What's new

Distant Outdoor Plot, Small 15 plants, Watering suggestions?

V

vod

sb, maybe your surrounding veg is growing like crazy coz you put so much ferts under your plants (which then feeds the stuff around)? same with bug/disease issues. maybe too much of the good stuff? nitro maybe?
dunno, not my area of expertise, don't want to pick on you, just a thought.

variety?
random crosses from polish growers selected outdoors. stuff like Maroc, Easy Sativa, Shaman, Purple Passion, Purple Power etc. FMS and DP stuff. Durban, Grapefruit, White Widow crosses (molded like crazy, but spot is crazy wet, no way around spraying).
this year I have Bangi Haze, NepJam from ACE, GrapefruitxVictory, Bangi Haze x Guerilla Gold, Manitoba Medicine x Guerilla Gold, Bangi Haze x Purpurea Ticinensis and other mixes. Pretty random stuff. Some early, some mold resistant and some just coz I like the high or hope for a good one (happy and speedy sativa). I hope to narrow the selection down to 4-6 strains that I like and that perform well and don't finish all at the same time.
Last year the nicest and simultaneously earliest plant was a Easy Sativa cross (crossed with something early, most likely Maroc). Pine tar smell. C99xVictory and GfxVictory were good but a bit to late for my liking.
As you can see I'm basically a bag seed grower :smoke:
Just "random" stuff. I'm new to the hobby and have to find what I like and what performs in my environment.

Here the problem is too much water rather than too little. But season is long. Mild temps, though the day gets quickly short (50N).

microgram

Dope, :D. Love that I started this thread. You guys can bicker all you want, you both have supplied an abundant of good growing information, since it's all about geological location it all differs, because all of our locations differ. All that matters is that we're all out to do some good for this world, plant some carbon scrubbers! and smoke some dope! I think the more you two talk (everyone too!), the more questions I get answered. Because this thread, I had a lot more questions than just watering ones as you call all tell. haha

muchos appreciated guys/gals, throw hoards of information at me!! Do it! Every grower has unique situations, and I believe that I can learn from almost anyone here, so feel free to post and post again :).

I'll be back tomorrow with some more shit to write about, im going out to the plot in a few days, see how things are going. It's been raining here the past few days, and live has gotten the best of me. *thankfully the rain.. hopefully has helped me*

Peace for now :joint:

ug!

microgram

tsunami ;). hehe.

I think next year im going to have to hit up swamps and corn fields. But again, the marshes and corn fields are even farther away from this place I have right now. The only marsh and forestry near by are HUGE attractions and controlled by the government because of their very scarcity. There's nothing else like it around here, im in farm country, with little more than a few trees with a ton of stone mounds, and huge cities. The only place to grow is outside the city limits or else everyone from dick cheny to santa will be stompin on my grow grounds. Even if not all goes to plan this year, and all I walk out with is experience: I'll have learned a fuckload more than I would have ever imagined.

Cheers for now, and OG the GOVT :smoker:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
microgram said:
Dope, :D. Love that I started this thread. You guys can bicker all you want, you both have supplied an abundant of good growing information, since it's all about geological location it all differs, because all of our locations differ.
See, it wasn't about a difference in locations, as most true points apply across the board regardless of location...

Different environment is what is usually brought up after someone has spoken with authority about something which then turns out to be something they have no knowledge, exposure, or experience with, and "different environments" then becomes the defense.....

How ones gets them in dictates basically everything to follow......whether that be a west coast 400 gallon hole or a southeast shallow non prepped hole....

Even in the above, cases of sufficient rainfall, that does little good if they are not in right, and hole prepped to accommodate...

You mentioned going to check.....well, if there was a flaw in your prep, you might not be pleased with results...(or a flaw in any other aspect leading up to moment of viewing......)

Limiting visits, multi tasking, planning in advance, all again apply to anyone across the board, anytime.....(unless a spot which one feels is fine to approach several times a week or in a backyard.......)

