What's new

Distant Outdoor Plot, Small 15 plants, Watering suggestions?

microgram

So today I moved my girls outside to a plot that's about 70 miles south, hopefully they'll all be ladies, but grown from seed: So I doubt it (I've gotten a few males from the package already though). If I walk out with 10 chicks, I'll be excited.

So, My plan is to skip the digging, and utilize containerized plants.
I bought about 100 ft of rope for about 12$ and bought a bunch of old pales for about 1$ each (I need atleast another 200 feet if I want to re-transplant them). I got 20 pales, and 2 cans of spray paint, brown and black to camo the 4 gallon pales. I found some old nursery starter containers on the side of the road, so I decided to scoop and use them today.

I put all 15 babies into some osmocote enriched potting soil, and lined each container with wet rope, and ran each line of rope into a burried bucket filled with water. Which originally had a 100 foot hose running to it, but of course, with my luck the water receded, and now im about 10 feet short of having the length I desire.

Does anyone have another solution? I was using a vaccuum for suction *not the household one :joint:* which was sucking water from the lake into the burried bucket. I would love to use a pump, but the noise that one would create would be too risky; A farmer lives about 300 yards away, but I've noticed fresh tire tracks leading up to his bee hives, which freaked the hell out of me. Anyways, the bucket is burried to the water level, but since there are a TON of reeds and such, the water is getting used by the wild plants before it could reach the hole/bucket. I Suppose planting them directly in ground would have been a good idea, but Im set on this containerized pot idea.
I was originally planning on running a second hose to a bunch of other recessed buckets, but that didn't work out at all lol. Too much damn digging.

I picked up some polymer crystals as well for a few dollars, which was an ingenious idea that I have to give you all props for, considering that I can't visit the plot every week. :woohoo:
So, since the next few days should be on/off raining with full sun, I hope that I have a watering solution by then. (aside from picking up another hose and some hose adapters)

Summary:
Containerized ganja:

Watering:
100 foot of rope about 3/4 feet used for each pot.
Polymers
Fertilizer:
Osmocote
I need to pick some more advanced ferts up, some good quality, high end ones.
Light:
It gets a bunch of decent light about 7 hours of direct a day.
Defense:
My Piss
Fishing line
Barbless fishing hooks
Magnesium Sulfate/Epsom Salts
Any response and suggestions would be wicked!

ug.

P.S. Pics soon, I was battling the mosquitos today, and wanted to get the heck out of there!

Last edited:
Fishing hooks? IDIOT! MORON! DIMWIT!

Fishing hooks? IDIOT! MORON! DIMWIT!

"Skip the digging" was lame.

"Containers 70 miles away" was a bong-hole daydream.

"Osmocote"? The devils spawn, and the downhill path of least resistance.

But, ... using Fishing Hooks?

"Barbless" fishing hooks?

You arrogant, adolescent, IDIOT!

Get your Worthless ass out there this weekend and remove them All!

That's an order, MORON!

Not only do you run the risk of getting your own sorry ass caught on them, you could maim any number of critters, and God Help You if a landowner or LEO gets caught on a fish hook!

Think of the headlines DIMWIT!

Think "felonious assault" on top of felonious growing.

Every Other Grower will have to bear the weight of Your bad publicity.

Get this into your tiny cranium: There are no defenses. Either it's a safe spot, or it's not. Nothing you can do about it. It's not your land is it?

If not, then Who The Fuck Do You Think You Are Planting Booby-Traps?

You've disgraced yourself in a big way.

Don't let it happen again.

microgram

:pointlaug. Wow, I have a question though the reason why I spent an hour removing all the barbs was so that they wouldn't get permanently stuck?
I'll remove them when I get out there next. I read to not make booby-traps, but it never occurred to me that making something plainly visible would be considered one. Its appreciated that you guys pointed that out.

Yeah, after the hike in the winter to my plot, I definitely didn't want to dig through all that turf. I'd ruin my shovel that's for sure, it's clay and mainly rock. Took me about an hour and a bit to dig like two feet.

Think of the headlines DIMWIT!
I don't think of headlines, because I don't read the paper, or watch the news aside from the forecast. Most of it is all a bunch of bullshit.
Every Other Grower will have to bear the weight of Your bad publicity.
I wasn't ever trying to hurt anyone or anything, which you'll obviously call me a hypocritical liar; but it's the truth bro. I put them up as a deterrent, not as a weapon.

First time grow, aren't I allowed to make a small, anti-incriminating mistake?

Get this into your tiny cranium: There are no defenses. Either it's a safe spot, or it's not. Nothing you can do about it. It's not your land is it?
Then no land is safe aside from the ungrowable artic/antartic.

