What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	416.2 KB ID:	17805118
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	208.2 KB ID:	17805119

Trying to get used to this new format. This is the room currently. Have the 2 x Mars Hydro still hanging and turned to about 30% on each unit. Trying to get things to stretch and fill in a bit still.

On the far right are 3 x Snomoji #18, which is also whose plant structure you are looking at. I expect her to be pure fire. Snomoji was made by Genetic Freaked. I expect she'll run in the 9wk range.

The other 9 are Fam95 #2. She's likely going 10wk this time. Her trichs were a bit too clear still for my liking. I'm really looking forward to more or less a full room of her - it's going to be fun looking at all the sparkles.

dank.Frank

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Yes I have been following a conversation in another thread on that exact topic. Someone was saying how LED grows require higher temps to get the metabolism of the plant going properly. Same thing with co2 enrichment, you need to raise temps, increase nutes and waterings to take advantage of the co2 boosted plant. I guess the plant is in overdrive so to speak.

So what happens with LEDs that already require higher temps and then you add co2. Do you then run temps higher still?

I guess this will be process of trial and error as LEDs are so recent.

Soil temp, air temp down low by the leafs, or water temp? I am using VPD charts and trying to stay 74-78*F, 50-65% Rh. The CO2 in the tent stays over 500, which may be the soil (only 4 ea 7 gallon bags. I found my reservoir water to be way too warm this afternoon for some reason, and iced it down.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So. What's up? What's going on? Where is my head at?

A lot to discuss. First - I do have new genetics, vegging, needing to be transplanted.

2 x Karma Genetics - Bandaid Haze #7 x A5 fems
3 x MeltingPot - Original Diesel Bx1 = Diesel x (Diesel x Sour D Bx2) - 2 of these are male. 1 is female. One male - smells like straight up gas. Just wanted to peek into the line and see a lady or two.

FAM95

#2, #5, #7 - have been kept and the others culled. #3 threw some nanners during flower, but was light stressed - even bleached a tad bit. All the same, a seed was found in her. I'm not going to complain! #4 was probably the best of those that got culled. Smoked like a mix of #2 and #1. I enjoyed it, but it lacked terps and yield compared to the siblings. #6 was a short stocky runt that turned into a great looking Afghani type plant. She had the earthy spice of an Afghani, but in terms of a good indica, there are certainly better than this particular example of a plant that leans indica. #1 never rooted and never revegged. I'd not have culled her immediately by choice, in all fairness - she was the frostiest of all the siblings. She had a more pronounced lemon hash flavor but her high left a lot to be desired, oddly. Not full on faux frost, but I was expecting to be flattened by her and quite frankly, #2 walks all over her in pretty much every department.

#2 - Is an I95 leaning plant. It's crazy dense. Crazy frosty. Crazy strong. Yields great. Terps - Onion, Garlic on the front end, chem notes in the middle with a mildly sweet, smooth lemon on the back end. Think fruit stripes gum - but just the chalky sweet lemon note. There is a reason I am basically mono-cropping her this round.

#5 - Is unlike anything I really expected from the line. She looks like a mix of Chem 3 and Chem 4 - and if you smell her, you'd think she was 100% pure Chemdog...as in, ask which cut is she. She has this metallic copper note upfront that is mixed with pure acid chemdog funk, with a lemon, black pepper back end. Growing, she smelled very earthy but as she has cured in the jars - she's just taken on so much character. The thing I said is odd about her - I took her 86 days. She was already the last thing in a room that was otherwise empty for 2wks. She had to come down. After she dried and had 2 weeks in the jars, I put her under a scope and saw her trichs were still 70% clear, with some maybe 15% mixed cloudy/clear, and a few more mixed clear/cloudy/amber. She could potentially have a full maturity of 13.5-14wks. She smokes like a sativa as is, but I feel she has a lot more to offer yet. THIS - is the main reason I kept her. I have to see her at her full potential. Her high, is strong and can be very up. Not paranoid or edgy or uncomfortable. She's active. Social. Sort of puts your mind in a spin. The thing is, you don't really realize it. It all seems - very normal. Then suddenly, out of now where - you just aren't high anymore. Everything is suddenly normal - and it kinda sucks. Bad. The high just dumps you off on the side of the road leaving you standing there in a WTF just happened sort of shock. It's a VERY interesting high. It's quite powerful and unlike any plant I've experienced in what is pretty much a pure chemdog line, if you consider that OG is mothered by Chemdog '91. - The truth is, this plant needs hit with variety of haze pollens to see how she plays.