Most of the time, I am sure most would agree, peoples problems come with them learning a seemingly insignificant detail after the fact, which in line with 6 others, results in a failure, but they refuse to see it was a problem with their preparation, education, or planning, and want to blame it on environment.....

You also have many times people declaring certain things an impossibility in their region and conditions, with others even from the same region and /or conditions doing it with success........

There is the "can't" crowd, and the can. Guess which ones are the ones who speak about things they have no experience with.....

In line with the above.....you may have problems......

Why?

Because you might have started plans or actions before getting the overview you needed, and, as above, left out a small step with would have played a larger role down the road.......it happens....to many......

If such does occur?.....Well, then ideally you pinpoint the error, note it, and continue learning for next season, most of the time being never enough time to prepare depending on ones plans.......

Growing a long term activity......Many speak of tweaking indoor, but few realize out kind of the same in many ways......ie: Many have success first time out....(many don't also), but few would state a "perfect" run and season......always a continual work of progress, season after season....(assuming ones spots and all details don't completely change.....which also happens, and is my world.....different people, different locations, different specifics sometimes not only every season, but every project contained within a season.......)

Of course, the importance of quite a bit in initial planning and prep is later, majority of the time, can't be "redone".......hence "how you get them in" essentially , from that point on, dictating your entire season to follow....

G

Like any farmer hoping for a harvest, I tend my plants badmf,

I cage them, snail bait and pesticide them and transplant.

38268ROBIN_019.jpg

and i care for them until this time of year when the staking is almost complete and growth is typical.

picture.php

Standing by for bug attacks.... theyre comming.

Im not sure where Julian got his rainfall amounts for my area, but today finishes the 3rd week without a drop. Im wondering how much longer the experts think this big thirsty girl and her friends can go? You see, big plants take lots of water and nutes. Scruff can get by on anything, but i aint a scruffer. If this was a set and forget plant she would be knee high

I started this week, because experience tells me that if they go without water any longer, maturation and yield will be effected.

Why don't you guys post up the results of your "set and forget" methods and harvest?

badmf

Yo bro I have posted...I put the "Hands Free Outdoor Grow" link in more than one but here it is again. The polymer, timer, rez, drip line deal DOES work!! Its old but tweeked a bit since and works great!!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=7468&highlight=hands+free+outdoor I won't post any pix from current endeavors until after they're harvested. All 32 gallon cans are placed in "cut-outs" (holes made in natural vegetation) polymers increased to 35% also made with nute water instead of plain ph'ed, hardware wire for racoon territory, deer fencing with serious corner posts and predator piss all around, foliar feeding more than past years, I go in once about every 5-6 weeks to re-apply camo flowers to new growth and adjust timers for heat waves/growth. But you could not do this and still be fine. Netting sprayed with bug spray a couple times then placed over will slow/stop insect attacks from "fliers". I get NO rain I repeat NO RAIN!!! If it does come it'll be when you don't want it, at harvest time, lol maybe I should move...hmmmm Oh and my plants are not flowering yet, yea yea more veg, more growth, more yeild!!!

antimatter

Veteran
running dripline on timers isn't true no maintenance that is just regular irrigation, what silverback is talking about is you can't just not water for 3 weeks if your not getting any rain for 3 weeks for the rest of the season you end up getting dwarfed plants which you don't want, unless your soil stays moist for those entire 3 weeks, but once again those big plants drink alot and even with hole packed with polymers the plants will just end up drinking it all up. For Julian who gets 1"+ of rain things work quite a bit differently.. I don't get rain often and when it comes it hardly does anything, the soil is dry again in a day, but obviously I can just grow in a wet area and have as much groundwater as I want.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, no maintenance is no maintenance. Rain merely an issue which seems to determine most of the time, but actually quite a few with as stated above, distant plots running irrigation. I think trip every 6 weeks more than falls under the no maintenance category.....

US monthly rainfall averages. Actually my current situations and most recent past don't even come close to highest. I'd say about average rainfall....3"+/- a month, with of course variation season to season...every season different.

