What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY: 2 Super Simple KISS Systems

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Maybe you had something toxic on the waterfall system. I always let the water fall over the hydroton with no side efects. In fact also like the sound of the water flowing back into the reservoir, it's quite relaxing.

Maybe you had some salts build up on that lava rock and the water have disolved them, increasing the PPM and/or altering the pH.

I hope that all of your girls will recover quickly.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for commenting, but not in this case. Same lava rock, same nutes. I did check pH this morning. It's fine, too

Roots were very comfortable being fed the way they were: growth was amazing. Then they were shocked, being out of their 24/7 bubbler for a good while (~ 1 hour), although I did spray tops and roots periodically, they never dried out. Same nutes were used, so nothing really different. One plant is semi-back- the leaves are a bit droopy where they were reaching towards the lights. Shock is the only thing I can think of.

Oh, and I did clean & flush the water fall prior to use

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good News and Bad

Good News and Bad

Here are today's pics, plus a couple from 2 days ago from my hybrid bubbler system

The plants in hpa are doing quite well, as are the 2 in my DIY 21st Century F & D- both of which are females.

Bubbler Tent

Before and after screwing up by changing the nute delivery system. They were doing so fn sweet, why, oh why couldn't I leave well enough alone?

Fortunately, one of them has mostly recovered with at least the top primary leaves reaching up once again

Moral of the story, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Before and After photos in next post

HPA & F & D

First 2 pics are F & D (both 15" tall), the others in HPA ~ 8-10" tall. Note, the wilted plant did not recover, so I heavily trimmed back and moved it from my Bubbler and put it in hpa to see whether it will come back. Nothing ventured... I swapped it with what appears to be a male. Male now in a easier to control environment

View attachment 185701 View attachment 185702

View attachment 185703 View attachment 185704

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
She's Alive!

She's Alive!

Moving the near dead plant to hpa turned out beneficial. I heavily cut off her primary leaves and secondary branching. This morning, a few branches are perking up, as is the main stem. Be interesting to see what happens next- lots of new shoots I hope

I also cut ~ 50% of the roots off due to being too wet. In hpa, they get light mist of nutrients every 8 minutes

Sigh, one the plants in my F & D is a Hermie. Soon to be coming out of the tent

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
HPA Roots + Recovery Photo

HPA Roots + Recovery Photo

I didn't take pics of the plants which are now 6-8" tall with lots of secondary growth. Now that the root system is established with ample surface area for the atomized nute mist to cling to, they are about to take off

Also a pic of the near-dead plant just 48 hours after being moved to hpa

View attachment 185977 View attachment 185978

View attachment 185979

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hempfield

In retrospect, you might be right. Even though I pre-cleaned the waterfall, some toxic residue must have remained. I discovered this when looking at the roots, which turned dark brown, where they were very light cream. New roots breaking through are light cream color.

Most of the leaves on healthiest of the two is now reaching up toward the lights.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good News and Bad

Good News and Bad

The Bad news is I have another hermie. I may have figured out why (who knows), but it is too soon to tell. Those 2 plants were transferred to my DIY F & D rig when ~ 4" tall. I had cleaned and sterilized the lava rock with bleach. Now I did soak and rinse the rock several times, but in checking the pH of the recirculating rez, it was ~ 10, which is bad, um-k. Even though I flushed the system several more times, the later to be revealed damage showed itself.

I will know better once the currently female plants in my 2 other systems (HPA & Hybrid Bubbler) stay that way. Both have separate rezes. SHIT, I added some clean lava to my Hybrid Bubbler just prior to plant wilt and one pretty much dead. Hmmmm further evidence?

Good News

The other plant in the Hybrid Bubbler is doing just fine, though on the squat side, it is loaded with secondary branching. Here's hoping it stays female. I also moved another plant there to take the dead plant's place.

Pics 3-4 The 2 'RUNTS' in my hpa are rockin it, both now some 12" tall, also loaded with secondary branching.

Hybrid Bubbler

View attachment 186821 View attachment 186822

HPA under HOT5s

View attachment 186823 View attachment 186824

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rethink Everything

All these ancient sightings and geometric patterns (Sacred Geometry) symbolise unseen forces at work. We are being lied to by the media. Modern archaeologists don't know what they're talking about. "The Ancients" were not stupid or primitive. We just failed to de-code this knowledge conveyed in signs, symbols and ancient artwork. This kind of information is kept hidden from the public.

Scientists dont know what holds the universe together, the answer is sound and unseen forces. Matter is governed by sound frequencies. There is much more to life than we can perceive with our 5 senses. The question then becomes "who or what governs unseen forces?" What is behind the symmetry throughout nature? (Golden Ratio, Phi, Fibonacci Sequence etc.) It simply cant be just coincidence, in my opinion there is an intelligent mind / consciousness behind all this that keeps it all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYDwW...ayer_embedded#!

FYI the hermie saga continues. 2 more are showing balls, 3 still unclear- 2 of those are under the leds

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
LED Tent Update

LED Tent Update

I did some bulb swapping today + pics to document. Using a 4 bulb vanity, but will replace it with either 2 @ 3 bulb (which I have waiting) or a very simple DIY board.

While the vanities are quick and dirty, the downside is that the sockets are too far apart- 6" on center. Hoping the Y adapters will fill in the gaps, but it depends on where the Y makes contact with the socket. A DIY board, allows me to move the socket's centers closer.

Notice that the one 'Y' I am using is 90* out of where I want them, PLUS, each Y is 90* which is too wide. Looks like single sockets on ~ 4" centers is what's needed, or two boards (or vanities) side by side but staggered to minimize the lighting gaps.

