What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

depression and anxiety

relic1981

Veteran
does anybody else have a real hard time with anxiety and or depression? i am diagnosed with paniic disorder w/ agoraphobia, and am on tranquilizers for it. i do not feel like the medicine, (clonopin, and xanax) ive been on both, works well unless i medicate with cannabis too. anyone else have this problem? what works best for you? im a little reluctant to tell my whole story in detail but i can say the anxiety definatly has a negative impact on my quality of life. i find myself so freaked out and panicked (i feel like im having a heart attack and going crazy, hotflashes, electic feeling in my lungs, etc) ive been dealing with this since i was 18 and i would classify myself as managing but i would like to improve my quality of life more.

relic1981

Veteran
any imput is much appreciated and valued. thank you in advance. i think if i found more people out there with a similar problem i can finally regain power over it. i feel like im the only one with this issue a lot of the time... even though i know there are other people out there with this problem. does anyone else feel like this?

b8man

Veteran
I've gone through periods of depression and have just come off Zoloft for a bought of anxiety attacks with the same symptoms as you mentioned. And honestly, I'm not sure weed is your friend when you're trying to teach your body and brain to deal with stressful situations.

There are too many stoners I know who have had these same panic attacks for me not to suspect there is a link with the weed. I suspect that if you avoid all stress by being permanently medicated that it's easier for a panic attack to be initiated when a very stressful situation occurs - as if your brain has lost it's ability to handle them. And once your body has experienced that drastic way of dealing with the stress it is easier for future attacks to happen.

But hey man - you've got access to some amazing strains and I'd find it hard to give that up. But maybe consider some 1:1 CBD THC strains to see if they balance things out at all.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
I agree with b8man. If you want to use cannabis for treating anxiety and/or depression, use it as a tool for introspection. Do some deep searching and find out what is causing these ticks, then address them sober. Keep yourself in the present moment.

It also helps to exercise, eat well, keep the booze to a minimum, and stay active in your day to day. Find a purpose for yourself, many people feel lost without a sense of worth.

Make sure you're getting enough healthy fats from things like hemp seeds, chia, lecithin. These keep your brain operating well, insulating the nerves, preventing crossed signals. Proper digestion is also a key to the proper function of the rest of your body, brain included.

Yoga, and an herbal tea blend of Eleuthero, Gingko, Gotu, St. John's Wort, and Tulsi will work wonders.

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

― Laozi

Good luck.

Claude

Veteran
Hi,
Just some word that could help.

Accept your situation, recognize that you are sick and do not bother what other can say, you know you need that medecine.

There are strain that are more efficient for you!

Respect
Claude

relic1981

Veteran
I agree with b8man. If you want to use cannabis for treating anxiety and/or depression, use it as a tool for introspection. Do some deep searching and find out what is causing these ticks, then address them sober. Keep yourself in the present moment.

It also helps to exercise, eat well, keep the booze to a minimum, and stay active in your day to day. Find a purpose for yourself, many people feel lost without a sense of worth.

Make sure you're getting enough healthy fats from things like hemp seeds, chia, lecithin. These keep your brain operating well, insulating the nerves, preventing crossed signals. Proper digestion is also a key to the proper function of the rest of your body, brain included.

Yoga, and an herbal tea blend of Eleuthero, Gingko, Gotu, St. John's Wort, and Tulsi will work wonders.

Good luck.

i agree with him to and i dont want to give the impression that i drift through life on a cloud of medicated smoke. i do have an excercise routine i do and that helps my anxiety, i think, more than anything else. i try and eat as best as possible( organic fresh food whenever possible) i dont drink (maybe once a year, if that often), i keep myself busy, ive been studying buddhism for over 12 years, i meditate ( and try and always be in the present) i do yoga and i have a purpose driven life. so i feel i have the bases covered as far as what i should be doing. i also minored in philosophy in college so i am a very logical person but sometimes all that still goes out the window and ill have a bad one. (panic) i also use bioavailable multivitamen and vitamin b sublingual supplement, hemp seed oil for omega's, valerian root extract and a anti stress tincuture made locally called anxiet- ease or something like that.

i can say honestly that in my situation that herb does help when im overly stressed (which could lead to a panic attack) and it helps me come out of a panic attack. that said, just as with any other drug, i and we need to respect that it is a drug that has an effect on our bodies (good or bad) and i definitely agree with the "if you don't use em you loose em" when it comes to neurological pathways and neurons firing and their reception.
i am aware of the risks and rewards of this fine plant and always take them into consideration when im feeling anxious. (for the most part id say its managble on a daily level, i am aware of my triggers and force myself out of my comfort zone to practice handling stressful situations...but, and its a big but, i get sneaker waves that hit me, panic attacks that come on suddenly for no apparent reason). thats when i start taking deep breaths and just try and be, accept its happening and try to thinkk positively.(instead of getting stuck in a negative cycle of thoughts which can happen because i start having very rapid thoughts. the one thing that's different about cannabis is it does give me that introspective opportunity and it helps me treat the problem and not just the symptoms like the other med im on. its healing, or so it seems to be, in this case.

thanks for the posts everyone... really appreciate your input on this and i appreciate you not making me feel awkward about posting this. much love

relic1981

Veteran
oh and i think someone metioned or asked if i was into the cbd strains and the answer is yes im interested in them but no i have not been able to acquire any of them. i hear harlequin is a good one. sp? any input on other cbd and non cbd strains that could help is much appreciated too.

thanks again !

elanius

Veteran
Hey relic,

there are opinions, that problems of mind may be connected to intestines dissorders. You seemed to have other areas covered well, so maybe this is something to consider. Good luck to you!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Weed Strains And Their Uses

Weed Strains And Their Uses

any imput is much appreciated and valued. thank you in advance. i think if i found more people out there with a similar problem i can finally regain power over it. i feel like im the only one with this issue a lot of the time... even though i know there are other people out there with this problem. does anyone else feel like this?

As you know,there are many different types of weed, with different types of effect.

There are three main broad effects - narcotic, euphoric, and psychedelic.

Psychedelic weed - boredom, inspiration, creativity. Don't use if you are panicky, psychotic, or suffer from insomnia. In other words, situations in which you don't want to be hyped up. Strains - tropical sativas mainly, like Haze, Malawi Gold, B-52, Thai weed, Vietnamese weed.

Narcotic weed - indica, against physical pain, insomnia. Not good with depression. The worst trip I ever had was on Aurora Indica, very narcotic, but when unripe the distant Thai starts making your mind race while heavily stoned and dwell on negativity (you could call it an examination of conscience), and it is so strong that the trip lasts for hours. I did that twice, and didn't touch the AI until it was much more cured. Strains would be mainly indica like Afghani #1, Mazar-i-sharif, Pakistan Valley.

Euphoric weed - against depression, including from physical pain. The sub-tropical Mexican landraces are famous for this - Acapulco Gold, Michoacan, Skunk #1, Jack Herer, Jock Horor. Just put up a comedy album, and watch the blues disappear.

I have mentioned mainly landraces, and most of the weed out there is a combination of strains, and as a result has many varying degrees of effect.

I haven't seen it done yet, but wouldn't it be interesting if bi-polar disorder could be remedied by two different strains of weed - a narcotic strain during the highs, and a euphoric strain during the lows.

relic1981

Veteran
thanks... i know my stuff when it comes to genetics and i agree with you on the threee main categories and what you said about them.

i have thought the same thing about bipolar disorder being treated with cannabis. different strains for the highs and lows. in theory it makes perfect sense.. it would be really interesting to see a study done on that. does anyone have any anecdotal evidence on that topic? i think cannabis and phychology are going to be more intertwined in the near future.and physiologically speaking, we have endogenous cannibinoid receptors (as well as opiod recepter/ endorphins: morphine within) so its clear we have eveolved to be able to use this plant on a medicinal level as well as recreational. i love good soaring sativas in the morning, something a little lighter mid day that is uplifting and indica dominate at night for rest and recuperation.

I suffered debilitating anxiety attacks for about 27 years. Then I went back and revisited Viet Nam, made peace with the land and the people, and the anxiety attacks disappeared. The drug I used to deal with this anxiety, for the last 12 years at least, was valium - a wonder drug for me. After the VN trip, no more valium.

Still, I'm hypersensitive the the THC high. Too much THC and I start back into that mental realm where acute anxiety can occur - usually it doesn't, but it sure feels like it's coming on. I take a dab of RSO made from The Kali, a strain that is only a smidgeon higher in CBD than most other marijuana, and I sleep like a baby for 8 hours or so. Before the oil I was only getting between 4 and 6 hours per night. But if I take too much of this oil, I start getting a bit anxious.

I recently got a couple of Harlequin clones from Cloneville in Seattle and am looking forward to making some oil out of this. At the same time I got these clones, I picked up 4 grams or so of a high CBD strain called Tora Bora - 10% CBD-5% TCH. This is the only bud I have ever smoked that I am not afraid of. Very mellow high; uplifting with no anxiety, mind racing, or depression. Hope my Harlequin has the same characteristics.

The point of my writing is that you have to discover the original source of your anxiety, face it off directly (for however long it takes - in my case 27 years), then make peace with this source of anxiety - if possible. In my case, I was very lucky to have a country full of beautiful little people who accepted my apologies with open arms and hearts. I feel so very, very sad for the soldiers coming back from the middle east wars; I can't imagine that there is much back there to go back to and make peace with.