Most seem to be preoccupied with surface conditions regarding moisture, especially with larger plants. If halfway decent native soil; 1. Your not only relying what on what is in hole. 2. Surface temps and conditions mean little. Humidity and evaporation a determining factor. I'll try and get a shot of a spot somewhere....surface dry, 100+ degrees and bone dry.......8" down? 65 degrees, cool and moist. (Which of course all goes back to your prep...hole,prep,native....I am sure many have had things go for 3 weeks without water that were far from "dwarfs"..:smoke: If fact, personally?, once things are well established and some size to them, the easier they seem to get through such periods if everything else in line (temps reasonable, humidity, etc.) Everything is relative. Situations are endless.

It's always surprising growers in general go by surface conditions to determine everything. Most of the time means nothing.

I had a extremely heavy rainstorm once early Sept (everything was more than established at that point late in year), and was more than enough to carry everything through to harvest, (reasonable temps and humidity), which I welcomed, as final product that much less worries.....

Verdict is in on no maintenance, hands free, set and forget....(over many years, developed many names :smoke:) Nothing here that hasn't been gone over 100 times in much greater detail.

antimatter

Veteran
Well, no maintenance is no maintenance. Rain merely an issue which seems to determine most of the time, but actually quite a few with as stated above, distant plots running irrigation. I think trip every 6 weeks more than falls under the no maintenance category.....

US monthly rainfall averages. Actually my current situations and most recent past don't even come close to highest. I'd say about average rainfall....3"+/- a month, with of course variation season to season...every season different.

Most seem to be preoccupied with surface conditions regarding moisture, especially with larger plants. If halfway decent native soil; 1. Your not only relying what on what is in hole. 2. Surface temps and conditions mean little. Humidity and evaporation a determining factor. I'll try and get a shot of a spot somewhere....surface dry, 100+ degrees and bone dry.......8" down? 65 degrees, cool and moist. (Which of course all goes back to your prep...hole,prep,native....I am sure many have had things go for 3 weeks without water that were far from "dwarfs"..:smoke:

It's always surprising growers in general go by surface conditions to determine everything. Most of the time means nothing.

I had a extremely heavy rainstorm once early Sept (everything was more than established at that point late in year), and was more than enough to carry everything through to harvest, (reasonable temps and humidity), which I welcomed, as final product that much less worries.....

Verdict is in on no maintenance, hands free, set and forget....(over many years, developed many names :smoke:) Nothing here that hasn't been gone over 100 times in much greater detail.

I can agree with that, hands free is always important to keep exposure time down, you can either go in run a pump flood everything and spend your time walking around every week or you can just set up some reservoirs/drip and go in real quick fill up the reservoirs and be out in minutes and come back a few weeks later.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But that's again addressing water...and no maintenance as I see it more of an efficiency and planning issue.....

The divide and peoples mindsets is often interesting.....it seems either you have people obsessed with the small details that miss the overview, or the other way around....

I think if more people aimed for a balance somewhere in between the 2...more would increase their success in one way or another, be more effective and efficient,etc....always room in any op, anywhere, anytime to achieve greater effectiveness and efficiency......always......

To me, it's purely out of necessity....,..ie: I know how and what has to be done, but I just do not have the time or manpower to do all, so, one way or another, solutions have to be created to enable all to be addressed.....

Water issues?.....luckily, something easily dealt with that falls low on list of concerns doe to regional.....

So, to me....I merely see no maintenance as a degree of efficiency and planning as opposed to some magical secret.....Me personally, my entire schedule continually takes into consideration weather, people, tasks, and so on to be able to schedule everything to be most favorable.....

You know...once again being something which I would think all should strive for, matter what or where or when they are running.....

PS or not.....it's a business....(if PS, one is still aiming for same goals as if not....time, quality, yield, efficiency, exposure, and so on.......)

"Well, I'm a "hobby grower" for ps only, so, doesn't apply, I don't care"....

Don't care about putting forth more effort than necessary?....don't care about devoting more time than necessary, which could be spent with loved ones?.....don't care about expenses which could be channeled to other things benefiting themselves and their families?....and on and on......

I think many more things apply across the board than most realize.....no matter who or what, large or small, etc....