Thanks though dudes, I'll replace the hooks with tin cans. :joint:

Does anyone else have any other good pointers?

P.S. Slightly less negative criticism would've been nice though considering that I am in all, a noob when it comes to growing outdoors :yoinks: peace.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Defense:
Fishing line
Barbless fishing hooks

You can not defend a property unless it's yours and people can see that they are on a private property.
Imagine some people going fishing or hiking getting injured just because you put those fishing hooks there. And be sure if somebody comes by your trap.. that will draw unwanted attention.
I prefer to use multiple spots.. and hope at least a part of them survive to be harvested.

[...] I spent an hour removing all the barbs [...]

Did you know you can find barbless fishing hooks to buy? :laughing: :laughing:

P

PkRipper

,.....It would be good karma for people who keep ripping this dude after he aplogized to leave him alone OR HELP the situation .
Its a real life sum of you have playing keys constructing little more than than what your little brain makes your big mouth babble out ...

Now then, BACK ON TOPIC.

IF you want a good defense use spray painted chicken wire , Or hog wire to cage you plants inside .
For people the best defense is to keep everything hidden like water cans and hoses .
after that maybe just grow them so big they look like pine trees and go undetected lol
, many times i had to take down a few trees that blocked light and took up space. Later we would block all the trails in to the area with huge limbs off those trees making a noisey barrier if sum one tried to enter they would have to climb through a jungle of downed tree branches.

microgram

You can not defend a property unless it's yours and people can see that they are on a private property.
Imagine some people going fishing or hiking getting injured just because you put those fishing hooks there. And be sure if somebody comes by your trap.. that will draw unwanted attention.
I prefer to use multiple spots.. and hope at least a part of them survive to be harvested.
Fair enough, I saught it as defending what I owned, which are in my opinion, the plants. Since I bought the seeds and all. That's a good idea, the only bad thing is that where I live, there aren't many spots to grow on due to either the inaccessibility/lack of water, proximity to others, or the security of the location. Anyone of these is always a bad thing, especially in combination of each other.

Did you know you can find barbless fishing hooks to buy? :laughing: :laughing:
haha, that I did not! :eek:! I always de-barb my hooks, it's not fair game.

Thanks pkripper; muchos gracias.
All of my shit is hidden, thankfully :). I always wear gloves while working, I never smoke at the site, I barely do as much as breathe. haha.

I figured that chicken wire fell under the same principal as my fishing hook and line idea, considering that it's practically the same thing.

Cheers everyone and props to badmf!!:smoker:

Practice makes perfect ...

Practice makes perfect ...

I figured that chicken wire fell under the same principal as my fishing hook and line idea, considering that it's practically the same thing.

There is no equivalency whatsoever between fish-hooks and chicken wire.

One deters rabbits and deer by making the plant inaccessible, while the other is used to inflict pain on anything or anybody who wanders nearby.

Hopefully, in a few years, you'll look back and say "What was I thinking?".

Making the hooks visible was almost as stupid as hiding them.

You might as well have put up a neon sign that said: "Check out this shit!".

Until you've figured out the requirements for local guerilla operations, it's much better to use bag-seed. It's usually free, and you can use a lot of it.

Why make expensive mistakes?

Go for more, smaller, plants in several locations.

A little work in a few places is easier on the mind and body than doing a lot of work with all your eggs in that one basket.

As for remote watering schemes ... you're welcome to try, but don't expect it to work well, if at all.

Go, ... and sin no more.

G

Welcome microgram

Baptism by fire huh? Dont worry about it man, they jump my shit twice a week. Ive been married several times so insults and name calling roll off of me like water off a ducks back.

Buddy, i would tell you or anyone else that a grow 70 miles from your home is not a grow. You may do the work and plant the plants, but there is no hope of survival or success, especially given your other circumstances. For the first 45-60 days, cannabis plants , all cannabis plants have to be tended without exception. The set and forget concept is pure myth perpetuated by speculative people without real grow experience. For every 100 set and forget grows -1 or 2 result in a harvest of 20% of natural yeild. All 98-99 other grows failed completely.

Find 2 different locations closer to home that you can get to once every couple of weeks and plant 2 plants each. You will harvest 10 X as much smoke as you will on your current course.

Good luck with whatever you do. Happy growing.

microgram

Thanks Silverback!

That sucks considering how much time, money and such that I've already invested in this season, as im sure it's already too late to start again.

Just like all plants, they need to be tended to very frequently. Only problem with planting closer to home is that there are no places to plant, all of the bush that's close to my home is well travelled parks and bicycle paths.

