaware of the flavor you get from the bee line. If people were dying from using bee line I think we would have heard. For me, I can taste the difference so I don't need research to tell me. Just makes sense that if it tastes cleaner then it probably would be cleaner.

I'm also surprised that you haven't noticed when you pack single bong loads that the end of the bowl tastes like death. If you pack an entire bowl (more than just one hit) and take just one good rip, never actually turning the bowl to ash it will taste much much better. I used to pack single rips until I realized the poor flavor the end of the bowl has.

I also realized this is a big problem with gravity bongs, and one of the reasons why it doesn't matter (regarding taste) what type of weed you use in one. The end of the bowl tastes like shit and it doesn't matter if you smoke with bee line or butane.

Also, I manage to light the string every time and I haven't yet lost my mind. :yoinks: It's a small sacrifice for a big result. If I didn't think so I wouldn't have taken the time to make the bee line, or taken the time to make this thread.

Mr. Tony....

GrüneErd, don't dismiss something before you even have the chance to try it. You could always try a pack of bee line before you tried to make it yourself. Simple doesn't suit everyone. :) Thanks for the comments.

Panopticist, I'm doubting you read anything I wrote. I have a volcano. While it's a great tool and it certainly has it's uses, it's not the same as straight up smoking weed. Fifteen dollars to make a ton of bee line is not comparable to a $400-600 vaporizer.

Jahbrenz, are you saying that you use that thing to smoke and nothing else? I dunno about you but I still smoke joints, blunts, bowls, vape, gbong, whatever. I'm all about variety and this is just something else for people to try. If you have not tried bee line I suggest you do, and I'll do the same for the Hakko.

Is it listing a 4th unaccessible page for anyone else? Kind of did get turned in to a vaporizer discussion because of my title in the comment. Regardless I really do think this is a viable method for smoking and is worth trying at least once before you dismiss it. Hopefully we can get some posts of people who actually gave it a shot.

Thanks for the comments all.

-Wesley Pipes :joint:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
We don't smoke hemp - we smoke kind buds,

Haha! Yah man, yall smokin stems! Still gettin some toxins and I heard stems fuck with your sperm too.
Thats why I use the BEST method....
First you get 2 sticks from an african green walnut tree(u can get um on e-bay), make sure they are dry.
Then rub put the sticks between your hands and roll them against each other at high speeds, it takes about 12 minutes but it should catch on fire(it burns your hands a little but that the cost of pure smoke).
At this point you should have a Maccaranian squawlimbuu ostrich feather(also found on ebay).Make sure its a breast feather, the others are to oily.
Light the feather with the african green walnut branches, then set the feather on your bowl. Lightly blow out so just a slight breeze but not enough to move the feather goes up thru the weed and out, this should make the feather ingulf in a fast flame and desinigrate, now quickly inhale and the flame should catch the weed. You only have about a millisecond so make sure you inhale imediatly after you blow out on the feather, otherwise you must repeat the process...
This method works... unfortunatly I still caught Lung cancer (breathed in a fungus gnat)
Hope this helps, Peace!

NiteTiger

Veteran
Haha! Yah man, yall smokin stems! Still gettin some toxins and I heard stems fuck with your sperm too.
First you get 2 sticks from an african green walnut tree(u can get um on e-bay), make sure they are dry.
Then rub put the sticks between your hands and roll them against each other at high speeds, it takes about 12 minutes but it should catch on fire(it burns your hands a little but that the cost of pure smoke).
At this point you should have a Maccaranian squawlimbuu ostrich feather(also found on ebay).Make sure its a breast feather, the others are to oily.
Light the feather with the african green walnut branches, then set the feather on your bowl. Lightly blow out so just a slight breeze but not enough to move the feather goes up thru the weed and out, this should make the feather ingulf in a fast flame and desinigrate, now quickly inhale and the flame should catch the weed. You only have about a millisecond so make sure you inhale imediatly after you blow out on the feather, otherwise you must repeat the process...
This method works... unfortunatly I still caught Lung cancer (breathed in a fungus gnat)
Hope this helps, Peace!

Oh my god, that one got me Mo! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

WesleyPipes

Hope this helps, Peace!