That single trip one eliminates could be the one in which one would have had exposure...(I've had it happen actually.....)...

I believe constant tending to be far more detrimental than beneficial....

badmf

running dripline on timers isn't true no maintenance that is just regular irrigation, what silverback is talking about is you can't just not water for 3 weeks if your not getting any rain for 3 weeks for the rest of the season you end up getting dwarfed plants which you don't want, unless your soil stays moist for those entire 3 weeks, but once again those big plants drink alot and even with hole packed with polymers the plants will just end up drinking it all up. For Julian who gets 1"+ of rain things work quite a bit differently.. I don't get rain often and when it comes it hardly does anything, the soil is dry again in a day, but obviously I can just grow in a wet area and have as much groundwater as I want.

This is a comedy of excuses!! Common maintenance is YOU doing something, not a timer going on. This is laughable. :wallbash: You make statements without ever having DONE this... amazing!! BTW with sufficient containers or holes and properly applied polymers you could go longer than three weeks!! :yoinks:
Hey fellow growers if you don't go there period for a certain amount of time are you "doing any" maintenance? :noway: I didn't think so. I go in, as it is infrequent and have the ability to do so without issue. If I desired to I could adjust this system to NEVER go in, of course I would be curious come harvest time as to when to chop chop, lol. But lets agree to disagree as it seems you won't believe the folks who actually "DO" this!! :joint:

antimatter

Veteran
It takes some trial and error to see what micro climates work, and what kind of prep needs to be done, what strain is actually gonna be able to take you to harvest without molding away/finishing properly/quality my biggest problem is water and mold, if I have water available I have humidity and then I have mold, if I have no water available I don't have mold but I then have no water..the best medium I can think of is bringing the water to an area with low humidity, if I had a strain that could handle the high humidity that areas with water have Id be laughing. I have to choose very carefully, things can get very very wet come harvest and its no laughing matter...

antimatter

Veteran
This is a comedy of excuses!! Common maintenance is YOU doing something, not a timer going on. This is laughable. :wallbash: You make statements without ever having DONE this... amazing!! BTW with sufficient containers or holes and properly applied polymers you could go longer than three weeks!! :yoinks:
Hey fellow growers if you don't go there period for a certain amount of time are you "doing any" maintenance? :noway: I didn't think so. I go in, as it is infrequent and have the ability to do so without issue. If I desired to I could adjust this system to NEVER go in, of course I would be curious come harvest time as to when to chop chop, lol. But lets agree to disagree as it seems you won't believe the folks who actually "DO" this!! :joint:

I don't know where you live but 3 weeks is not gonna cut it here buddy, a clearcut 100+ degrees for 3 weeks will be bone dry for every single fricken day without Irrigation setup, there is absolutely no ground water whatsoever and no rain nothing to save your ass from irreversible doom.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
antimatter said:
It takes some trial and error to see what micro climates work, and what kind of prep needs to be done, what strain is actually gonna be able to take you to harvest without molding away/finishing properly/quality my biggest problem is water and mold, if I have water available I have humidity and then I have mold, if I have no water available I don't have mold but I then have no water..the best medium I can think of is bringing the water to an area with low humidity, if I had a strain that could handle the high humidity that areas with water have Id be laughing. I have to choose very carefully, things can get very very wet come harvest and its no laughing matter...
The 2 variances seem to be universal....water/mold for everyone....

The other problem (and I've been through this myself) is you start "chasing" it.....ie: Each and every season different for many places..(some not at all), and we start to "make adjustments", and, lo and behold, a slightly different season comes in which them shoots down those adjustments.....

I went through a period of several years doing that back when, and, eventually just gave up.....

Now most of the things I do are done early season to allow for a lot of variables, and strains I pretty do what I want, aside from finishing time....(Which again carries with it it's own set.......ie: My cut off is mid October.....well, some seasons Oct 1st it's over for any number of reasons.....sometimes I can go into November, but not going to bet on the latter any longer....)