Thats why I chose out there, it's distant enough that there are almost no passer-byes, and it's close to a water source.

I think im going to go corn next time, im sure the pests are minimal and well controlled.

Im going out to the spot in a few days to check shit out, hope I don't walk out with a bunch of supplies and a bunch of dead plants.

Cheers,
ug.

P.S. Apparently white is great to wear to deter most pests. Which more or less blows because you lose security, but if you're in your plot you shouldn't be very noticeable? I fucking hate ticks more than anything.

D

Denial N Error

Why the hell would you use fishing hooks? That's just asking for trouble.. any idiot knows that. You're gonna risk hooking someones eyes/face with a fishing hook over 15 small cannabis plants?

sounds like you have more thinking to do...

people that bash you for making mistakes either have never made a mistake..(doubtfull) or are probably just hammering you because someone hammered them and it makes people feel tough to call you an idiot on the computer....99% of those people would never say that stuff to your face.

keep up the hard work pal....growing on others land is hard...TONS of things to worry about. I suggest finding somewhere a little closer and spending alittle time out there in the fall and early spring..Just hang out and take in the surroundings.....your looking for peace.....you want to make sure its private....no tire tracks, stuff like that......these kinds of places are not hard to find, one jsut has to look....pull up google earth and you will find area's around your house that are very remote.

Next thing you want to do is plant 1o different plots of weed.....plan on harvesting 3 of those plots. If you get more than 6 it is a miracle. Container planting is fine but plant downhill from a river or stream and bury some hose for the water to be gravity feed......save your piss in 2 liters of empty pop bottles....piss is your friend aas far as a deterence goes and some will say that it enriches the soil.

Remember if your on others property, treat it as if it were yours....even if you see trash laying around..Pick it up..even if its not your trash.

Pick up a hobby like bird watching or something nature like...its a good excuse to be out there in the woods..

Keep your head up bro, everyone here had to start somewhere.

microgram

people that bash you for making mistakes either have never made a mistake..(doubtfull) or are probably just hammering you because someone hammered them and it makes people feel tough to call you an idiot on the computer....99% of those people would never say that stuff to your face.
haha, true that. i have a harder shell than my seeds, that's for sure :p. I can put up with insults, been a fiend of the net for a long time.

keep up the hard work pal....growing on others land is hard...TONS of things to worry about. I suggest finding somewhere a little closer and spending alittle time out there in the fall and early spring..Just hang out and take in the surroundings.....your looking for peace.....you want to make sure its private....no tire tracks, stuff like that......these kinds of places are not hard to find, one jsut has to look....pull up google earth and you will find area's around your house that are very remote.

Agreed, it's fucking hard as shit. Im a slight bit of a hippy when it comes to recycling, I re-use shit all the time, be it garbage or what ever. Been dumpster diving a lot :p. Hence my free nursery containers :p.

I found this place using google maps/earth, I had to, I physically couldn't walk that much. and I can walk far.

Next thing you want to do is plant 1o different plots of weed.....plan on harvesting 3 of those plots. If you get more than 6 it is a miracle. Container planting is fine but plant downhill from a river or stream and bury some hose for the water to be gravity feed......save your piss in 2 liters of empty pop bottles....piss is your friend aas far as a deterence goes and some will say that it enriches the soil.

Yeah, I piss every time I visit my plot. lol. That's why I Burried the bucket, couldn't find somewhere lower to plant.

Remember if your on others property, treat it as if it were yours....even if you see trash laying around..Pick it up..even if its not your trash.

Pick up a hobby like bird watching or something nature like...its a good excuse to be out there in the woods..

Keep your head up bro, everyone here had to start somewhere.

It's appreciated lidspinner, and everyone who has dropped helpful advice and not negative e-penis post bumps.

ug.

p.s. no more fishing hooks in two days.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
The hooks idea was doomed from the start. I mean, fish don't walk around on land. What were you thinking? :crazy:

About the pump, you can get 12v electric pumps that won't be heard from 300 yards away. I used a 12v motorcycle battery to power it (small and light compared to a car battery)

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Yeah, 70 miles is bit far, unless you have a well planed out irrigation system that is bullet proof, or a enviroment that will support the plants naturally, and thats quite a feat in itself. Gotta have them closer so you can deal with emergencies, especially watering ones.

I also think fish hooks aren't the best idea, chicken wire should work better, and won't injure anyone.

badmf

Welcome microgram

Baptism by fire huh? Dont worry about it man, they jump my shit twice a week. Ive been married several times so insults and name calling roll off of me like water off a ducks back.