#7 - It's a great plant. Yields fantastic - just like the other 3. She has what I consider, to be the most friendly, most comfortable, most enjoyable high - of the three plants I've kept. She also has the best flavor. She has that bleachy/soured milk chemdog funk. Has the same calyx and bud stack/structure you'd expect to see on a Sour Diesel cross - but there is no ECSD in this mix. This lends to it being more of a Chemdog D / OG type of plant. The buzz - is like putting on a warm blanket and sitting by a fire. It's perfect to just unwind and relax for a bit. The high isn't sullen or introverted or fukitol - it's not a couch lock dumb you down end of day plant - it just seems to take the urgency out of things and lowers the mental pressure levels. I can only compare the effects to having had a perfect meal - and the terminology, "meal satisfaction" - as it applies to being wholly contented - except this is the cannabis version of that. The only down side to her - the buzz doesn't seem to really last more than an hour. No real legs. However, I don't find that to be a problem because she fades very seamlessly into the background and just gently releases you back into a normal state - making it a very functional, very good quality buzz. Come home from work and blaze. Take the edge off. Get back on your feet and get a few things done still. She is really tasty too. She also tends to increase libido. I think I want to make a FAM95 #2 x FAM95 #7 fem seed line, for some vaulted freezer seeds in case I ever mess up and lose something.

------

When sorting the FAM95, I had made mention of and marked what eventually became #2 - 15 days after the seed had germinated.

I wanted to attempt to repeat this sort of feat, however, intentionally, and with a gene pool I know.

Snomoji #18

40 plants. 22 male. 18 female. All males culled. All females, but 1 - culled - nothing flowered. I used a strict set of criteria to narrow down the females. Am I foolish to expect this plant to be pure fire?

The parent lines are tested and historically have produced great offspring. The male comes from an old Stank Bros line and the female has been used by nearly everyone and their grandmother to produce seeds at one time or another. This gave us the ability to see how offspring based on a male from an old Stank Bros line compares to the offspring put out by other breeders using the same mother.

Snomoji = Wedding Cake x [GG4 x (GROM/Digi Bx1)] ie SnoMonkey

If I like the Snomoji #18, I'm going to make a fem line - Wedding Cake x SnoMonkey #2 ("sex monkey" pheno) - and sort a few fems. If I like those, I just might share a few. I do have that 100k views gift to fulfill, after all.

Things are moving forward. Just sharing some thoughts while vegging. I expect we'll trigger flower this weekend. I'm excited to see a room full of flowers again. 9 x FAM95 #2 and 3 x Snomoji #18. This is an exciting round for me. I honestly expect I'll finally hit my 2# goal.

dank.Frank

El Timbo

40 plants. 22 male. 18 female. All males culled. All females, but 1 - culled - nothing flowered. I used a strict set of criteria to narrow down the females. Am I foolish to expect this plant to be pure fire?

And if it is you'll never know if one of the other 17 might have been better. I'm interested to know your selección criteria in veg if you don't mind sharing it.

Last edited:
G

...I honestly expect I'll finally hit my 2# goal...

I'm sure you'll hit it, too...maybe even surpass it by 25-30%. That bed is looking primed, so clean and uniform and healthy. I'm really pulling for the Snomoji #18s, as I'd be very interested to see what comes of the potential sex monkey cross.

I think you hit it on the nose with choosing to (almost) mono the FAM95 #2, considering the pitfalls of #1. I have to thank you for turning me on to I-95 and everything MM and JJ-NYC have done and continue to do. It never ceases to amaze me how I can hear a name like Top Dawg seeds so many times over the years, but never pay them any mind until something catches my eye in one of these threads. I ordered a relisted pack of Chem de la Chem F2 yesterday and thought I'd drop in to send some good vibes your way.

:respect:

Peace

DM

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DoloDankness - Good to see you drop in. I'm starting to get a groove here with some great plants in the line up.