Hope you are having fun trolling my thread. Thanks for the post.

:rolls eyes:

Ipsissimus

Some people have mentioned using candles - virtually all are made with paraffin, from petroleum byproducts. When burned, many hydrocarbons including carcinogens are released.

stick with beeswax or soywax.

on beeswax (here):

Most candles are made with paraffin, a petroleum by-product, which is not natural and is unhealthy to burn. To prepare it for candle making, it is chemically bleached and hardened, then artificially scented. Burning paraffin emits harmful, black soot and pollutes the air.

Currently, there are no regulations in the U.S. on disclosing ingredients on candle labels. You may find candles labeled "beeswax" that are made with paraffin, or other candle waxes, and contain as little as 1% beeswax. We are very proud to say that we use 100% beeswax in all of our candles, with the exception of a select few that are a blend of 50% beeswax and 50% soy wax, and are noted as such. The soy wax is added to help with the burn quality of certain candles.

Soy wax is a natural, eco-friendly, and renewable alternative to paraffin wax. Oil is extracted from the soybeans and hydrogenated. This process alters the melting point of the soy oil, making it a solid at room temperature. Our soy wax is made from soybeans grown by farmers in the United States. In contrast to paraffin, soybeans are a renewable resource; while global reserves of oil continue to shrink, the American farming industry can continue to supply the demand for soybeans. Soy wax is a very clean burning wax, with reduced carbon buildup and no pollutants. With the many different types of waxes available, soy wax is an excellent, all-natural option.

Beeswax, the purest of all candle waxes, is a product of the sustainable industry of beekeeping. The simple filtration of beeswax is a natural process that uses no chemicals and very little energy.

Beeswax is naturally aromatic, infused with the sweet, subtle scent of honey. Being nontoxic and nonallergenic, beeswax candles burn clean and soot free. While burning, they release negative ions, just as seashores or rainstorms do. These negative ions improve air quality by eliminating pollutants and allergens from the air that we breathe.

The high melting and burning temperature of beeswax translates into exceptionally long burn times. While burning, their golden flames glow with the same energy and spectrum of light as the sun.

Last edited:

killa-bud

Veteran
if you had a blind taste test on what ignited your bud,i bet almost no one can tell the diffrence

WesleyPipes

How about I make a thread where all the people who have never tried bee line can talk about how horrible it is...

At this point I really don't care what you have to say if you haven't tried it. Go be rude somewhere else please.

:mad:

WesleyPipes

Some people have mentioned using candles - virtually all are made with paraffin, from petroleum byproducts. When burned, many hydrocarbons including carcinogens are released.

stick with beeswax or soywax.

on beeswax (here):

Most candles are made with paraffin, a petroleum by-product, which is not natural and is unhealthy to burn. To prepare it for candle making, it is chemically bleached and hardened, then artificially scented. Burning paraffin emits harmful, black soot and pollutes the air.

Currently, there are no regulations in the U.S. on disclosing ingredients on candle labels. You may find candles labeled "beeswax" that are made with paraffin, or other candle waxes, and contain as little as 1% beeswax. We are very proud to say that we use 100% beeswax in all of our candles, with the exception of a select few that are a blend of 50% beeswax and 50% soy wax, and are noted as such. The soy wax is added to help with the burn quality of certain candles.

Soy wax is a natural, eco-friendly, and renewable alternative to paraffin wax. Oil is extracted from the soybeans and hydrogenated. This process alters the melting point of the soy oil, making it a solid at room temperature. Our soy wax is made from soybeans grown by farmers in the United States. In contrast to paraffin, soybeans are a renewable resource; while global reserves of oil continue to shrink, the American farming industry can continue to supply the demand for soybeans. Soy wax is a very clean burning wax, with reduced carbon buildup and no pollutants. With the many different types of waxes available, soy wax is an excellent, all-natural option.

Beeswax, the purest of all candle waxes, is a product of the sustainable industry of beekeeping. The simple filtration of beeswax is a natural process that uses no chemicals and very little energy.