Above references water.....and, nothing but benefit has come from me going 3 feet deep.....there are actually underground water sources sometimes even in desert conditions, so that goes hand in hand with a plant handling a drought period, etc......ie: I know that 2-3 weeks max after I put them in, tap is 3 feet....which again goes to surface conditions vs. at certain depths.....(I know, I know, more wide than deep, etc.....but if native soil not halfway decent, the bottom will indeed be the bottom......so....

I don't have pleasant harvest conditions myself.....had one year where come late Sept, had 2 day monsoon rains and almost 100 degrees..(was in other thread...maybe season before last or 2 before last).....the one after?...I believe was the heavy rains early Sept and then really nothing again....ie: One season harvest soaking and boiling, year right after great temps, no moisture, stunning product, and on and on....

Not making a judgment on you either way, just been there, and like many, have seen it all, you know.....somewhere in there you try for the happy medium to carry you fairly well across the board.....

Same issue with the monsters and topping (not).....some seasons great, some seasons doing almost 20hr duty coming in bracing things...which of course one can counter by fimming, going slightly later, strains, and many other things.....but, I don't consider going in harvest time maintenance.....ie: It's over, it's done, your wrapping it up.....that's the fun and relieving part for me :smoke:...Pre harvest, at least to me...be it in the form of simple checks, beginning your estimates (drying needs), bracing and such "all part of the game".....

But should be noted for smaller things,and all known fems....there have/are many times where I don't go back, period, until done.....ie: I know that no tipping issues, access limited and have to make the visit count,etc....

I've have locations on the urban side where plant and cut are the only entries to spot.....(and more often than not, those were finest product.....)

3 weeks in 100's definitely an issue for smaller things with less prep...but for larger, better hole, good native soil and reasonable humidity.....would be hard on plant, but possible........(again, your root temps not going to be in 100's, and, unless in desert humidity not going to have serious evaporation....native/surrounding will also determine what moisture pulled out if any......

My defining polymer moment (mentioned elsewhere).....had several spots...same things, same time....ran short and did a spot without them....were maybe 1 footers...weather turned against....rains missed....during that time maybe 90's but high humidity and polymer ones made it through about 2 weeks or so, while other ones fried quick..

Another angle of course is spot, rounding vegetation, and of course shading to any degree.....(I switched over to preferring partial shading if possible.....helps to cool spot (soil), gives the plant a break as far as assault (water, dietary issues).....and, from my experience, lot of these things don't take the toll on yield that is made to be......(pic above, organic no maintenance....no visits, partially shaded....that was part of a pretty heavy spot....I believe those were AK crosses.....99's,97's....I don't remember....)

So......you take into consideration all angles, plan accordingly, and, some might be seemingly insignificant issues, but, combine several of them, and can be the difference between favorable outcome, and unfavorable....

Many seem to think I operate in some moisture and temperature perfect environment from summer through harvest......far from it...I'll match notes against anyone....sure I have moisture available, but as above, with that carries mold issues, too much moisture issues, and of course every season different...and harvest season which could be 100 and rain Oct 1st, or 40's and rain Oct 1st, and everything in between......so...but, again.....one has hundreds of angles and approaches to utilize and combine to help themselves.....but you can't "chase it"....

No situation perfect.....all have their issues....most of the time the extreme from one side to the complete opposite other.....You do what you can, you prepare and plan and prep, and try not to "chase it".....nature of the beast....good seasons and bad seasons.....

G

badmf, I wish i could try your approach but our eradication flights are so intense that equipment or pots and fences would be seen. Daily flights, multiple choppers, multiple irradication agencies. I did notice that in the thread, you made several return trips which in my mind isnt "untended"

There have been several inferrences that cannabis that doesnt get proper moisture or rain will just be smaller with less harvest, but that if you have numbers of plants all will be ok.

Like corn, soy, sunflowers or any other crop im aware of, cannabis deprived of adequate moisture, especially during reproductive stages will perform just as those other crops. Poorly if at all. Corn will have few kernals on the cobs, soy has few beans if any, tobacco leaves are small and wont cure and if cannabis forms buds at all, they will be late, whispy and infrequent. Like those other crops, flowering is delayed dramatically if it occurs at all. Sunflowers denied moisture at the time of reproduction won't produce a flowering head .

