What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DEFOLIATION::the_Feild_Test::

vprising909

Twists and Turns

Twists and Turns

Last thoughts of the day...

I definitely think that chopping these leaves is forcing the plant to produce more new growth than is untended. I'm still on the fence about whether this will help the buds, though.

I think this process is beneficial, too, in the sense that it helps leaves reach the light with minimal contorsion. Take a look at this picture:
0611101543.jpg

Looks like a bunch of crap, right? Exactly. As you can tell, the remaining leaves are twisted, some are upside down. At first I thought that the leaves were droopy, maybe because they were stressed. Then I thought maybe this is from me molesting the plant too much. As I pruned the next plant, though, I realized that this was just the way they were growing. We've all seen branches twist and turn to reach for light, but I must admit I've never really noticed how leaves do this (especially this early in the cycle). Perhaps this will help newly developed leaves focus more on growing and less on searching... maybe not...

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Eureka!

I noticed today how symmetrical the new growth is. This type of growth is typical from seed, but when the plant is switched to 12/12 the growth becomes asymmetrical as it buds As you remember these clones are from a budding plant. This type of symmetrical growth is not typical this early in vegging. I am wondering if this could be from the defoliation. Could removing old leaves have encourage correct growth of new ones?

Too cool!

0610100819.jpg

hi, symmetrical = seedling, asymmetrical = maturing plant. this has nothing to do with the defoliation.

this is called opposite phyllotaxy and alternate phyllotaxy.

i only start plucking those bitches bare after week 3 flower...all this plucking during veg is craziness! also again at week6 or 7 cause they grow back quite fast! its a weed keep it simple dudes! :whistling:

Nice thread brah. I've been following k33ftr33z thread from the beginning.

I'm currently trying this out for the first time as well and I'm glad to see more growers starting new threads on the subject.

Keep up the great work.

Knowledge is power.

Subscribed.

Yea i dont think doing it in veg has any more benefits than flowering...

I just did half of my room of bubba Kush, and they are look pretty nice and naked :)

The other half is bushy but the buds are a tad bit bigger for now...

to be continued... Pictures will be coming soon with my iphone :)

vprising909

I just did half of my room of bubba Kush, and they are look pretty nice and naked :)

I'm skeptical, too! But looking at keeftree's thread makes my mouth water.

Jobey

I'm liking this thread... but I think you're over-doing it. The fan leaves ARE needed on some basis for photosynthesis... that being said I also believe in trimming top fan leaves that block light from getting to lower nodes... it helps my plants grow out better, and especially in the first few weeks of flower it helps multiple bud-sites develop. I believe this technique increases yeild, if you look at anything in nature you can see a common pattern... response to stimuli.. so if leaves are being cut and the plants thinking "f*ck im being munched on" it's obviously going to react by growing faster to try to counterbalance the offset. Just my 2 cents

BIG JT

defoliation

defoliation

i'll be testing this method right along side you bro. gotta wait for this powercloner to show me some roots and ill have pictures up from day 1 all the way through, it'll be interesting to compare. this is my second grow and im gonna give aero a shot, we'll see how green this thumb really is

vprising909

I share the same concerns... my plants are starting to look OUT OF CONTROL!!!

vprising909

I'm liking this thread... but I think you're over-doing it. The fan leaves ARE needed on some basis for photosynthesis... that being said I also believe in trimming top fan leaves that block light from getting to lower nodes... it helps my plants grow out better, and especially in the first few weeks of flower it helps multiple bud-sites develop. I believe this technique increases yeild, if you look at anything in nature you can see a common pattern... response to stimuli.. so if leaves are being cut and the plants thinking "f*ck im being munched on" it's obviously going to react by growing faster to try to counterbalance the offset. Just my 2 cents

I absolutely agree. What I was hoping to see was some magic or enigma. After what they looked like today I must say I agree with you 100 percent.

vprising909

UPDATE:

I just trimmed the plants again. They're getting full... VERY VERY FULL. I'm going to flip them on Sunday. I just can't see them vegging any longer.

The plants are almost overgrown with leaves The plants are still green and pretty (and the OG already has that scent). I've noticed that there are a lot of potential budsites. I'm going to predict that there are TOO MANY potential budsites. I think that vegging for a couple weeks just by itself is beneficial, but this is nuts! I'm seeing results that are similar to FIM, just wayyyyyy faster. I'm getting kind of freaked out...

The leaves I stripped this week were small and numerous. Jobey made a comment about stimuli... spot on.

I'm still holding out on some sort of positive effect. The afgoo is stacked solid and the OG has a nice size and shape. I will post on Sunday or Monday after I flipped 'em.

Cause vegging is boring.

are you just cutting the fan leaves at the main stem? I have some plants in flower right now that i would like to try this on. Especially the Gorilla Grape, it is bushy as hell. Thanks in advance.

usda101

A lot of peeps saw that thread i have so much inventory im also dedicating part of my garden for expmtn with it .That would be lovely to be able to crowd more in a small space with that technique.

Latest posts

Latest posts