What's new

Desert Grow - Heat Stress or Mites?

Madjag

Veteran
Rob,

Do yourself Rite and uses Michael Astera's skills. Pay his fee and get ready to be happy.

His report will tell you exactly how much to use based upon your square footage, none of this pounds per acre conversion needed.

Agricola, the company he works with, has everything you need at excellent prices.

Here is their pricelist and supplements:

http://www.soilminerals.com/Minerals_and_Fertilizers.htm

He is well aware of what to recommend if you are in the cannabis biz so no need to hide what you are doing. He spent a few weeks last year answering questions of CEP's thread and can focus on your issues. Just make sure to tell him the square footage and if you are using containers like super-sized smartpots. He can fine tune your report.

milkyjoe

Veteran
The more I look at it the more I am liking the Tainio report. It is obviously not something that is going to help right now...but for amending this fall. I really like the way they use pH to determine CaCO3 vs CaSO4. I wonder what it is if you are between 6 and 6.5. I am also assuming their sulfate recommend of 20 is actually the bare minimum they feel is needed...obviously it will go up beyond 20 when all of the gypsum is added (also if you are short on K or Mg they show sulfate sources).

And if you look at their Carbo II or whatever (short term memory don't you know) they tell you C:N of 20:1 for maximum microbe activity...that right there is a cool thing to know. Why they are recommending more carbon in this soil is apparently above my pay grade.

I like to do this for myself but I will definitely send them my next report and see how close we are.

On top of that I find Tainio products to be the bomb period...deep down I think they are what makes aea stuff work.

edit...just for fun, Tainio is recommending 75% bcs Ca. That is up there. Right around 5 for K. 13.5 for Mg. That does not leave much room for H.

milkyjoe

Veteran
So I worked out the numbers on that 3 co3, 4 so4. Came out perfect.

That is amazingly simple. Ima copy that one.

R

Robrites

Smart Folks

Smart Folks

milkyjoe - Madjag - FatherEarth - and all the rest!

Strangers that help - probably the best part of the internet.

You people have given me a good start - Directions to go. Thanks for letting me borrow your brain power and experience.

I am buying the book. The Ideal Soil

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ideal-Soi...ef=as_sl_pc_tf_cw?&linkCode=waf&tag=orewee-20

Keep Posting! I have an idea that I am not the only one reading and learning from this thread.

waveguide

Veteran
just to get a bit creepy on you,
spent a few years following milky joe's (i'd say "m-j" but same for mad-jag eh) investigations on another site (gone now).. didn't buy it all, doubt he does either, and probably didn't retain a whole lot.. (pretty much, "calcium")

did me a lot of good to at least familiarise myself with concepts in bot. academia.. guy's got "a passion for informed horti with discretion for the fact that nature knows what the fuck it's doing" i guess one could say...

beats other things you can read on the internet when chilling.

R

Robrites

So any more pics? Are the plants flowering like normal?
There were 3 plants affected. No change on the worst one....well it has gotten worse - the deformed leaves started at the top and have worked their way down the plant. It stopped growing and never did stretch. It does have gunny sacks of tiny buds forming on it though. They are so scrunched together, hard to tell how they will turn out. The other two did stretch and seem to be better. Not giants but over a unit.

So far, I would have to say the leading suspect is trying to grow with coco (25%) outdoors in a desert environment.

It is sometimes painful to learn but always worthwhile.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Na is one culprit. Water is the other. My semi desert in ground plants are using 3x the water of my pots

R

Robrites

Na is one culprit. Water is the other. My semi desert in ground plants are using 3x the water of my pots

Yep. I was only giving 5 gallons per hole every three days. Not near enough with coco (or even without in the desert). Installed drip lines - Girls be mo' better.

panick503

Yep. I was only giving 5 gallons per hole every three days. Not near enough with coco (or even without in the desert). Installed drip lines - Girls be mo' better.

Damn just 5 gallons every 3 days in that heat? For plants that big? Im suprised that was enough for them to even survive, coco or not..

R

Robrites

Damn just 5 gallons every 3 days in that heat? For plants that big? Im suprised that was enough for them to even survive, coco or not..

Former Coast Range grower where 5 a week was plenty. Also, hole size.

R

Robrites

Progress

Progress

Making good progress after increasing water, foliar spraying with Pro-TeKt and root drenching with Calmag Plus. Next week gypsum will be here and help with the sulfur shortage. Most of the lower branches have unfolded their leaves and are looking much better. The Main top has improved and one branch looks like hell. Might have to chop that one.

picture.php

The Ugly

picture.php

Last edited:

Hunswayne

How do u send a damn pm lol milky Joe nice crops there chief, what strain? I got some GC in 100G smarties yellowing all of a sudden about 3 weeks into flower, any ideas? Feed sonic bloom and tiger bloom 20 gallons each every other day. My blue knights are luscious green just the cracks yellowing, hate to lose em

milkyjoe

Veteran
How do u send a damn pm lol milky Joe nice crops there chief, what strain? I got some GC in 100G smarties yellowing all of a sudden about 3 weeks into flower, any ideas? Feed sonic bloom and tiger bloom 20 gallons each every other day. My blue knights are luscious green just the cracks yellowing, hate to lose em

What is sonic bloom?

Madjag

Veteran

We planted in large, open spaces - alluvial flats near the creek, between the camouflage of trees and shrubs in our canyon. Our 5 HP Briggs and Stratton pump spilled out 10,000 gallons per hour into our many berms through one major 2" hose to several 1" hoses and finally to 10 or so garden hoses.

I figure every plant got somewhere in the vicinity of 100 gallons of water per watering, once a week.

But hey, it was very sandy soil with incredible drainage. Luckily it was also volcanic dust that had accumulated and formed these alluvial flats along the creek over 1,000s of years. Some flats were 20 feet above the creek level and one, the highest, was 70 feet above the creek.

We planted in large, open spaces - alluvial flats near the creek, between the camouflage of trees and shrubs in our canyon. Our 5 HP Briggs and Stratton pump spilled out 10,000 gallons per hour into our many berms through one major 2" hose to several 1" hoses and finally to 10 or so garden hoses.

I figure every plant got somewhere in the vicinity of 100 gallons of water per watering, once a week.

But hey, it was very sandy soil with incredible drainage. Luckily it was also volcanic dust that had accumulated and formed these alluvial flats along the creek over 1,000s of years. Some flats were 20 feet above the creek level and one, the highest, was 70 feet above the creek.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=34990&pictureid=913593&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=34990&pictureid=913595&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

looking good man..your lucky to be able to have a pump and a water source like that.that has to be near the colorado river cause theres barely any water untill rocky point lol. fire arizona lemon lime reggie spears in the winter time is the best those were my first beans that got me hooked on being a greenthumb.did you do any tubing in the salt river this season ? take it easy.