After having drought here 5 of the last 9 years and the last 2 years having exceptional drought, ive learned that lesson well. Whats worse, even though the plant may be green and even grow a little, the damage is done and just like the other farmers in the area, there will be no harvest.

After enduring a few years of crop devastation, i know that everday that cannabis goes without adequate moisture equals a reduction in the growth and maturation of the plant. If enough days pass the damage is irreversable. The farmer down the road growing corn or tobacco has that same knowledge.

G

The reason i asked for pics is that from the days of overgrow until now, Ive yet to see a set and forget grow or the results of one. I can show you what cannabis looks like when it hasnt been watered adequately, but i would like to see a pic of the plants that survived the set and forget.

Here's a plant in the beginning stages of permanant damage. If this plant isnt provided water soon, the results will be irreversable. Once that point is reached, even if the plant is provided with adequate moisture, it wont mature in a timely and appropriate manner. With any crop, timming of moisture is critical to the plants development and if denied during critical growth phases, the plant will never recover.

38268silverback_075.jpg

Here is the result of watering a plant everyother day -2 gallons, during an extended period without rain. Even watering wont provide the necessary moisture as you can see by the brown leaves. If the plant had recieved no care or any measure of care other than daily, the plant wouldnt have survived at all. While the plant did mature, it was very late and instead of 10 oz's, i got 2. All plants, all strains responded the same way. Even under conditions of care, results are diminished. There would be no picture if the plants had been set and forget and i suspect that's why you dont see any posted. They didn't survive.

antimatter

Veteran
The 2 variances seem to be universal....water/mold for everyone....

The other problem (and I've been through this myself) is you start "chasing" it.....ie: Each and every season different for many places..(some not at all), and we start to "make adjustments", and, lo and behold, a slightly different season comes in which them shoots down those adjustments.....

I went through a period of several years doing that back when, and, eventually just gave up.....

Now most of the things I do are done early season to allow for a lot of variables, and strains I pretty do what I want, aside from finishing time....(Which again carries with it it's own set.......ie: My cut off is mid October.....well, some seasons Oct 1st it's over for any number of reasons.....sometimes I can go into November, but not going to bet on the latter any longer....)

Above references water.....and, nothing but benefit has come from me going 3 feet deep.....there are actually underground water sources sometimes even in desert conditions, so that goes hand in hand with a plant handling a drought period, etc......ie: I know that 2-3 weeks max after I put them in, tap is 3 feet....which again goes to surface conditions vs. at certain depths.....(I know, I know, more wide than deep, etc.....but if native soil not halfway decent, the bottom will indeed be the bottom......so....

I don't have pleasant harvest conditions myself.....had one year where come late Sept, had 2 day monsoon rains and almost 100 degrees..(was in other thread...maybe season before last or 2 before last).....the one after?...I believe was the heavy rains early Sept and then really nothing again....ie: One season harvest soaking and boiling, year right after great temps, no moisture, stunning product, and on and on....

Not making a judgment on you either way, just been there, and like many, have seen it all, you know.....somewhere in there you try for the happy medium to carry you fairly well across the board.....

Same issue with the monsters and topping (not).....some seasons great, some seasons doing almost 20hr duty coming in bracing things...which of course one can counter by fimming, going slightly later, strains, and many other things.....but, I don't consider going in harvest time maintenance.....ie: It's over, it's done, your wrapping it up.....that's the fun and relieving part for me :smoke:...Pre harvest, at least to me...be it in the form of simple checks, beginning your estimates (drying needs), bracing and such "all part of the game".....

But should be noted for smaller things,and all known fems....there have/are many times where I don't go back, period, until done.....ie: I know that no tipping issues, access limited and have to make the visit count,etc....

I've have locations on the urban side where plant and cut are the only entries to spot.....(and more often than not, those were finest product.....)