El Timbo - You are correct. I'll never know! But I will eventually if and when I sort more seeds. That is the true perk of making seeds, is the option to be absolutely ruthless in the selection process. I'm not going to say I saw her as the ideal plant I was after, but I'm comfortable with the notion she was more than likely the best of the batch. Primarily, what I was looking for, was a plant with double serrations. I didn't find a single one. I'm always looking for plants that have indication of influence from the Digi Bx1 male, that was sorted from Chili Berkster's work around 2009 or so. The Digi possess a unique high and terpene profile that I like to hunt for. This particular cut, was selected, primarily, because of her smells, resin content on leaves while vegging, and her growth profile. She is very gassy, vanilla, mixed berry black pepper spice. While growing, she reminded me constantly of the GSC Forum cut - but a slightly more indica type version. I honestly see next to zero GG4 in this plant. However, I do get a faint creaminess from her that I tend to associate with GG4 crosses that favor the Chem Sis in her equation. I expect her, to keep flowers close to the meristem on short stubby secondary branches that chunk up big time. I'm hoping she runs a bit faster in flower than cake.

DopeyMcSmoker - I hope so. It's a bit of a bizarre goal because I've have been an avid promoter of quality over quantity. Beds are a different game. This soil mix and recipe just crushes it. I went from getting .55-.68 GPW to getting well over 1 GPW - with an improvement in quality, honestly. I think some of that is due to advanced lighting spectrums such as the 315w CMH and modern LED tech.

I'm worried I've not given enough veg time this cycle to get the root mass and meristem thickness to carry the nutrients to support the flowers to get the size and the yield. However, I also don't want to waste time vegging material the lights won't reach only to have to strip 2/5ths of the plant during the flowering cycle. There is still a steep learning curve with the LED - I need to learn how to defoliate these ladies properly to take maximum advantage of the lights. I think that is where my focus is right now.

You're in the dank following along the I95 gene pool. Very well built and throws some gems. It's sometimes hard to rationalize $300 for a pack of seeds, but the results speak for themselves. I expect to have the #2 for many years to come. Worth every penny. Good vibes and good luck with the Chem de la Chem!

dank.Frank

G

The goal, to my mind, lies not so much in placing a number on the end result (e.g. harvest dry weight), but in the dialing of the numerous environmental and substrate inputs in such a way that facilitates the end result, regardless of what that dry weight ends up being.

Learning how to defol under the LEDs is new for me, too. I expect the light penetration will vary from plant to plant, so mono-cropping should go a long way to help you identify the ideal defol depth of the FAM #2. You could try different depths on different plants and choose the best to implement after this run.

At any rate, got the CDLC F2s today...like 6 or 7 days from order. Will be a couple months, but they're locked in for the next run.

Peace DM

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210329_203231598.jpg Views:	0 Size:	368.8 KB ID:	17819263
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210329_203250349.jpg Views:	0 Size:	374.8 KB ID:	17819264
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210329_203239974.jpg Views:	0 Size:	372.8 KB ID:	17819265

4 days into flower. Things filled in really well after a bit of super cropping was done on the middle plants, which you can see a slight height difference. You can also see that Snomoji is a bit more compact than the FAM95 #2. I will be putting a screen over them shortly. When should I do the first defoliation??? I really don't want to stunt them during stretch...

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, Unc. I guess that is a given. Went ahead and did what I would normally do. I don't really consider that defoliation as per what I see most people doing - ie stripping ALL fan leaves except maybe the 3-5 along the upper most part of the colas - which is what I feel like see in rooms where people promote the technique.

I don't feel I got carried away, but I think the quick shape up was already necessary. I didn't loose any canopy growth but thinned out a few thinner branches that just aren't going to end up reaching or are just sucking energy from a main or have another branch directly over them that will eventually over shadow it and limit is growth or crowd it out. I do know that saves energy that would have been otherwise wasted and can redirect it to where it's needed. Forming the frame of the fat sticky colas I hope to see forming in a few weeks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210330_011958185.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.2 KB ID:	17819369

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210330_013444563.jpg Views:	0 Size:	315.2 KB ID:	17819370
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210330_013404625.jpg Views:	0 Size:	351.4 KB ID:	17819371
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210330_013421553.jpg Views:	0 Size:	360.7 KB ID:	17819372

Oh yeah - I should mention. I did add some worms to the bed not too long ago. The shredded leaf matter is for them to feast on during the lights out cycle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210324_150552067.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.2 KB ID:	17819374

I think I'm on the right track...

dank.Frank

Bmac1

Veteran
Great looking canopy DF. I've not been adjusting as well or quickly to the new format but wanted to chime in on the defoliation. My Wedding Cake tent ,I hacked and tucked and plucked that bitch like no tomorrow and it still wasn't enough, lol.