Beeswax is naturally aromatic, infused with the sweet, subtle scent of honey. Being nontoxic and nonallergenic, beeswax candles burn clean and soot free. While burning, they release negative ions, just as seashores or rainstorms do. These negative ions improve air quality by eliminating pollutants and allergens from the air that we breathe.

The high melting and burning temperature of beeswax translates into exceptionally long burn times. While burning, their golden flames glow with the same energy and spectrum of light as the sun.

A fantastic post. Very good information.

Now I know where I can find some beeswax candles to light my bee line. Thanks. :)

melvin2

Sorry, I should have said earlier that I intend to try this and sounds interesting. All the vaporizor talk of $300+ and I was on autopilot explaining my $100 DIY vaporizor. Now I want to try a beeswax candle too.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Panopticist, I'm doubting you read anything I wrote. I have a volcano. While it's a great tool and it certainly has it's uses, it's not the same as straight up smoking weed. Fifteen dollars to make a ton of bee line is not comparable to a $400-600 vaporizer.

Then you would be wrong, which begs the question: Did you read what I wrote? You know, that part about paying less than $100 for a vape? Paying $400 for a vape is downright foolish, you can find comparable products for much much less and save that extra cash for growing supplies or beer.

Sorry dude, if you ignite bud, it will not taste as pure as it would if you vaped it. Besides, there are even cheaper ways to get a pure hit for less than $15, if you insist on igniting your bud. There are a lot of cats on here that use a magnifying glass or a glass rod to light their bowls, I'm sure that you can find either one for less than $8. Plus, you don't smoke wax.

Nice write-up and all, I just don't get the point.

WesleyPipes

Then you would be wrong, which begs the question: Did you read what I wrote? You know, that part about paying less than $100 for a vape? Paying $400 for a vape is downright foolish, you can find comparable products for much much less and save that extra cash for growing supplies or beer.

Sorry dude, if you ignite bud, it will not taste as pure as it would if you vaped it. Besides, there are even cheaper ways to get a pure hit for less than $15, if you insist on igniting your bud. There are a lot of cats on here that use a magnifying glass or a glass rod to light their bowls, I'm sure that you can find either one for less than $8. Plus, you don't smoke wax.

Nice write-up and all, I just don't get the point.

I have never heard of a product that stood up to the Volcano in level of quality. If so it's not nearly as popular as the Volcano. I go to head shops, I browse forums, I shop stores online. Granted I have a volcano and I'm not in the market I feel the Volcano IS worth $400 dollars and most likely IS the best option for a vaporizer.

Regardless of this, smoking weed is an entirely different feeling than vaporizing. The only way I would exclusively vaporize is if I had a medical condition that didn't allow me to smoke. Vaporizing has it's place but it's not a smoking replacement in my mind. I still love the practice of smoking and I appreciate the different feelings I get from doing each.

Now, your alternative if I want to smoke weed by burning it is that I should get a magnifying glass? I understand the solar hit and why it's pure but you honestly think thats a reasonable option? So what happens if it's night and I want to hit my bowl? What if I don't feel like crouching over by my window holding a magnifying glass waiting to take a hit?

Read the posts in THIS THREAD about how beeswax is a completely natural substance. Not to mention that I'm sitting here telling you that the reason I took the time to do it is the difference in taste.

"I just don't get the point"

Read. :mad:

junior_grower

thank you for this post. I did not make mine instead I bought some ( too many plants right now). I have now started using it with my cigars as well. Thanks its great

WesleyPipes

Sorry, I should have said earlier that I intend to try this and sounds interesting. All the vaporizor talk of $300+ and I was on autopilot explaining my $100 DIY vaporizor. Now I want to try a beeswax candle too.

I'm interested to know how it turned out for you. If you noticed a difference in taste? Was it difficult to make? Was it worth the hassle?

Thanks for the comments. :yes:

you can probably make one with the rest of your beeswax brick. all you need is a candle mold and a wick...right?

EDIT:
if you're lazy, this one looks sweet... http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=309495

That's an idea. I think just having beeline is more important than how I light it though. I think I'd rather preserve the beeswax I have for making bee line. Also that company looks very reputable and I wouldn't mind supporting them. Good thought though.

Thanks for the post. :)

-Wesley