3 weeks in 100's definitely an issue for smaller things with less prep...but for larger, better hole, good native soil and reasonable humidity.....would be hard on plant, but possible........(again, your root temps not going to be in 100's, and, unless in desert humidity not going to have serious evaporation....native/surrounding will also determine what moisture pulled out if any......

My defining polymer moment (mentioned elsewhere).....had several spots...same things, same time....ran short and did a spot without them....were maybe 1 footers...weather turned against....rains missed....during that time maybe 90's but high humidity and polymer ones made it through about 2 weeks or so, while other ones fried quick..

Another angle of course is spot, rounding vegetation, and of course shading to any degree.....(I switched over to preferring partial shading if possible.....helps to cool spot (soil), gives the plant a break as far as assault (water, dietary issues).....and, from my experience, lot of these things don't take the toll on yield that is made to be......(pic above, organic no maintenance....no visits, partially shaded....that was part of a pretty heavy spot....I believe those were AK crosses.....99's,97's....I don't remember....)

So......you take into consideration all angles, plan accordingly, and, some might be seemingly insignificant issues, but, combine several of them, and can be the difference between favorable outcome, and unfavorable....

Many seem to think I operate in some moisture and temperature perfect environment from summer through harvest......far from it...I'll match notes against anyone....sure I have moisture available, but as above, with that carries mold issues, too much moisture issues, and of course every season different...and harvest season which could be 100 and rain Oct 1st, or 40's and rain Oct 1st, and everything in between......so...but, again.....one has hundreds of angles and approaches to utilize and combine to help themselves.....but you can't "chase it"....

No situation perfect.....all have their issues....most of the time the extreme from one side to the complete opposite other.....You do what you can, you prepare and plan and prep, and try not to "chase it".....nature of the beast....good seasons and bad seasons.....

I get very little rain in June, July-August and at the end of august I can be hit with tons of rain and then all throughout September its rain shower after rain shower, and then first week in October frost hits and then snow. Even if the plants make it through august perfectly they can easily get botrytis and mold away in the beginning of September, last year people were loosing entire greenhouses in august.. was not a good year for many.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I'd say to start what is "very little"......is it 1"....2"?.....05"?....0"....and what in which months?...

What is native soil....what are the spots your working with (forest, open?), what are temps and humidity dealt with, etc.....and then maybe shoot for something which suits it all best and work around it, but, again, then we go back to "chasing it"...(cause you stated bad season....)

I was talking to a friend who lives in a desert environment, which has the monsoons come in, and he really wasn't able to tend often for various reasons which would be absolutely necessary for such a harsh environment (desert...up to 120's, no soil whatsoever, no water whatsoever), and then it kind of shifted to maybe go later, prep before monsoons, and then let the monsoons do half his work, and go from there........

You could alter approach...could do earlier things....could go AF....could go a combo (veg and get them ready and shoot for a trigger taking advantage of certain time periods and conditions and trying to avoid the worse ones...tail end of season......etc, etc....)

I mean, don't forget.....any and everything we do is what we determine...

Depends on spots also...I've had the same things in multiple spots throughout a wide radius, and my forest larger ones always have problems late season, while the smaller ones in open areas not only problem free (mold), but also best quality.....so, again, lot of variances just in spot alone....

No doubt about it sounds rough.......no doubt.....but, I mean...lot of things that can be done......and, sure......lot of them small things which in themselves not going to completely cure and address all problems, but, you know, as above...you build upon them, and layer multiple solutions and actions and you have a plan :smoke:.....

If I was working with that, would be focusing I think on good prep, AF's, and on the earliest stuff possible with some 24/0 veg, etc, etc,.....

Just sayin....don't forget we are not bound by any one fixed approach.....

Sounds not too different from what I work with from August to finish...but with more extreme variation either way towards end...ie: One year harvest 100 and monsoons, the next could be 30 and snow....the next could be fine.....and so on......

But, as before.....I just worry about the "chasing it" thing.....and again...I've done it, so.......chasing it can be more disappointing than the alternative....ie: I've had seasons where I chased it...tried to mix it up based on previous season, only to see if I would have left it alone, would have turned out fine, so....consistency of ones season also the issue..(some environments basically clockwork year after year.....some completely different one year to the next, so......)