Still in anticipation of plants sex, although whichever shows is not cast in stone, as I now have 3 and counting from my HOT5 tent

The shorter & bushier is ~ 15", the taller, 3" internodes is ~ 18". The leaf I have my hand under is longer and wider than my hand with fingers spread wide

I moved bulbs around as well as changed some out.

L to R: 5w WW- Y with 2 @ 3w (ww + day light) + 26w Repti-Glo + 50 watt Basking Spot

View attachment 187170 View attachment 187171

View attachment 187172

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Playing With Spectrums

Playing With Spectrums

Since adding more cool white ~ 5 days ago, my fat plant has grown some 6". She is now ~ 24" (~60cm) with longer (~3") internodes. The one next to her grew much taller to where I had to move her to my other tent late yesterday. Not sure yet whether it's M or F, definitely Sat dom.

The Transfer

had to pull the roots from the hybrid bubbler screen, then transplant into Air Pot + Lava rock. This morning it is nice and perky, zero signs of droop/shock.

What I am deducing is that the ability to shift spectrums during grow is beneficial. Since I use regular bulbs I simply replace ww with cw or vice versa) and observe for a few days.

LED Tent

Indica Dom

This morning I shifted the spectrums back to more red with warm white leds. Will be lowering on cycle another hour to 11/13
for ~ 5 days then finish at 10/14

View attachment 187837 View attachment 187838

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Friday Morning Update

Friday Morning Update

It's about to get exciting. Looks like 3 plants are female, so phew

Cut light back to 11 hours yesterday.

Need to add 2 more bulbs to my HOT5 to boost budding

Hybrid Bubbler

See Pic 1-2

View attachment 188065 View attachment 188066

I had to move the plant on the right from previous pics as it was growing past the light fixture. Now in my 21st Century F & D

Remaining plant had a nice growth spurt, but still no pistils. I cut the light back to 11 hours on.

21st Century F & D

Pic 3 View attachment 188067

Plant I moved from Hybrid Bubbler transitioned without stress and is doing really well. She (assuming) is Sat dominant. I plan to cross her too. Hope to get a 3-4ft plant but bushie

The Indica dom plant that was in there was a hermie, but transitioned to a male. It is now outside where I am collecting its' pollen.

HPA

I am excited how well this is going after I got off my lazy ass and covered the top with HD Al foil.

Hoping a growth spurt is at hand

View attachment 188068

Plan to pollinate several lower branches on the 2 best girls

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not seeing plants fattening up as quick as I think they should, so I increased ppm from ~ 600 to 700 on the way to 800 by Friday

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Welcome

HOT5 V LED

Exact same nutes

The HOT5 3/4 plants have been flowering for ~ 7 days. The forth was moved from the LED tent ~ 2weeks ago- she is very sat dom (assuming she stays a she). She has a few pistils but no clusters. The lone LED plant is bushie as can be, but still no pistils

Picked up 3 more Utilitech 7w led with non-removable globes @ $9.95; the identical ww were $19.95!

Yesterday I added 2 more Y sockets (only one with the second bulb). Don't know what took me so long to realize that the Ys allow me to angle the bulbs, even if it's just one bulb. So now I have 3 Ys, 2 with 3-4w ww/cw leds and one with ww + 7w Cool White- that one firing backwards, away from the plant.

I noticed the side away from the bar was behind, so this morning I moved the bar to the opposite side, and will do that until I get another bar up and running

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
CROSSING THE CROSS

CROSSING THE CROSS

The 4 female plants are all F1 from my first cross. I have also collected pollen from a 2ft Ind dom male to do a second cross.

It is interesting to see 4 totally different expressions of the first (F1) cross.

1. Indica dom small size but no side branching, buds up against the main stalk
2. Indica dom short some side branching
3. Sat dom tall with very long branches
4. Indica dom but 26" tall, very bushie, loads of 6-10" secondary branching

All 3 plants (^1-3) under the HOT5 are finally budding, though the Sat dom is behind. The 4th plant (under leds) is just starting to bud. It is by far the bushiest of the 4, and is now 26"+ tall with a pistil ball on top, so not likely to grow much taller.

In ~ 7 days of increased ppms (to ~800) plants took off. Next time I will make the move from 600- 800 sooner since they responded so well to it. And no leaf tip burn

Pics later, probably wait until Friday, just so the buds will be a bit fuller

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reusing Nutrients from HPA

Reusing Nutrients from HPA

In Veg Only

When the root mass is young (small) over 90% of the nutes fall to the bottom without being utilized.

Although HPA is D2W, I collect the runoff in a 2G bucket. At some point, I check and adjust its' pH and ppms and return to the rez one time.

I could reuse it over and over, until the root mass matures, but I err on the side of caution. I use that runoff outside on my non medicinal plants.

This saves considerable money on nutes.

Now that the 2 HPA plants are ~ 7 days in flower, I will only use fresh nutes one time before dumping

F & D and Hybrid Bubbler

In F & D I use a 2G outboard rez; in the Hybrid Bubbler I only use ~ 1 gallon. Due to the small rez volume, from mid-flower on, it is important to check pH & ppms every day.

Since switching to HR VEG+BLOOM (love it!), so far, the rez has remained stable, but the bud sights are small at this point. Once they get bigger I will check pH/ppms daily and expect to dump nutes every ~ 3days.

If you run larger rezes this can vary, but be mindful that from mid-flower on, plants dump a lot of waste through the root system + they will be sucking up a lot of water, so 800ppm can quickly become 1000+, or higher.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts