What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dispensary Insurance Business Booming!

Skip

Veteran
Own a dispensary and need insurance to cover your losses in case of theft, spoilage or injury? There are insurance policies available from most major insurance carriers.

This is a "growing" business for insurance companies since the number of dispensaries in the US is growing rapidly.

It seems the only thing they don't cover is legal expenses if you get busted. See the article below to find out exactly what these policies cover.

http://www.sacbee.com/business/story/2371409.html

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think the Administration in the white house realizes the number of jobs the hemp plant could create! :eek:

Thanks once again skip!

Skip

Veteran
True Amstel. Lots of growers don't see the upside FOR THEM of legalization. It's a whole new game starting, with different rules and different payoffs. You just need to be in the right racket to profit from it. As with insurance, there is no end to the new ways that marijuana will spark the economy.

As I said b4, get into the seed breeder biz and you'll have no probs. Demand will continue to grow.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Sounds like those insurance companies are involved in money laundering and risk asset forfeiture by the DEA. Oh no wait, the DEA only goes after those that can't fight back.

fatigues

Veteran
As I said b4, get into the seed breeder biz and you'll have no probs. Demand will continue to grow.
I don't think any current seed breeder in the world can compete with a professional laboratory equipped with techniques and PhDs to do Genetic modifications to the seed. But, perhaps that's just me.

There will always be a connoisseur market for MJ. But if growers on ICM think that a legal MJ market will favor their interests as commercial producers - or even favor the Humboldt Counties of the world - you're kidding yourself.

This is what a legal MJ commercial grower looks like. And there is not a Richard Lee anywhere in sight, either:

attachment.php

Now THAT is a Grow Op :)

Skip

Veteran
I disagree Fatigues. As far as I can determine, once it's legal, there will be a lot more grows like that. Eddy Lepps grow was nearly that size. And there wasn't even a corporation behind it, just a collective of individuals. I've seen pix of Swiss grows bigger than that, and that was when it was ILLEGAL. Imagine when it's legal. Any biz with enough dough can do a setup like that.

I think you underestimate the resources and potential of ppl coming together and organizing huge grows like this. It's all about organizing your community.

Again, Fatigues you and others here are still thinking in obsolete terms. Legalization changes everything.

Which of you GROWERS right here on ICMAG will one day operate a LEGAL grow like the one above?

Want to be able to do a HUGE GROW like that above? Then LEGALIZE IT!

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would love to have an op like that. That's going to be the future of commercial growing. Industrial agriculture production like wine is around the world. I think the industry surrounding MJ might dwarf wine though. That's not even getting into hemp.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think large scale commercial grows will help anyone, other than investors, and corporations. Homogenized product, cut throat business deals, it will only be a matter of time before big name corporations take over the industry. There will be room for small Micro Brewery types, but on the whole $ talks and bullshit walks.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think large scale commercial grows will help anyone, other than investors, and corporations. Homogenized product, cut throat business deals, it will only be a matter of time before big name corporations take over the industry. There will be room for small Micro Brewery types, but on the whole $ talks and bullshit walks.

There will be a whole scale of product quality IMO. Crap for cheap, high quality indoor for the tops. Micro Breweries and small independent wine makers put out a quality product and make a very nice living doing so. I think we are a little afraid of change sometimes.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What I'm really afraid of are the corporations in this country ruining whatever they haven't had a chance to ruin yet. But yeah I'm sure there will be a niche market for quality growers once legalization takes off.

ChronJohn

I share your sentiment Skip. There are many hundreds, neigh, thousands of small family run winery's in this country, my family owning several of them and let me tell you- it's profitable. Some are going bankrupt right now but that's just the economy in general, people tightening their waistbands and whatnot. No time to buy wine when there needs to be food on the table you know? But yes, I think many of us, not all but many, will be able to stick our thumbs in the proverbial pie of legalization and come up with a nice slice. We might not all be Phillip Morrises, but a good deal of us will come up gravy. It just takes adaptation, and once legalization sets in and the market re-adjusts itself (a painful period for a lot of us im sure), we'll be better able to gauge the effects legalization will have on us. I'm sure plenty of the big boys here COULD afford a few acres to plant bountiful outdoor harvests on, or COULD afford a nice 20,000 sq/ft warehouse to play with, but the only thing holding you back is the illegality. The risk. With legalization, that's gone. Embrace the change! Embrace the progress! And keep it going we're so close!

johnnyla

Veteran
dude those lights are so far away from the plants. you can grow budweiser in those conditions but not Fat Tire or heady beer if you catch my drift. i hope i'm right.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
dude those lights are so far away from the plants. you can grow budweiser in those conditions but not Fat Tire or heady beer if you catch my drift. i hope i'm right.

Yes, but look up above those lights and what do you see? Sky. Looks like the lights are there for the people and not the plants.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I don't think that pic was a pot farm, I saw the pic in another thread here yesterday, It was 6000 400W lights i think...

The real money would be all the hydro supplies. Imagine how much floramite they would need, or just the nutrients for grows like that. Or supplying the bulbs for all those lights, Rockefeller didn't make his money getting oil out of the ground, and Levi didn't dig for gold. That picture is neat but on that scale you are not going to have any quality, and I think most on here actually enjoy growing and interacting with your plants.

Aren't the lights in the pics so that they can veg when it gets dark?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder if the insurance companies ask that the employees be drug tested.... They're the ones behind all that shit you know...

Those lights in the greenhouse are for supplimental lighting for plant growth.. They stretch the duration of direct light so that the photoperiod is longer. Incandescents are used as supplimental lighting to lengthen photoperiod too, but they don't provide adequate light for production, just enough for the plants to sense the length of photoperiod... For human lighting incandescents or CFLs are commonly used in the greenhouse industry.

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
I wouldn't want a grow that big, damn I have enough with keeping up with what I have now. Legalizing will kill the commercial grower, that's the reason why they love to see the laws get tougher, makes the profits sky rocket. I would be happy with growing a few plants legally without having to worry about 5.0 busting down my door.

I'm not surprised about the insurance companies hoping on board, they like to sink their teeth into everything possible.

woodsm18

Insurance for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries & Growing Operations in CO

Insurance for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries & Growing Operations in CO

If you are looking for business insurance for a Colorado medical marijuana dispensary or growing operation, there are only 2 insurance carriers who will write that type of business at the moment. Here's some requirements:
  1. a central burglar alarm at the very least, and possibly other security measures like metal door, gated windows etc.
  2. 1-ton (or more) safe for inventory/stock
  3. deliveries off premises are NOT allowed
  4. facility cannot be located in a high crime area
You can obtain general liability insurance, building coverage (if you own the building), business property coverage (furniture, computers, growing equipment etc.), and stock/inventory coverage. If you are a tenant, your landlord may require you to have insurance in the event of a fire or break-in. Regardless, it is a good idea. Insurance carriers do not provide coverage for "products", so you will not be covered for claims or lawsuits related to product quality. For more information or quotes for Colorado operations, contact www.marijuanadispensaryinsurance.com.