Buddy, i would tell you or anyone else that a grow 70 miles from your home is not a grow. You may do the work and plant the plants, but there is no hope of survival or success, especially given your other circumstances. For the first 45-60 days, cannabis plants , all cannabis plants have to be tended without exception. The set and forget concept is pure myth perpetuated by speculative people without real grow experience. For every 100 set and forget grows -1 or 2 result in a harvest of 20% of natural yeild. All 98-99 other grows failed completely.

Find 2 different locations closer to home that you can get to once every couple of weeks and plant 2 plants each. You will harvest 10 X as much smoke as you will on your current course.

Good luck with whatever you do. Happy growing.

I definitely take high exception to the statement
"The set and forget concept is pure myth perpetuated by speculative people without any real grow experience."
Er umm; first of all it does work and has been for many years. I have been growin' since 65'. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=7468&highlight=hands+free+outdoor
Now this was first posted when? And I'm still doin' it!! You can go straight into the ground if the soil is decent enough. So cans are not mandatory. You could set it at a mid point to drip as the polymer keeps the majority of the water from going too waste. It works!!! or maybe "I" am a myth, lol!!

microgram

The reason why I was using fishing hooks was the same sort of idea as barbed wire. I wanted to deter animals, but not injure them. I tied the hooks on with a slipknot, just in case an animal did snag him/herself.

It was the only idea I had, since I was running way past my imaginary budget, and with things coming up in life and having the job I do. makes things tough. a roll of chicken wire costs anywhere from 1$ sq ft to 2$ a sq ft. and if I planted the plants 4 feet apart in a random fashion, I'd need a hell of a lot of chicken wire. which would cost nearly 100$. i'm not cheap by any means, if I had the coin I'd easily pawn it up.

The whole idea for my plot being so far away is because no one (aside from mr.farmer) would ever find it, not even by fly overs, it blends in nicely. That and the fact that there are no real forestry around my house, and the only places within that 70 miles is that place, the rest is all farm land, inaccessible (I couldn't possibly hike as much water as the plants are going to need.) I did find one other spot, but leo's are always driving by it because it's so close to town, it's a huge ditch that's connected to a bunch of other ditches from farm land and what not, and not always gaurenteed to have water.

I hope it works out for me, im grabbing some more hose tomorrow when I take my hike to add another place to suck water from, and to extend my other hose into the water.

Thanks guys :), been helpful.

Cheers,
ug.

P.S. badmf, you should look into bluebooth stuff with your laptop and your phone? then you can transfer your pix and what not.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
silverback said:
Buddy, i would tell you or anyone else that a grow 70 miles from your home is not a grow.

You may do the work and plant the plants, but there is no hope of survival or success, especially given your other circumstances.

For the first 45-60 days, cannabis plants , all cannabis plants have to be tended without exception. The set and forget concept is pure myth perpetuated by speculative people without real grow experience.

For every 100 set and forget grows -1 or 2 result in a harvest of 20% of natural yeild.

All 98-99 other grows failed completely.
I've been doing up to 600 mile radius no maintenance ops with a 100% success rate,(2 not optimal due to problems with workers), numbers cumulative in the 100's of thousands, and losses not exceeding 5% for decades....

I would say anyone who states the above is the one without any real experience. (Especially for someone whose claimed region gets 3-4"+ rainfall monthly during the season, which is optimal for no maintenance....)

There are countless people who do the above. Every day, every month, every season.

Stick with what you know. These matters are obviously not among them.

Threadstarter: You are sitting right now in front of the greatest resource for growing on the planet. Spent some time using it. Every hour spent will double your knowledge, and prepare you for any and every situation you might face, and the challenges to overcome. As you can see from the above, there are many who could use more reading also......:biglaugh: (Search "no maintenance grows"....)

Good luck. Whatever you wish to do can and has been done.

The deciding factor is you.:smoke:

Last edited:

microgram

Mad props to julian. Anything is possible, but obviously having a huge diesel pump and a bunch of noisey shit would make your stealthy position noticable. There's always a way to combat sound.

I'm not going to just leave these plants to fend for them selves, that's why i went out of my way to build a fishing line fence, bought a bunch of hose, hiked in pots, soil, soil additives, etc. Like any outdoor grower, im prepared to spend quality time with my plants. And like every other outdoor grower on these boards; we all have unique situations to grow in. I much rather lessen the number of trips out there and spend more time and effort into cropping out as much as i can. I guess this all sounds hocus pocus, I know and you should by now too: that it's my first time outdoor grow; first grow at this size period. Im just reaching out for some constructive criticism; methods and idea's that are proven to work.

Time to hit up the search, and skim through thousands of threads :D. :yoinks: :joint: :yeahthats

ug!