What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Disposing Huge amount of coco

BBQ

Hi everyone,

I would be very grateful for tips on how to dispose huge amounts of coco coir...eco friendly and how many times you all reuse coco coir.

Thank's in advance :tiphat:

Granger2

Veteran
How much is "huge amounts?" Do you have a lawn, in particular, a back lawn? You can spread no more than an inch on grass and it will disappear pretty quickly if the grass is growing. Veggies yes.

I reuse my coco at least 3 crops. Good luck. -granger

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Coco is hard to get rid of as it doesn't look anything like soil and it takes forever to compost down. The only thing worse is perlite, I absolutely hate the stuff as it is so hard to hide, if you put it in the flower beds it will look like it just snowed after the first rain storm.

You've got more than just a lot of coco, you have a metric fuck ton, may be best to rent a dumpster and throw it all away.

BlackBuds

I will have to dispose about 40,000 liters coco per run if I dont reuse it.

With that type of waste I would personally be looking at alternatives and wouldn't be surprised if you are. I think the dumpster idea is probably the best short term solution. Damn bro my problems aren't even close. Good luck

Snow Crash

Veteran
That's so much coco. To put this in perspective for my fellow Americans, it would be a pile of coco about 6 yards wide and 5 yards tall. You could fill two 10x10 bedrooms with coco.

Yeah... that much.

3 cycles is pretty typical when reusing coco. The obvious thing is putting it out in the yard to let nature take its course. If your lawn and garden don't need an extra 1/2 meter of coco layered on them then I like the dumpster idea too.

SecondAttempt

I will have to dispose about 40,000 liters coco per run if I dont reuse it.

Can we get a confirmation on this number... that's like 10,000 gallons... PER RUN? Can you donate it to a farmer to condition his/her fields' soil?

Dumpster rental is weird, do you just get it when you need it, or rent one year round, where do you keep the dumpster? on site? what happens if a snoop figures out whats in the dumpster?

sanjuan

I guess commercial composters aren't too common in other states. I'd give Cedar Grove Composting a call in western WA.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Compost it, just put on a ton of fresh hot shit, chicken, cow, horse, goat, rabbit, mix it up and add blood meal if you need it, the carbon source will disappear pretty fast and leave compost that people will love. Or offer free mulch for gardens, let them take it and do what they like. You can dump it at a friend that has no growing if you are concerned about security.
So give it away as is for mulch, compost it for gardeners, or mix it with soil, but that is the least good option, as you just add to the bulk and as soil will not break down the coco coir fast, if at all. High nitrogen hot fresh manures do. If you compost it all the nutrients will be digested and eaten by microorganisms that will make them available to plants, but the high nitrogen is gone. As long as the manure was not real high in piss which raises EC and can sometimes be a problem, just don't use manure where the piss and shit gets all mixed, or test the EC before you get it if you have doubts.
-SamS

Last edited:

BBQ

Thank you all for the input. Its a legal grow operation and its going to be more coco actually..around 60,000 liters per run. Any idea of what a good soil coco ratio would be to give it away to farmers? Would I have to flush the nutrients out?

seaweed

Flush it and reuse dude. As long as you don't have bug problems it's fine . I have reused coco for 18 months with no problems . As long as the plants healthy there is no reason you shouldn't do this . It's an inert medium .
Try it with a 10 sq meters and see

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Thank you all for the input. Its a legal grow operation and its going to be more coco actually..around 60,000 liters per run. Any idea of what a good soil coco ratio would be to give it away to farmers? Would I have to flush the nutrients out?
Pot it on Craigslist For FREE,,, as 'garden/tree mulch'.

If you are close to me, I'd be happy to help. I'm in Colorado of course.

edit; just looked to see whare you were.... lol

By the way. What Sam said... and Chicken/poultry Shit is the hottest I've found.

Just advertise it as 'nursery/greenhouse excess'.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
If you can't get manure use lawn clippings to compost it with. No as hot as manure but will still work. I do it in the spring with mine sometimes. If you want to plant something with the compost afterwards use clippings before they set seed in the spring like I do. If not you will have to get the compost hot enough to kill the seeds. This is hard to do without know how to compost well. Take a specific ratio and more work managing the pile.