What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Development and Harvest Yields of Greenhouse Tomatoes in Six Orgnaic Growing Systems

S

secondtry

Hey 2nd,
Are you gonna pick out the perlite? j/k

haha, maybe I will!!!

Dave Coulis/ others interested-

As for a source of compost for folks on the Eastern Seaboard that was not mentioned, Compostwerks does biological testing on their compost. http://www.compostwerks.com/Our-Compost.php

I have not personally used it, but it has been recommended by a knowledgeable person whose opinion I value. Not sure what increments they sell it in as you have to contact them to get a quote. Anyone up for it?
Thanks for that, I will add it to my list. I don't like the look of the compost from EarthFort (it's not fully broken down) so I am happy to have something on the east coast besides Mcenroe which I don't think tests their compost. Cheers. I will call them now.

S

secondtry

@ Trich:

I just looked at their compost and it's for ACT, not really what I would want to add to media for compost because that compost is not really broken down into rich humus compost. The compost from that company seems to be the kind of compost SFI thinks is compost (which is not humus compost, or even what I call high quality compost). I will add that compost as a source for making ACT, thanks. I think we need a definition for compost such as the fungal compost from CTGuy and the compost from that company you linked to; I don't know what to call it but I don't think compost is the right term, maybe "CT compost" or similar?...

S

secondtry

Tahnks SuperSize,

I called them but no one picked up the phone. The continer mix looks good: compost, pine bark, coir, worm castings, and rice hulls. But they don't list lime, nor pH levels, etc. I hope once I talk to them they can tell me the porosites of their media.

Thanks.

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
Tahnks SuperSize,

I called them but no one picked up the phone. The continer mix looks good: compost, pine bark, coir, worm castings, and rice hulls. But they don't list lime, nor pH levels, etc. I hope once I talk to them they can tell me the porosites of their media.

Thanks.

Since I don't rely solely on that particualar ingredient for my other ammendments, I never inquired.

It's just a really nice, black compost.The castings are real nice as well.

The gentleman is a friendly, helpful person.

GL :yes:

S

secondtry

Changes to my list:
(thanks to many PM's and posts I have gotten on this topic)

1. I removed every EarthFort product from my list, I do not want to support them after a PM I was sent. I won't detail what in the PM but suffice it say it's enough to make me remove EarthFort from my list.

2. I added four more sources of compost for media. I would try to find Fafard before ViatalEarth because Fafard could be local and it seems like better compost (from my reading)

3. I added a source/brand of environmentally sound harvested peat moss

4. I added a second source of compost for ACT

5. I added a second source of less expensive azomite

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
1. I removed every EarthFort product from my list, I do not want to support them after a PM I was sent. I won't detail what in the PM but suffice it say it's enough to make me remove EarthFort from my list.
secondtry

If you found them annoying via email you definitely do not want to deal with them face-to-face.

A really strange operation. I stopped in there last Thursday to pick-up some of the Alaska humus product and to make sure I wouldn't have to head back over there anytime soon I bought 5 bags which should last me for a year or so.

CC

S

secondtry

secondtry

If you found them annoying via email you definitely do not want to deal with them face-to-face.

A really strange operation. I stopped in there last Thursday to pick-up some of the Alaska humus product and to make sure I wouldn't have to head back over there anytime soon I bought 5 bags which should last me for a year or so.

CC

Hey,

It's not about emailing them, it's about a PM someone sent me here, regarding EarthFort. I will PM you the gist of why I won't suggest them, but keep it between you and me (I won't tell you who told me but I can trust them 100%).

S

secondtry

@ DM,

Thanks. Glad you like it. Why did you mess up? I think that link is great, esp. for people on the west cost. I will add some links from it, thanks. I am trying to offer options from the east coast, middle us and west coast.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hey CC,

Yea that is the product I prefer, I have a bottle rigth in front of me :) However, I kind of like Therm X70 because the application rate is SO much lower than that suggested by T&J.

Im about to purchase some of the Yucca extract listed. Can you tell me what amount to use/gallon, or should I go with whatever is listed on the bottle?

localhero

just a heads up, the midwest compost people sold out. they gave some of their compost to a sod farm to test against what they were using. the blades grew twice as wide and twice as tall. so the sod farm bougth em out after that. they reffered me to a turkey farm in sonoma who supposedely has on par quality with what they had. I'll let you guys know what the story is with them after i talk with the guy.

DARC MIND

Veteran
thanks CC
@ DM,

Thanks. Glad you like it. Why did you mess up? I think that link is great, esp. for people on the west cost. I will add some links from it, thanks. I am trying to offer options from the east coast, middle us and west coast.
yea to me its hard to find good sources in cali. but i read ther online catalog note in bold red
Our online catalog cannot be used as an online ordering service.
Neither our online catalog nor the Sparetime Supply retail store
is set up to accept orders via the internet or phone.
thats why...id be looking foward to more options in cali.i would buy compost you or cc recomend if i see some them in my neck of the woods.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Thanks 2try,

I think your really helping people out by listing this information. Not to mention actually contacting and researching in depth the differences and ultimately the better products. Good thread!

S

secondtry

just a heads up, the midwest compost people sold out. they gave some of their compost to a sod farm to test against what they were using. the blades grew twice as wide and twice as tall. so the sod farm bougth em out after that. they reffered me to a turkey farm in sonoma who supposedely has on par quality with what they had. I'll let you guys know what the story is with them after i talk with the guy.

Really? That sucks! Last time I spoke with them (about 2 weeks ago) they had many 30lb bags left. It sounds like either I or you were told wrong info...

I will call them now and ask.

S

secondtry

Thanks 2try,

I think your really helping people out by listing this information. Not to mention actually contacting and researching in depth the differences and ultimately the better products. Good thread!

NP :) I am trying to make it easier for people, sourcing good products is hard if you don't know where to start. Once the list is complete I will make a separate thread just for the list so people can use it independent of this thread.

S

secondtry

@ localhero,

I spoke with Midwest and they have plenty of 30 pounds bags left. You need to ask for the 'older' bags, they are $30 a piece at about 40% moisture content and about 30 pounds. Using the 'older' bags is fine, the warning is active microbes could be reduced but that's no big deal, they should 'wake' up just fine. The main reason I am using Midwest is it's true humus compost of the highest quality.

PS. The info about the sod farm was neat! Thanks.

Latest posts

Latest posts