Good luck

relic1981

Veteran
right on, thanks for sharing that. wow 27 years, thats a long time, congrats on getting through it and past it. going back to vietnam must have been hard but i can see why it relieved you at the same time. you are absolutly corect, one has to face their fears and figure out the source of the problem before real recovery can begin. i take comfort knowing im on the right track( facing my fears, and dealing with the real causes of my anxiety among numerous other things, see above) however i do get discouraged sometimes, which i think is normal human nature, but i dont let it get me down anymore and i am living my life full throttle. i have so many things in my life i am thankful for and just a few that i am not. its easy to have a pity party for yourself but it really hurts more than it help (duh) picking yourself back up when your down and constantly looking ahead and not behind are also important. that said the other big thing is to stay in the now and not worry about the future either. plan for it but dont be afraid of it because then you become afraid to live and thats when the really bad depression and anxiety set in. you feel alone and isolated even when people are around and life is seen more as a chore than a gift.. not a place id like to return too.

good posts everyone!:tiphat:

40shades

I just think you need to break your current negative thought process this can only happen with a point of realisation from yourself.As mention above by tazanianmagic euphoric cannibas can be helpful in this situation as it has mood elevating properties blueberry and Ae77 cali-o clone crosses are famous this.hope this helps and that you are well

paint4420

I had the same issues and have delt with depression since I was 7. For me I found alcohol sugar and caffine as a huge source of the depression anger and anxiety. After I cut those out I could concentrate on my mental thought process. Basically how I view the world and now at nearly 30 years old I feel like I finally have a handle on the situation.

There is a program called defeating anxiety and depression. Its a series of tapes and work books that is basicly cogniative therapy, stress managment and coping skills I know alot of people will be turned off by the idea of listening to tapes. I was they same way but after I gave it a chance I relized that there are many many people like you and me.

The program costs a fair amount of money But I would be happy if not thrilled to send you the program files free of cost as thats how I got them.

It sounds like you have alot of very good habits and I think this tape will show you how to use the tools you have given yourself. No medicine no artificial drugs. Just good ole fashion logic.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Exercise!

Eat Healthy!

Use your brain!

Have a healthy sex life!

Maintain friendships!

this will cure your ailments much faster than any pill.

relic1981

Veteran
I had the same issues and have delt with depression since I was 7. For me I found alcohol sugar and caffine as a huge source of the depression anger and anxiety. After I cut those out I could concentrate on my mental thought process. Basically how I view the world and now at nearly 30 years old I feel like I finally have a handle on the situation.

There is a program called defeating anxiety and depression. Its a series of tapes and work books that is basicly cogniative therapy, stress managment and coping skills I know alot of people will be turned off by the idea of listening to tapes. I was they same way but after I gave it a chance I relized that there are many many people like you and me.

The program costs a fair amount of money But I would be happy if not thrilled to send you the program files free of cost as thats how I got them.

It sounds like you have a lot of very good habits and I think this tape will show you how to use the tools you have given yourself. No medicine no artificial drugs. Just good ole fashion logic.

right on thank you!

i want to thank everyone for their input! i hope to continue this dialog and help others that suffer from anxiety and or depression or any hardship for that matter. it has been reassuring to me and i hope others have and are getting something out of it too.

so it seems like im doing all the right things and currently things are definitely managleable so that's good. i still only get 6-7 hours of sleep at best but it dosnt seem to be negatively affecting me. maybe thats just me getting older. seems like the key here is to break the negative thought process as soon as i notice it. being in the moment helps tremendously with that and its rather refreshing. so is exercising, eating well, trying to get the best quality sleep possible. its all refreshing compared to being panicky. i wouldn't wish that on anyone, sux! feels like im having a bad trip when i have an "episode". no me gusta. its been awhile since Ive had a panic attack so i hope i can keep it going. or shall i say i will keep it going.
peace

paint4420

You are allready using alot of the princibles and thought tools in the tape. And its nice to know they work for other people

Always think positive. Negativity feeds negativity

Negative thinking and positive thinking are habits. you can break them or make them!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found I tend to ruminate if I'm not taking antidepressant/anxiety Rx....spinning thoughts, part of the GAD. With the exercise (gardening, walking, xc skiing) it helps. Having chronic pain creates the depression....hard to motivate....brain says yes, body screams no! I do the best I can. Most days are good, but fall into the sleep mode (mainly to be a pain distractor), like recharging batteries.

I hybridized an auto that helps with both pain, and motivates me, a good feeling endorphin kick, yet not over the top.

Knowing what triggers episodes is invaluable. Then find the right combination of activities (spiritual, physical, mental, emotional) is key to help keeping in check, along with healthy eating. I find magnesium, Vitamin B's & D helps, Omegas, too.....fish, capsules or chia seeds having O 3-6-9. Not the magic bullet, but even a small difference is HUGE with those of us afflicted by brain/neuron imbalance.

I know depression/anxiety is a mental illness; striving a moment at a time, a day at a time.....I don't buy into the stigma. Millions of us suffer.....

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Hey relic,

there are opinions, that problems of mind may be connected to intestines dissorders. You seemed to have other areas covered well, so maybe this is something to consider. Good luck to you!

Hi elanius, Curious.....where did you learn of that? Interesting