Options endless...could also try and counter with going early things, but then again your facing moisture issues (less/none), or go full term and then facing excessive moisture issues, and on and on....so....AF's earlier mentioned above, flip side is would be done with low moisture, but then with smaller things comes less prep and less water than larger ones, and on and on and on........

You know....all about manipulating approach to best serve one and their interests and the products needs in the most efficient way possible.....

I mean, no way possible to address (here, now) every single aspect about every single possible approach and issue..but lot of variation in what could be done and how......

I think if faced with such, I'd opt more to take advantage of lack of moisture (quality of product), shoot for early, prep well, and bring the water in....(prep would reduce visits and what you bring in to a degree...of course not completely, but, even if eliminates every other trip, a success....or even less......ie: 10 trips into 7.....7 into 4-5, etc.....)

Bottom line is I doubt there is almost (almost) no environment on the planet that people don't grow...so :smoke: (I could say "Probably not in Death Valley", and 3 people might pop up and live and grow there, so :biglaugh:...you know.....)

I mean, I just try to discourage the "But I"....the "Can't", and the "yeah, but I'm", etc, etc....

You know, as above.....most of the time for every area and condition mentioned, there are people doing same area and conditions with success, so......

Majority of the time, none of us are alone...none of us work locations and conditions which no one has ever worked before, and so on......

I have a spot that's come up for next year......always waved off by a couple as an impossibility....mentioned briefly above somewhere....most would laugh and say "yeah, good luck with that".....already building supplies to bring in, etc....(ground might as well be just concrete.....)

I mean....this is certainly not the place to deem something impossible :smoke:........to me, this is the place that proves anything is possible :smoke:

That being said, and said above, only leaves one to analyze and identify their problems and obstacles, research and or formulate the solutions (or multiple solutions), and, there you go.....

I feel best for one to spend their time and efforts on the objective instead of declaring an unfounded defeat prematurely....(which we saw quite enough of above...)

I don't know about anyone else, but there is nothing which is going to keep me from my objectives...(except of course workers which fail :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: ....but that's out of their end anyway, so :smoke:)...

I'll die before I give up and roll over.....and that's not an exaggeration either....I dont know how anyone else views this thing of ours, but when I commit to an op, I am indeed "betting my life" on it.....and I take it as such.....

(I'm also of the school that everyone should basically every thread, in every forum before embarking on anything.....because of course chances are they will see 10-20+ examples of that which they which they either do not know, or question, not to mention in the process, entire approach might very well change during the course.......a different one, a most cost efficient one, a more effective one, and so on.......which again, above, we saw an example of the result of not doing so.......)

There's always a way. For anything, anytime, anywhere.

Only question is how much is one prepared to do to address what their specific situation requires..

Few will say "whatever it takes", and even fewer will actually follow through :smoke:...

And in the end, that is probably the defining factor which separates one from another...one op from another....

Last edited:

badmf

badmf, I wish i could try your approach but our eradication flights are so intense that equipment or pots and fences would be seen. Daily flights, multiple choppers, multiple irradication agencies. I did notice that in the thread, you made several return trips which in my mind isnt "untended"

You may notice that post was in 2004, and a different location. But anyways, I have choppers too, I go in before daybreak. The 32g trash cans and 15g pots are all placed in "cut-outs", holes in bushes made to enclose the sides of the containers. It serves two purposes, 1st camo, you can't see em from the ground and barely from the air, 2nd, sheilds sides from Sunlight reduces rootzone heat.
Now before you jump on "barely from the air" I add artificial flowers and natural vegatation to break the profile.When I wrote that piece I had opportunity to go there and did so. But my newer spots I don't go and alls well. Polymers have saved my azz several years, without it I would deplete my rezs forcing me to enlarge them, not good at all. I think what this breaks down to is "What are you willing to do to overcome obstacles!"
Hell the grower Still2big, that wades in gator and poisonous snake infested swamps is determined, now he's the man!!