What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did my plant hermie? What do i do?

Jonnysact

I just noticed this morning after pruning yesterday. I see a couple of spots with balls on them.... What do I do? How could this happen? lol

concerned :(...

rEbF2q7.jpg

rSZ8ycB.jpg

Cut it down. Start again. 90% of the beans I bought my first year hermed out like that. Dialed in my room, killed the herms, saved the plants that didn't herm and bred them together... now no herm problems, however, I never lost the habit of constantly checking each and every plant once a week for balls. It's a good habit to get into, you'll catch many more problems and get to know your plants better.

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
if you have no other option you could try and save it by pulling off all the male stamen as soon as you see it .. once completely clean of male parts let her go until (hopefully not) you see them again..but if they keep coming back again and again then sorry to say but you might have to scrap your plants...hope this helps

Jonnysact

Cut it down. Start again. 90% of the beans I bought my first year hermed out like that. Dialed in my room, killed the herms, saved the plants that didn't herm and bred them together... now no herm problems, however, I never lost the habit of constantly checking each and every plant once a week for balls. It's a good habit to get into, you'll catch many more problems and get to know your plants better.

I don't have any other plants growing right now so I don't know if I want to chop it really. Could use the experience of floewring for my next batch as this is my first attempt.

Would it not be worthwhile to develop feminized seeds? Is this not how they are created?

Also I will do a little more reading about removing them. Maybe others can chime in here.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
If the plant is alone just pick the male flowers as you see them. Let the plant finish and watch out for seeds while smoking. Your crop wont be ruined, but just might be slightly seeded.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Also I wouldnt grow the seeds unless the plant is best pot of your life. You are going to have many intersex seeds, and likely not very many non-intersex females in those seeds.

GoneGrowing

she-balls, too bad when not intentional. You only have that one plant? if only one plant I'd take into consideration how much I wanted to grow that specfic strain. If nothing special about that strain I'd chop it down and start over. Make sure your space is lightproof, get some new genetics going and try to stress the new genetics as little as possible, stable ph, lightproof space etc... sucks but I'd put in the extra time and start over, best of luck!

Jonnysact

I haev smoked weed with seeds in them before when i was in my early teens. I just remember the weed not being all that impressive in terms of strength. I think what I read was that when seeds are created the plant stops producing as much THC. So that kinda makes sense.

"You are going to have many intersex seeds, and likely not very many non-intersex females in those seeds." Not exactly sure my knowledge is strong enough to really understand that. Will it not produce feminized seeds?

I know really nothing about the strain. This will be my first attempt at growing. It seems to be a popular strain so it's going to be worthwhile getting a vape or smoke out of it me thinks.

As for it being lightproof, the box sits in my closet that is kept closed at night and when hte lights are off. So light leak shouldn't really be a factor here. It's pitch black in there unless I open my closet, and even then the box is closed with the only possible light coming in from the fan intake and outake, but even then I can't look into the box and see anything with the lights off and the closet door open.

Joint, what do you mean "and then blow into bho"?

GoneGrowing

if you don't mind only getting a small yield on your first grow and don't want to start all over but would rather just flower it out til done for the experience and maybe a few female/hermi-seeds, please feel free to do so, nothing wrong in that, it's all experience. But it doesn't sound as if lighleak is the reason for the male pollensacks, and from the picture it looks quite healthy. so if not lightleak, any other kind of stress up until now? I no significant other stress and no lightleak then it might just be a genetic dispostion. Some strains do have a tendency to produce a few pollensacks/ball in week 3-4 ish, and then it seems to reduce. Sometime you can pluck off a few pollensacks and see if the problem reduces over time. Sometimes those pollensacks will be sterile so they wont cause no seedproduction, so it might be relevant whivh strain it is you are growing?

btw, might wanna check out my sd ibl grow in my sig, i had similar problems, which didn't end up being an issue

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
"You are going to have many intersex seeds, and likely not very many non-intersex females in those seeds." Not exactly sure my knowledge is strong enough to really understand that. Will it not produce feminized seeds?

You will have all female seeds, but likely many hermaphrodite females as well. Breeding hermies makes more hermies. Feminized seeds are produced with plants that are female,but these are chemically changed into hermaphrodites.

Scrappy-doo

Shit brotha if you have no other plants you may as well just keep flowering her out and just pick off the nuts as you see'em. But in the meantime pop some more beans dude you have plenty of time before they would even be ready for flowering so probably as this one is finishing up the next round will just be ready to start flowering.

Jonnysact

Here is what I plucked off of the bush. Will keep checking back every few days.

z88jZoK.jpg

And hell yes. Started my next batch yesterday, White widdow :)

rDz7R9J.jpg

GoneGrowing

right on jdubsky:headbange, keep on picking them balls off and see if it gets worse or if it can be kept down. I hope you'll get some nice white widow popping up from the ground, for your next grow or worst case scenario to substitute if your current plant fails, white widow from which breeder?

blastfrompast

Veteran
Honestly...if you have access to clones.....go that route for your first plant...

Pick off the balls if you can if you want to salvage it, just be careful, there is ALOT of pollen in each one of those sacks....trust me...been down the pollen road....still have a couple bags of seeded bud from 3yrs ago to show for it...

Jonnysact

Thanks blast, I will keep on checking every week for new balls, that should give them enough time to grow large enough to see so that I'm not paranoid and checking my plant every day.

At the same time though, I will, once I've found a great strain, definitely want to get some seeds to allow for future growing without having to fork out muchos coin for seeds.

Latest posts

Latest posts