I had planned on flipping and then doing a full strip at 2-2.5 weeks in and let it ride. I did a big strip twice by that time and a bit more since. I am now thinking I should have thinned it more and came higher up from the bottom. I still need to remove more fans up top.

When the VPD is where it needs to be and they are settled into a good volume of rich soil, seems like nothing will hold them back. Click image for larger version  Name:	20210330_084324.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.0 KB ID:	17819824 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210330_084506.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.5 KB ID:	17819825

genetic freaked

Veteran
Damn those things blew up after only 4 days!

I usually wait 3 weeks before defol. But then again that could be because I get lazy at the beginning of flower lol.

I hope snomoji catches up in stretch with the #2 so you can have a proper canopy. Looking like it’s going to be a great show.
I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to see snomoji at 3 weeks.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
trichrider - Thanks for the good vibes, man. Those worms were dug out of my veggie garden. The ground there is crazy fertile and when I weed, the birds swoop in and feast. Rather than sacrifice them all to the birds, I brought in some where around what had to be 100 or so. Not a lot, but eventually they'll sort of self perpetuate again. I'll be happy when I start seeing casting piles on the soil surface.

Bmac1 - Thanks for the pointers on the Wedding Cake. This Snomoji #18 really seems to have her frame, for the most part. I'm honestly really pleased with how the canopy shapes up with 12 plants. I've ran 4, 8, 32 - and 12, seems to be the sweet spot for amount of time needed to veg a full canopy vs what I like to see a plant look like before flipping. I need to see the stems start to expand and swell. I need to see the meristem(s) -if topped- take a new thickness and rigidity. These things indicate roots spread and nutrient uptake. So with 12 plants, that seems to happen right about the same time the canopy really fills in. It's taken a few runs to figure out exactly how many plants to run in this setup, but I think I've finally gotten it right.

genetic freaked - I'm not daily plucking and pulling, but I think I tend to work them fairly consistently up until week 3. Then I try to let them go until about week 5 or so before I start looking at budsites that just aren't going to perform and removing some branches. I get really nervous doing anything to stress them out when budset is just starting, because, that is usually when/if you see some balls dangling on lowers. I try not to encourage that - and let's be real, I don't care who the breeder is, it's cannabis - it can do some sensitive whack stuff for what seems to be no reason at all. I'm always checking lowers.

But yeah, I'm actually impressed with how much they've grown in the first week. I already have new roots coming out the bottom of the soil bed, which I usually don't see until about wk 3. The FAM95 girls are moving fast. Snomoji - is keeping up - not falling behind, but just staying a tad shorter. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see her stretch a bit longer into flower than the FAM95. Wedding Cake is sort of a notorious plant for being slow to start and then really kicking it into gear - I'm expecting the same behavior from #18 just because of her frame being so similar to her mother.

dank.Frank

Bmac1

Veteran
The point i was trying to make wasn't wedding cake specific. I guess I should have just said that I am defoliating more often and more aggressively since moving to LED and the plants don't skip a beat. I think I've taken too much and it turns out not enough.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right on. Noted. I've always been a huge promoter of the leaves being the energy conversion department of a plant. They absorb light and turn it into energy need to convert sugars into metabolic processes to produce flowers and resin and everything else. I'm fundamentally opposed to the idea of defoliation as a practice - it just seems SO very counter intuitive. However, I made a serious reconsideration while reading Scrappy Doo's thread and seeing him have a change of heart - especially considering, I know he has followed a lot of my advice in his journey over the years. It only seems sensible, when you know there is such similarity in approach, that when one says, wait a minute, I've been wrong and need to make this change - it seems sensible, to take that to heart and reexamine the fundamental principle.

With the transition to LED, I found that to be even more necessary to address and give credence too. I agree, I still feel as if I'm not doing enough, as per the defoliation mantra - and I think that is just because I still have that internal mental struggle between practices.

dank.Frank

thailer

I too have always felt like the leaves are important and the heavy defoliation is counter intuitive. I see people pluck almost every leaf off a branch except the last 1-2 nodes and at first I am shocked 😳 but the plants get really nice quality buds all the way down. Yield is supposedly improved and I was gonna bite the bullet and give her a whirl. It just seems wrong tho and I will defoliate a plant, post a pic and then people would say I have a ton left to take off. Gonna be a journey 😂