What's new

Desert Grow - Heat Stress or Mites?

the gnome

Veteran
looking at the 1st pic, you don't have broad mites from what I'm seeing.
#2 if you had BMs the plants are toast 10-14 days from the time your seeing obvious
symptoms from the BM toxin.
it's a very fast paced thing.

the op said he scoped with a 100x scope.
BMs start on the youngest newest leaves and progress out from there.
so scope the newest leave, the egg sacs are very distinct, you can't miss em.
that's what i look for 1st if i suspect BMs.
here's what they look like

Broad_mite_eggs_pepper1.jpg

R

Robrites

looking at the 1st pic, you don't have broad mites from what I'm seeing.
#2 if you had BMs the plants are toast 10-14 days from the time your seeing obvious
symptoms from the BM toxin.
it's a very fast paced thing.

the op said he scoped with a 100x scope.
BMs start on the youngest newest leaves and progress out from there.
so scope the newest leave, the egg sacs are very distinct, you can't miss em.
that's what i look for 1st if i suspect BMs.
here's what they look like

View Image
Ya, I am finding a few totally round eggs..look like spider mite eggs maybe...but no eggs with dots...new higher power scope will arrive tuesday...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are a number of natural growths on a leaf surface/underside that can resemble eggs. Sap, moisture, sessile trichomes and one another whose name escapes me. There are more than what I've listed. Finding a juvenile or adult is not difficult if present. Pests are slow moving cows (re: grazers) for the most part.

R

Robrites

There are a number of natural growths on a leaf surface/underside that can resemble eggs. Sap, moisture, sessile trichomes and one another whose name escapes me. There are more than what I've listed. Finding a juvenile or adult is not difficult if present. Pests are slow moving cows (re: grazers) for the most part.

I looked again this morning..see lots of sparkly stuff but sure a few are eggs from something...look like fat milky trichomes without the pedestal. I have poor near vision and a 10 dollar scope so I can't possibly be missing anything!:)

Sent soil to the lab this morning and a 250x USB scope will get here tomorrow evening.

I am tempted to throw all sorts of things at this problem but doing my best to wait for science.

I'm just west of you and see the same thing if my plants are not keep heavily watered everyday. I find high coco runs show stress especially fast if not watered a lot (ec issues). The sun and wind here really stresses quickly. Make sure to keep enough food going to the plants as well. Lots of sun and water can leave levels low.

Mites- get clean and be careful who you get cuts from.

R

Robrites

I'm just west of you and see the same thing if my plants are not keep heavily watered everyday. I find high coco runs show stress especially fast if not watered a lot (ec issues). The sun and wind here really stresses quickly. Make sure to keep enough food going to the plants as well. Lots of sun and water can leave levels low.

Mites- get clean and be careful who you get cuts from.

Regardless of the outcome of this grow, I will never accept a cut from someone else again. They are probably the number one source of problems. After this season - only seeds I breed myself.

On coco - I had read that coco held more water and more oxygen - seemed like a win. I tried it on some auto flowers last winter and they came out super. I think you are on to something with the heat and wind.

FatherEarth

Veteran
one thing you cant mistake is mite shit. black, or dark green grenades, dots or piles, mite shit.

non glandular trichomes are often mistaken as eggs...

milkyjoe

Veteran
If you measure the pH of coco it is nearly neutral. That has to mean it is full of base cations...what do you reckon the chances are it is close to albrecht ratios? Send some in to Logan and check it out for yourself...I bet it contains something that causes fast, green growth that lacks Ca.

Plus eating coconuts produces anti microbal properties. I assume some of those compounds exist in the coir.

Peat, on the other hand, has a very low pH. Not many base cations but a bunch of carbon. You are free to add those cations in whatever ratios you like

R

Robrites

If you measure the pH of coco it is nearly neutral. That has to mean it is full of base cations...what do you reckon the chances are it is close to albrecht ratios? Send some in to Logan and check it out for yourself...I bet it contains something that causes fast, green growth that lacks Ca.

Plus eating coconuts produces anti microbal properties. I assume some of those compounds exist in the coir.

Peat, on the other hand, has a very low pH. Not many base cations but a bunch of carbon. You are free to add those cations in whatever ratios you like

the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry:)

I used peat for 20 years...thought I was making an upgrade.

There is so much information out there...hard to figure what "right" is.

The soil left for Logan Monday.

Last edited:
R

Robrites

Close Ups

Close Ups

Got my plugable usb microscope last night...man this thing is fun.

And useful too

picture.php

picture.php

These are the blobs I thought might be eggs.

panick503

Its those little blobs you took pictures of. They're always present even veg. If you had that many eggs you would be seeing some mites

milkyjoe

Veteran
the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry:)

I used peat for 20 years...thought I was making an upgrade.

There is so much information out there...hard to figure what "right" is.

The soil left for Logan Monday.

I am not picking. We all try new things...I may be the worst.

But...I bet you before the test comes back, way high K.

R

Robrites

I am not picking. We all try new things...I may be the worst.

But...I bet you before the test comes back, way high K.

You might be on to something there...It wasn't too long after I gave them bloom booster that this started. Is there a solution to high K?